Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16731262 times)

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #81500 on: February 03, 2021, 07:45:44 pm »
After asking my friend whether he'd drive me to the seller of https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/fluke-5200a-ac-kalibrator-5105b-dmm-5215a/1648283804-168-8132, I tried to write the guy that I'm interested, given that the devices are defective, but not cannibalized. But even after inhibiting NoScript for a bazillion 3rd party sites, I was unable to send off the message. :rant:

Why do websites have to execute scripts from all over the universe? And don't work even after allowing them all to run their nasty scripts on my computer? This really makes me sick.
Seems I lost out on my second chance of getting them.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #81501 on: February 03, 2021, 07:58:04 pm »

Effing DigiKey man...

$8 shipping, across the border no less... and overnight to boot. Now I have 2MB/4MB SPI ROMs for all my little SAMD21xx CircuitPython boards.  >:D

mnem
 :-/O

Well they are in Minnesota after all. Just have to get on the road and head north a few and meet Dudley at the border.   :-* :-DD

Well no... that wasn't my point. They charged me $8 Canadian Pesos for shipping, and sent it via Priority Overnight Service. :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #81502 on: February 03, 2021, 08:30:41 pm »
A luxury TEA question / advice sought: Today I spoke with my accountant and 2020 was financially a lot better than I thought, so I want to treat myself to something above my normal price limit (I usually buy defective devices and fix them, very rarely above €500). The Keithley 6500 has been on my "I want!" list since it came out and I now have the funds to afford it. But... I'm not sure. My main Desk DMM is a Keithley 2000, which I will never part with and is my most used device, but if you had the funds for a 6500 and wanted to buy a new DMM, would you choose the 6500 or would you buy a different DMM (and why)?

McBryce.

I would try to find a nice used 2001, or if I was feeling really lucky a 2002, and wriggle just a bit further down the rabbit hole... new is for people who like warranties instead of tinkering.

Having said that, if you've been lusting after a 6500, go ahead and scratch that itch. You can always get an 8.5 digit meter later...
  :-DD

I would buy a motorcycle.  :-DD

mnem
He said: "I wanna buy a motorcycle."
She heard: "I'm in the mood for a really big fight..."

He wants to smash his wallet to bits, not his skeleton!  :PPP
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81503 on: February 03, 2021, 08:50:23 pm »
The other day bd139 said that Audi drivers were idiots, well it looks like he was right  :-+

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81504 on: February 03, 2021, 09:06:18 pm »
All I see is round abouts and everyone driving on the wrong side of the road.

What is wrong with you people? Brexit must be a hell of a drug.  :P :P :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #81505 on: February 03, 2021, 10:19:38 pm »
A luxury TEA question / advice sought: Today I spoke with my accountant and 2020 was financially a lot better than I thought, so I want to treat myself to something above my normal price limit (I usually buy defective devices and fix them, very rarely above €500). The Keithley 6500 has been on my "I want!" list since it came out and I now have the funds to afford it. But... I'm not sure. My main Desk DMM is a Keithley 2000, which I will never part with and is my most used device, but if you had the funds for a 6500 and wanted to buy a new DMM, would you choose the 6500 or would you buy a different DMM (and why)?

McBryce.

I'm not sure, if I would buy a DMM6500 if I'm having a Keithley 2000 and/or a 34401A. I'd go for the next step with 7 1/2 or, finally a 8 1/2 digit DMM (I'm still looking for an affordable 3458A).
But this depends also on what you want to do with it. For example, if you want to use it because of its fast sampling rate and the GUI which makes trends visible, go for it.

Welectron has an offer of around 1020 Euro for the DMM6500
https://www.welectron.com/Keithley-DMM6500-Tisch-Multimeter?utm_campaign=id

I'm having a DMM7510 and I love it.
Example:
Pictures of measurements of my resistor decade box:

Measuring trends on my LTFLU-1 10V prototype:

Measuring leakage current of some wet tantalum capacitors:

You'd love it to work with the DMM6500.   :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: McBryce

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #81506 on: February 03, 2021, 10:30:58 pm »
The DMM6500 is stupidly capable and lots of fun!

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81507 on: February 03, 2021, 10:47:28 pm »
They're a convenient target for the 4chan Bro Brigade, Meal Team 6ers, etc because they're actually nice aboot it rather than militant. When those wastes of skin aren't spewing vitriol at furries, that is.  :palm:

mnem
 :popcorn:

They would be reluctant to target fire breathing scalies, though!

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81508 on: February 03, 2021, 11:00:52 pm »

What is wrong with you people? Brexit must be a hell of a drug.  :P :P :P :-DD

The Brits invented roundabouts, & love them with a passion.

Back in the day, there was one outside Southampton with a small hill in the middle of it, specially designed for thrill seekers.

Farmers never quite got the idea, & I remember a huge "tailback" developing at  another big roundabout
whilst "Farmer Giles", looking neither to left or right, majestically negotiated the roundabout at about 2mph, towing a ginormous trailer of hay behind a Ferguson tractor.

Then, there were such delights as "three lane" roads, where the middle lane of the three was optional for passing from either direction.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81509 on: February 03, 2021, 11:22:41 pm »

Then, there were such delights as "three lane" roads, where the middle lane of the three was optional for passing from either direction.

We used to have 3 lane roads here too. Same form factor. Center lane for passing in either direction. They fell out of fashion as too dangerous and by the 1970's were all gone. 4 lane highways, or what the Brits in their quaint talk call "carriage ways", replaced them.     

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81510 on: February 03, 2021, 11:26:41 pm »
Too dangerous in America = too complicated for stupid people in America  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81511 on: February 03, 2021, 11:32:28 pm »

:P :P :P

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #81512 on: February 03, 2021, 11:58:56 pm »

I've been to the UK once for a work conference many years ago.  I hired a car to drive from Edinburgh to London via some site visits and my family's original stomping ground.  Never had a problem with the traffic - just learned to navigate on the fly.  It was almost like driving at home.

The one thing that did make me wonder, though, was some of the B roads.  The speed limit for a few of the ones I traversed was generous to say the least - especially when they were 1.5 lanes wide, winding, undulating and with six foot vegetation brushing up to the bitumen.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #81513 on: February 04, 2021, 12:00:56 am »
@med:

nice 7777th posting.   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 12:11:52 am by Kosmic »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81515 on: February 04, 2021, 12:17:47 am »
@med:

nice 7777th posting.   :-DD

Cool, I didn't notice that.  ;D :-+

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81516 on: February 04, 2021, 01:02:27 am »

McBryce.
How about a this?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/KEITHLEY-2400-Source-Meter-Sourcemeter-Quellmessgerat-Messeinheit-Measure-Unit/224261158830

or that?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Wayne-Kerr-Automatic-LCR-Meter-7330-LCR-Messgerat-Wayne-Kerr-7330/131854036976

or a HP universal signal source? Or a Pendulum counter?

But if it should reallly be a multimeter, maybe consider this:
https://www.timeelectronics.com/ate-bench-calibrators-multimeters/5075-75-digit-multimeter

When you can afford something again next year, they have a nice multifunction calibrator to stack it with!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #81517 on: February 04, 2021, 01:11:12 am »

McBryce.
How about a this?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/KEITHLEY-2400-Source-Meter-Sourcemeter-Quellmessgerat-Messeinheit-Measure-Unit/224261158830

or that?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Wayne-Kerr-Automatic-LCR-Meter-7330-LCR-Messgerat-Wayne-Kerr-7330/131854036976

https://www.timeelectronics.com/ate-bench-calibrators-multimeters/5075-75-digit-multimeter

When you can afford something again next year, they have a nice multifunction calibrator to stack it with!

Nice classy Multifunction Mega Anchor here  :-DD eBay auction: #293425354897 More like sub $100 or maybe this is proof Germans do have a sense of humor.  ;D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81518 on: February 04, 2021, 01:23:13 am »
Too scary for people from Australia, too, especially the one I encountered on a curved bridge with limited vision around the curve.

We have three lane roads, too, but they don't rely upon the good sense of motorists.
They are, in turn, two lanes one way, & one the other, & the lane markings reflect this.
That way, both directions have an opportunity to pass safely.

Old style 2 lane roads have "bulges"  where such sections are used, with each way getting its own "bulge".
Any other passing is strictly policed.

You can't predict morons though, quite a few times, I've encountered halfwits passing road trains in places where the safe passing distance is rapidly diminishing.
The funny thing is, they're usually not driving Beemers, Mercedes, big V8s, etc.

No, these budding racing drivers are often driving delivery vans & the like, in the Toyota Hi Ace class.

Not that I'm dissing Hi Aces, they are quite good for long distance trips, but:-
"A man (& a van) should know his limitations,"

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81519 on: February 04, 2021, 01:26:42 am »

McBryce.
How about a this?

or that?

Nice classy Multifunction Mega Anchor here  :-DD eBay auction: #293425354897 More like sub $100 or maybe this is proof Germans do have a sense of humor.  ;D

I'm sick, that excited me more than the pic of the little redhead!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81520 on: February 04, 2021, 01:30:35 am »

McBryce.
How about a this?

or that?

I'm sick, that excited me more than the pic of the little redhead!

Well... on top of volt and amp she has a ohms function!!!

She is big, but there's a lot to love.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 01:32:24 am by Kosmic »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81521 on: February 04, 2021, 01:46:10 am »
Of course, they were, they proved that when they threw all the tea into Boston harbour, they couldn't understand that the tea made a delicious and nutritious drink that could be tweaked by the addition of milk and sugar to taste.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #81522 on: February 04, 2021, 02:11:44 am »
Of course, they were, they proved that when they threw all the tea into Boston harbour, they couldn't understand that the tea made a delicious and nutritious drink that could be tweaked by the addition of milk and sugar to taste.  :-DD
Nah, that was the Yanks protesting about the tea bought to them being paid for with opium.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #81523 on: February 04, 2021, 02:12:37 am »
Still waiting for my NanoVNA and TinySA to move.  Last event is described as "Accepted by airline" and that was 10 days ago.  Bought on the 12th.

Think I'll take up Glacial Studies to pass the time....   ::)

Update: "Departed country of origin"   :clap:  That only took 11 days from the previous event - but it took 5 days for this tracking update to come through.

I'm thinking I should just forget about them and just be surprised when they arrive.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81524 on: February 04, 2021, 02:30:45 am »
I purchased a nice little desk mounted illuminated magnifier from Amazon, admittedly the actual lens was a tad small at 2.2" (56 mm), but usable, when compared to my existing one of 120 mm (4.75") but the bench clamping system gets in the way of everything and also the thing has had so much use, it's on its knees now.

The one I chose has this novel clamping system that allows a flexible metal gooseneck to be attached either in a vertical or horizontal mode. The thinking here was that it would clamp onto my monitor shelf without obscuring the vision of the monitor if I use the horizontal mode. The next hurdle to overcome was the reach, and this one claimed to have a 23" gooseneck, just perfect.

When it arrived I was gob smacked to discover that the gooseneck was only 15", but if the top mounting was used and the lamp and lens module was taken into account, then the length was indeed 23", but 8" of that are not flexible and certainly 4" (the clamp) are not adding to its overall reach in the slightest.

I messaged the actual seller (in China) about the short gooseneck, and they say it is 15" long, but according to Amazon blurb it is 23". I'm not very happy about this, as I wanted 23" flexible arm to move about and pose it in the right position, as it happens I might just about get away with it mounted in the horizontal position, but 23" would give me greater capability.

What are your thoughts guys, am I right to make a fuss over this, or just accept it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifying-Stepless-Dimmable-Gooseneck-Magnifier/dp/B08QCX7N3M/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=desk+lamp+and+magnifier&qid=1612404198&sr=8-21
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf