Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16739107 times)

Henrik_V and 123 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #81050 on: January 29, 2021, 06:58:32 pm »
@mnementh I also looked at one of these calculator kits last year and decided against it, however I may just review that decision to break the boredom up.

Well... that was satisfying, but not nearly long enuf. All the actual "make"-ery is done... now it's just assembly. I might mod it with a an old camera Li-Ion cell tho; it appears to have a backlit LCD & I don't imagine CR2032s will last long.   Still... def worth the pittance they charge to occupy a afternoon.  ;D

mnem
Yeh, it does make you wonder as to why they didn't include a power socket and make the batteries rechargeable, shouldn't add all that much to the kits cost?

Seeing it all sitting there now, kinda makes me wish I had one to build to... I may have to pull the trigger on one myself soon  :-+

Ugghhh... no runsies on single LiPo. While STC15W408AS processor runs down to 2.4V, the cheap 1602A LCD still requires min 4.7V to operate. That explains the choice of 2 CR2032s as power source. While everything does run off a 7550-1 5V LDO which can easily be powered with a 2S LiPo, then BMS becomes a bit more complicated, as the tiny micro-USB all-in-one BMS boards only do a single cell. They do make 2S versions, but much larger and I only have the 1S version on hand.  ::)

Trying to decide if I really give even half a rat's ass on this toy... Measured total current draw is 16.5mA operating, 9-10uA quiescent. Figuring approx 160-170mAH capacity on a CR2032 (down to 2.8V*2 or so for the 5V LDO) that's still a solid 2 years standby give or take, which seems pretty good... except the operating draw is aboot 100x the CC a CR2032 is designed for, and more than twice the expected pulse current.

I'm still looking for some actual stats at a 16mA draw; everything with useful figures has been for pulse loading in the uS-mS range, not continuous for many seconds or minutes at a time. At this point, no idea how such a high current draw will affect actual capacity in mAH... but I would be surprised if actual yield is more than double-digits.  :P

mnem
"It's always somethin'..." ~Rosanne Rosanna-Danna

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81051 on: January 29, 2021, 06:59:02 pm »
On that note I think I’ve decided to buy a series 3 Land Rover again  :-DD

I think you need a Landie better suited to London traffic conditions:

In that context I think the GPMG is not optional.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline sb42

• Contributor
« Reply #81052 on: January 29, 2021, 07:00:32 pm »
Wrecking balls... wrecking balls... gitcher wrecking balls right here, only 2 quid apiece!!! :-DD

I'm afraid the proper wrecking ball design is a tad more expensive. Only 5 left in stock :scared:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81053 on: January 29, 2021, 07:05:45 pm »

*clicks linky, even tho I know I shouldn't*

Oh, fer cryin in the mud...  :palm:

mnem
"A Phūl and his money are some party." ~me
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 07:07:24 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81054 on: January 29, 2021, 07:15:24 pm »

That must have got stuck in one hell of a traffic jam, vegetation has begun to grow all over it  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81055 on: January 29, 2021, 07:15:43 pm »

I was already thinking the attached  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81056 on: January 29, 2021, 07:21:02 pm »
@mnementh I also looked at one of these calculator kits last year and decided against it, however I may just review that decision to break the boredom up.

Well... that was satisfying, but not nearly long enuf. All the actual "make"-ery is done... now it's just assembly. I might mod it with a an old camera Li-Ion cell tho; it appears to have a backlit LCD & I don't imagine CR2032s will last long.   Still... def worth the pittance they charge to occupy a afternoon.  ;D

mnem
Yeh, it does make you wonder as to why they didn't include a power socket and make the batteries rechargeable, shouldn't add all that much to the kits cost?

Seeing it all sitting there now, kinda makes me wish I had one to build to... I may have to pull the trigger on one myself soon  :-+

Ugghhh... no runsies on single LiPo. While STC15W408AS processor runs down to 2.4V, the cheap 1602A LCD still requires min 4.7V to operate. That explains the choice of 2 CR2032s as power source. While everything does run off a 7550-1 5V LDO which can easily be powered with a 2S LiPo, then BMS becomes a bit more complicated, as the tiny micro-USB all-in-one BMS boards only do a single cell. They do make 2S versions, but much larger and I only have the 1S version on hand.  ::)

Trying to decide if I really give even half a rat's ass on this toy... Measured total current draw is 16.5mA operating, 9-10uA quiescent. Figuring approx 160-170mAH capacity on a CR2032 (down to 2.8V*2 or so for the 5V LDO) that's still a solid 2 years standby give or take, which seems pretty good... except the operating draw is aboot 100x the CC a CR2032 is designed for, and more than twice the expected pulse current.

I'm still looking for some actual stats at a 16mA draw; everything with useful figures has been for pulse loading in the uS-mS range, not continuous for many seconds or minutes at a time. At this point, no idea how such a high current draw will affect actual capacity in mAH... but I would be surprised if actual yield is more than double-digits.  :P

mnem

My kit arrives tomorrow
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81057 on: January 29, 2021, 07:27:22 pm »
So it’s an 8051. Is there any room for a daughter board inside the case. Was thinking STM32 adapter and running WP34s on it  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81058 on: January 29, 2021, 07:33:15 pm »
@bd139
Your Land Rover reminded me of the car that Richard Hammond had for the Grand Tour Madagascar Treasure Hunt program on Amazon recently  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81059 on: January 29, 2021, 07:34:39 pm »
WTF is that a Ka?  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81060 on: January 29, 2021, 07:36:48 pm »
WTF is that a Ka?  :palm:
Nope, its the new Focus RS.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81061 on: January 29, 2021, 07:45:31 pm »
Ah Ford Fuckarse  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81062 on: January 29, 2021, 07:49:55 pm »
Yus master
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 07:52:59 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81063 on: January 29, 2021, 08:11:06 pm »

That is a Series 3

I've always Fancied a 101" FC Radio Body
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_101_Forward_Control#/media/File:Land_Rover_101_Forward_Control.jpg
There is a very Dilapidated GS in the village, beyond what I'd attempt, but even so the owner won't sell it so it's rotting away.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, mansaxel

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #81064 on: January 29, 2021, 08:43:55 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_101_Forward_Control#/media/File:Land_Rover_101_Forward_Control.jpg
Our local Landie wrecker has one and he used as his runabout for a while some years back when I had a heavily modified SWB S3 a bit like Beans one.
After a couple of decades of always fixing nearly every little thing on it I let it go for something more modern.
186 6cyl Holden donk and aftermarket high torque head, std carb and ignition, adaptor plate to a S2a gearbox (strong) Mahindra (IIRC) overdrive, S3 transfer case (strong), Rover 90 4.3:1 diff gears swapped into the stronger S3 diff heads and cut and widened Landy rims then hot dipped galv'ed for beach work. Ran 265/16 LT radials on them. Track width was 3" wider overall from the widened rims and it seemed like a totally different truck.
One of the better mods was biffing out the SWB rear leaf springs and fitting a std LWB set that had less main leafs and some beefy overloads so that an unloaded ride was far more comfortable.

The thing was reasonably economical if you kept under ~90kph and with the 2850cc 6cyl good and torquey for hill work. Missed it after sale for a few years then yeah...nah.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #81065 on: January 29, 2021, 08:55:08 pm »
The, um, unforgiving ride in a Landie was for a good reason: to protect the car when in the middle of nowhere. The basic concept was that you felt you were in dander of damaging yourself and slowed down - which reduced the stresses on the car.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81066 on: January 29, 2021, 09:04:46 pm »
There is a very Dilapidated GS in the village, beyond what I'd attempt, but even so the owner won't sell it so it's rotting away.

About 20 years ago, when I still used to regularly go hillwalking in the kind of places a Landie would be a good idea, I gave some very serious consideration to getting a 101 FC, either radio body (comparatively rare), or ambulance body (comparatively common) to use as an ersatz camper van.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81067 on: January 29, 2021, 09:27:51 pm »

About 20 years ago, when I still used to regularly go hillwalking in the kind of places a Landie would be a good idea, I gave some very serious consideration to getting a 101 FC, either radio body (comparatively rare), or ambulance body (comparatively common) to use as an ersatz camper van.

Only problem with the 101 is if you hit anything in it you are basically riding the front end of a person juicer. Also you have to be weird shaped to get in one. I drove one off road once and it scared the shit out of me. I did the same in my 3 as well and scared the shit out of my passenger at the time as well  :-DD

To be honest tggzzz’s comment about the unforgiving ride of the Land Rover which I had forgotten entirely and the (sorry for the TMI comment) current state of my arse hole at the moment have put me off the idea now entirely  :-DD

Edit: finding the seats in my C3 a little hard at the moment to be honest  :scared:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #81068 on: January 29, 2021, 09:32:52 pm »
The, um, unforgiving ride in a Landie was for a good reason: to protect the car when in the middle of nowhere. The basic concept was that you felt you were in dander of damaging yourself and slowed down - which reduced the stresses on the car.
The 1/2 ton SWB rear spring stack was a POS and uprating it to the 1t LWB was a desirable mod due to the vast improvement in ride. The LWB vs SWB diffs. chassis, spring fixtures were so little different you could swap stuff to and fro as you liked. S2a and later where the stronger mechanically and when you have bits from each apart on the bench it's easy to see why.

The Landy wrecker I mentioned earlier recommended such a mod and as he'd served his time in the Landy factory in UK before immigrating to NZ he had a fair idea of all the improvements you could make to them.
I also had decades of experience to call on from chaps that had worked for the local Landy agent...the largest at that time in NZ.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #81069 on: January 29, 2021, 10:08:50 pm »
I got this week some 3.3V voltage references from Texas Instruments.

Type: REF3033AIDBZR, SOT-23
The datasheet can be downloaded here.

Anybody interested in playing around with them? If yes, drop me a PM
and I'll send you five of them, including five little adapter PCBs.
Since these are very small parts, I'll send them worldwide.

I can share totally 50 REF3033 and 50 adapter boards.

See attached image.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81070 on: January 29, 2021, 10:09:21 pm »

mnem
My kit arrives tomorrow
So it’s an 8051. Is there any room for a daughter board inside the case. Was thinking STM32 adapter and running WP34s on it  :-DD

https://www.amazon.com/Seeeduino-Smallest-Microcontroller-Interfaces-Compatible/dp/B087D2VSBL/

Okay, now that's freaky. I found the screws I needed in black for cheap... so I started looking for ATSAMD21G18 boards (Like the Adafruit Adafruit Metro M0) from the CircuitPython "Already Supported" list that were actually in stock up here so I could get started with CircuitPython. Got a Ardu MKR Zero on the way, but these were on the same page.

So out of curiosity I dropped a 3-pack of 'em in my cart. Looks like pretty much a ATTiny85 thumbnail board, only with ARM 32-bit power; and even if I can't get the Python interpreter image to work on it (I know I'd have to add some form of storage for the Python scripts), can always fall back on the Ardu IDE to make some use of them; maybe do Father & Son Time or summat.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 10:11:39 pm by mnementh »

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81071 on: January 29, 2021, 10:13:07 pm »
My neighbour's new spaniel arrived ahead of schedule while her mother (a working dog) was being transported in the Land Rover. The pup is now officially named Landie.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81072 on: January 29, 2021, 10:32:25 pm »

mnem
My kit arrives tomorrow

https://www.amazon.com/Seeeduino-Smallest-Microcontroller-Interfaces-Compatible/dp/B087D2VSBL/

Okay, now that's freaky. I found the screws I needed in black for cheap... so I started looking for ATSAMD21G18 boards (Like the Adafruit Adafruit Metro M0) from the CircuitPython "Already Supported" list that were actually in stock up here so I could get started with CircuitPython. Got a Ardu MKR Zero on the way, but these were on the same page.

So out of curiosity I dropped a 3-pack of 'em in my cart. Looks like pretty much a ATTiny85 thumbnail board, only with ARM 32-bit power; and even if I can't get the Python interpreter image to work on it (I know I'd have to add some form of storage for the Python scripts), can always fall back on the Ardu IDE to make some use of them; maybe do Father & Son Time or summat.

mnem
 :-/O

Nice toy those boards. Let us know if it works out as I’m after some small microcontrollers that I don’t have to argue with C any more with. Done too many years of that now. I’m fucking done  :-DD

On ARM, yesterday was actually the 32nd anniversary of my ARM based desktop computer ownership. I blew my entire inheritance from someone on an Acorn Archimedes. This machine lasted until around 1995 when it was replaced with a RiscPC. Then I left the market for Windows NT in 1997 with a Compaq Professional Workstation 5000. Sad times.

But here I sit now again 32 years later and my main desktop machine is an ARM again, I’m writing this on an ARM phone and discussing ARM microcontrollers.

What a ride.

Edit: also a British product that wasn’t shit  :-DD
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 10:35:01 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #81073 on: January 29, 2021, 10:37:05 pm »

Only problem with the 101 is if you hit anything in it you are basically riding the front end of a person juicer. Also you have to be weird shaped to get in one. I drove one off road once and it scared the shit out of me. I did the same in my 3 as well and scared the shit out of my passenger at the time as well  :-DD

To be honest tggzzz’s comment about the unforgiving ride of the Land Rover which I had forgotten entirely and the (sorry for the TMI comment) current state of my arse hole at the moment have put me off the idea now entirely  :-DD

Edit: finding the seats in my C3 a little hard at the moment to be honest  :scared:

Sounds pike you need me of these https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/chairs-and-seating/chair-pressure-cushions-high-risk/high-risk-chair-pressure-cushion

Poor old man ;)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #81074 on: January 29, 2021, 10:39:01 pm »
Hahaha. If I can cut a hole in the middle of it I’m good  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf