Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16733842 times)

Carl_Smith and 74 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #81700 on: February 06, 2021, 05:41:11 am »
Saskia - Happy Birthday!!

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #81701 on: February 06, 2021, 05:43:05 am »
I just checked. The 3456A I'm getting has the transistor in back therefore no fan.  :-+

Disappointing for us some of us would look forward to another 'special' fan mod from you :-DD

Stop reminding everyone or else I'll be forced to post the picture again...and again....and again.  :P :P :-DD

Yes, please.

I'm getting the heebie-jeebies just having these not-so-casual references thrown around.  The memory is haunting enough.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #81702 on: February 06, 2021, 06:27:22 am »
pssssst... Brumby...   BOOTY-FAB! :-DD

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #81703 on: February 06, 2021, 07:10:12 am »
And 9 hours after my last sledge  >:D Home and pleased I didn't buy a Subaru wagon, Aussie made Ford for the win  :-DD

Spent way to long picking up the Saw as the 'semi' retired 74 year old process/chem Engineer and I got to chatting ;) Saw is in great condition and already has a modded bearing blade guide that will do nicely.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #81704 on: February 06, 2021, 08:54:09 am »
Spent way to long picking up the Saw as the 'semi' retired 74 year old process/chem Engineer and I got to chatting ;)

Hands up who's done that with TEA gear....     ::)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, wolfy007, cyclin_al

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #81705 on: February 06, 2021, 08:55:22 am »

mnem

Burn in hell (just a suggestion).

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81706 on: February 06, 2021, 09:39:40 am »
The 3456A will be delivered Monday.  :-+ :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81707 on: February 06, 2021, 10:01:58 am »
If they don’t send it to the wrong country. Still got my UPS package stuck in Germany which was from UK to UK  :palm:

My ADSL router blew up last night at 6:30pm. Phoned Zen and they said they’d send another one out next day. Well surprisingly it just turned up at 09:45!  I am impressed. Delivery via DPD.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81708 on: February 06, 2021, 10:06:02 am »

mnem

Your wish is my command.  8) 8)

I take no prisoners.  :P :P :P :-DD :-DD 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81709 on: February 06, 2021, 10:14:16 am »
Bwuhahahahaha  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #81710 on: February 06, 2021, 10:15:38 am »
Finished dinner and still have a few hours to get the horrors of the 'fan' photo out of my mind  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #81711 on: February 06, 2021, 10:21:00 am »
Where's that "report to moderator" link when you need it.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #81712 on: February 06, 2021, 10:21:53 am »
Finished dinner and still have a few hours to get the horrors of the 'fan' photo out of my mind  :-DD

It's going to take more than that....

.... and I'm fresh out of brain bleach. 

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81713 on: February 06, 2021, 10:23:42 am »
If they don’t send it to the wrong country. Still got my UPS package stuck in Germany which was from UK to UK  :palm:

My ADSL router blew up last night at 6:30pm. Phoned Zen and they said they’d send another one out next day. Well surprisingly it just turned up at 09:45!  I am impressed. Delivery via DPD.
It will be interesting to see the address label on your awol parcel when it does arrive, to see if it was printed or hand written. Either way it’s a shit show and a half.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81714 on: February 06, 2021, 10:27:52 am »

mnem

Please do us all a favour and keep that scarecrow in prison at your place and never release her  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81715 on: February 06, 2021, 10:33:22 am »

It will be interesting to see the address label on your awol parcel when it does arrive, to see if it was printed or hand written. Either way it’s a shit show and a half.

Ok it was one I sent and it had a UPS standard label on it  :-//

£65 down thanks to that. Arguing with UPS and Packlink about it still.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81716 on: February 06, 2021, 10:53:02 am »
He listed a lot of Tornado instruments and switchgear etc at the same time, no variant details though, obviously.

I do wonder how many govmint web crawlers were triggered off his description... would have been smarter to list it as an IR source, though I suspect it will have been "demilitarised".

It is certainly Ex-RAF. The German NSN code and CAGE codes (there is one for MTU on the actual unit and LAND / AMETEK in the NSN listing) and the timing certainly point to it being Tornado ground support equipment. It does not appear to have been demilitarised, for this sort of stuff they would just smash it up. Interestingly, I've not seen any sign of a power / control box for them. If they are modulated it is likely that is where the waveforms were stored makingg it the critical bit regarding any security classification. That said the UK MOD released a bunch of PLGR GPSs which stlll had the crypto modules in them a few years ago......

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81717 on: February 06, 2021, 11:05:44 am »

mnem

I'm not sure which picture makes my stomach churn the most.

McBryce.

(Image deliberately removed from quote. Having it once in the thread is already one time too many)
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying, cyclin_al

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #81718 on: February 06, 2021, 11:06:42 am »
Yeah, yeah, yeah... So how are you gonna write off the Valve INDEX and STEAM VR Library...? :-DD

mnem
No, seriously. I wanna know how... >:D

well, since last Monday my job is to:
- push forward our deep learning machine translation system
- integrate our translation memories
- develop specifically trained models
- look into speech to text on GPU and FPGA
- look into OCR
- look into BOTs which sport their own NNs

My boss wants me to get out of the daily operational doing into the more architecture / directonal stuff
Prereq is that I know what I am doing. Another prereq is that I can slug it out with the other (especially HPC) guys in our company
So it is quite mandatory for me to build up skill fast.

Skills that I need to build up fast are:
CUDA / OpenCL
C / C++
Tensorflow, PyTorch
Plus of course all you could possibly need to know about neural networks and the deployment side of it, training them, setting up framework, ...

Also deliver ball park figures on how long it takes to train that stuff, hardware prereqs, energy consumption, ROI calculations, ...

And to do that I need first hand knowledge. Not something out of the book. you cannot really discuss things (especially pitfalls, show stoppers etc) when you have not overcome them yourself.
Now I have some first hand experience with Pascal (4 Tesla P100), some know how with Turing (several abused 2070s), and I need to get some Ampere know how.
For this I have a 3060ti, 3080 and 3090. you cannot get anything as powerful as a 3090 with 24GB of memory for less than what they charge you. The alternative would have been their quadro successor, which is an A6000 running an ampere GPU with 48 GB of mem. I cannot justify that as personal expense.

I currently have about 3 to 4 official proposals for improvement/increasing efficiency. If one of them gets accepted and implemented, I will get a sizeable portion of the savings (about 10 - 25% of the first year savings). Last time (last year) it amounted to about 40% of my annual salary which for a non management position in Germany is very high already.
If I can make this fly it will result in a promotion (to the last step in the non management career ladder) giving me a raise of about 10 - 15% of my income. Which is an outlook for which it is worth to invest 2200 €.

Apart from that the card will be used as an appartment heater when not working on Tensorflow models. That should give me a warm cuddly feeling and additional 10 - 15 USD ROI a day.

No playing with it though. The most challenging game I played was Civ 2 and even that was considerable time ago. And tbh I do not need 420 fps on Solitaire.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot, cyclin_al

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81719 on: February 06, 2021, 11:06:59 am »
I shall look out for a quiet one!  :-DD

Hp was selling a conversion kit at some point. My guess is that it was simply some wires and a aluminum plate that fit the hole in the back.

Kosmic,
Do you have more information about this change?
What exactly was the purpose - intention?

Regards, Frans
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #81720 on: February 06, 2021, 11:11:09 am »

I had a UPS one (expensive one) go to Austria before it came to Australia...  ::)

PS: Tracking was US, Asia then Austria and finally back to Australia.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81721 on: February 06, 2021, 11:11:32 am »
still waiting for several boxes. I am annoyed.
 The card also has not turned up yet.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81722 on: February 06, 2021, 11:13:01 am »

I had a UPS one (expensive one) go to Austria before it came to Australia...  ::)

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81723 on: February 06, 2021, 11:13:28 am »
He listed a lot of Tornado instruments and switchgear etc at the same time, no variant details though, obviously.

I do wonder how many govmint web crawlers were triggered off his description... would have been smarter to list it as an IR source, though I suspect it will have been "demilitarised".

It is certainly Ex-RAF. The German NSN code and CAGE codes (there is one for MTU on the actual unit and LAND / AMETEK in the NSN listing) and the timing certainly point to it being Tornado ground support equipment. It does not appear to have been demilitarised, for this sort of stuff they would just smash it up. Interestingly, I've not seen any sign of a power / control box for them. If they are modulated it is likely that is where the waveforms were stored makingg it the critical bit regarding any security classification. That said the UK MOD released a bunch of PLGR GPSs which stlll had the crypto modules in them a few years ago......

That's about right. Remember when Clinton turned off SA on GPS? That was actually because of a major key leak that they decided was going to be a political shit show if they owned up to it  :palm:

PS: Tracking was US, Asia then Austria and finally back to Australia.

I think that the guy who stuffed it in the cage must have been drunk that day. Australia, so probably true  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81724 on: February 06, 2021, 11:13:38 am »

Ok it was one I sent and it had a UPS standard label on it  :-//

£65 down thanks to that. Arguing with UPS and Packlink about it still.
Thats the problem these days, nobody wants to accept liability, despite their adverts stating that you get so much compensation free with their fee and then you add extra insurance if you like. They have no qualms about taking your money from for their services, but you paid for it to go point A to B, not C so you have had no service  :palm: :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf