Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16928980 times)

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #79150 on: January 08, 2021, 10:01:49 pm »
British TV advertising can still turn up something that's surprisingly tasteful, subtle and can even be genuinely entertaining. Vis, one that that's been actively liked in this household recently:

Please laugh with me.  It took me a rather long moment to realize AA was actually Automobile Association.  For the first bit, I was trying to make the link between getting on the road and Alcoholics Anonymous  :-DD  :o :o

Over here the associations tack on an extra letter, such as Canadian CAA or American AAA...

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #79151 on: January 08, 2021, 10:05:19 pm »
Holy crow!  The TinySA and NanoVNA are on the move!  December to now to go from Brampton to Mississauga.  It's a start but I'm glad they're on the move.  If they get here early next week, I'll unbox everything together and maybe shoot a video.

Wow!  You could probably walk that distance in 7 hours.  7 weeks is a bit much.

I would share your suspicion that there was no stock in Brampton, and were waiting for it to come from somewhere else.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79152 on: January 08, 2021, 10:36:57 pm »
Please laugh with me.  It took me a rather long moment to realize AA was actually Automobile Association.  For the first bit, I was trying to make the link between getting on the road and Alcoholics Anonymous  :-DD  :o :o

Over here the associations tack on an extra letter, such as Canadian CAA or American AAA...

Hey, they seem to be advocating letting Rover get behind the wheel, so...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79153 on: January 08, 2021, 10:37:36 pm »
Holy crow!  The TinySA and NanoVNA are on the move!  December to now to go from Brampton to Mississauga.  It's a start but I'm glad they're on the move.  If they get here early next week, I'll unbox everything together and maybe shoot a video.

Wow!  You could probably walk that distance in 7 hours.  7 weeks is a bit much.

I would share your suspicion that there was no stock in Brampton, and were waiting for it to come from somewhere else.

I think they got caught out for that.  They racked up a negative feedback from another unhappy buyer over excessive shipping time sometime in the last couple of days between when I checked the status last and now, so I think they’re over promising and under delivering (literally!) with the promise of local inventory.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #79154 on: January 08, 2021, 11:07:50 pm »
Yeah, but if they were waiting for it to come from elsewhere... the logical place would be Asia. If so, howinnahell did the vendor get it at all, when they are turning all mail deliveries away at the border right now...?  :wtf:

I have OTC medication from Amazon US and we have important business mails that were mailed Express; both have been in limbo for over a month.  ::)

mnem
|O

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79155 on: January 08, 2021, 11:16:10 pm »
Flipped one of my audio streamers (the one for external DAC) for reasonable money.

Also ordered a Scopetrex PCB kit to play Vectrex games on analog oscilloscopes (to have another compelling reason to get an analog scope ...)

in the German section of the bay, there is a Tek 2465A (NAWTS):   
https://www.ebay.de/itm/1-St-Tektronix-2465A-350MHz-Oscilloscope-4-Kanale-gebr-g-Zust-R-2-/133631481520

>:D

mnem

https://www.google.com/search?-b-d&q=enabler

There is also a 2445B offered by the same seller:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/1-St-Tektronix-2445B-200MHz-Oscilloscope-4-Kanale-gebr-g-Zust-R-2-/402638274932

Greetings,

If anyone is considering these 2 go with the 2465A. Stay away from the 2445B even though it's cheaper. Why? Well other than the greater B/W of the 2465A (350MHz) vs the 2445B (200MHz) there are design issues.

The 2465A will have it's cal data in a memory chip employing an external battery which is easy to change out with an external power source attached during the removal/install process. My 2430 has the same arrangement and I've done the battery change successfully. The 2445B will have a Dallas chip with an internal battery which is a real PITA to deal with and finding a replacement Dallas chip or an equivalent is a nightmare.

The 2465A will have a pin-thru-hole A5 processor board which has NO tants on it. The 2445B will have an SMT A5 processor board full of leak prone tants which will ruin the board. Stay away if it hasn't already been re-capped.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 11:26:26 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139, AVGresponding, Saskia

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #79156 on: January 08, 2021, 11:35:21 pm »
I know that Neomys Sapiens has a Tec 460 or 465 waiting for me to pick it up.

I am still tempted, but horribly out of space.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79157 on: January 08, 2021, 11:53:58 pm »
If anyone is considering these 2 go with the 2465A. Stay away from the 2445B even though it's cheaper. Why? Well other than the greater B/W of the 2465A (350MHz) vs the 2445B (200MHz) there are design issues.

The 2465A will have it's cal data in a memory chip employing an external battery which is easy to change out with an external power source attached during the removal/install process. My 2430 has the same arrangement and I've done the battery change successfully. The 2445B will have a Dallas chip with an internal battery which is a real PITA to deal with and finding a replacement Dallas chip or an equivalent is a nightmare.

The 2465A will have a pin-thru-hole A5 processor board which has NO tants on it. The 2445B will have an SMT A5 processor board full of leak prone tants which will ruin the board. Stay away if it hasn't already been re-capped.

This is probably the best advice on the Internet these days. So much less hassle. Why I jumped on that 2445A a while back too  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #79158 on: January 09, 2021, 12:07:21 am »
Stumbled over this, a HP 5005B signature multimeter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154276310308

That's a nice one.

But what is a signature multimeter doing/good for?  :-//
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #79159 on: January 09, 2021, 12:16:09 am »
HP in the 1980s and microprocessors were 1st introduced, brought in a problem tracing solution that involves putting the device into signature mode. Various test points would produce a known digital signal or signature, which when analysed by a 'signature analyzer' and compared against known good or fault codes in the manual would 'simplify' problem solving!
If you are fault tracing one of these vintage TEs they can be helpful - I am not sure how much a modern Salea type device can take it's place.
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79160 on: January 09, 2021, 12:50:03 am »

This is probably the best advice on the Internet these days. So much less hassle. Why I jumped on that 2445A a while back too  :-DD

Or hold out for an older 2465/2445 (No suffix). No cal battery at all. Non-volatile EAROM stores the cal data. But supposedly the EAROM has a finite access life cycle which is probably why my 2465DMS takes checksum errors on boot up in the option board EAROM. Luckily you can bypass and boot successfully and everything appears OK but I suspect the ACV accuracy on the DMM is FUBAR.   

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79161 on: January 09, 2021, 01:13:31 am »

Which is what I suspect may have happened with my ex-NASA 2465. Pic is from just before we left Tejas. If I'm lucky, it's just getting its brain scrambled during POST by a few bad caps in the PSU, but it would be like the dozenth 2465 I've recapped, and never saw THAT before.  :-//

mnem
 :-BROKE
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 01:16:20 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #79162 on: January 09, 2021, 01:22:09 am »
That is looking pretty ugly!  :o
Hope, you can fix this one day. I assume, currently it is locked away in this storage of yours?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79163 on: January 09, 2021, 02:07:28 am »
Stumbled over this, a HP 5005B signature multimeter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154276310308

That's a nice one.

..but 200€ starting bid is a bit over the top..!
Despite the fact that it was meant as a versatile service tool incorporating signature analysis and DMM, one would rarely need it today/could barely use it today.

For signature analysis you need the "good" reference signatures, mentioned in the service manual. Try to get matching FW and service manual these days..   :palm:   :-DD

I have a 5006A signature analyser and its fascinating to see it work. An yes, it works. And yes, I have HP TE that has a signature mode for debugging.

But out of the TE I've repaired I didn't have the luck to have the right signatures to the revision of the individual TE...   |O
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #79164 on: January 09, 2021, 02:55:29 am »
In spite of some far less than stellar packaging the Fluke arrived unharmed  :palm: I was dreading mega crustiness but it seems to have never had batteries fitted  :-+

Now for the bad bit seems to be stuck regardless of press buttons reading 1999 with the decimal point changing with the range selected. To tired to read the manual tonight if anyone knows of a likely cause feel free  :)

Other than that fairly clean and tidy on the outside.

Ugh that may be toast. This is a well known symptom of the analogue IC being bust. The 5V rail runs comedically high voltage as it's actually unregulated and was made in days when the mains voltage was a lot lower so it can burn out the unobtainium ASICs. Check the power supply voltages first on mains power. Watch out because live mains runs the entire board so be damn careful. Then check the clock is running at C14. Should be a 220nF film cap which controls the integrator time constant. if the voltages are ok then clean the switches and check all the tants for shorts if they bothered to fit them in yours.

Really not a fan of the 8000A if I'm honest. It's either that or the display board burns up  >:(

So a quick test of the rails shows them being pulled low at around +-12V (should be 15) and the 5V rail is 3.3 so Cap/Tant testing/replacement seems to be a reasonable start point. Switches seem to be clean and switching correctly (thanks @med  :) ).

I have way less than zero need for it regardless but I didn't have one  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79165 on: January 09, 2021, 03:20:59 am »

Which is what I suspect may have happened with my ex-NASA 2465. Pic is from just before we left Tejas. If I'm lucky, it's just getting its brain scrambled during POST by a few bad caps in the PSU, but it would be like the dozenth 2465 I've recapped, and never saw THAT before.  :-//

mnem
 :-BROKE

Well, if you ever do get it out of storage and determine the processor itself is hosed and it's not PSU related I do have a spare A5 board out of a 2465DMS which I think is good. (I can check it in one of my 2465's).

You can have it for cost of customs bullshit and shipping if it comes to that.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79166 on: January 09, 2021, 03:30:23 am »
In spite of some far less than stellar packaging the Fluke arrived unharmed  :palm: I was dreading mega crustiness but it seems to have never had batteries fitted  :-+

Now for the bad bit seems to be stuck regardless of press buttons reading 1999 with the decimal point changing with the range selected. To tired to read the manual tonight if anyone knows of a likely cause feel free  :)

Ugh that may be toast. This is a well known symptom of the analogue IC being bust. The 5V rail runs comedically high voltage as it's actually unregulated and was made in days when the mains voltage was a lot lower so it can burn out the unobtainium ASICs. Check the power supply voltages first on mains power. Watch out because live mains runs the entire board so be damn careful. Then check the clock is running at C14. Should be a 220nF film cap which controls the integrator time constant. if the voltages are ok then clean the switches and check all the tants for shorts if they bothered to fit them in yours.

Really not a fan of the 8000A if I'm honest. It's either that or the display board burns up  >:(

So a quick test of the rails shows them being pulled low at around +-12V (should be 15) and the 5V rail is 3.3 so Cap/Tant testing/replacement seems to be a reasonable start point. Switches seem to be clean and switching correctly (thanks @med  :) ).

I'm not surprised. I've had several Flukes of same vintage (8600A, 8800A) with shorted electrolytics in the PSU. I did re-cap my 8000A even though PSU was OK. But the 8000A does drift quite a bit because of PSU design. So once you get yours sorted out if you want my PSU modification let me know.   

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79167 on: January 09, 2021, 03:35:06 am »

I'm not surprised. I've had several Flukes of same vintage (8600A, 8800A) with shorted electrolytics in the PSU. I did re-cap my 8000A even though PSU was OK. But the 8000A does drift quite a bit because of PSU design. So once you get yours sorted out if you want my PSU modification let me know.

I am seriously considering putting Batteries in it as I have 4 spare D Cells. This maybe should sort out some of the drift issues? Quick look at the circuit of the power supply is it is maybe a bit too simple for its own good.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79168 on: January 09, 2021, 03:43:24 am »

I am seriously considering putting Batteries in it as I have 4 spare D Cells. This maybe should sort out some of the drift issues? Quick look at the circuit of the power supply is it is maybe a bit too simple for its own good.

Correct. The crux of the problem is the +5V rail is unregulated. But in order to utilize something like a 7805 to get a stable +5V you have to install another small transformer because the original doesn't have the voltage headroom to allow the 7805 to regulate. I suppose you could design a fancy boost circuit to use the original transformer but I decided on adding another. It's tight but there was room.

I also modified the +/- 15V circuits to use 7815 and 7915 regulators and got rid of the zener/pass transistors. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 03:46:53 am by med6753 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79169 on: January 09, 2021, 04:00:38 am »

Guess you can't cut it much closer than that! :-DD

mnem
I really need to run out and get a Lotto ticket right now...

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79170 on: January 09, 2021, 04:20:27 am »
Time to add some burley to the waters and bait a Ganged Hook in Brumby's Backyard  :-DD eBay auction: #265006750399 Of course you NEED another Scope .....

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #79171 on: January 09, 2021, 04:37:58 am »

Or hold out for an older 2465/2445 (No suffix). No cal battery at all. Non-volatile EAROM stores the cal data. But supposedly the EAROM has a finite access life cycle which is probably why my 2465DMS takes checksum errors on boot up in the option board EAROM. Luckily you can bypass and boot successfully and everything appears OK but I suspect the ACV accuracy on the DMM is FUBAR.

Personally, I'm over my 2465B. It's just not that great of an analog 'scope compared to predecessors. And all those repairability issues. I'd far rather have 7854. Those are at least mostly repairable and offer a lot of neat functionality (way more than the clunky measurements in the 2400 series)

In other news, I received a 7904 service manual. This should make my troubleshooting easier since it has the pull out schematics.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #79172 on: January 09, 2021, 04:55:11 am »

Correct. The crux of the problem is the +5V rail is unregulated. But in order to utilize something like a 7805 to get a stable +5V you have to install another small transformer because the original doesn't have the voltage headroom to allow the 7805 to regulate. I suppose you could design a fancy boost circuit to use the original transformer but I decided on adding another. It's tight but there was room.

I also modified the +/- 15V circuits to use 7815 and 7915 regulators and got rid of the zener/pass transistors.
Would an option be to replace the bridge with Shockley's to gain a bit more voltage headroom for a Vreg ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79173 on: January 09, 2021, 05:14:06 am »
snippity

Would an option be to replace the bridge with Shockley's to gain a bit more voltage headroom for a Vreg ?

Maybe and I have a stash of them here to play with. I don't have any Tants and I am fairly sure I would need a -15V reg (might have a variable one) so likely I will work out a pack of bits and order them and a few experimental bits as well.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79174 on: January 09, 2021, 09:00:15 am »
snippity

Maybe and I have a stash of them here to play with. I don't have any Tants and I am fairly sure I would need a -15V reg (might have a variable one) so likely I will work out a pack of bits and order them and a few experimental bits as well.

Here's the documented modification utilizing a 2nd transformer. The 7815/7915 do not require heat sinking as the current is low. The 7805 does have a small heat sink. The mains fuse will have to be upgraded because the load from the additional transformer will cause it to blow. This mod has been in place for almost 3 years and it works great.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf