Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16739210 times)

Henrik_V and 133 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #81300 on: February 01, 2021, 06:27:03 pm »
For my fellow Canadians, there's a nice HP 1137A high voltage probe for sale near Toronto.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1548925348

Note that it's not clear in the HP brief description, but the 1137A can be switched for use with a 10M input multimeter as well as the normal 1M scope input.  Handly little probe I have 2  ;D

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #81301 on: February 01, 2021, 08:11:43 pm »
This pump we rebuilt a few weeks back finally used in anger and a little squirt to ~400rpm which is higher than we've been running it displayed it could also be used for water cannon duties !  :box:
Mother can it shift some water !  :o
2" delivery doesn't do this thing justice so we're on the lookout for some 2 1/2" or 3"

Some initial runup checks found a slight Timken bearing cycling growl was totally silenced with a tiny bit more bearing preload.  :phew:

made in italy  :-*
And the tractor powering it too !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #81302 on: February 01, 2021, 08:16:01 pm »
Mid-day and supposed to continue well into tonight and early AM Tuesday. Luckily it's a dry powder since the temp is -8 C. Which means poor packing for snowmen.  :-DD

Same here.  Hard to tell for sure since it's blowing about, but I'd estimate about 8 inches so far and still coming down at a good clip.

If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81303 on: February 01, 2021, 08:47:48 pm »
Should be easy to find out: exchage the tubes.

I'd have to take out the display driver board, and desolder them; they aren't socketed (those black plastic frames are just stabilisers I believe).
It's not important enough for that kind of effort.

Check what voltage they are getting, slow lighting can be due to the voltage being too low.

McBryce.

It will be exactly the same as the 9839 I repaired earlier this at the end of last year, the supply to the display tubes is unregulated, I traced out the supply as I didn't know why a track had been cut, yours looks to have the same modification, so I guess they stuffed up the design. Both use the same motherboard (18-0697).

I found quite a few knackered tubes in mine (only two were OK) but I knew that before I bought it, the knackered tubes had signs of rust on the leads where they enter the glass, Megger testing revealed quite a lot more voltage was required to get any glow from them, some didn't glow at all.
The tubes are soldered in, I wondered if the slow lighting of certain numbers was due to displaying zeros most of the time, I kind of want to try disabling the display latch on mine to cycle all the numbers.

Just had a quick look at the pictures & mine has also been slightly melted in the same place, but not as bad, can't think why they bothered to sleeve the connections for the IEC & fuse-holder then install that filter board.  :palm:

Edit: seems it was actually Dec last year I repaired the Racal 9839, original post with teardown pictures here; https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3389804/#msg3389804

And repair; https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3393862/#msg3393862
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3395270/#msg3395270

David
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:34:40 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, AVGresponding

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81304 on: February 01, 2021, 09:23:41 pm »
Gah, bloody packing chips, the damn things get everywhere.

It is the counter, for some reason I thought it was full rack width, where it's actually half width.

Time to take it apart...   :-/O

If you want a full rack width Racal counter then there is this one, only problem is the shipping cost, which says they really really can't be arsed with shipping.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402665384957

David

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81305 on: February 01, 2021, 09:36:24 pm »
The snow is now so intense that I can hardly see out my windows. Called a "whiteout". Wind has picked up too. Several counties including mine are now under a "state of emergency" which basically states that unnecessary travel is banned and most businesses must close. People seem to be getting the message. Police/Fire scanner is very quiet. Very few accidents.

As long as the wind doesn't bring down trees or some idiot smack a pole with a car I'll have power and heat and just hunker down until tomorrow morning.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81306 on: February 01, 2021, 10:01:55 pm »
Good job you never stayed overnight in NYC then  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81307 on: February 01, 2021, 11:02:00 pm »
Good job you never stayed overnight in NYC then  :-+

Absolutely not. I stated last night there was no way I was going to do that for fear the storm would develop has bad as it has so far. A the Lady Cop called out of work today too. 

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81308 on: February 01, 2021, 11:38:19 pm »
Gah, put this calculator kit together, (same one as mnementh did) and popped the batteries in, the LCD backlight came on, but the calculator refused to switch on |O Back to basics, double-checked my work, and it was all correct so measured voltages and discovered that the regulator, 7550A-1 in TO-92 package was only giving out 3V instead of 5V, so I had a chat with Amazon customer support. Explained that I had this kit, assembled it and told them that the 5V regulator was only providing 3V, thinking that they might just send out another kit, so I can swap out the part, but nope. Sent me prepaid returns label and even though it was a kit, going to give me a full refund for it once they receive it back. So, for that I give Amazon full marks. I don't think that I'll bother re-ordering it though, I did a bit of research, and it seems that others have had similar issues with the kit and for that reason, I'll give it a miss.  :palm:

The PCB seems to nicely silk-screened and of good quality just a shame that the components aren't of equal quality. Instructions are not supplied with the kit  :wtf: but they are downloadable are adequate for the job as long as you can follow the pictures OK as there is no written description.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #81309 on: February 02, 2021, 12:09:32 am »
Gah, bloody packing chips, the damn things get everywhere.

It is the counter, for some reason I thought it was full rack width, where it's actually half width.

Time to take it apart...   :-/O

If you want a full rack width Racal counter then there is this one, only problem is the shipping cost, which says they really really can't be arsed with shipping.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402665384957

David

Haha, no thanks, half width is fine. I was just having some brain fade is all.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #81310 on: February 02, 2021, 01:53:43 am »
Gah, put this calculator kit together, (same one as mnementh did) and popped the batteries in, the LCD backlight came on, but the calculator refused to switch on |O Back to basics, double-checked my work, and it was all correct so measured voltages and discovered that the regulator, 7550A-1 in TO-92 package was only giving out 3V instead of 5V, so I had a chat with Amazon customer support. Explained that I had this kit, assembled it and told them that the 5V regulator was only providing 3V, thinking that they might just send out another kit, so I can swap out the part, but nope. Sent me prepaid returns label and even though it was a kit, going to give me a full refund for it once they receive it back. So, for that I give Amazon full marks. I don't think that I'll bother re-ordering it though, I did a bit of research, and it seems that others have had similar issues with the kit and for that reason, I'll give it a miss.  :palm:

The PCB seems to nicely silk-screened and of good quality just a shame that the components aren't of equal quality. Instructions are not supplied with the kit  :wtf: but they are downloadable are adequate for the job as long as you can follow the pictures OK as there is no written description.

Awww, man... sorry I wasn't around when you needed a hand.  :-[ I kindof got sucked into my little CircuitPython w/generic SDCard project; but hey, at least now I'm seeing signs of life.

mnem
 :palm:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 01:55:35 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #81311 on: February 02, 2021, 02:40:08 am »
I had a friend teach me to drive a manual in the late 70's.  I didn't have my first manual car until the late 80's, a 1980 Toyota Tercel hatchback.  Both Mrs GreyWoolfe (55) and I(64) can drive manuals.  I find them fun to drive outside of occasionally getting caught in traffic jams.  My 92 Ford Explorer had a rather heavy clutch and Mrs GreyWoolfe didn't much like driving it for that reason but I enjoyed the beast.  I had a 2001 Chevy Cavalier almost from new and put 100,000 miles on it in 2.5 years.  It was easy to drive without using the clutch for anything but first.  I only did it to show off and prove it can be done to non believers.  Of the 3 manual cars I have owned over the years, I miss the Explorer the most.

I was taught manual, as most people here are -- you can get "automatic" as a condition on the license, like "glasses" -- which means that you may only drive automatics.  I almost exclusively drive manual, and when I end up in an automatic I've been known to mistake the brake pedal for a non-existent clutch. FYI the clutch operation muscle memory for most people is to kick it down, more or less. This has consequences if you try the same with a brake pedal...

I too have experienced that.  My passengers have asked why I kick the floor so much.  In fact, I am pushing that non-existent clutch pedal...  :palm: Similar to Woolfe, I learned to drive manual on a Ford 1-tonne in the 80s and my first vehicle was a 1996 Chevy truck with a 5-speed.  Both were very heavy clutches, but had gearing such that it was difficult to stall on start.  It took me a while longer before I could drive a manual car; cars felt just too delicate at that time in my life.  On the other hand, even though they both had synchro-mesh, one could down-shift much faster and smoother by learning to double-declutch.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81312 on: February 02, 2021, 02:49:23 am »
I had a friend teach me to drive a manual in the late 70's.  I didn't have my first manual car until the late 80's, a 1980 Toyota Tercel hatchback.  Both Mrs GreyWoolfe (55) and I(64) can drive manuals.  I find them fun to drive outside of occasionally getting caught in traffic jams.  My 92 Ford Explorer had a rather heavy clutch and Mrs GreyWoolfe didn't much like driving it for that reason but I enjoyed the beast.  I had a 2001 Chevy Cavalier almost from new and put 100,000 miles on it in 2.5 years.  It was easy to drive without using the clutch for anything but first.  I only did it to show off and prove it can be done to non believers.  Of the 3 manual cars I have owned over the years, I miss the Explorer the most.

I was taught manual, as most people here are -- you can get "automatic" as a condition on the license, like "glasses" -- which means that you may only drive automatics.  I almost exclusively drive manual, and when I end up in an automatic I've been known to mistake the brake pedal for a non-existent clutch. FYI the clutch operation muscle memory for most people is to kick it down, more or less. This has consequences if you try the same with a brake pedal...

I too have experienced that.  My passengers have asked why I kick the floor so much.  In fact, I am pushing that non-existent clutch pedal...  :palm: Similar to Woolfe, I learned to drive manual on a Ford 1-tonne in the 80s and my first vehicle was a 1996 Chevy truck with a 5-speed.  Both were very heavy clutches, but had gearing such that it was difficult to stall on start.  It took me a while longer before I could drive a manual car; cars felt just too delicate at that time in my life.  On the other hand, even though they both had synchro-mesh, one could down-shift much faster and smoother by learning to double-declutch.

I drive both stick shift and automatic cars... in countries that drive on the right and on the left!   I have found it best to just leave it all to my subconscious, which seems to work OK.  If I try to think about it consciously, I mess up immediately!  :D

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #81313 on: February 02, 2021, 03:00:33 am »

I drive both stick shift and automatic cars... in countries that drive on the right and on the left!   I have found it best to just leave it all to my subconscious, which seems to work OK.  If I try to think about it consciously, I mess up immediately!  :D

My subconscious tells me that any good vehicle should have a clutch  >:D  I own both stick shift and automatic vehicles.  The current truck is automatic.  I am jealous of those getting the snow ... so close but not close enough.  Over here, we need snow to prevent destroying skis on the rocks hidden underneath.  The snow is so thin that I was able today to drive the truck through the yard to the back door to deliver a new hot water heater; driving like that should not be possible this time of the year.  Later this week, I will be practising my soldering, but that skill will have little carry-over to electronics.  :'(

EDIT:  but SWMBO will be happy to have the shower working again  :clap:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #81314 on: February 02, 2021, 03:42:32 am »
My subconscious tells me that any good vehicle should have a clutch  >:D
Yeah but it's only required for starting and stopping.  :P

Larry minor (our younger larrikin ) did a couple of 6 month stinks in nth Texas driving big rigs and combines and his boss threatened to cut the foot off anyone that used the clutch in his trucks all fitted with Roadranger gearboxes so all that previously hadn't had to learn how to shift clutchless up and down the box.  :o

I've tried it here in NZ with 15 and 18 speed Roadrangers only to make one hell of a mess of it in which I'm sure every poor gear ended significantly modified !  :-DD
Larry, the smart little poop can jump in any truck and do clutchless changes laden to 45t or empty.

He had much delight in doing downshifts descending steep hills when sitting his Class 5 license after returning from the states much to the amazement of the licensing officer who proclaimed he'd never seen wrong foot braking combined with blipping the throttle to unload the gears to allow a clutchless downshift.
Smart arse little poop !  ;D

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #81315 on: February 02, 2021, 03:45:33 am »
Local surplus store Trawl. TEAware  >:D

Tektronix SUCKS  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #81316 on: February 02, 2021, 06:00:13 am »
Wouldn't that be Teknotronix...?  :-DD

mnem
*heeds Hypnos' call*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81317 on: February 02, 2021, 07:48:17 am »
Something for German voltnuts:
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/fluke-5200a-ac-kalibrator-5105b-dmm-5215a/1648283804-168-8132

They were on ebay a few weeks ago. I bid on them (not quite 1000 €), but got overbid.
Guess they turned out to be harder to repair than he (and likely me) guessed ...
Waibstadt is not too far away. Maybe I should ask a friend for a drive there.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #81318 on: February 02, 2021, 10:16:05 am »
We all know free CAD software is a pain (i.e. FreeCAD).

Anyway I am choosing my next free EDA sadomaso torture, so far I have with two options on the table:

1 - Horizon EDA

100% made in Germany! Discussion here
Interesting design philosophy

2 - KiCAD

I downloaded KiCAD already and meh no wow effect there.

What do you use for PCB creation?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81319 on: February 02, 2021, 10:22:47 am »

I rember in the UK they actually haad TV public information "ads" about this. They told you to tuck your left foot away. This was in the seventies I guess automatics were getting a bit more common and there had been accidents. There are still the odd accident where somone presses the accererator insted of brake and just keep presing becuse expectation bias tell them it must be the brake pedal.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #81320 on: February 02, 2021, 10:51:39 am »
My subconscious tells me that any good vehicle should have a clutch  >:D  I own both stick shift and automatic vehicles.  The current truck is automatic.  I am jealous of those getting the snow ... so close but not close enough.  Over here, we need snow to prevent destroying skis on the rocks hidden underneath.  The snow is so thin that I was able today to drive the truck through the yard to the back door to deliver a new hot water heater; driving like that should not be possible this time of the year.  Later this week, I will be practising my soldering, but that skill will have little carry-over to electronics.  :'(

I'd happily send you the 4 inches that dropped here overnight. Good thing I wasn't planning on going to work today...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #81321 on: February 02, 2021, 10:58:20 am »
2 - KiCAD

I downloaded KiCAD already and meh no wow effect there.

What do you use for PCB creation?

I've used Eagle for many years but since Autodesk has bought Eagle, I've dropped it.
Now using KiCAD and it is okay, imho.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81322 on: February 02, 2021, 11:30:01 am »
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Philips-Digital-Multimeter-PM-2421-Pr%C3%BCfger%C3%A4t-mit-Nixie-R%C3%B6hren-Me%C3%9Fger%C3%A4t-defekt/303866737710

I don't need more Nixies, I don't need more Nixies... Ooo, it does nA.... I DON'T NEED MORE NIXIES!!!

Can I get some support here?

McBryce.

IMO, 55 € is a bit on the expensive side (IIRC, I paid around 35 € form my PM2421). But way better than the 99 € the last one was offered at. (And since it wasn't sold, it was relisted at 119 €, or do I confuse it with another item?)

This is a must have, of course! How many of your DMMs sport a 'nA' button?  ;)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81323 on: February 02, 2021, 11:34:15 am »
I went in with a lowball offer, lower than €35, but it was rejected by the seller. I wouldn't pay €55 for it either.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #81324 on: February 02, 2021, 11:36:56 am »

I'd happily send you the 4 inches that dropped here overnight. Good thing I wasn't planning on going to work today...

As soon as it's daylight here I'll show you significantly much more than 4 inches.  :o :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf