Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16733864 times)

Carl_Smith and 65 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #80900 on: January 28, 2021, 02:17:04 pm »
Have them perform Seppuku

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80901 on: January 28, 2021, 02:41:34 pm »
They won’t. They’ll borrow off other funds, try and steamroll everyone and burn everyone else down with them. When contracts are up they’ll go with their crocodile smiles to the regulatory bodies and tell them it was unfair that some kids beat them and stole their cookies and they don’t have enough money to pay up. Then retire to suburbia on their modest few million in pocket they got from insider trading, fraud elsewhere and stealing the office assets. Eventually this will lead to regulation which allows them to carry on with their shifty behaviour to the exclusion of everyone else.  Then they’ll start a new fund up doing the same shit again.

Since you work in finance, do you have them around you?

Not that flavour but a similar one. And it smells the same.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80902 on: January 28, 2021, 02:51:51 pm »
They won’t. They’ll borrow off other funds, try and steamroll everyone and burn everyone else down with them. When contracts are up they’ll go with their crocodile smiles to the regulatory bodies and tell them it was unfair that some kids beat them and stole their cookies and they don’t have enough money to pay up. Then retire to suburbia on their modest few million in pocket they got from insider trading, fraud elsewhere and stealing the office assets. Eventually this will lead to regulation which allows them to carry on with their shifty behaviour to the exclusion of everyone else.  Then they’ll start a new fund up doing the same shit again.
Yep, your right and what really makes my blood boil is that most of the public look upto those modern day pirates in awe because they have stashed away millions if not billions of ill-gotten gains while those like us who have had to study for years to gain our qualifications, often find ourselves towards the bottom of the food chain  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80903 on: January 28, 2021, 03:04:21 pm »
It got worse. Robin Hood, the trading platform they have been using, just shut down trades on AMC, Nokia, GameStop and Blackberry.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80904 on: January 28, 2021, 03:13:23 pm »
Hollyyyy what is happening with GameStop....  :-DD

Reddit users are destroying a fund who were trying to short GameStop. And they’re doing it successfully so far. This is a massive fuck you to the fundy scum  :-DD

Overview: https://m.imgur.com/a/DCCpuZA

A quick political statement about it as well https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/l6omry/an_open_letter_to_melvin_capital_cnbc_boomers_and/

So when do the greedy bastards start jumping out windows?  >:D

Exactly that. Or, as boing-boing put it yesterday:

Reuter's reports that "regulators may scrutinize GameStop's Reddit-driven retail stock surge." In other words, the wrong people made money.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline xmas111

• johnsweather
« Reply #80905 on: January 28, 2021, 03:24:18 pm »
Not sure if this is the right thread to bring this up....but......I bought the "Siglent Technologies SDM3045X 4-1/2 Digit Digital Multimeter, DMM".

I really like the meter but there's a small problem with it.  When they put the symbol on the ON/OFF button it's off center. It drives me crazy every time I look at it!

Guess my question is would any of you return the unit because of this or am I way to OCD about it...... :-//

Here's a picture of the meter.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80906 on: January 28, 2021, 03:28:57 pm »
Guess my question is would any of you return the unit because of this or am I way to OCD about it...... :-//

I wouldn't accept it!
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, xmas111

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80907 on: January 28, 2021, 03:44:20 pm »
I'd sand it off and leave the button blank.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: xmas111

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80908 on: January 28, 2021, 03:49:33 pm »
Friday afternoon job that  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xmas111

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #80909 on: January 28, 2021, 03:52:08 pm »
Yep, maximum HP on the Civic is at 6100 RPM. That's all part of the fun. Row the gearbox and keep the rev's up. I don't do much city driving so down low torque to race from traffic light to traffic light isn't part of the game plan. Twisting roads and no traffic is where it shines.

And why the CR-V is so unsatisfying to drive. A 2.4 liter motor tied to a fumbling 5 speed automatic. And no ability to shift it manually even if you wanted to. It just screams for a 5 or 6 speed manual gearbox but Honda decided not for the American market because we're a bunch of lazy asses.   
Still have to disagree, I have driven Honda Accords and Civics all have Vtec engines with manual boxes, whereas mine is 6 speed automatic with silky smooth changes and I think it is a hoot to drive either in city or on twisting roads with no traffic, it still puts a smile on my face whatever, despite it being a big barge of a car. It never feels big until you reverse it and look over your shoulder and realise how far away the rear window is and that doesnt happen very often as it has a perfectly good rearview mirror and parking sensors all round.

Well exactly. Your Audi motor with low down torque is an excellent fit to an automatic transmission. A high rev'ing Honda motor is not and every time I drive the CR-V I'm painfully reminded of that.

A properly-tuned 6-speed AT is a joy to drive; the one in our Rav4 has Eco & Sport modes and I always leave it in sport mode, as the economy is the same as long as I don't mat the pedal all the time. Shift points are positive, and it is a good match to a 2.5 with variable cam timing so it still does develop usable torque at relatively low rpm. My only gripe is the traction control, which is actually a liability if you're an experienced driver who expects to be able to spin the wheels under certain conditions.

Bottom line is that 6-speed AT makes it so the 4-banger is always right in the middle of its power band; quite frankly, I haven't had a 4-cyl that was as satisfying to drive most of the time since my old 2.3 Lima-block Turbo Thunderbird.

Don't get me wrong... there's still no replacement for displacement. But that shit needs to be your toy, not your daily driver. Those huge old dinosaurs (even the little velociraptors :P) are fun, but for our kids' sake they need to be off the road most of the time. And I include most of even the more recent "sporty" cars in that too, like the 1st gen TT that started this particular fork of the conversation. They all burn dirty and they all put another nail in mother earth's coffin with every smile they put on your face. ;)

mnem
Please drive your toys "responsibly". >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80910 on: January 28, 2021, 03:58:40 pm »

It's Thursday, but don't let that stop you doing some quality sanding.

McBryce.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80911 on: January 28, 2021, 04:00:13 pm »
I meant the guy who did that labelling did it on a Friday afternoon. “Just 40 more of these to go and I can piss off home”

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80912 on: January 28, 2021, 04:08:49 pm »
Just wait until mnem wakes up and see's all this. My laptop will burst into flames.  :palm:

Meh. Gameflop has been circling the drain for decades; this abuse was inevitable.  :-//

The raiders who were waiting (they always know ahead of time) to carve the remains up into little hor$ d'oeuvres are the ones who will cause the most trouble behind the scenes; if the GameStop board plays their cards right, they could use the temporary liquidity to actually save the company with a Apple-ify makeover. Of course, monkeys might fly out my butt, too.  ::)

Of course the banksters will just shuffle the numbers around to another column and the taxpayer will foot the bill; that is now The American Way.

OTOH, the inquiry that should arise from all this would be a really tasty legislation-bomb for Harris to sink her teeth into... but I expect those two are still too busy de-lousing the White House to do more than newsbyte such trivial things.  :palm:

mnem
Lather, rinse, repeat...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 04:23:22 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #80913 on: January 28, 2021, 04:11:21 pm »

McBryce.

Could have been a Monday morning one after a hard weekend of drinking, too...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80914 on: January 28, 2021, 04:12:31 pm »
Just wait until mnem wakes up and see's all this. My laptop will burst into flames.  :palm:

Arrrrou...?

mnem
*forbidden* >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80915 on: January 28, 2021, 04:20:18 pm »
Bring it. I'm ready.  :P :-DD
Worried about Dwagons in your threads. Granny in Oz has a Snake in her PJ's  :o

Jeezus... one little weekend of hot, slithy serpent sex with the Quetzalcoatl and they never let you live it down...  >:D

mnem
Do you have any idea how long I paid child support on those little psycho-wyrms...? Medusa still has some of them on her head... :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80916 on: January 28, 2021, 04:31:36 pm »
I wouldn't accept it!
Nope; not being OCD. That is a major cosmetic flaw, and thanks to ironic manifestation, it very visibly casts a poor light on the quality of the whole brand.

"Trade Dress" is an important part of modern business; just ask Apple or any auto manufacturer. If you don't return one as egregiously effed-up as this one, they'll think they can get away with that shitty level of QC. The company should bend over backwards to make you happy so you're not posting this shit on Reddit.  :palm:

If it were me, I'd hope for a sizable refund... but odds are they'll just make you return it and foist it off on someone else over and over until they it winds up in the possession of someone who can't be arsed to send it back.

mnem
Not only is the customer the beta tester, but now first-level QC as well... ::)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 04:49:13 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Andy Watson, Brumby, Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139, tonyalbus, xmas111

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80917 on: January 28, 2021, 04:40:26 pm »
Completely agree with that.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80918 on: January 28, 2021, 04:49:29 pm »
Maybe Saskia will eventually get it from the TE Mafia for 80 quid. LOL... :-DD

mnem
 :-/O

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #80919 on: January 28, 2021, 05:05:39 pm »
Maybe test equipment will become cheaper in the UK?

The next but one Ramco Auction (9th Feb) states "(DELIVERY ONLY due to COVID-19) DELIVERY ONLY TO UK RESIDENTS - ANY EXPORT APPLICATIONS WILL BE SUBJECT TO A £120 CHARGE"
https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/timed/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10269

So, bad luck for ice-tea?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80920 on: January 28, 2021, 05:06:43 pm »
Maybe Saskia will eventually get it from the TE Mafia for 80 quid. LOL... :-DD

mnem
 :-/O
Oh, wait... you're in the US and you hang out here; you probably got it from TE Depot. If so you're in good hands; they'll make it right, no matter what the MFR chooses to do. :-+

mnem
 :-DMM

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80921 on: January 28, 2021, 05:16:56 pm »

The next but one Ramco Auction (9th Feb) states "(DELIVERY ONLY due to COVID-19) DELIVERY ONLY TO UK RESIDENTS - ANY EXPORT APPLICATIONS WILL BE SUBJECT TO A £120 CHARGE"
https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/timed/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10269

We can but hope.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80922 on: January 28, 2021, 05:30:33 pm »

McBryce.

Could have been a Monday morning one after a hard weekend of drinking, too...

-Pat

That's what I would have thought too. In the car industry we talk about "Monday cars", the ones where the earth studs and other important fasteners haven't been tightened up properly.

McBryce.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #80923 on: January 28, 2021, 05:42:01 pm »
"Friday Ford" is a well known term over here to describe badly/hastily assembled things.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #80924 on: January 28, 2021, 06:06:08 pm »

We can but hope.

Oh, be nice!

Seriously, though. I could probably eat 120£. And as I've mentioned before: if you guys have your eyes on something, PM me. I'd be happy to back of. Or, perhaps more practical, I'll back off up to the point were you'd let go yourself.

In addition, if one of the forum members is interested in an item I'd be happy to bid on their behalf so you can "ride" my logistics.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf