Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16733831 times)

Carl_Smith and 68 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #80925 on: January 28, 2021, 06:13:47 pm »
Not sure if this is the right thread to bring this up....but......I bought the "Siglent Technologies SDM3045X 4-1/2 Digit Digital Multimeter, DMM".

I really like the meter but there's a small problem with it.  When they put the symbol on the ON/OFF button it's off center. It drives me crazy every time I look at it!

Guess my question is would any of you return the unit because of this or am I way to OCD about it...... :-//

Here's a picture of the meter.

Personally, I'd flag it up to the seller that it is off-centre and see what they say about. If they were to offer a partial refund, rather than return it and replace, I'd accept the refund and live with it. You know what the button does anyway and TBH, how often do you sit and look at it. It might in the fullness of time add to its value, similarly to postage stamps that occasionally get issued without any perforations?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: xmas111

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #80926 on: January 28, 2021, 06:53:16 pm »
    Guess my question is would any of you return the unit because of this or am I way to OCD about it...... :-//
I wouldn't accept it!
Nope; not being OCD. That is a major cosmetic flaw, and thanks to ironic manifestation, it very visibly casts a poor light on the quality of the whole brand.

"Trade Dress" is an important part of modern business; just ask Apple or any auto manufacturer. If you don't return one as egregiously effed-up as this one, they'll think they can get away with that shitty level of QC. The company should bend over backwards to make you happy so you're not posting this shit on Reddit.  :palm:

If it were me, I'd hope for a sizable refund... but odds are they'll just make you return it and foist it off on someone else over and over until they it winds up in the possession of someone who can't be arsed to send it back.

mnem
Not only is the customer the beta tester, but now first-level QC as well... ::)
Yeah that's real crap QC.  :wtf:  :--

First job of today was to email my highest level contacts at the factory about this with suggestions for Ohio to contact xmas111.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, xmas111

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #80927 on: January 28, 2021, 06:54:05 pm »
Maybe test equipment will become cheaper in the UK?

The next but one Ramco Auction (9th Feb) states "(DELIVERY ONLY due to COVID-19) DELIVERY ONLY TO UK RESIDENTS - ANY EXPORT APPLICATIONS WILL BE SUBJECT TO A £120 CHARGE"
https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/timed/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10269

So, bad luck for ice-tea?

We can but hope.

Oh, be nice!

Seriously, though. I could probably eat 120£. And as I've mentioned before: if you guys have your eyes on something, PM me. I'd be happy to back of. Or, perhaps more practical, I'll back off up to the point were you'd let go yourself.

In addition, if one of the forum members is interested in an item I'd be happy to bid on their behalf so you can "ride" my logistics.

I'm still lusting after a rack mount DMM/DVM with blue dot matrix VFD...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80928 on: January 28, 2021, 07:00:47 pm »

The next but one Ramco Auction (9th Feb) states "(DELIVERY ONLY due to COVID-19) DELIVERY ONLY TO UK RESIDENTS - ANY EXPORT APPLICATIONS WILL BE SUBJECT TO A £120 CHARGE"
https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/timed/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10269

We can but hope.

Oh, be nice!

Seriously, though. I could probably eat 120£. And as I've mentioned before: if you guys have your eyes on something, PM me. I'd be happy to back of. Or, perhaps more practical, I'll back off up to the point were you'd let go yourself.

In addition, if one of the forum members is interested in an item I'd be happy to bid on their behalf so you can "ride" my logistics.

I wasn't picking on you, just savouring the possibility of less price competition in general.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80929 on: January 28, 2021, 07:02:49 pm »
Yep, maximum HP on the Civic is at 6100 RPM. That's all part of the fun. Row the gearbox and keep the rev's up. I don't do much city driving so down low torque to race from traffic light to traffic light isn't part of the game plan. Twisting roads and no traffic is where it shines.

And why the CR-V is so unsatisfying to drive. A 2.4 liter motor tied to a fumbling 5 speed automatic. And no ability to shift it manually even if you wanted to. It just screams for a 5 or 6 speed manual gearbox but Honda decided not for the American market because we're a bunch of lazy asses.   
Still have to disagree, I have driven Honda Accords and Civics all have Vtec engines with manual boxes, whereas mine is 6 speed automatic with silky smooth changes and I think it is a hoot to drive either in city or on twisting roads with no traffic, it still puts a smile on my face whatever, despite it being a big barge of a car. It never feels big until you reverse it and look over your shoulder and realise how far away the rear window is and that doesnt happen very often as it has a perfectly good rearview mirror and parking sensors all round.

Well exactly. Your Audi motor with low down torque is an excellent fit to an automatic transmission. A high rev'ing Honda motor is not and every time I drive the CR-V I'm painfully reminded of that.

A properly-tuned 6-speed AT is a joy to drive; the one in our Rav4 has Eco & Sport modes and I always leave it in sport mode, as the economy is the same as long as I don't mat the pedal all the time. Shift points are positive, and it is a good match to a 2.5 with variable cam timing so it still does develop usable torque at relatively low rpm. My only gripe is the traction control, which is actually a liability if you're an experienced driver who expects to be able to spin the wheels under certain conditions.

Bottom line is that 6-speed AT makes it so the 4-banger is always right in the middle of its power band; quite frankly, I haven't had a 4-cyl that was as satisfying to drive most of the time since my old 2.3 Lima-block Turbo Thunderbird.

Don't get me wrong... there's still no replacement for displacement. But that shit needs to be your toy, not your daily driver. Those huge old dinosaurs (even the little velociraptors :P) are fun, but for our kids' sake they need to be off the road most of the time. And I include most of even the more recent "sporty" cars in that too, like the 1st gen TT that started this particular fork of the conversation. They all burn dirty and they all put another nail in mother earth's coffin with every smile they put on your face. ;)

mnem
Please drive your toys "responsibly". >:D

The CR-V has an "Econ" button which is always off but no "sport" mode. Supposedly it has an "adaptive" transmission which adjusts it's programming to your driving style. Well it needs to go back to school because I give it at most a "C" for adapting to my driving style.

Traction control? Please. Whenever I drive in snow that shit is turned off. Agreed, in certain conditions you want wheel spin. But I must say that the automatic AWD is excellent and responds quickly.

The only gear selections I have are D, 2, 1 and a button which disables lockup and OD. When driving in snow I hit that button so the transmission only shifts up to 3rd gear. If you put it in second it not only locks in 2nd gear it also starts out in 2nd gear which can be useful if stuck. Same for 1st gear. But overall I think it's a shitty design but still light years ahead of the newer CR-V's which have a CVT.  :palm:   
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:05:01 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #80930 on: January 28, 2021, 07:05:29 pm »
I wouldn't accept it!
Nope; not being OCD. That is a major cosmetic flaw, and thanks to ironic manifestation, it very visibly casts a poor light on the quality of the whole brand.

"Trade Dress" is an important part of modern business; just ask Apple or any auto manufacturer. If you don't return one as egregiously effed-up as this one, they'll think they can get away with that shitty level of QC. The company should bend over backwards to make you happy so you're not posting this shit on Reddit.  :palm:

If it were me, I'd hope for a sizable refund... but odds are they'll just make you return it and foist it off on someone else over and over until they it winds up in the possession of someone who can't be arsed to send it back.

mnem
Not only is the customer the beta tester, but now first-level QC as well... ::)
Yeah that's real crap QC.  :wtf:  :--

First job of today was to email my highest level contacts at the factory about this with suggestions for Ohio to contact xmas111.

Thanks for stepping up, TT. I wasn't going to volunteer you for that headache, as I was pretty sure you didn't sell the unit to a US customer. :-+

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80931 on: January 28, 2021, 07:12:18 pm »

For those who care; my latest 3DP tinkery project is done: LED Work Lighting on my new CReality CR-6SE. Yummeh!   

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/3d-printer-yet/msg3436340/#msg3436340

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80932 on: January 28, 2021, 07:16:47 pm »
Thanks for stepping up, TT. I wasn't going to volunteer you for that headache, as I was pretty sure you didn't sell the unit to a US customer. :-+
No worries, Management, Manufacturing and QC need a kick in the balls at times if they think they'll ever challenge the big boys and if anyone can get away with doing that I think I can.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80933 on: January 28, 2021, 07:20:51 pm »
No worries, Management, Manufacturing and QC need a kick in the balls at times if they think they'll ever challenge the big boys and if anyone can get away with doing that I think I can.  ;)

Yea, someone was asleep at the switch.  ;D

Boo hiss...bad joke.  :P :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tautech, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80934 on: January 28, 2021, 07:21:12 pm »
How you getting on with that busted Tek called Larry Med ?  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80935 on: January 28, 2021, 07:22:58 pm »
Glad you feel that way. I just didn't wanna be another of those "Oh, I never hear aboot anything but the bad shit..." incidents for ya.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80936 on: January 28, 2021, 07:23:53 pm »
A properly-tuned 6-speed AT is a joy to drive; the one in our Rav4 has Eco & Sport modes and I always leave it in sport mode, as the economy is the same as long as I don't mat the pedal all the time. Shift points are positive, and it is a good match to a 2.5 with variable cam timing so it still does develop usable torque at relatively low rpm. My only gripe is the traction control, which is actually a liability if you're an experienced driver who expects to be able to spin the wheels under certain conditions.

Bottom line is that 6-speed AT makes it so the 4-banger is always right in the middle of its power band; quite frankly, I haven't had a 4-cyl that was as satisfying to drive most of the time since my old 2.3 Lima-block Turbo Thunderbird.

Don't get me wrong... there's still no replacement for displacement. But that shit needs to be your toy, not your daily driver. Those huge old dinosaurs (even the little velociraptors :P) are fun, but for our kids' sake they need to be off the road most of the time. And I include most of even the more recent "sporty" cars in that too, like the 1st gen TT that started this particular fork of the conversation. They all burn dirty and they all put another nail in mother earth's coffin with every smile they put on your face. ;)

mnem

The CR-V has an "Econ" button which is always off but no "sport" mode. Supposedly it has an "adaptive" transmission which adjusts it's programming to your driving style. Well it needs to go back to school because I give it at most a "C" for adapting to my driving style.

Traction control? Please. Whenever I drive in snow that shit is turned off. Agreed, in certain conditions you want wheel spin. But I must say that the automatic AWD is excellent and responds quickly.

The only gear selections I have are D, 2, 1 and a button which disables lockup and OD. When driving in snow I hit that button so the transmission only shifts up to 3rd gear. If you put it in second it not only locks in 2nd gear it also starts out in 2nd gear which can be useful if stuck. Same for 1st gear. But overall I think it's a shitty design but still light years ahead of the newer CR-V's which have a CVT.  :palm:

Ehhh... the Rav4's traction control is on by default and you have to turn it off every time you start the car. PITA to me, but just as well for my wife who's a Louisiana grrl driving in the snow belt for the first time in her life. I still turn it off most of the time when I drive tho.  :P

In another few years the CPU will likely be cracked with open-source tools and I'll be able to turn off all the annoying nanny-state shit. Til then I live with it, as it is her car anyways. :-//

mnem
vroom.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80937 on: January 28, 2021, 07:25:31 pm »

For those who care; my latest 3DP tinkery project is done: LED Work Lighting on my new CReality CR-6SE. Yummeh!   

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/3d-printer-yet/msg3436340/#msg3436340

mnem

Cos' the servo's need to see what they are doing?? :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80938 on: January 28, 2021, 07:25:33 pm »
How you getting on with that busted Tek called Larry Med ?  :horse:

Got busy with other non TE stuff today so didn't work on him. Definitely won't tomorrow as the Lady Cop is coming up this weekend and the 29th is our 10 year anniversary of our first time meeting. So needless to say my attentions will be turned elsewhere this weekend.  >:D

Next week at the earliest I'll be back on it. 

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80939 on: January 28, 2021, 07:28:40 pm »

mnem

Ehhh... the Rav4's traction control is on by default and you have to turn it off every time you start the car. PITA to me, but just as well for my wife who's a Louisiana grrl driving in the snow belt for the first time in her life. I still turn it off most of the time when I drive tho.  :P

In another few years the CPU will likely be cracked with open-source tools and I'll be able to turn off all the annoying nanny-state shit. Til then I live with it, as it is her car anyways. :-//

mnem
vroom.

The traction control acts in the same manner in the CR-V. I typically turn it off only when driving in snow.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80940 on: January 28, 2021, 07:30:51 pm »
Glad you feel that way. I just didn't wanna be another of those "Oh, I never hear aboot anything but the bad shit..." incidents for ya.  :-DD

mnem
:-DD
TBH I have a good run with Siglent stuff (touches wood) and here in little ol' NZ problems are rare but I check/update/add a TT sticker to every unit before it goes out the door so I would notice that goofed print on the button while doing so and hold it back until a new button arrived.
The big boy box shifters can't offer such attention to PD checks as they're too busy to do so.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 07:40:24 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #80941 on: January 28, 2021, 07:36:33 pm »
got the go for a new company notebook (TP P15, 64GB and an RTX5000 (WTF, I did not ask for THAT much ...)
plus a Zynq Ultrascale-Board to play with. Also an invitation for a u$ workshop (quote boss: we need to know what the enemy is up to)

Project: establish Vitis tool chain and familiarize myself with deep learning and FPGA deployment.

Fine with me.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Ice-Tea, mnementh, ch_scr, cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80942 on: January 28, 2021, 07:39:56 pm »

We can but hope.

Oh, be nice!

I wasn't picking on you, just savouring the possibility of less price competition in general.  :)

Hopefully it will deter the 1 or 2 item overseas buyer who have been bidding stuff up to silly levels. A couple of autions ago they apparently had over 400 individual buyers, most overseas.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #80943 on: January 28, 2021, 07:48:34 pm »

We can but hope.

Oh, be nice!

You did that for me once, for which I am appropriately grateful.

Unfortunately now there would probably be a double lot of import duties for us :( "Brexit: 'I was asked to pay an extra £82 for my £200 coat'"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55734277
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80944 on: January 28, 2021, 07:52:18 pm »
Scope probe leaving the UK. RM is using GLS as delivery partner. Did not know that ( :scared: )

But we'll see.

Picked up an RTX 3080 to do some calculations ...

The following users thanked this post: vk6zgo

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #80945 on: January 28, 2021, 07:58:56 pm »
Hopefully it will deter the 1 or 2 item overseas buyer who have been bidding stuff up to silly levels.

Not making any promises  ;D

I'm still lusting after a rack mount DMM/DVM with blue dot matrix VFD...

Don't think there's one on the next auction... But if it's blue VFD you want:

Even from the company you're lusting after, unless I'm mistaken  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Mortymore

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80946 on: January 28, 2021, 08:01:56 pm »
Scope probe leaving the UK. RM is using GLS as delivery partner. Did not know that ( :scared: )

But we'll see.

Picked up an RTX 3080 to do some calculations ...

They don't tell you who they use. I know nothing about GLS....

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80947 on: January 28, 2021, 08:02:13 pm »
   For those who care; my latest 3DP tinkery project is done: LED Work Lighting on my new CReality CR-6SE. Yummeh!   https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/3d-printer-yet/msg3436340/#msg3436340

mnem

Cos' the servo's need to see what they are doing?? :D

McBryce.
No, cuz I'm old & blind as a baseball bat.  :-DD

Also, since it is a dumb machine which runs by rote with no actual closed-loop process control, so I can actually see what it's doing when I check in on it; whether eyes-on or via remote camera.  ;) I can leave the rest of the lights off in the room if the rest of the fam is watching TV, etc and still be able to see to do prep and part removal, etc.

mnem
*lit AF*
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 08:11:38 pm by mnementh »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80948 on: January 28, 2021, 08:06:34 pm »
@Robert don't worry. Insurance would be thru RM, not GLS. We'll see and I'll hand sign for it anyway given the home office situation.

I am grateful that you handled it in the first place. I will not start bickering about the parcel service.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80949 on: January 28, 2021, 08:09:00 pm »

mnem
:-DD
TBH I have a good run with Siglent stuff (touches wood) and here in little ol' NZ problems are rare but I check/update/add a TT sticker to every unit before it goes out the door so I would notice that goofed print on the button while doing so and hold it back until a new button arrived. The big boy box shifters can't offer such attention to PD checks as they're too busy to do so.

Well, no... I figured that your exposure here as a Siglent Rep would have to result in a fair number of "OMGWTFBBQ! TT pleeeeze save me!!!" PMs from people on eevBlog who bought the brand elsewhere. I have no idea how much of that there might be, but didn't want to add to it. ;)

mnem
 :-BROKE

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf