Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17514770 times)

Vince, Ice-Tea, themadhippy, factory and 62 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #80225 on: January 21, 2021, 08:21:26 am »
bought today a Tektronix AFG 1022 in very good shape.
It has one flaw, though: does not power up but I hope, I can fix this easily.

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, capt bullshot, bd139, beanflying, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80226 on: January 21, 2021, 08:25:01 am »
Interesting. Fingers crossed for you.

Most interesting one I had like that was the fuse holder was slightly unscrewed  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80227 on: January 21, 2021, 08:31:04 am »
bought today a Tektronix AFG 1022 in very good shape.
It has one flaw, though: does not power up but I hope, I can fix this easily.

Oh, that looks really good. Nearly as new.   :-+
I press you my thumbs. (Lübke..) :-DD)

Show pics..!   :horse:   :-DD
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 01:36:07 pm by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #80228 on: January 21, 2021, 08:33:10 am »
I've (almost) always had to work hard for anything. Our pension plan is a joke, after 45 years I'll be lucky if I get 20% of my gross. It seems to me that our state run pension scheme is the master ponzi blueprint after which all the others were modelled.

After paying 14 years of German Taxes also for my pension plan, I am trying to figure out what does it means to leave the German/EU system. I sent an email 5 days ago to the german office responsible for that. No answer yet, my spider senses are telling me it will be a mess.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #80229 on: January 21, 2021, 08:47:12 am »
I've (almost) always had to work hard for anything. Our pension plan is a joke, after 45 years I'll be lucky if I get 20% of my gross. It seems to me that our state run pension scheme is the master ponzi blueprint after which all the others were modelled.

After paying 14 years of German Taxes also for my pension plan, I am trying to figure out what does it means to leave the German/EU system. I sent an email 5 days ago to the german office responsible for that. No answer yet, my spider senses are telling me it will be a mess.

You can bet your ass on that. My advice: get some good advice!
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80230 on: January 21, 2021, 08:52:55 am »
Volume Testing equipment  :-+ Busted my last 'borrowed' Pint Glass from the local Pub and had to actually go buy some replacement ones. GOt to a warmish 30C outside and the Beer was an appropriate 3.5C ;D

Local commercial kitchen supplier I have dealt with for over 5 years dropping them A LOT of $ wanted to sell me a box lot of 72 Commercial Pint Glasses now an EX Customer  |O Braved Bogan Central the local Kmart and dropped $12/6

That KilKenny looks inviting and not normally a beer drinker. I'll have to see if I can find it here and hopefully it won't be "Americanized"
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80231 on: January 21, 2021, 08:55:10 am »

Yeah. But be careful to find out what “good” is first.

Watch out for advisers. Some of them are on commission to sell you a product not on merit. Despite our reputation here for having somewhat low compliance status here, we had a process called Retail Distribution Review which killed off that model entirely and forced specific charging models on the bastards. Other countries are not so well equipped.

As for pensions, it’s a mess. Diversify is the best advice and if your adviser doesn’t tell you to do that then run away. Don’t throw everything into a pension. Bonds, stocks, pension, ISA, assets.

Key objective is not to make money but stop losing it faster than tax and inflation eats it. I’ve made a better return this year on test gear than investments  :-DD

Anyway fintech hat off now.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80232 on: January 21, 2021, 08:56:12 am »
Quick article on “art” for all the folk who received damaged and broken stuff over the years:

https://kottke.org/21/01/fedex-shipping-damage-creates-fractured-artworks
Thats a novel idea.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80233 on: January 21, 2021, 08:57:59 am »
What's worse, the pension is taxable, plus I have to pay about 1000/month health insurance. Which is about 40% of the pension.

And don't get me started on family. I filed a petition for "divorce from parents" which was denied. Fortunately they apparently honor that restraining order and get nowhere near me.

It's none of my business and I won't ask but having a restraining order against your parents sounds absolutely bizarre.  :o

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80234 on: January 21, 2021, 09:02:23 am »

Problem is, how do you know if the advice is/was good or not?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #80235 on: January 21, 2021, 09:03:17 am »
Volume Testing equipment  :-+ Busted my last 'borrowed' Pint Glass from the local Pub and had to actually go buy some replacement ones. GOt to a warmish 30C outside and the Beer was an appropriate 3.5C ;D

Local commercial kitchen supplier I have dealt with for over 5 years dropping them A LOT of $ wanted to sell me a box lot of 72 Commercial Pint Glasses now an EX Customer  |O Braved Bogan Central the local Kmart and dropped $12/6

That KilKenny looks inviting and not normally a beer drinker. I'll have to see if I can find it here and hopefully it won't be "Americanized"

IceCream Smooth and a nice change and still brewed in Ireland. The locally brewed Guinness is however RUBBISH compared to the real deal. Retested and the Volume in the Source and the Receiver remained constant until Human Imbibement generated losses requiring a third .......
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #80236 on: January 21, 2021, 09:16:58 am »

Problem is, how do you know if the advice is/was good or not?

That's exactly the point. The devil lies always in the details.
If I'd going to do something like Zucca is doing now, I'd ask my friend which is a very good tax advisor (Steuerberater).
He has also some international clients.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80237 on: January 21, 2021, 09:39:21 am »

IceCream Smooth and a nice change and still brewed in Ireland. The locally brewed Guinness is however RUBBISH compared to the real deal. Retested and the Volume in the Source and the Receiver remained constant until Human Imbibement generated losses requiring a third .......

Luckily Guinness here is the real deal.  :-+

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #80238 on: January 21, 2021, 09:54:53 am »
What's worse, the pension is taxable, plus I have to pay about 1000/month health insurance. Which is about 40% of the pension.

And don't get me started on family. I filed a petition for "divorce from parents" which was denied. Fortunately they apparently honor that restraining order and get nowhere near me.

It's none of my business and I won't ask but having a restraining order against your parents sounds absolutely bizarre.  :o

it has to do with years of abuse that I had to endure.

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #80239 on: January 21, 2021, 10:06:06 am »
If I'd going to do something like Zucca is doing now, I'd ask my friend which is a very good tax advisor (Steuerberater).

I have incomes that will keep me floating during the retirement until I die.
My point is not to leave money or not get money from Germany that I can/could access in my paid german retirement plant. And I did not have a choice here, I had to pay for that.

Steuerberater was/is already on the list, not sure if it will help anyway. For sure I will give her a call.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80240 on: January 21, 2021, 10:11:56 am »
Bit of a rough head but it needs a new home @med  >:D eBay auction: #265011656740

Low range decade box from a college and seller who does not know what it is? Big risk of cooked resistors 

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80241 on: January 21, 2021, 10:23:26 am »

Luckily Guinness here is the real deal.  :-+

Guinness is only the "real deal" in Dublin and certain parts of Ireland, not even in all of Ireland. The Guinness in the U.S. is very close, especially compared to the rubbish they call Guinness in Germany, but still not the real deal.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #80242 on: January 21, 2021, 10:34:03 am »
Bit of a rough head but it needs a new home @med  >:D eBay auction: #265011656740

Low range decade box from a college and seller who does not know what it is? Big risk of cooked resistors

Yep, had the same thoughts but if I can get it for the $10 starting bid it's a risk I'm willing to take. 

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #80243 on: January 21, 2021, 10:53:05 am »
The will most likely be wire wound for low Ohm ranges. Either that or use the likely high grade Silver switchgear and roll your own box with modern Resistors.

Worst case is add a Nixie tube and flip it as Steampunk  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #80244 on: January 21, 2021, 11:19:19 am »
Do we have here fans of frequency counters with dotted LED displays?  >:D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402653938052

NAWTS as usual

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, nixiefreqq

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #80245 on: January 21, 2021, 11:29:40 am »
There may be an objective basis there. Older appliances and other household goods were better made, had much longer design lives and were made to be repairable. They also cost significantly more as a proportion of disposable household income. My mother sold her house about 10 years ago and moved into sheltered accommodation as she was losing her sight from macular degeneration. When she did so, she was still using the same cooker, washing machine, fridge, vacuum cleaner, freezer and central heating boiler that had been purchased in the late 60s or early 70s. They were all perfectly serviceable and in everyday use. Starting in the late 1980s when I had my own permanent place for the first time I've been through several of each of those appliances - 3 boilers, three vacuum cleaners, four fridge freezers, two washing machines and so on.

The same thing applies to furniture, mum went through one sofa in that 40-50 years (bought second hand, no less), I'm on my third since 1987 and it badly needs replacing.

Older stuff was made to last, modern stuff is "value engineered" for relatively short replacement cycles.

Yes and no: you can bias things in your favour by looking for reliable brands.

Car: 2004, serviced once every 5 years (I do oil changes)
Fridge: 1989
Freezer: 2002, second hand
Dishwasher: 1990
Washing machine: 2002??
Vacuum cleaner: on my second since 88
Boiler: one replacement since 88
Cooker: same as 88.
Microwave: just bought my second.

I use Which? as a source of reliable brands, and repair myself when necessary. Sugru prolongs dishwasher disholders :) No, I don't buy expensive stuff :)

Sorry; The difference is right in what you're saying there. It wasn't unusual for a car or any major appliance to last 30 years and more back then, and they were designed with repair in mind, and you could still get parts for that 30-something-year-old whatever without having to go to a specialty parts shop.

Your 30-year-old dishwasher is an aberration, not the norm. Any refrigeration item with sealed system is good for 30 years barring acidic intervention; they invented that stuff back then, and they designed it too well; now they have to find other ways (mostly cheap, brittle plastic interiors) to force turnover.

The big difference is the design scope has been changed from decades to "slightly less than it takes to pay them off" and the ones that last longer are the oddballs; usually owned by folks who take special care of them.

There were many many badly designed and manufactured items back then. That was a prime motivation behind the founding of the Consumers Association (?USA Consumer Reports?) who publish "Which?".

The point is to try to buy reliable brands which aren't excessively expensive.

Naturally "expensive" does not imply "reliable".
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:28:07 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #80246 on: January 21, 2021, 12:19:20 pm »

NAWTS as usual

ooooh, Watkins-Johnson, the NSA house brand... Interesting based on the manufacturer alone. I'd really like to lay my grubby hands on one of their VLF-HF receivers. Either that or the SRT CR91.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80247 on: January 21, 2021, 12:24:33 pm »

NAWTS as usual

Thats actually a frequency readout / control unit for "spy" intercept receiver. Should go for a lot if the WJ fanboys spot it.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80248 on: January 21, 2021, 01:34:42 pm »

I think the definition of "responsible adult" is when you own pint glasses that you actually bought from somewhere rather than a mismatched collection of ones you obtained by discovering that you had a new one when you woke up in the morning.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #80249 on: January 21, 2021, 01:43:58 pm »

NAWTS as usual

ooooh, Watkins-Johnson, the NSA house brand... Interesting based on the manufacturer alone. I'd really like to lay my grubby hands on one of their VLF-HF receivers. Either that or the SRT CR91.

You mean, something like this one?  >:D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133643963414

You are welcome.  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf