Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16731285 times)

Everbrave and 72 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #81550 on: February 04, 2021, 12:19:28 pm »
The UK should not be allowed design anything to do with traffic control, they don't know what they are doing. See evidence below.

McBryce.

You say that, and yet in reality those mad (we call them magic roundabouts) actually do work rather well, and it always seems to be a quicker navigating your way around them. I think that the first one was an experimental one in Hemel Hempstead and now they are cropping  up at lots of roundabouts with 5 or more roads linking to them.

This video actually uses the same roundabout and shows how to use them and why it makes sense.

This video explains why the Americans dislike them and also explains why  they are going to have to get used to them because of increased safety and reduced emissions.

So as it turns out we Brits do indeed know a lot about traffic management and most of the world has been busy copying us.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Big roundabouts work well, unless somebody doesn't follow the rules.
If a car is already in the intersection others approaching, or just reaching the roundabout should give way to them.

The problem mainly arises, when two cars approach the intersection, of which one, car (1),  would normally enter the roundabout first, & hence have right of way.
If the driver of car(2) speeds up, so as to enter the system, the two vehicles are in danger of collision, so car(1) is forced to stop.

When car (1) attempts to move into the system after car (2) has gone, they are confronted by a convoy consisting of car(3), car(4) out to car(n).

With big systems, this sorts itself out after a while, but sends the driver of car(1) on their way highly stressed.

There has been an explosion of very small roundabouts.
Here, the problem is much worse.

Cars in an incoming road carrying more traffic both speed up, & tailgate each other, forcing their way through the roundabout, whilst the driver who should have had right of way has to stop, & is stuck with a tailback of indignant drivers behind him, who don't realise the situation, until car(1) finally gets a fleeting chance & takes it, when they each take his place in turn.

The mini-roundabout works fine for those drivers who "bull" their way through, but not so well for those on the other road.

Another delight is when authorities insist upon "beautifying" the centre island part, reducing visibility to the point where "you take your life in your hands", when you enter the thing.
You may well have right of way, but if someone entering can't see you,it doesn't help.

I have already mentioned the roundabout with a hill in the middle.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #81551 on: February 04, 2021, 12:20:40 pm »
I don't think the US has a monopoly on stupid drivers, it's a pretty international phenomena.

Russia and Australia seem to have more than their fair share of drunk/aggressively non-attentive drivers, US road ragers, and UK plain ignorant.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81552 on: February 04, 2021, 12:50:58 pm »
Very true, all it takes one small mistake, a moments lapse of concentration and then carnage can follow. But still roundabouts are pretty safe in general and fatal accidents have been slashed since they have been introduced in place of normal road junctions.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81553 on: February 04, 2021, 01:06:59 pm »

The one I chose has this novel clamping system that allows a flexible metal gooseneck to be attached either in a vertical or horizontal mode. The thinking here was that it would clamp onto my monitor shelf without obscuring the vision of the monitor if I use the horizontal mode. The next hurdle to overcome was the reach, and this one claimed to have a 23" gooseneck, just perfect.

When it arrived I was gob smacked to discover that the gooseneck was only 15", but if the top mounting was used and the lamp and lens module was taken into account, then the length was indeed 23", but 8" of that are not flexible and certainly 4" (the clamp) are not adding to its overall reach in the slightest.

I messaged the actual seller (in China) about the short gooseneck, and they say it is 15" long, but according to Amazon blurb it is 23". I'm not very happy about this, as I wanted 23" flexible arm to move about and pose it in the right position, as it happens I might just about get away with it mounted in the horizontal position, but 23" would give me greater capability.

What are your thoughts guys, am I right to make a fuss over this, or just accept it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifying-Stepless-Dimmable-Gooseneck-Magnifier/dp/B08QCX7N3M/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=desk+lamp+and+magnifier&qid=1612404198&sr=8-21

Probably has the same limitations as the one described by NMEM: cable too light, etc.
I modified mine by removing the control, install pwr supply (variable around 5V>> 5.2 V and it draws 2 Amp now. And replaced cables.
Lots of light.
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #81554 on: February 04, 2021, 01:10:33 pm »
All this discussions about roundabouts ....

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753

Offline Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81555 on: February 04, 2021, 01:32:28 pm »
@McBryce:

There is a used (refurbished) one but it comes with a calibration certificate:

https://www.instrumex.de/en/8165 - 810 Euro + VAT

And here is a used (refurbished) 34465A for 1275 Euro + VAT

https://www.instrumex.de/en/6818
Also: https://de.farnell.com/keithley/dmm7510-encore/dmm-tisch-7-5-stellig-10a-1kv/dp/3583025?st=dmm7510

(I have an "Encore" refurb DMM6500 unit on the way, at least in the UK it is significantly better value than the Keysight options)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 01:38:53 pm by Hydron »

The following users thanked this post: McBryce, BU508A

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81556 on: February 04, 2021, 02:06:31 pm »
The UK should not be allowed design anything to do with traffic control, they don't know what they are doing. See evidence below.

McBryce.

You say that, and yet in reality those mad (we call them magic roundabouts) actually do work rather well, and it always seems to be a quicker navigating your way around them. I think that the first one was an experimental one in Hemel Hempstead and now they are cropping  up at lots of roundabouts with 5 or more roads linking to them.

This video actually uses the same roundabout and shows how to use them and why it makes sense.

This video explains why the Americans dislike them and also explains why  they are going to have to get used to them because of increased safety and reduced emissions.

So as it turns out we Brits do indeed know a lot about traffic management and most of the world has been busy copying us.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Magic Roundabout is more fitting as "Magic Roundabout" was a children's program with hidden innuendo's about mind altering drugs.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81557 on: February 04, 2021, 02:28:52 pm »
I finally finished a Time Nut upgrade. The HP iPaq based monitor in my Trimble Thunderbolt GPSDO package failed. I decided to try upgrading to Lady Heather running on a Raspberry Pi. Only problem is I've never been a big Linux user and haven't touched it for at least 5 years. So compiling some code for for a beta version of LH will be no problem, right? :palm: So bought a 5" HDMI LCD with touchscreen and a Pi B (I already had another B).
So first problem was the compiler would not run on the old version of Raspbian on the Pi B. Tried updating Raspbian which was impossibly slow on the B. So I bought a Pi 3B did the compile on that and then put the SD card in the B. That worked OK. Then got the HDMI screen working, another pain. Next big pain was getting the serial port to work. Ordered a 3.3V RS232 chip and built that up and not too hard to get it working with a terminal program. Getting it to run in LH was another level. Final hurdle was a missing / in the config file. Got the touch screen workin next only to find it broke the serial port  |O.
Then looked at fitting it all in the existing case, an old HP System 1 1/2 width. This highlights the "maker" crap nature of the Pi, LCD and interface. It's easy to plug the Pi on the back of the display and get it running, but the LCD has no mountings and blocks the whole I/O port with no pass through.
And the HDMI connector sticks out the top. This meant I had to make a breakout ribbon cable for the I/O and turn the screen upside down to mount it at the top of the front panel. That was more display config changes (broke the comm port again  |O ).
So a lot more work than I wanted but the end result is good. Edit. Will add some panel markings later, machine is not accessible right now.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 02:37:36 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, Mortymore, bd139, factory, mansaxel, Kosmic, syau

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #81558 on: February 04, 2021, 02:37:04 pm »

Here's the sign for the Hemel roundabout. If it takes you more than 2s to understand it, you shouldn't be allowed behind a wheel.

That little yellow sign makes it incoherent. Other than that, it's OK.  :-DD

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #81559 on: February 04, 2021, 02:40:48 pm »
Meanwhile in Italy...

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #81560 on: February 04, 2021, 02:43:02 pm »

Here's the sign for the Hemel roundabout. If it takes you more than 2s to understand it, you shouldn't be allowed behind a wheel.

That little yellow sign makes it incoherent. Other than that, it's OK.  :-DD

Such signs are meant to be temporary and indicate something that you wouldn't be looking for unless you knew about it. In this case it looks like a new housing development.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #81561 on: February 04, 2021, 02:59:02 pm »
Meanwhile in Italy...

Belgium is worse. Here we have signs pointing to the left in French and to the right in Dutch.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81562 on: February 04, 2021, 03:04:33 pm »
All the better to pre choppy choppy stock for the Laser. Between this big boy and the Tracksaw I can't see me ever needing a Table Saw was part of the reason to go this size. Added feature is added likelihood of retaining the number of digits I was born with   :-+

You think?

Proportion of YouTube videos watched involving stand-alone mechanical saws that make me wince expecting digits or limbs to go flying:
Horizontal bandsaws10%
Table saws20%
Vertical bandsaws90%
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #81563 on: February 04, 2021, 03:37:30 pm »

...Todays addition to the tools 200+kg of Saw for about $2/kg. My Back is going Ouch pre pickup  :o  eBay auction: #303863440080

Great deal on what looks to be a proper hardcore woodworking tool, provided the rollers haven't gone all wobbly and gouged out. Especially if you have the space for it.  :-DD

Back in the day, before all power tool were handheld and powered by 18650 cells (well, before that was all you could get at the local Homeowner Hell), Milwaukee made a all-aluminum tri-roller benchtop/jobsite tablesaw with a very useful 8" x 8" cut. Thing weighed nothing and folded down in a few minutes. That line of gear of course became the red-haired stepchild once Li-powered everything hit the mainstream; they're just like tools by subscription with the battery habit.  |O

I picked one up for $40 at a local pawnshop just before we left Tejas... it got packed away with me never having a chance to use it even once.  :-[

mnem
*kicks dirt absently with one beclawed toe*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #81564 on: February 04, 2021, 03:54:52 pm »

... Milwaukee ...
I picked one up for $40 at a local pawnshop just before we left Tejas... it got packed away with me never having a chance to use it even once.  :-[

mnem
*kicks dirt absently with one beclawed toe*

My good wife gave me a Metabo mitre saw a couple years ago; the saw as morning birthday present, and in the evening when the extended family were over for dinner I got the leg and rollers stand  >:D

I can't have it ready and rigged all the time, but it packs away nicely, and is a wonderful force multiplier.

A proper table saw has a three-phase motor, by the way. And a 450mm or so blade. *chop*

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81565 on: February 04, 2021, 03:55:38 pm »
I finally finished a Time Nut upgrade. The HP iPaq based monitor in my Trimble Thunderbolt GPSDO package failed. I decided to try upgrading to Lady Heather running on a Raspberry Pi. Only problem is I've never been a big Linux user and haven't touched it for at least 5 years. So compiling some code for for a beta version of LH will be no problem, right? :palm: So bought a 5" HDMI LCD with touchscreen and a Pi B (I already had another B).
So first problem was the compiler would not run on the old version of Raspbian on the Pi B. Tried updating Raspbian which was impossibly slow on the B. So I bought a Pi 3B did the compile on that and then put the SD card in the B. That worked OK. Then got the HDMI screen working, another pain. Next big pain was getting the serial port to work. Ordered a 3.3V RS232 chip and built that up and not too hard to get it working with a terminal program. Getting it to run in LH was another level. Final hurdle was a missing / in the config file. Got the touch screen workin next only to find it broke the serial port  |O.
Then looked at fitting it all in the existing case, an old HP System 1 1/2 width. This highlights the "maker" crap nature of the Pi, LCD and interface. It's easy to plug the Pi on the back of the display and get it running, but the LCD has no mountings and blocks the whole I/O port with no pass through.
And the HDMI connector sticks out the top. This meant I had to make a breakout ribbon cable for the I/O and turn the screen upside down to mount it at the top of the front panel. That was more display config changes (broke the comm port again  |O ).
So a lot more work than I wanted but the end result is good. Edit. Will add some panel markings later, machine is not accessible right now.

Looking good  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81566 on: February 04, 2021, 03:56:41 pm »
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. 7.5 or 8.5 Meters are tempting, but don't really give me anything new that I would use. The features of the 6500 that interest me are the trending and data logging that it can do, especially that it can be viewed directly from the meter. The 7510 is on the wrong side of 4K and I couldn't justify an additional >3K for an extra digit (Steady down voltnuts! Just go along with me here).

As for the other suggestions: Source meter: Never really had a use for one. LCR Meter: I have a DER EE DE5000 that I'm very happy with. Motorbike: Haven't owned one since the 90's and I no longer have a license for one (and that's a good thing). My only other consideration would be a scope with a bigger screen (I currently use a Rigol MSO-1104Z), but I'd want something like an Agilent 4000 Series and these are also well outside the budget at the moment.

Thanks BU508A for the link, that's the cheapest I've seen it for so far. I should also mention, the Keithley 2000 wouldn't just be sitting on the desk being the second meter, I have 2 area that I work from and it would get moved to area 2 where I currently use a HP3478A which I would then sell.

McBryce.

I cannae blame ye for saying no to the broken bones machine I suggested; aside from the 2-wheeled Land-Yacht variety, they are a young man's toy (or an old Jedi Master's ;)) and the margin for error gets slimmer and slimmer every summer.  :-\

Then you suggested selling off the 3478A; and that is sortof just twisting the "tools I'm missing" knife, if you know what I mean. |O

Good hunting, McB!

mnem
   https://www.deviantart.com/t3ch82/art/Mad-man-with-a-box-silhouette-tree-345925679

*Currently suffering "Madman with A Box Who's Lost His Box" Syndrome...*
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 04:12:06 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81567 on: February 04, 2021, 04:09:31 pm »
...There has been an explosion of very small roundabouts.
Here, the problem is much worse.

Cars in an incoming road carrying more traffic both speed up, & tailgate each other, forcing their way through the roundabout, whilst the driver who should have had right of way has to stop, & is stuck with a tailback of indignant drivers behind him, who don't realise the situation, until car(1) finally gets a fleeting chance & takes it, when they each take his place in turn.

The mini-roundabout works fine for those drivers who "bull" their way through, but not so well for those on the other road.

Another delight is when authorities insist upon "beautifying" the centre island part, reducing visibility to the point where "you take your life in your hands", when you enter the thing.
You may well have right of way, but if someone entering can't see you,it doesn't help.   I have already mentioned the roundabout with a hill in the middle.

Yeah, this is the part that seems to be the big problem with the ones I've run into in the southern parts of the US; they're small and fast, and you are essentially trying to continuously merge across multiple lanes on a fucking blind curve. That is not just stoopit American; that is a fucking safety hazard.

mnem
Sure; build a gawddamn mini-park someplace where nobody who could use it (pedestrians) can get to it. What could possibly go wrong...? :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81568 on: February 04, 2021, 04:26:53 pm »

The one I chose has this novel clamping system that allows a flexible metal gooseneck to be attached either in a vertical or horizontal mode. The thinking here was that it would clamp onto my monitor shelf without obscuring the vision of the monitor if I use the horizontal mode. The next hurdle to overcome was the reach, and this one claimed to have a 23" gooseneck, just perfect.

When it arrived I was gob smacked to discover that the gooseneck was only 15", but if the top mounting was used and the lamp and lens module was taken into account, then the length was indeed 23", but 8" of that are not flexible and certainly 4" (the clamp) are not adding to its overall reach in the slightest.

I messaged the actual seller (in China) about the short gooseneck, and they say it is 15" long, but according to Amazon blurb it is 23". I'm not very happy about this, as I wanted 23" flexible arm to move about and pose it in the right position, as it happens I might just about get away with it mounted in the horizontal position, but 23" would give me greater capability.

What are your thoughts guys, am I right to make a fuss over this, or just accept it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifying-Stepless-Dimmable-Gooseneck-Magnifier/dp/B08QCX7N3M/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=desk+lamp+and+magnifier&qid=1612404198&sr=8-21

Probably has the same limitations as the one described by NMEM: cable too light, etc.
I modified mine by removing the control, install pwr supply (variable around 5V>> 5.2 V and it draws 2 Amp now. And replaced cables.
Lots of light.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/daniubanggood-swingarm-led-magnifier-review-hackable-and-a-steal-at-~-$25-us/msg2866148/#msg2866148

You mean this one from Bang-em-good...?

Yeah... definitely worth having, and since I modded the controller, it is very intuitive to use; the controller is placed right where you instinctively reach to position the thing anyways.  :-+ It just really needs to be rewired with 20ga sillycone wires (biggest that will fit through the hollow lampstem) which you can also get dirt cheap from Bang-em-good.

Mine is still in use, and still working a treat!

mnem
*knock on wood*
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 04:47:31 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: FransW

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #81569 on: February 04, 2021, 04:27:31 pm »
All this discussions about roundabouts ....

This guy does some really fascinating analysis of songs:

Well worth a watch IMO.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #81570 on: February 04, 2021, 04:56:55 pm »
6237b update:

It's here. Gorillas of Kentucky did not harm it. Lotsa bubblewrap. Looking good. Pictures as soon as I have it on the bench and have opened it up for some care and voltage correction.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81571 on: February 04, 2021, 05:00:26 pm »
Just a heads up for international bidders: never buy an HPAK E36xx supply from the US. Some of them can't be converted to 230v.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #81572 on: February 04, 2021, 05:12:21 pm »

McBryce.

We have roundabouts in the GWN as well, but nothing like that big one.  We have the smaller type, but may have up to 6 small roads linking to one.
IME, experience is the key factor.  They work well when people know how to properly navigate a roundabout and they follow the rules.  The problem here is firstly that roundabouts are relatively rare, so you get a mix of people with no clue what to do and locals trying to whiz through at top speed.  Second problem is people trying to take advantage and break the rules; not sure how such a risk pays off to save 0.1s?

We also have those 3-lane roads where the centre lane is shared for passing either way, but also for vehicles to use waiting to turn across traffic.  These work okay when traffic is not at all heavy.  However, when there is moderate-light traffic or more, then the risk levels go crazy.  Also, there seem to always be impatient drivers when there is a lot of traffic, further increasing risk.  The lane markings on the road are painted to give priority to one direction over the other.  For one direction, it is like a normal passing lane.  For the other, it allows passing only if the lane is clear (and only if it will remain clear).  I find that I never have sufficient situational awareness of the other traffic to risk passing.  Many times I have not passed when I wanted to.  It would work well if I had a good crystal ball; anyone ever found a good one?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81573 on: February 04, 2021, 05:14:31 pm »
Just a heads up for international bidders: never buy an HPAK E36xx supply from the US. Some of them can't be converted to 230v.

Sure they can, you just need a big enough transformer  >:D
BTW take care if using the yellow "110" worksite tool transformers. They are actually 55-0-55 volt with the center tap connected to ground. Some equipment does not like it's neutral being 55V below ground.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81574 on: February 04, 2021, 05:27:08 pm »

Sure they can, you just need a big enough transformer  >:D
BTW take care if using the yellow "110" worksite tool transformers. They are actually 55-0-55 volt with the center tap connected to ground. Some equipment does not like it's neutral being 55V below ground.

Not always. There's some marginal penny pinching bastard stuff that doesn't like 50Hz out there. Heathkit comes to mind :-DD

Good call with the tool transformers - never knew that. Makes sense though as it keeps the earth potential low enough that it's just going to wake you up a bit at 50V AC or so. Last time I did anything on 110V I was using my scariac to do the job which is definitely tapped at neutral and 110V.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf