Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16739247 times)

Henrik_V and 127 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #81350 on: February 02, 2021, 04:38:19 pm »
Fuck that noise; I'm gonna hire that li'l bastard to clear out the back yard. You got his cell...?  :-DD

mnem
He can have my nuts. Also cash and hooker-sqrrls.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81351 on: February 02, 2021, 04:42:39 pm »
Clearly a London squirrel that one. Stab stab.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #81352 on: February 02, 2021, 04:57:27 pm »
Probe update:

GLS needed 4 days to notify me that they need authorization to do customs processing. The'll also charge 20 Brussels pesos for filing the paper work and pass on a something like 25% surcharge  :palm:

Should have sent it via Gibraltar -> Spain ...
D'oh.

@Robert politics are entirely not your fault. I am grateful that you handled it.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81353 on: February 02, 2021, 05:03:21 pm »
I had a friend teach me to drive a manual in the late 70's.  I didn't have my first manual car until the late 80's, a 1980 Toyota Tercel hatchback.  Both Mrs GreyWoolfe (55) and I(64) can drive manuals.  I find them fun to drive outside of occasionally getting caught in traffic jams.  My 92 Ford Explorer had a rather heavy clutch and Mrs GreyWoolfe didn't much like driving it for that reason but I enjoyed the beast.  I had a 2001 Chevy Cavalier almost from new and put 100,000 miles on it in 2.5 years.  It was easy to drive without using the clutch for anything but first.  I only did it to show off and prove it can be done to non believers.  Of the 3 manual cars I have owned over the years, I miss the Explorer the most.

I was taught manual, as most people here are -- you can get "automatic" as a condition on the license, like "glasses" -- which means that you may only drive automatics.  I almost exclusively drive manual, and when I end up in an automatic I've been known to mistake the brake pedal for a non-existent clutch. FYI the clutch operation muscle memory for most people is to kick it down, more or less. This has consequences if you try the same with a brake pedal...

I too have experienced that.  My passengers have asked why I kick the floor so much.  In fact, I am pushing that non-existent clutch pedal...  :palm: Similar to Woolfe, I learned to drive manual on a Ford 1-tonne in the 80s and my first vehicle was a 1996 Chevy truck with a 5-speed.  Both were very heavy clutches, but had gearing such that it was difficult to stall on start.  It took me a while longer before I could drive a manual car; cars felt just too delicate at that time in my life.  On the other hand, even though they both had synchro-mesh, one could down-shift much faster and smoother by learning to double-declutch.

A friend had two identical cars, same color, same interieur, one with manual and one with automatic transmission. At the same time! It was always fun as he stowed his left foot underneath the drivers seat while driving the automatic transmission  :-DD

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81354 on: February 02, 2021, 05:17:06 pm »
Probe update:

GLS needed 4 days to notify me that they need authorization to do customs processing. The'll also charge 20 Brussels pesos for filing the paper work and pass on a something like 25% surcharge  :palm:

D'oh.

@Robert politics are entirely not your fault. I am grateful that you handled it.

Thing is there is no need for any of this. If I send to the USA or Ghana there are no  special forms, authorisations or charges befor it leaves the UK. Seems like the companies are profiteering.
The Brexiteers buggered it up for all of us. Latest here is that UK shellfish that were OK in europe 5 weeks ago are now not fit to enter. The fishermen were a pro group, I wonder what they think now.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81355 on: February 02, 2021, 05:43:00 pm »
You’d be surprised the amount some of HP’s logic analysis tooling goes for. The big analysers are worth SFA for some reason though  :-//

Hope you're right ;)

Also: please select the appropriate option because I'm lost...

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/SFA

That's because you're looking in an Official acronyms resource. You want UrbanDictionary, etc for this one.  :-DD

SFA: Sweet Fuck All.

mnem
*poot!*
Also known as "Sweet Fanny Adams" apparently.  ::)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81356 on: February 02, 2021, 05:47:35 pm »
I have just been booked in for my Covid jab, this Friday...I wonder when my second one will be...might open a book on it  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #81357 on: February 02, 2021, 05:50:11 pm »
Thing is there is no need for any of this. If I send to the USA or Ghana there are no  special forms, authorisations or charges befor it leaves the UK. Seems like the companies are profiteering.
The Brexiteers buggered it up for all of us. Latest here is that UK shellfish that were OK in europe 5 weeks ago are now not fit to enter. The fishermen were a pro group, I wonder what they think now.

In point of fact this is actually the EU with a bad case of sour grapes trying to bully us.

The recent vaccine fiasco should have removed any doubts as to their organisational capability, and preferred methods.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Saskia

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81358 on: February 02, 2021, 06:00:04 pm »
I absolutely concur. The EU is a shitshow par excellence, the move of the Politburo from Moscow to Brussels. They will bully anybody who tries to leave their block to set an example ...

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81359 on: February 02, 2021, 06:01:01 pm »

In point of fact this is actually the EU with a bad case of sour grapes trying to bully us.

The recent vaccine fiasco should have removed any doubts as to their organisational capability, and preferred methods.

Indeed. I’m not impressed. Asshats.

I have just been booked in for my Covid jab, this Friday...I wonder when my second one will be...might open a book on it  >:D

Good to hear. Will look out for any “rage infected zombies” near Chelmsford  :-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81360 on: February 02, 2021, 06:05:48 pm »
newest idea of our local dictators: prohibit single family homes (currently in Hamburg, about to come in Berlin) under the pretense of ecological progress.

Freedom to choose your own home: gone. Human rights are suddenly labelled privileges in Germany.

For many it will be back to GDR economy including payments in goods and crypto. The deindustrialization of Germany is in full swing. So, the ailing British economy may indeed take over and collect the pieces, if the chinese leave some crumbs for you to pick up.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81361 on: February 02, 2021, 06:15:47 pm »
enuff politics, we do not want to wake the EEVBlog dragon ...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81362 on: February 02, 2021, 06:19:03 pm »

So while I was looking at silicone workmats and a few other items to put on the V-day wishlist, I tripped over these for ~$8. IME, ceramic tweezers were always a high-tech specialty tool with a price to match; $30-60 each for the ones I've actually had my hands on made them mostly just a "maybe someday" thing for myself. So I made the mistake of doing a quick search... :o

Evidently vaping and the resultant "vape shop" idiocy has resulted in some positive trickle-down, aside from readily available high-discharge Li-Ion cylindrical cells: These are now available quite cheaply all over Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Ceramic+Tweezers

Be wary... the selection is amazing, and you will find something at a price you can't resist.

mnem
*currently building the perfect beast... err, armoire...?*

« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 06:37:12 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81363 on: February 02, 2021, 06:24:43 pm »
My little 485 project is turning into a major shit show. "Modular Construction" with a bunch of caveats. Big caveats. No pictures right now. I've decided I have aggravated myself enough for one day. Perhaps tomorrow.

Tek engineers were smart guys but sometimes I wonder.  :palm: 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81364 on: February 02, 2021, 06:45:41 pm »
enuff politics, we do not want to wake the EEVBlog dragon ...

pfffffft.

mnem
"Honey, where's my tape measure...?"

*mumble-mutter-mumble-grumble from upstairs*

"Okay... what aboot ANY of the dozens of tape measures we've bought since we moved here...?"

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #81365 on: February 02, 2021, 07:00:59 pm »

"Okay... what aboot ANY of the dozens of tape measures we've bought since we moved here...?"
[/color]
WTF
Did you not give her one of her very own to put in a place she can always find it ?  :-//

Sharpen up mnem !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81366 on: February 02, 2021, 07:02:17 pm »
My little 485 project is turning into a major shit show. "Modular Construction" with a bunch of caveats. Big caveats. No pictures right now. I've decided I have aggravated myself enough for one day. Perhaps tomorrow.

You know that time I said I’d never fix another 4xx. That’s how it started.  :-DD

To extrapolate further. Much like Perl being a write only programming language, some of the Tek 4xx machines are construct only  >:(. Decided punching myself in the balls wasn’t a fun hobby.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 07:04:17 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81367 on: February 02, 2021, 07:07:38 pm »

You know that time I said I’d never fix another 4xx. That’s how it started.  :-DD

To extrapolate further. Much like Perl being a write only programming language, some of the Tek 4xx machines are construct only  >:(. Decided punching myself in the balls wasn’t a fun hobby.

Yep, been up in a tree on 465's numerous times so I knew I was in for. But supposedly the 485 has a more intelligent design....and in many respects it does...but I'm finding "gotchas" too.   :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81368 on: February 02, 2021, 07:10:33 pm »

WTF
Did you not give her one of her very own to put in a place she can always find it ?  :-//

No less than 4, in various lengths. Since we moved here. :palm:

mnem
The Grelber eats them. Along with all my left socks.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81369 on: February 02, 2021, 07:13:40 pm »

You should take up 3DP then. Oh, and FreeCAD.  :-DD

mnem
Technically, it's not punching yourself if you build a ball-punching machine...  >:D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 07:17:03 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81370 on: February 02, 2021, 07:19:55 pm »

WTF

No less than 4, in various lengths. Since we moved here. :palm:

mnem
The Grelber eats them. Along with all my left socks.

Grab a bunch of those paper measures that you get for free at Ikea and leave them somewhere she can find them.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81371 on: February 02, 2021, 07:39:44 pm »
Probe update:

D'oh.

Would it be better to use a company like TransglobalExpress and fill out the paperwork with import/export tariff codes, etc. yourself? rather than let the delivery companies rip off the recipient.

Oddly the last two parcels from Sphere in Canada once again had no import charges, don't know why ParcelFarce aren't bothering, but I can't complain.

David
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 07:51:52 pm by factory »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81372 on: February 02, 2021, 07:42:37 pm »

Yep, been up in a tree on 465's numerous times so I knew I was in for. But supposedly the 485 has a more intelligent design....and in many respects it does...but I'm finding "gotchas" too.   :scared:
Could this be a "Gotcha" to many  >:D :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81373 on: February 02, 2021, 07:49:54 pm »

I didn't know if it's the same where you are, but here they book the the second one when you are waiting for 15mins after the jab, mine is 11 weeks from the first on the same day & same time. Just don't keel over like the guy after me did (think he ended up in A&E).

David

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81374 on: February 02, 2021, 07:50:47 pm »

You should take up 3DP then. Oh, and FreeCAD.  :-DD

mnem
Technically, it's not punching yourself if you build a ball-punching machine...  >:D

You mean fritz with FreeCAD and the self constructed machine for six weeks to make a mutant ball punching machine in black PLA that merely fluffs them a bit when I could have just bought a ball punching machine for 10% of the financial and time investment :-DD  :popcorn:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf