Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17689245 times)

Vince and 45 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #79000 on: January 07, 2021, 01:23:51 am »
I can't add anything to the current subject but I can say it's nice to see the Boss in here.  :-+

Hello Dave!  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: NCG, Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #79001 on: January 07, 2021, 01:28:18 am »
You should check out the Mastech MS8911 (Tweezer LCR meter).
If Dave is to do a bulk buy and get us substantial savings why not get something really good:
https://www.lcrresearch.com/
https://www.smarttweezers.com/

From my point of view those are just overpriced. The bang for the buck is hard to beat on the Mastech one.

This is like comparing Uni-T against a quality bench meter. Both might do some of the same things but they are nothing really alike. If you want to 'sell' quantity then cheap and cheerful and 'some' of the same functionality has a place but if you want to pitch to a higher price point obviously you will sell less.

I don't know, Lcr research and smart tweezers are definitely not Keysight. On the other hand, I never owned any of their products, so I can't comment on the quality side of things.

It's really hard to generalize like that. Even Uni-T have some good product (1 or 2 at least  :)).

As do I have a Uni-T meter and a few other roughies. It is not a generalization the Mastech unit is simply nothing like the other two in functionality.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79002 on: January 07, 2021, 01:31:38 am »
You should check out the Mastech MS8911 (Tweezer LCR meter).
If Dave is to do a bulk buy and get us substantial savings why not get something really good:
https://www.lcrresearch.com/

From my point of view those are just overpriced. The bang for the buck is hard to beat on the Mastech one.

This is like comparing Uni-T against a quality bench meter. Both might do some of the same things but they are nothing really alike. If you want to 'sell' quantity then cheap and cheerful and 'some' of the same functionality has a place but if you want to pitch to a higher price point obviously you will sell less.

I don't know, Lcr research and smart tweezers are definitely not Keysight. On the other hand, I never owned any of their products, so I can't comment on the quality side of things.

It's really hard to generalize like that. Even Uni-T have some good product (1 or 2 at least  :)).

As do I have a Uni-T meter and a few other roughies. It is not a generalization the Mastech unit is simply nothing like the other two in functionality.

other than having a 100kHz test mode and maybe some other unusual parameters I don't really see the difference.

Edit: look like they goes to 1V when the MS8911 is limited to 0.1 and 0.5V
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 01:34:01 am by Kosmic »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #79003 on: January 07, 2021, 01:44:21 am »

Even if I've got the 428b I still want a UT-210E! So, there.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #79004 on: January 07, 2021, 01:50:46 am »

Scroll to the foot of this page and then tell me some brands of smart tweezers don't scream quality:

:popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79005 on: January 07, 2021, 03:34:49 am »
Searching for a specific post on this forum is not exactly fun.

If I'm searching something in the EEVBlog forum, I'm using google with this parameter at the end of the search string:

Code: [Select]
site:eevblog.com/forum/

Example:

parallel MOSFET "linear mode" site:eevblog.com/forum/

It is actually built into the forum in the form of a Mod I suggested Dave add some time ago. Use the top right search box and pulldown and select Google  :)

That said sometimes Google does fail in particular searching the TEA thread and it's 3k pages  :-DD

I would just consider it ingenious if an equivalent to 'This topic' were available when calling up your own (or someone else's) posts.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79006 on: January 07, 2021, 03:43:36 am »
The MOD is actually fairly simple code to mod for increased functionality. Last time I used it on another forum I did customise it to give a bot more functionality. Like all things though if you tweak it now YOU/ADMIN then need to keep it tweaked for all future upgrades to the base forum if needed. The issue with embedded image tags currently is almost certainly caused by that sort of issue and was broken du to an 'upgrade' or clashing mod.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #79007 on: January 07, 2021, 04:47:32 am »

Scroll to the foot of this page and then tell me some brands of smart tweezers don't scream quality:

Yeah, sure... when you're spending other people's money (and when a company is THAT  big, that's exactly what it is) you buy only the best. The rest of us buy for bang/buck.

Short version: I've owned all 3. The MS8910 is a fucking toy; not even as useful as the cheap Chinese component testers. The MS8911 delivers on everything the 8910 promises but can't deliver, and 95% of what the SmarTweezer does for 1/4 - 1/10 the price, depending on exact options.

The MS8911 seriously is a no-brainer; crazy great bang/buck. If I break or lose this one, I will get another, even if I have the money to buy another SmarTweezer at the time.

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #79008 on: January 07, 2021, 04:51:08 am »
Searching for a specific post on this forum is not exactly fun.

If I'm searching something in the EEVBlog forum, I'm using google with this parameter at the end of the search string:

site:eevblog.com/forum/

Example:

parallel MOSFET "linear mode" site:eevblog.com/forum/

It is actually built into the forum in the form of a Mod I suggested Dave add some time ago. Use the top right search box and pulldown and select Google  :)

That said sometimes Google does fail in particular searching the TEA thread and it's 3k pages  :-DD

I would just consider it ingenious if an equivalent to 'This topic' were available when calling up your own (or someone else's) posts.

mnem site:https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/

This search will find you everything I've posted in here. Pack a lunch; you'll be a while.  :-DD

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 05:03:46 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Neomys Sapiens, cyclin_al

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #79009 on: January 07, 2021, 06:32:11 am »
Ugh bread making machines. I've a failed loaf here that someone made nearly 30 years ago with one of them as a reminder never to use them. I'll post a picture when I get a few minutes. Like my old Fiat, "nothing but aggro". Baking sheet or a can and the oven - job done!
The only problems as I see it with bread makers is that A. They are not generally large enough loaves for a whole family. B. The loaves do not turn out of the tins cleanly or easily and this is largely down to the mixing paddles being trapped in the bottom of the loaf and also because the dough gets under the paddle and also creeps down the shaft and then the paddle becomes wedged and holds the loaf in the tin.

This element that pops the RCD, has now been plugged in to a variac and has been brought up to the maximum of the variac of 2A which it achieves at 165V (earth disconnected) and the leakage is such that even after 45 mins sitting at 165V and getting very toasty, I can measure a voltage of 87V between the metal work of the element and earth so its no wonder it trips the RCD, so it will be going down the dump when the lockdown is lifted  :palm:

I never seen a whole house RCD except when I watched the British sparkies on Utube. I assume they are available here and I don't know if the latest code requires them. What is required is GFI protection of all kitchen, bathroom, and garage outlets. That can be accomplished 2 ways. Method one is a combo breaker/GFI for the branch circuits requiring them. But these combo breakers are expensive. Cheaper method is a GFI outlet first on the branch circuit and all other outlets on that branch are protected.

Most kitchen appliances here that have a heater, like toasters, coffee makers, counter ovens, etc are 2 wire polarized with no ground. In your situation above I don't think the GFI would have tripped because the metal cabinet would be floating. But as soon as someone touched the cabinet and formed an alternate path the GFI would have tripped. That sucks and I don't understand why those appliances here aren't grounded. Microwave ovens are.         

Here, in the QC part of Canada at least, new construction must use the combo breaker/GFCI on all circuits requiring them.  Modifications/renovations/repairs can use the GFCI outlets in most cases.  Anything involving a pool or spa must be upgraded to a combo breaker/GFCI if the electrical is worked on.
However, I hate both of those options and dread the thought of a whole house RCD.

I take a more expensive option by installing a GFCI on the first outlet of the branch as normal, then tap the unprotected side to run to the second outlet where I use another GFCI outlet.  This is especially useful for branch circuits for things like the car block heaters.  If a GFCI trips, then one car is cold, but the rest of the fleet may not be cold.  In the normal arrangement, the whole fleet would be left cold.  I would hate to see a whole house GFCI trip in winter with resultant frozen water pipes (out typical home heating is also electric).

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #79010 on: January 07, 2021, 06:33:47 am »
Also, DAMN YOU! Now you've got me thinking aboot making some fresh baguette... :-DD

I think it's an acknowledged part of my rôle here to make people hungry, particularly you and BD.

"Sausages"

Darn, darn, darn!!!!  I just got back from skiing and now am really really hungry.  Time to fire up the BBQ at 1am?  :scared:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #79011 on: January 07, 2021, 07:01:04 am »

Yeah, sure... when you're spending other people's money (and when a company is THAT  big, that's exactly what it is) you buy only the best. The rest of us buy for bang/buck.

Short version: I've owned all 3. The MS8910 is a fucking toy; not even as useful as the cheap Chinese component testers. The MS8911 delivers on everything the 8910 promises but can't deliver, and 95% of what the SmarTweezer does for 1/4 - 1/10 the price, depending on exact options.

The MS8911 seriously is a no-brainer; crazy great bang/buck. If I break or lose this one, I will get another, even if I have the money to buy another SmarTweezer at the time.

mnem
 :-/O
Yeah well put yourself in Daves shoes where after his escapade with the 121GW he don't really need another 2nd class product further damaging his brand.
If anyone can buy the Mastech for chump change what's the benefit of him offering it for less when instead he could offer a top class product if he has the balls to buy enough of them and offer them at a price that we couldn't access anywhere else.
When running a business there is no profit in selling already cheap products.............
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #79012 on: January 07, 2021, 07:04:58 am »
And on topic ....
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/ottawa/vintage-electronics-test-equipment/1544575790

What do you think of this lot?  Many of the items I am not familiar with.
The HP 5233L is definitely interesting to me.
A Stark LSG-IOA is interesting if just for the reference to Iron Man ...  :-DD
A Tek 475A could be an interesting, but not needed, addition.
A variac may or may not be something of interest in future.

For sure, I do not have a good idea of what a reasonable offer is for the whole lot.
The seller has been asked about what is known about the items and if they are known to be working or not.
I could do the local pickup.  Are mnem or 25_CPS or any other canucks interesting in sharing some of the lot?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #79013 on: January 07, 2021, 07:50:09 am »
And on topic ....
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/ottawa/vintage-electronics-test-equipment/1544575790

What do you think of this lot?  Many of the items I am not familiar with.
The HP 5233L is definitely interesting to me.
A Stark LSG-IOA is interesting if just for the reference to Iron Man ...  :-DD
A Tek 475A could be an interesting, but not needed, addition.
A variac may or may not be something of interest in future.

For sure, I do not have a good idea of what a reasonable offer is for the whole lot.
The seller has been asked about what is known about the items and if they are known to be working or not.
I could do the local pickup.  Are mnem or 25_CPS or any other canucks interesting in sharing some of the lot?

FWIW - the HP 3450 is a nice and somewhat rare (but rather beastly and complicated) nixie meter.  I got one at a surplus place for about $80; on the 'bay I've seen them go for well over $150 in who knows what condition.

The Heathkit scope looks like the predecessor of the one I built just before freshman year of HS back in 1979 (mine is an IO-4541).  Big, bulky DC-5MHz single channel.  Probably not worth much at all; the mueseum is hard pressed to sell similar ones for $10-20 at swap meets.  It appears to have an HP 5326 or 27C nixie counter atop it in the main composite picture.  This is the single channel 'economy' model; the 'B' versions (2 channel with DVM) are shown in the pic below.  Still a nice nixie box.  Think I paid about $70/ea for those on the bay.

I apparently haven't taken any pics of the 5233L, but it too is a nice old glowie orange digited box.  Think I got mine at a surplus place for about $40-50.  Not sure about the other stuff.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, bd139, factory, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #79014 on: January 07, 2021, 07:51:10 am »
I just priced the smd tweezers, the MS8911 lands in Aus for $65, and the SmartTweezer st5s for ~$250. They are two different tools.   I have been lucky enough to have st5s for some years now - I have been very happy with it, esp how it doesn't seem to drain the battery sitting there, but it takes a while to fully charge. Never had a ms8911.
The age old dilemma. Quality vs bang/buck.
I really think it comes down to how much you will use it. (or are a fanatical TEA😂 - moi?)
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #79015 on: January 07, 2021, 07:59:23 am »
Also, DAMN YOU! Now you've got me thinking aboot making some fresh baguette... :-DD

I think it's an acknowledged part of my rôle here to make people hungry, particularly you and BD.

"Sausages"

Darn, darn, darn!!!!  I just got back from skiing and now am really really hungry.  Time to fire up the BBQ at 1am?  :scared:

There are a lot much dumber things one can do at this time ...
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #79016 on: January 07, 2021, 08:08:46 am »
 :palm:  :palm:  :palm:

Now I've bought one of these bloody Mastech MS8911 on ebay.de for 39.26 EUR incl. shipping ...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/283341251476

Funny thing! When I bought it, ebay said that 70 items have been sold, this is the last one.
Now it is saying 71 sold only one available. WTF?   :wtf:
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #79017 on: January 07, 2021, 08:18:48 am »
Funny thing! When I bought it, ebay said that 70 items have been sold, this is the last one.

Wanna bet if you buy another one, it'll say 72 sold and 1 left?  It's a good way to make someone buy something more impulsively than they otherwise would - holy crap, they sold seventy and this is the last one!  I'd better grab it before they're sold out!!  Marketing wank.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79018 on: January 07, 2021, 08:21:16 am »
Time to go fishing, bait the hook with Fluke and Cast it casually in @Brumby's backyard  >:D eBay auction: #274634228659 I spent this weeks pocket money already  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: med6753, wolfy007, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #79019 on: January 07, 2021, 08:28:32 am »

Wanna bet if you buy another one, it'll say 72 sold and 1 left?  It's a good way to make someone buy something more impulsively than they otherwise would - holy crap, they sold seventy and this is the last one!  I'd better grab it before they're sold out!!  Marketing wank.

-Pat

it does now ...

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #79020 on: January 07, 2021, 08:47:56 am »

-Pat

it does now ...

:-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #79021 on: January 07, 2021, 09:21:56 am »
re Washington DC

This was plain stupid. An absolute 100% way to completely negate any legitimacy to the voter fraud claim.

The way of the narcicist.
 :palm:

The Dems are more subtle in such things. (and I also think that there was voter fraud, however any claim just went up in riots).

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79022 on: January 07, 2021, 09:24:29 am »

-Pat

it does now ...

And 73  :)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #79023 on: January 07, 2021, 09:28:41 am »

-Pat

it does now ...

And 73  :)

Oh dear, what have I done?   :-DD

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #79024 on: January 07, 2021, 10:20:40 am »
Oh dear, what have I done?   :-DD

You have enabled. I don't think that is out of style here, to be honest.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf