Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17531360 times)

bbqws60 and 94 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #79775 on: January 15, 2021, 08:39:40 pm »
Q: What goes; "Pieces of seven, pieces of seven"?

A: A parroty error

(I'm bored)

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #79776 on: January 15, 2021, 08:40:47 pm »
*groooooooan*

mnem
*soggy ol' boot outbound*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79777 on: January 15, 2021, 08:42:16 pm »
On the topic of TEA, here is the best I can do so far this year:     

:-DD

Typical.

mnem
Actual delivery: 2nd Tuesday next week.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #79778 on: January 15, 2021, 08:47:57 pm »
Long story short: Some of my requirements were poorly met by HP equipment, the Sales Engineer -without hesitation- admitted so and recommended some competitors models to look at for those requirements. Some of my requirements were no problem, and the Sales Engineer fixed up a deal for me to purchase an ex-demo logic analyser (forget the exact model now) complete with 80286 and 80386 emulator modules. Something like a £10k value deal sorted out and agreed in an hour because the Sales Engineer's attitude gave me the confidence to believe his assessment that the LA would meet my needs - it did - and the confidence that I'd be treated decently if there were any problems.

That sounds like absolutely standard HP practice before Princess Fiorina arrived.

When setting up a new HP site, the employees were constantly bombarded with "Bill and Dave" stories indicating the corporate culture that Hewlett and Packard wanted. Your anecdote could be one of those stories.

My first professional contact with HP[1] involved them digging us out of a hole when a plotter failed just before an exhibition. It influenced me when I joined HP in 1987.

[1] other than a very professional jon interview as an undergraduate; In only turned down the job offer because of a mere 17 days annual holiday :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #79779 on: January 15, 2021, 09:46:27 pm »
What part numbers were the 5W and 10W of the same size? I've never seen that.
The Ohmite 805 is 5W and similar to the 10W Welwyn WH5 but the WH5 is actually 1.1mm longer in the body than the 805 despite having the same mounting centres.

The Welwyn WH5's seem to be the outliers in size; the other 10 watters are TE CGS HSA5's, Arcol HS10, and some RS branded ones that I can't seem to find now.

Even so, they are only a millimetre or so longer than the other 10W jobbies, which are the same size as the 5W Ohmite 805F's and Yageo AHA500's.

Another interesting observation I made was two of the 25W had a (relatively) unusual 2 ohm value that was spot on with the Fluke 87V despite being 10% tolerance rated, so I warmed up the LCR819, and measured them at 1.9957 and 1.9952 ohms. That's somewhat better than 10%...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79780 on: January 15, 2021, 10:26:37 pm »
Other difference may be the thermal resistance (internal dimensions and filler paste properties) of different makes.
The 2 ohms ones, being non preferred values, were probably a short production run with more care taken. Additionally there are no 5% or 2% versions to cherry pick from the production batch.
I've heard of an exercise where a batch of 1k 10% carbon composition resistors were given to students to measure the values and plot the result. The theory is the values plot a normal distribution. In practice there wee two edges of the bell curve with a 5% gap in the middle. All the ones close to 1k had been selected out and sold as higher precsion parts. Not so likely with modern componens though.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79781 on: January 15, 2021, 10:32:42 pm »
I think I might shove some power through them and see how much they heat up, say a watt or so. That ought to be enough for a comparison.

The date code on those Arcol 2 ohm resistors is 91-21.
The range of dates is quite wide, from early 80s to late 20-teens.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #79782 on: January 15, 2021, 10:33:57 pm »
Other difference may be the thermal resistance (internal dimensions and filler paste properties) of different makes.
The 2 ohms ones, being non preferred values, were probably a short production run with more care taken. Additionally there are no 5% or 2% versions to cherry pick from the production batch.
I've heard of an exercise where a batch of 1k 10% carbon composition resistors were given to students to measure the values and plot the result. The theory is the values plot a normal distribution. In practice there wee two edges of the bell curve with a 5% gap in the middle. All the ones close to 1k had been selected out and sold as higher precsion parts. Not so likely with modern componens though.

I've heard that, too - 20% parts could mostly be expected to fall in the -20~-10% and +10~+20% ranges, the ten percenters would be -10~-5 and +5~+10, and the 5s would be +/-5%.  Makes perfect sense from a production standpoint when binning parts.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79783 on: January 15, 2021, 10:35:58 pm »
@Cerebus just got a phone call from someone who wanted to buy a PC. I told him that I am selling off my surplus PC test/eval equipment and that my stuff has been slightly used. Then I asked him what he wanted it for to assess if the stuff I had was suitable and sufficient for his requirements.

He said that part was a completely new experience for him.

90% of customers have an XY problem. They ring up saying "I want to buy X" when what they should say is "I am trying to do Y" or at least  "I am trying to do Y and your X looks like it's suitable". It never hurts to break the script and ask them what they intend to use "X" for. To be fair, so many front line sales staff are so crappy nowadays due to lack of training that the customers can be forgiven for having trained themselves to skip that step.
!000% this all day long. I was always under the impression that for the first few minutes the salesmen should be fairly quiet and let the customer reveal what he is looking for and then the salesperson can add extra bits to the discussion and try to sell a solution to the customers needs, rather than what you want to sell to them. A happy customer will come back again and again if they feel that the salesperson listened to them and tried to resolve the issues, but a person who feels pressurised will vote with their feet and tell their friends to do the same.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79784 on: January 15, 2021, 10:47:09 pm »
don't wait too long, if more of that breaks, the membrane will suffer.

There is also a high risk of the voice coil moving off-centre and fouling magnets and then possibly damaging the coil itself.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79785 on: January 15, 2021, 10:49:08 pm »
This keeps getting relisted cheaper, I imagine it's of limited use without the leads/pods though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dolch-Logic-Instruments-PALAS-40C50-Logic-Analyzer/373427965467

£35 shipping probably isn't helping either.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79786 on: January 15, 2021, 10:57:31 pm »
This keeps getting relisted cheaper, I imagine it's of limited use without the leads/pods though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dolch-Logic-Instruments-PALAS-40C50-Logic-Analyzer/373427965467

Yep, you are correct, there is also a TTi Logic Analyzer that someone keeps listing but without and leads and I suspect that leads would be costly if you can find any.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79787 on: January 15, 2021, 11:20:42 pm »
@med6753
The Pioneer I'm guessing is itself pretty old now? I'm pretty sure that the more modern AV receivers / amps are intelligent enough to understand what type of signal it is processing, especially that has a built-in THX decoder processor so that if you are playing a CD or listening to radio then it switches into the normal 2 channel stereo mode on the front speakers only. Give a DVD film signal and will switch itself into video mode rather than surround sound which is what you get with older systems and the real budget ones. These decent systems tend to fall into one of 2 camps, either 5.1 or 7.1 systems, that relates (5.1) front left & right, rear left & right, subwoofer and centre speaker for locating above or below the TV screen and way you get the full sound stage imagery. The 7.1 systems are the same but with a mid-position left and right speakers so that you position your seats, right in the middle, so you can then totally immerse yourself in the sound stage, and it would then sound just as it would if you were there in real life, in the action.

I don't know for sure, but I get the impression that what you want from your current setup is for the CD and radio to come only from the front speakers, but DVD sound from all 5, and to get there from the Pioneer is a lot of fiddling with the controls each time, is that correct?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79788 on: January 15, 2021, 11:26:37 pm »
No, I think all med wants it to do is play music effing loud enuf to occasionally annoy the neighbors. I was the one who raised the point aboot a DTS/THX decoder, and then the whole gang sortof jumped on the bandwagon. :o

sorry, med:-[

mnem
 :blah:

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #79789 on: January 15, 2021, 11:40:07 pm »

32 channel, 25MHz => i wouldn't bother with it.

You can probably make leads, but halfway decent grabbers will cost >£1.50 each
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79790 on: January 15, 2021, 11:46:05 pm »
No, I think all med wants it to do is play music effing loud enuf to occasionally annoy the neighbors. I was the one who raised the point aboot a DTS/THX decoder, and then the whole gang sortof jumped on the bandwagon. :o

mnem

Nailed it.  :-+ ;D No 5.1. No 7.1. Just 2 channel LOUD.  >:D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79791 on: January 15, 2021, 11:46:18 pm »
32 channel, 25MHz => i wouldn't bother with it.

You can probably make leads, but halfway decent grabbers will cost >£1.50 each

Haha I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, I was just being nosy. If it needs pods like the TTi LA's do, you'll need more than some ribbon cable and a few grabbers.

I have a TTi TA320S and the pods are pretty much unobtainium at reasonable prices.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #79792 on: January 16, 2021, 12:01:30 am »

(I'm bored)

*whisper*

Pst!

Could this please somebody explain it to a stupid and confused German TEA fellow?
I'm asking for a friend ...

;)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79793 on: January 16, 2021, 12:04:05 am »

mnem

Nailed it.  :-+ ;D No 5.1. No 7.1. Just 2 channel LOUD.  >:D
In that case then, why bother with the right-hand side of the drawing? If the Sansui is not loud enough, grab an amp/receiver that has the power you need, upgrade the speakers if they can't handle the power, job done. Most amps will accept 2 CD inputs; CD1, CD2, Tuner, AV or AUX, Tape1, Tape2 and even today Phono, give you 2 sets of speakers A/B switched between A or B and A+B so if you wanted the other set of speakers in another room for example, thats easy to do. That should give you everything that you require with less space and fewer complications and less chance of a hum loop being introduced.

Or is there something else that I'm missing here?
Who let Murphy in?

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79794 on: January 16, 2021, 12:04:23 am »
Ok some rough and dirty results on the 5W vs 10W in-the-same-size-aluminium-metal-clad-resistor.

Sheesh! Superhyphenationhopemycalibrationsnotatrocious!

Ta=~22oC
tend=180s
P=0.5W

Ohmite 805F series, 5W 250 ohm. Ttend=34.8oC

Welwyn WH5 series, 10W 33 ohm. Ttend=32.6oC

Arcol HS10 series, 10W 0.22 ohm. Ttend=32.5oC

Now, it should be noted that (a) the timing is +/- to the tune of a few, no more than 5, seconds, and (b) more importantly, due to the voltage drop in the power leads I had to adjust the voltage on the fly. This was of course slower to compensate the higher the current, so the 10W package results are likely skewed low.

It does look like there's a marginal difference between the 5W and 10W, I remain unconvinced that it amounts to a 5W difference in PD though.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79795 on: January 16, 2021, 12:05:11 am »

(I'm bored)

*whisper*

Pst!

Could this please somebody explain it to a stupid and confused German TEA fellow?

;)
A likely story  >:D :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79796 on: January 16, 2021, 12:06:04 am »

(I'm bored)

*whisper*

Pst!

;)

"Pieces of eight" is the traditional cry of Captain Flint, the shoulder parrot of Long John Silver.

If there are only 7 pieces, presumably the parity bit has been dropped...

EDIT: From the book Treasure Island
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:08:28 am by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79797 on: January 16, 2021, 12:08:25 am »

(I'm bored)

*whisper*

Pst!

;)

To work it out, you need to know:

Pieces of eighthttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_dollar

Parroting - (present participle) repeat mechanically.  "encouraging students to parrot back information" 
synonyms: repeat mindlessly · repeat · repeat mechanically · echo · say again

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79798 on: January 16, 2021, 12:12:00 am »
This remains the best shoulder parrot ever:

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79799 on: January 16, 2021, 01:47:29 am »

(I'm bored)

*whisper*

Pst!

;)

"Pieces of eight" is the traditional cry of Captain Flint, the shoulder parrot of Long John Silver.

If there are only 7 pieces, presumably the parity bit has been dropped...

EDIT: From the book Treasure Island

And for a 'meta' version of that, we have Reacher Gilt in Pratchett's Ankh-Morpork whose parrot constantly screeches "12 1/2 percent".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf