Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16919480 times)

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
free range primate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #79252 on: January 09, 2021, 11:42:57 pm »
I cant help it but commercial audio stuff always looks like gook inside, especially when compared to T&M stuff from a good company. The only exception is Revox, but that is long ago. Dangling parts on the PCB, rats nest wiring all over the place, brown cardboard PCBs ... Yuck.
Where are the good old days ... :)

No, consumer audio gear looks like shit inside; the professional stuff was/is mostly well built (prosumer, not so much). You can't get away with the appalling mess shown above if you try and stick it in flight case or an OB truck and take it on the road - MTTF would be one gig/broadcast.

My only real professional (as in getting paid for it) experience in designing and building electronics was in professional audio gear and you just can't afford to make the stuff anything other than tough. Having stuff break down in that world is expensive, you end up burning artistes time and studio time  - you can have dozens of people standing around on the clock while something gets replaced/fixed.

Worse still of course is stuff that packs up on-air/in the middle of a show. I've had the latter happen to me once (with Lenny Henry on stage acting like a petulant child, not like an entertainment professional) and I didn't want to repeat the experience. (The cause was an IEC mains cable that pulled out - very next day everything got fitted with cable retaining clips.)

Some domestic audio equipment was built with quality - QUAD. I remember hearing tales of how Pink Floyd would go on tour with a whole bunch of - I think - 303 power amplifiers which would come back scraped and dented but still working. They used to send them back for a total refurb after each tour. Hammer out the dents and resprayed and all and good as new. I don't know what they used them for, a bit low powered for main PA even then. Before my time. That would be about Ummagumma, when I was still at school.

Stage monitoring probably. We used to use them in the studio for driving near field monitors.

QUAD weren't what I'd call consumer electronics - QUAD's lifetime output of everything rolled together was probably less units than Sony, or Technics, or whoever, made of a single model of one of their consumer amplifiers. A QUAD 303 cost £55 when they were introduced in 1967 (The average UK wage for tax year 64-65 was  £15.60 a week before tax. So that quad represents 3 1/2 weeks average gross earnings).
Concur fully with you here "C", Quad have always been held up as far as I'm aware to bit above the rest and the price reflected that. Other brands that also had a similar stance I think were Armstrong and Leak and for record decks the Garrard 401 was the deck of choice for the BBC, I'm not sure what they used as tone arms and cartridges.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #79254 on: January 09, 2021, 11:48:31 pm »
Anyone have any advice on search filters to find the AVX caps I want for the 7904 project on digi-key? I'm mired down in non stock and milspec parts that cost way too much.

Why are you beating your head against the wall insisting on sticking with AVX only? Kemet's will work just fine.

And I suspect you may be having trouble finding 100uF tants in stock or at a reasonable price. Been there. Ref this pix. See those doubled up yellow tants on the right? Perfect substitute for the rare 100uF......2 - 47uF in parallel.

Dude, I'm just trying to see what's out there. Haven't bought anything yet.   :P

I have no issues putting two smaller ones in parallel if needed...I'm just trying to figure out which ones to get from either brand right now.

Oh. Nevermind.  :P :-DD

It looks like digikey doesn't even have Kemet radial tantalums in stock anyway. Where'd you get yours from for your 7904?

Mouser. And yes, as you go up in value the prices go nuts as well as availability.

Mouser only has 20V 47 uF [edit: in radial] it seems...would prefer to go with 50V...back to diggin'...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 11:56:57 pm by 0culus »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79256 on: January 09, 2021, 11:50:43 pm »

this reminded me of a TE delivery about 2 years ago.  mixed in with the crumpled newspaper was an assortment of hard candy mints.  (a lot of them!)

wtf?  still not sure if it was deliberate or the result of some kind of accidental spillage.
There was a time when some Chinese companies would throw in the odd pack of sweets as well, not quite sure why they did it. I haven't noticed it happening lately though.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 12:39:14 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #79259 on: January 10, 2021, 12:35:23 am »
mnem's 3DP Corner: Bench Stand for FLUKE 189 & 87/IV DMM

This is what I've been doodling around with the last couple days... a properly rigid bench-use stand for my Fluke 189 that incorporates a lead holder. This unit snaps in place of the molded rubber test-lead keeper usually found on the back of these meters; it does not interfere with the original flip-out stand in any way. The idea was to have all my most-used accessories and the leads all tidy and right there when I need them.

The oversized back disc serves a purpose; it makes it easy to loop the wires over the groove one-handed and the optional wire across the middle allows similar one-handed clipping of favorite alligator leads up to 24" long as well as IC grabbit flyleads. Reliefs in the stand serve to keep loose alligator wires from causing trouble, and magnets in the pockets keep the screw-on alligators in place.

Complete details & STLs over in the Got 3DP thread.

mnem
 :-DMM
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 09:20:58 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79260 on: January 10, 2021, 12:47:12 am »
Anyone have any advice on search filters to find the AVX caps I want for the 7904 project on digi-key? I'm mired down in non stock and milspec parts that cost way too much.

Why are you beating your head against the wall insisting on sticking with AVX only? Kemet's will work just fine.

And I suspect you may be having trouble finding 100uF tants in stock or at a reasonable price. Been there. Ref this pix. See those doubled up yellow tants on the right? Perfect substitute for the rare 100uF......2 - 47uF in parallel.

Dude, I'm just trying to see what's out there. Haven't bought anything yet.   :P

I have no issues putting two smaller ones in parallel if needed...I'm just trying to figure out which ones to get from either brand right now.

It looks like digikey doesn't even have Kemet radial tantalums in stock anyway. Where'd you get yours from for your 7904?

Mouser. And yes, as you go up in value the prices go nuts as well as availability.

Mouser only has 20V 47 uF [edit: in radial] it seems...would prefer to go with 50V...back to diggin'...

They have AVX radial 47uF/35V @$4.98 ea. Scroll down past the expensive ones. It's there. But only about 40 in stock so order quick.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #79261 on: January 10, 2021, 12:54:42 am »

They have AVX radial 47uF/35V @$4.98 ea. Scroll down past the expensive ones. It's there. But only about 40 in stock so order quick.

Good eye...thanks. Ordered, enough to double up for the 100 uF ones too.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #79262 on: January 10, 2021, 02:17:47 am »
Anyone chasing one of these for their collection? eBay auction: #284142607015

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79263 on: January 10, 2021, 02:26:27 am »
[Sings] "There's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvish..."

I used to have a "ratbag mate" who could prove it-----nice bloke, too, (so I'm sure he would forgive being called a "ratbag".).
It said "Lee Elvish" on his driver's licence.
Last time I saw him, he owned a used car yard, & was probably a lot more well off than me.
I'm pretty sure he didn't know dark magic, though.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79264 on: January 10, 2021, 09:06:28 am »
Interesting box can function as a 1Ghz SA if my quick look at the specs is correct. Lucky I am broke and 350km away  :-DD eBay auction: #293829127030

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #79265 on: January 10, 2021, 10:00:37 am »
Not on my radar.  However, as a result of the failed attempt at the 1900A, that "acquisition" taste bud has been stimulated - and after this mornings first foray onto Discord, I now have some items in a cart.   :palm:

Both Mnem and Bean have a hand in that.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79266 on: January 10, 2021, 10:05:47 am »
We work hard at promoting your potential acquisitions but we leave the trigger pulling to you  >:D

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #79267 on: January 10, 2021, 10:31:15 am »
Interesting box can function as a 1Ghz SA if my quick look at the specs is correct. Lucky I am broke and 350km away  :-DD eBay auction: #293829127030

If I read the manual Intro, the 3ST is the transmitter part and needs the receiver the 3SR to form the spectral analysis from 5 to 1000MHz, best system resolution they quote is 10kHz if I have read it correctly. 🤔
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79268 on: January 10, 2021, 10:47:31 am »

If I read the manual Intro, the 3ST is the transmitter part and needs the receiver the 3SR to form the spectral analysis from 5 to 1000MHz, best system resolution they quote is 10kHz if I have read it correctly. 🤔

These units are for Cable TV systems.  Yes the have a usable 1GHz SA. Main function is level measurement and a sort of 2 box scalar network analyser. Unit shown is the head end. What you really want is the handheld unit SDA5000 is best, SAM4040D Stealth is OK. There are various firmware upgrades available. I have one and it's pretty good as a portable EMI system. The level meausement is accurate but for 50R you need a transformer or minimum loss pad.
Prices in UK are a lot cheaper then in North America.

Another unit with similar capabilities but strange display is the HP CALAN 2010 but make sure it has ingress.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 10:55:59 am by Robert763 »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79269 on: January 10, 2021, 03:19:10 pm »

this reminded me of a TE delivery about 2 years ago.  mixed in with the crumpled newspaper was an assortment of hard candy mints.  (a lot of them!)

wtf?  still not sure if it was deliberate or the result of some kind of accidental spillage.
After reception of such packages, I'm always VERY sensitive to any unexpected sound. Don't want someone dumping his critters on me, whether on purpose or by accident!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79270 on: January 10, 2021, 03:31:26 pm »
Over on the Old Tek scope Facebook page someone is asking for advice on restoring this beauty.  :o

I've seen basket cases before but that one is beyond help. And I told him that. If it were mine it would just go on the parts pile. 

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79271 on: January 10, 2021, 03:43:57 pm »
@med6753. I bet that person is a newbie in the hobby, I'm also willing to bet that he paid a reasonable price for this heap of rubbish. I think your assessment of it is bang on the money.

It looks like it has been near some excessive moisture as well as it being extremely munted with many controls and BNC sockets bent and broken, I probably wouldn't think it was worthy of consideration for restoration.   :--
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79272 on: January 10, 2021, 03:46:30 pm »
I would not even put that on the parts pile. Looks like a source of contamination including mould. I once saw  whole storage unit full of kit ruined by one mouldy item.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79273 on: January 10, 2021, 03:51:02 pm »
LMAO I've had some crusty ones but that takes the piss.

Example reasonable one i.e. intact

Before, with "garage grade corrosion on it"

After clean up:

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79274 on: January 10, 2021, 03:55:00 pm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf