Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16729901 times)

Vince, morris6 and 72 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #81625 on: February 05, 2021, 04:36:18 am »
Guys following up from my Texio cs-4125a scope: the guy doesn't want to sell it anymore... he is delusional since he never ever used the scope and thinks he can sell if for more. I contacted nearly all those who sell analog scopes, no scopes to be found now. most of them are broken or very expensive.

anyway, someone offered me his Hanmatek DOS1102 digital scope for about 115$. it is used with good condition but doesn't power on now since he didn't use it for a while and now sent to be repaired. he expects it to be repaired easily since it was fully functional before, so maybe power cord or input issue. this guy is a mechanical so he doesn't know a thing about electronics.

so is this scope any good?

the only issue i found with it is that it supports 5mv per division as maximum, not 1mv. so can i solve this by getting a x10 probe or amplifier of some sort?

anyway, right now this is the only scope available if its repair got it to work again for about 113$ (80 JOD).

I hope someone used it here to enlighten me about it. especially for using it to measure psu ripple and noise

The 'scope is a "clone" of the Owon SDS 1102, so there is a lot of information around about it.
Seems quite a nice Oscilloscope.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81626 on: February 05, 2021, 05:51:40 am »

the only issue i found with it is that it supports 5mv per division as maximum, not 1mv. so can i solve this by getting a x10 probe or amplifier of some sort?

Please understand that a "X10" probe divides the signal, not the other way around, so you'll end up with 1V indicated if you have an actual signal that's 10V if measured with a DMM or similar.

I know it divides the signal, maybe I wrote the wrong words in my post.

However, isn't there an amplifier probe or little product to address such issue? I mean I can hook an op-amp circuit to do so but this probably won't be that professional and accurate.

I am more interested now about the scope itself... I hope someone tried it before.

To amplify the signal, you will pretty much have to duplicate the normal analog input circuitry of your Oscilloscope.

A "clever trick" is often done with those models of multichannel analog 'scope where the vertical output of one of the channels is available at the rear of the instrument.
The signal is applied to channel (1) & the output of that channel to the second channel, giving more gain, & hence, the ability to see smaller signals.

Even this has limitations, though, chiefly increased noise on the resultant display.
This may also be a problem with an external amp, either professionally made, or "homebrew".

A possible alternative to a preamplifier is to observe the signal at 5mv/div, then save it to your PC.
It should be possible, using the PC software to create a "virtual" 1mv/div scale on that device's large screen.

Such a display would still be limited by the resolution of the original ADC, &, of course, is not "real time", but may solve your problem.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81627 on: February 05, 2021, 07:02:36 am »
(All directions vs. other directions)

I've seen bookshops over here that have a "Literature" section and a "Fiction" section. The staff couldn't tell me why a book was placed in one section not the other.

*Fuzzed* A whole section "Fiction" only for the bible?
S,CNR!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81628 on: February 05, 2021, 08:07:58 am »
Heads up for UK sellers and buyers on eBay: it’s £1 listing weekend.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81629 on: February 05, 2021, 08:13:36 am »
Anybody here with some experience with this tool?

SEQURE SQ-ES126 (code: BGSQES126, US$76.43)
https://ban.ggood.vip/WLKx​

I saw it in this video from JohnnyQ90:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KJoAAOSwn9Jfym5n/s-l1600.jpg

I'm finding it interesting because it looks like, that one can set the torque electronically.
And it is much cheaper than Wiha (and I'm a Wiha fanboy  :-DD )

How often would you need an exact torque on screws that size, and would you trust it to have given the correct torque?

The Wiha may be a bit more expensive, but you will not be disappointed by it's function and definitely by not the quality of the device. I have the Wiha for about a year now and it's worth every penny.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Neomys Sapiens

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #81630 on: February 05, 2021, 08:59:00 am »
The one thing that did make me wonder, though, was some of the B roads.  The speed limit for a few of the ones I traversed was generous to say the least - especially when they were 1.5 lanes wide, winding, undulating and with six foot vegetation brushing up to the bitumen.

THIS!!! ===>  https://youtu.be/39O4cmGt7g8?t=128

1.5 lanes? Luxury. The "unclassified" roads round here are often 1 lane wide, with hedges, and have the same speed limit (50mph).

As for the video, yes, you get careless people everywhere. Where driverless cars are involved such things turn the abstract "trolley dilemma" into something rather practical and immediate.
https://www.iflscience.com/editors-blog/trolley-dilemma-would-you-kill-one-person-save-five/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 09:02:24 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #81631 on: February 05, 2021, 09:13:41 am »
Anybody here with some experience with this tool?

SEQURE SQ-ES126 (code: BGSQES126, US$76.43)
https://ban.ggood.vip/WLKx​

I saw it in this video from JohnnyQ90:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KJoAAOSwn9Jfym5n/s-l1600.jpg

I'm finding it interesting because it looks like, that one can set the torque electronically.
And it is much cheaper than Wiha (and I'm a Wiha fanboy  :-DD )

How often would you need an exact torque on screws that size, and would you trust it to have given the correct torque?

The Wiha may be a bit more expensive, but you will not be disappointed by it's function and definitely by not the quality of the device. I have the Wiha for about a year now and it's worth every penny.

McBryce.

It is not a question, how often I would use it, it is more like "when I need it I need it."
On a daily basis, I do not need it. But I know, when I have it, I would use it even though it may not be necessary.
Because of this, I do not need that absolute accuracy but if I would need it, I would go for a Wiha, that's for sure.
I'm just interested, if this thing is any good e.g. quality of the bits, handling etc. Then I would add it to my toolset
which I'm using for my Repair-Bar engagement.

:palm:
I saw right now, that I did a copy&paste mistake. Here is the video from JohnnyQ90, which I've referred to.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 09:16:11 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #81632 on: February 05, 2021, 10:17:52 am »
All the better to pre choppy choppy stock for the Laser. Between this big boy and the Tracksaw I can't see me ever needing a Table Saw was part of the reason to go this size. Added feature is added likelihood of retaining the number of digits I was born with   :-+

You think?

Proportion of YouTube videos watched involving stand-alone mechanical saws that make me wince expecting digits or limbs to go flying:
Horizontal bandsaws10%
Table saws20%
Vertical bandsaws90%

Kickback or getting dragged into Tables saws is more like the 90% partly due to blade angles and also fence issues. Good pushsticks and methods are needed with all of them regardless
Yep, little stuff is where the highest risk is but often we're too lazy to mitigate risk.  :(

I used to have a evenings piece work sideline cutting a range of wedges for wedging the treads and risers in wooden stair construction and cut some 5 different sizes by the drum full.  :o
First cut was a 35mm wide wedge then split in half which was were real risk was and we had a tunnel covering the blade so to not wear any from the rear edge of the saw and anti kickback fingers on the inlet to the tunnel but it didn't stop one little swine one evening and flicked the sharp cornered little mongrel into the soft web between my thumb and forefinger to punch a good triangular divot and leak the red stuff big time. Put a funny look on my face I can tell you !   :rant:

Radial Arm Saws: Hold my beer.

I think that's more than a bit realistic  :palm: snipped from this video https://youtu.be/AHRwN99fGCY
Dado heads scare me more !
Who ever thought wobbling a saw blade at a few 1000rpm was a good idea.  :scared:
Continuing the wildly OT theme, I've had a liking for these very basic bench saws since I first used them in my teens some 40+ yrs back:

While this one is pretty neglected and has the blade locked up they are primarily a treadle saw that can rip or crosscut depending on which fence you use.
After losing a bigger 16" copy of one I built in a fire I snaffled an original 12" quite cheap some 5hrs drive away with roller tables and a 2hp 3ph motor so after visiting the daughter a few months later we detoured to pick the thing up and stuffed it in the back of a SUV and the roller beds on the roof rack.
These were made in NZ and of a somewhat simple fabrication and made to withstand the elements where you could leave them outside on a jobsite for months which looks like this one has spent some good while in the weather.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 10:19:47 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81633 on: February 05, 2021, 10:26:11 am »
Continuing the wildly OT theme, I've had a liking for these very basic bench saws since I first used them in my teens some 40+ yrs back:

An "entertaining" (and salutary) video for those that haven't been taught how to use a table saw:
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #81634 on: February 05, 2021, 10:34:17 am »

An "entertaining" (and salutary) video for those that haven't been taught how to use a table saw:
Didn't get 1/2 way through it and couldn't bear to watch the muppet a moment longer.  :palm:  :palm:
Unbelievable, he nearly lost his hand on video....fuckwit !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #81635 on: February 05, 2021, 10:42:40 am »
This Aussie dude knows how to use properly a table saw (and other tools as well):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNyGbxoEo6CQvaRVEvItxkA
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, beanflying

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #81636 on: February 05, 2021, 10:48:58 am »

Didn't get 1/2 way through it and couldn't bear to watch the muppet a moment longer.  :palm:  :palm:

Skip to 7:10 for tl;dr

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SawStop
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81637 on: February 05, 2021, 11:02:04 am »
 ;D ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81638 on: February 05, 2021, 11:07:16 am »
Heads up for UK sellers and buyers on eBay: it’s £1 listing weekend.
You beat me to it today then.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81639 on: February 05, 2021, 11:21:50 am »

Indeed, but give him his due. He was experienced, and knowingly did something dangerous to demonstrate the danger. When it was even more dangerous than he expected, he publicised that.

I salute anybody that doesn't mind looking foolish if helps others avoid mistakes.

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea, mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #81640 on: February 05, 2021, 11:46:12 am »
Guys following up from my Texio cs-4125a scope: the guy doesn't want to sell it anymore... he is delusional since he never ever used the scope and thinks he can sell if for more. I contacted nearly all those who sell analog scopes, no scopes to be found now. most of them are broken or very expensive.

anyway, someone offered me his Hanmatek DOS1102 digital scope for about 115$. it is used with good condition but doesn't power on now since he didn't use it for a while and now sent to be repaired. he expects it to be repaired easily since it was fully functional before, so maybe power cord or input issue. this guy is a mechanical so he doesn't know a thing about electronics.

anyway, right now this is the only scope available if its repair got it to work again for about 113$ (80 JOD).

I hope someone used it here to enlighten me about it. especially for using it to measure psu ripple and noise

The 'scope is a "clone" of the Owon SDS 1102, so there is a lot of information around about it.

I figured out it is a kinda clone but this is still a digital scope which should be a lot better that a 20 mhz analog one, despite being 5mv only.

As for 5mv sensitivity, does the measurement function be able to detect less values? like 1mv or 500uv or so? even if the smallest volt per division is 5mv.

the price is just 115$ though. I hope someone actually used it can comment here his experience.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #81641 on: February 05, 2021, 11:58:34 am »

I figured out it is a kinda clone but this is still a digital scope which should be a lot better that a 20 mhz analog one, despite being 5mv only.

As for 5mv sensitivity, does the measurement function be able to detect less values? like 1mv or 500uv or so? even if the smallest volt per division is 5mv.

the price is just 115$ though. I hope someone actually used it can comment here his experience.

Depending on the resolution of the screen you should be able to see signals at least as small as 500uV, but bear in mind scope measurement functions are not hugely accurate.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81642 on: February 05, 2021, 01:08:12 pm »
All is right in my little world and I don't give a shit about the rest of it.  :P My 6 container pack of coffee is out for delivery. And not a moment too soon. I'm down to the last 1/3 left in the last canister. I believe in "just in time delivery" but that's cutting it TOO close.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81643 on: February 05, 2021, 01:13:45 pm »
I'm just going to put this here. From the Swedish magazine "Populär Radio", December 1953.

Can you imagine the stink, smoke, flames, and PCB's when that big oil filled RIFA decides to puke it's guts?  :o :scared:

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81644 on: February 05, 2021, 01:24:16 pm »
I'm just going to put this here. From the Swedish magazine "Populär Radio", December 1953.

Can you imagine the stink, smoke, flames, and PCB's when that big oil filled RIFA decides to puke it's guts?  :o :scared:

Oil filled caps are a totally different kettle of fish to the scungy RIFAs we know & love, with 30-50 trouble free years not at all unusual for that class of cap.

They were never a cheap component back in the day, but for use in a piece of equipment which has to work 24/7 for years, expense wasn't a big concern.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81645 on: February 05, 2021, 01:29:08 pm »
I must stay off Ebay. I broke down. The price was right. It powers up, no error codes, good physical shape, and last cal date of 2007.

It's the same place that I bought the Fluke 8505A last year.

I think I may becoming an hp fan boy.  :-DD

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81646 on: February 05, 2021, 01:30:10 pm »

My point was that as it is the same as the Owon, you are more likely to find a lot more relevant information about it, than if was just a little known brand.
More people will have the Owon version, for a start, so your request might get real results.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81647 on: February 05, 2021, 01:30:58 pm »

Oil filled caps are a totally different kettle of fish to the scungy RIFAs we know & love, with 30-50 trouble free years not at all unusual for that class of cap.

They were never a cheap component back in the day, but for use in a piece of equipment which has to work 24/7 for years, expense wasn't a big concern.

Oh I realize that. Many of them are still in service.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81648 on: February 05, 2021, 02:11:56 pm »
I must stay off Ebay. I broke down. The price was right. It powers up, no error codes, good physical shape, and last cal date of 2007.

Ooh nice one. They’re really nice meters. Would like one myself  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #81649 on: February 05, 2021, 02:12:09 pm »
* BU508A is watching Papa Smurf wandering on the path of the volt-nuts ...     :-DD

Very nice one.  :-+ When you are checking for the caps, check also the crystal if it is the correct one for 60Hz.

Here you can find additional information:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/modyfing-50hz-to-60hz-hp-3456a/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf