Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16729910 times)

Vince, morris6 and 74 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #81525 on: February 04, 2021, 03:41:19 am »
A luxury TEA question / advice sought: Today I spoke with my accountant and 2020 was financially a lot better than I thought, so I want to treat myself to something above my normal price limit (I usually buy defective devices and fix them, very rarely above €500). The Keithley 6500 has been on my "I want!" list since it came out and I now have the funds to afford it. But... I'm not sure. My main Desk DMM is a Keithley 2000, which I will never part with and is my most used device, but if you had the funds for a 6500 and wanted to buy a new DMM, would you choose the 6500 or would you buy a different DMM (and why)?

McBryce.
How about a this?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/KEITHLEY-2400-Source-Meter-Sourcemeter-Quellmessgerat-Messeinheit-Measure-Unit/224261158830

or that?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Wayne-Kerr-Automatic-LCR-Meter-7330-LCR-Messgerat-Wayne-Kerr-7330/131854036976

or a HP universal signal source? Or a Pendulum counter?

But if it should reallly be a multimeter, maybe consider this:
https://www.timeelectronics.com/ate-bench-calibrators-multimeters/5075-75-digit-multimeter

When you can afford something again next year, they have a nice multifunction calibrator to stack it with!

Nice classy Multifunction Mega Anchor here  :-DD eBay auction: #293425354897 More like sub $100 or maybe this is proof Germans do have a sense of humor.  ;D

I'm sick, that excited me more than the pic of the little redhead!

Well... on top of volt and amp she has a ohms function!!!

She is big, but there's a lot to love.

Oh come on - less than 77 lbs!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #81526 on: February 04, 2021, 05:23:42 am »
I purchased a nice little desk mounted illuminated magnifier from Amazon, admittedly the actual lens was a tad small at 2.2" (56 mm), but usable, when compared to my existing one of 120 mm (4.75") but the bench clamping system gets in the way of everything and also the thing has had so much use, it's on its knees now.

The one I chose has this novel clamping system that allows a flexible metal gooseneck to be attached either in a vertical or horizontal mode. The thinking here was that it would clamp onto my monitor shelf without obscuring the vision of the monitor if I use the horizontal mode. The next hurdle to overcome was the reach, and this one claimed to have a 23" gooseneck, just perfect.

When it arrived I was gob smacked to discover that the gooseneck was only 15", but if the top mounting was used and the lamp and lens module was taken into account, then the length was indeed 23", but 8" of that are not flexible and certainly 4" (the clamp) are not adding to its overall reach in the slightest.

I messaged the actual seller (in China) about the short gooseneck, and they say it is 15" long, but according to Amazon blurb it is 23". I'm not very happy about this, as I wanted 23" flexible arm to move about and pose it in the right position, as it happens I might just about get away with it mounted in the horizontal position, but 23" would give me greater capability.

What are your thoughts guys, am I right to make a fuss over this, or just accept it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifying-Stepless-Dimmable-Gooseneck-Magnifier/dp/B08QCX7N3M/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=desk+lamp+and+magnifier&qid=1612404198&sr=8-21

23" would be unusually long for that kind of gooseneck. I doubt it could hold up its own weight with any steadiness at 23" long unless it was twice that diameter.

https://www.amazon.com/Helping-Flexible-NEWACALOX-SN6AR-USB-Soldering/dp/B07ZGBDLHB

Myself, I'd send it back and trade up to this model; that is, if you actually like everything else aboot this magnifying light.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 05:25:47 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #81527 on: February 04, 2021, 05:27:22 am »
In other news... I just started watching Firefly with the boi. >:D

mnem
Start 'em right with the classics.   :-+
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, BU508A, bd139

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #81528 on: February 04, 2021, 06:35:40 am »
In other news... I just started watching Firefly with the boi. >:D

mnem
Start 'em right with the classics.   :-+

Congrats!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #81529 on: February 04, 2021, 07:01:46 am »
6237b update:

It's in-country, at about the slowness (I refuse to call it "speed") to be expected by the TE crushing agency in Erlanger, KY. It arrived in my metro area some 7 hours ago, and with a bit of luck will be available for pickup this afternoon. Trip was as usual from Erlanger to Amsterdam, and then lorry to a hand-off point in Trelleborg, southern Sweden, where one of the DHL brands take it, and shift it into our local lumber yard who are the closest storefront for DHL consumer services.  Actually, they're not the closest as the crow flies, but since we're on an island, the "AI" (another word for a small set of patchy guesses guided by a flock of assumptions (aka parents of the Fuck-UpTM)) constantly wants us to travel 30 km instead of 7.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #81530 on: February 04, 2021, 07:43:01 am »
Oh come on - less than 77 lbs!

-Pat

Agreed lightweight hardware. Todays addition to the tools 200+kg of Saw for about $2/kg. My Back is going Ouch pre pickup  :o  eBay auction: #303863440080

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #81531 on: February 04, 2021, 07:55:40 am »
Todays addition to the tools 200+kg of Saw for about $2/kg. My Back is going Ouch pre pickup  :o 
:-//
Laser busted ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #81532 on: February 04, 2021, 07:59:37 am »
All the better to pre choppy choppy stock for the Laser. Between this big boy and the Tracksaw I can't see me ever needing a Table Saw was part of the reason to go this size. Added feature is added likelihood of retaining the number of digits I was born with   :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81533 on: February 04, 2021, 08:15:35 am »
Not necessarily the same number of eyes though  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81534 on: February 04, 2021, 08:21:46 am »
Well surprise, surprise.  ::) Actually, no surprise. USPS tracking system has gone tits up.  :palm: So I have no idea where my coffee order from Amazon is. This will become a very serious issue if I run out.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81535 on: February 04, 2021, 08:25:08 am »
A luxury TEA question / advice sought: Today I spoke with my accountant and 2020 was financially a lot better than I thought, so I want to treat myself to something above my normal price limit (I usually buy defective devices and fix them, very rarely above €500). The Keithley 6500 has been on my "I want!" list since it came out and I now have the funds to afford it. But... I'm not sure. My main Desk DMM is a Keithley 2000, which I will never part with and is my most used device, but if you had the funds for a 6500 and wanted to buy a new DMM, would you choose the 6500 or would you buy a different DMM (and why)?

McBryce.

I'm not sure, if I would buy a DMM6500 if I'm having a Keithley 2000 and/or a 34401A. I'd go for the next step with 7 1/2 or, finally a 8 1/2 digit DMM (I'm still looking for an affordable 3458A).
But this depends also on what you want to do with it. For example, if you want to use it because of its fast sampling rate and the GUI which makes trends visible, go for it.

Welectron has an offer of around 1020 Euro for the DMM6500
https://www.welectron.com/Keithley-DMM6500-Tisch-Multimeter?utm_campaign=id

I'm having a DMM7510 and I love it.
Example:
Pictures of measurements of my resistor decade box:

Measuring trends on my LTFLU-1 10V prototype:

Measuring leakage current of some wet tantalum capacitors:

You'd love it to work with the DMM6500.   :)

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. 7.5 or 8.5 Meters are tempting, but don't really give me anything new that I would use. The features of the 6500 that interest me are the trending and data logging that it can do, especially that it can be viewed directly from the meter. The 7510 is on the wrong side of 4K and I couldn't justify an additional >3K for an extra digit (Steady down voltnuts! Just go along with me here).

As for the other suggestions: Source meter: Never really had a use for one. LCR Meter: I have a DER EE DE5000 that I'm very happy with. Motorbike: Haven't owned one since the 90's and I no longer have a license for one (and that's a good thing). My only other consideration would be a scope with a bigger screen (I currently use a Rigol MSO-1104Z), but I'd want something like an Agilent 4000 Series and these are also well outside the budget at the moment.

Thanks BU508A for the link, that's the cheapest I've seen it for so far. I should also mention, the Keithley 2000 wouldn't just be sitting on the desk being the second meter, I have 2 area that I work from and it would get moved to area 2 where I currently use a HP3478A which I would then sell.

McBryce.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:33:13 am by McBryce »
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #81536 on: February 04, 2021, 09:03:57 am »
I have been doing some volt nuttery and have a 34461, and a 3458 that I got calibrated a couple of years ago. The 34461 really punches above its weight. The true accuracy year on+ of a 3458 is in the handful of ppm  ie 6-maybe 7 digits, the 8 1/2 is its transfer accuracy - ie over 1hr etc.
The graphics and simple data processing of the 34461 or maybe even a 34470 I suspect will be of more use than the bees whisker gains you get with a 3458,' unless you need 10^4 samples/sec etc and can be bothered writing subroutines to do so.
My 3458 readings of a series of ltz1000 references are at best reliable to the handful of uV out of 10V and that involves sacrificing a few naked virgins and genuflecting etc before making the readings. The 34461 readings are amazingly close, now I may have lucked on a good 34461, but Keysight do good gear.
YMMV
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81537 on: February 04, 2021, 09:46:46 am »

Then, there were such delights as "three lane" roads, where the middle lane of the three was optional for passing from either direction.

We used to have 3 lane roads here too. Same form factor. Center lane for passing in either direction. They fell out of fashion as too dangerous and by the 1970's were all gone. 4 lane highways, or what the Brits in their quaint talk call "carriage ways", replaced them.   

In Jersey (Channel Islands) they crossed a mini-roundabout with a 4-Way Stop and called it a Filter in Turn. First there went first, then each entry took it in sequence. Works better than it sounds.  The fact that 90% of the people using them were Tourists and didn't know what to do didn't help.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81538 on: February 04, 2021, 10:07:35 am »
The UK should not be allowed design anything to do with traffic control, they don't know what they are doing. See evidence below.

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81539 on: February 04, 2021, 10:25:30 am »
I purchased a nice little desk mounted illuminated magnifier from Amazon, admittedly the actual lens was a tad small at 2.2" (56 mm), but usable, when compared to my existing one of 120 mm (4.75") but the bench clamping system gets in the way of everything and also the thing has had so much use, it's on its knees now.

The one I chose has this novel clamping system that allows a flexible metal gooseneck to be attached either in a vertical or horizontal mode. The thinking here was that it would clamp onto my monitor shelf without obscuring the vision of the monitor if I use the horizontal mode. The next hurdle to overcome was the reach, and this one claimed to have a 23" gooseneck, just perfect.

When it arrived I was gob smacked to discover that the gooseneck was only 15", but if the top mounting was used and the lamp and lens module was taken into account, then the length was indeed 23", but 8" of that are not flexible and certainly 4" (the clamp) are not adding to its overall reach in the slightest.

I messaged the actual seller (in China) about the short gooseneck, and they say it is 15" long, but according to Amazon blurb it is 23". I'm not very happy about this, as I wanted 23" flexible arm to move about and pose it in the right position, as it happens I might just about get away with it mounted in the horizontal position, but 23" would give me greater capability.

What are your thoughts guys, am I right to make a fuss over this, or just accept it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifying-Stepless-Dimmable-Gooseneck-Magnifier/dp/B08QCX7N3M/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=desk+lamp+and+magnifier&qid=1612404198&sr=8-21

23" would be unusually long for that kind of gooseneck. I doubt it could hold up its own weight with any steadiness at 23" long unless it was twice that diameter.

https://www.amazon.com/Helping-Flexible-NEWACALOX-SN6AR-USB-Soldering/dp/B07ZGBDLHB

Myself, I'd send it back and trade up to this model; that is, if you actually like everything else aboot this magnifying light.

mnem
 :-/O
Well that is a novel idea, but sadly it does not do what I need it for. I went for the one I did because it leaves the bench top clear for what ever device I'm working on to sit directly beneath the lamp, so I can make use of the lamp and magnifier to help inspect the device for problems / faults and also aid soldering small parts. I also believe that because the lamp part is so small, that it could indeed work very well on a 23" gooseneck without any problems.

Following on from the sellers reply last night, I messaged them again and gave them a print screen of the item as listed on Amazon and this morning I received another reply from the seller apologising saying that the error on the listing was their mistake and have now corrected it (true) and have issued me a full refund and an extra £4 in the bargain. This refund is now sitting in my account already and there is no mention of returning the lamp, so it looks as if I have myself a reasonably useful tool for nothing, sounds like Winner Winner Chicken Dinner to me.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81540 on: February 04, 2021, 10:50:50 am »
The UK should not be allowed design anything to do with traffic control, they don't know what they are doing. See evidence below.

McBryce.

Bd showed us that roundabout once before and everyone who was not from the UK went  :wtf: :palm: :-DD
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 10:52:56 am by med6753 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81541 on: February 04, 2021, 10:56:36 am »

McBryce.

You say that, and yet in reality those mad (we call them magic roundabouts) actually do work rather well, and it always seems to be a quicker navigating your way around them. I think that the first one was an experimental one in Hemel Hempstead and now they are cropping  up at lots of roundabouts with 5 or more roads linking to them.

This video actually uses the same roundabout and shows how to use them and why it makes sense.

This video explains why the Americans dislike them and also explains why  they are going to have to get used to them because of increased safety and reduced emissions.

So as it turns out we Brits do indeed know a lot about traffic management and most of the world has been busy copying us.  :-DD :-DD :-DD
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 11:01:05 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81542 on: February 04, 2021, 11:14:16 am »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81543 on: February 04, 2021, 11:21:37 am »
What was it that bd139 said about the Americans...  Oh yes, that was "Too dangerous in America = too complicated for stupid people in America" well it looks like there was a lot of truth in that statement after all then  :-DD :-DD :-DD 
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #81544 on: February 04, 2021, 11:28:09 am »

McBryce.

Keithley 6500: lots of features, excellent UI, FW not too stable
Keisight 34465A: Rock stable, less "apple" user oriented (no touch screen), excellent performances.

More or less the same price. If the user interface is more important to you go with the Keithley, otherwise if you want stability and performance Keisight.

Those are the only two 6.5 bench DMM I would buy new right now.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #81545 on: February 04, 2021, 11:32:45 am »
Well surprise, surprise.  ::) Actually, no surprise. USPS tracking system has gone tits up.  :palm: So I have no idea where my coffee order from Amazon is. This will become a very serious issue if I run out.  :-DD

Med you are very unlucky with shipments. Time to try voodoo.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #81546 on: February 04, 2021, 11:55:45 am »

McBryce.

Having used it, that magic roundabout in Swindon works very well.

Yes, you have to be awake, but no more so than going around other large roundabouts, e.g. Hyde Park Corner.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #81547 on: February 04, 2021, 11:58:30 am »
Too dangerous in America = too complicated for stupid people in America  :-DD
Too scary for people from Australia, too, especially the one I encountered on a curved bridge with limited vision around the curve.

We have three lane roads, too, but they don't rely upon the good sense of motorists.
They are, in turn, two lanes one way, & one the other, & the lane markings reflect this.
That way, both directions have an opportunity to pass safely.

Old style 2 lane roads have "bulges"  where such sections are used, with each way getting its own "bulge".
Any other passing is strictly policed.

There is a 2 lane road outside our subdivision that is only about 2 miles long and ends at a cross street.  The idiots in power spent about $3 million to make it a 3 lane road with the center lane for turning.  I say idiots because all along that stretch of road, there is only 3 places to turn, 2 streets and a recycling center. :-DD  Driving through the Ocala National Forrest, we have the same 'bulges.  They are clearly marked passing lanes and there are signs about a mile and a half before them to let drivers know they are coming.  Everywhere else is no passing but I have never seen the police on that road so illegal passing does occur.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #81548 on: February 04, 2021, 12:00:00 pm »
@McBryce:

There is a used (refurbished) one but it comes with a calibration certificate:

https://www.instrumex.de/en/8165 - 810 Euro + VAT

And here is a used (refurbished) 34465A for 1275 Euro + VAT

https://www.instrumex.de/en/6818
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #81549 on: February 04, 2021, 12:01:42 pm »
You say that, and yet in reality those mad (we call them magic roundabouts) actually do work rather well, and it always seems to be a quicker navigating your way around them. I think that the first one was an experimental one in Hemel Hempstead and now they are cropping  up at lots of roundabouts with 5 or more roads linking to them.

Here's the sign for the Hemel roundabout. If it takes you more than 2s to understand it, you shouldn't be allowed behind a wheel.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf