Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18116934 times)

Eric-H and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #78550 on: January 01, 2021, 11:01:49 pm »
It appears you have 2 dipshits in that little video.

Dipshit #1 is the van driver making a rushed right hand turn against traffic without taking into account all forms of traffic coming at him. Cyclist, pedestrian, etc. (Same deal as a left hand turn against traffic here)

Dipshit #2 is cyclist riding a vintage bike with no brakes in heavy traffic and going at an unreasonably high speed. And then it appears he turns LEFT INTO the van rather than right to avoid it.  :palm:   

Classic case of when dipshits collide.  ::) :D

Erm, hardly. I calculate his speed as 13.7 mph (1.3m wheel, 20 frames/rev @30 fps), not exactly excessive. Let's be clear, riding a Penny-Farthing on the street is asking to crash, but you can't legitimately accuse him of going at "an unreasonably high speed". Still, I can see how that might seem fast to a CR-V owner.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78551 on: January 01, 2021, 11:09:35 pm »
hang on a second.   gotta' go make some popcorn.
free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78552 on: January 01, 2021, 11:25:01 pm »
I think I'd better grab some too, this could get nasty... I always thought of CR-V's as pretty fast but very thirsty for an SUV type of vehicle, especially in the London area anyway  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #78553 on: January 01, 2021, 11:28:57 pm »
I still run cabled Ethernet  :popcorn:

Resident iPhone and iPad users can sit closer to the bloody router or suck it up  :-DD

Yeah I should do that but I'm too lazy to fish the cables in the wall.

Mine are run across the floor  :-DD
My cables are run across in the loft and drop where required.

My problem is not lazy.  There is a vaulted ceiling between my office and the other side of the house.  My old fat @ss won't fit in the crawl space and I am not paying someone to do it.  I also have a Netgear 16 port Gigabit switch that has plenty of ports left for doing the master bedroom, living room and guest bedroom but I need someone small and thin enough with enough brains to follow instructions who will work for food and drink.  If I can also get power into the coat closet near the front door, I could move my router there with a UPS and wouldn't need any kind of range extenders.  WIFI works good enough for me and my office is completely wired so no hurry to fix.  Mrs. GreyWoolfe hasn't complained about the signal in the master bath where she likes to enjoy the soaker tub and the Spectrum mobile app.  When she complains, I will fix it.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78554 on: January 01, 2021, 11:42:45 pm »
Nailed it. The location is known for mega hipster quantities on stupid bikes.
Worple Road area by any chance  :-//

Nah that’s MAMIL territory (Middle Aged Man In Lycra). Stoke Newington/ Hackney.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78555 on: January 02, 2021, 12:10:36 am »

Dipshit #1 is the van driver making a rushed right hand turn against traffic without taking into account all forms of traffic coming at him. Cyclist, pedestrian, etc. (Same deal as a left hand turn against traffic here)

Dipshit #2 is cyclist riding a vintage bike with no brakes in heavy traffic and going at an unreasonably high speed. And then it appears he turns LEFT INTO the van rather than right to avoid it.  :palm:   

Erm, hardly. I calculate his speed as 13.7 mph (1.3m wheel, 20 frames/rev @30 fps), not exactly excessive. Let's be clear, riding a Penny-Farthing on the street is asking to crash, but you can't legitimately accuse him of going at "an unreasonably high speed". Still, I can see how that might seem fast to a CR-V owner.

You funny boy.  :P

13.7 MPH on a "Penny-Farthing" bike or whatever it's called is too freaking fast if you have no brakes.  :palm:

Slow CR-V? Not hardly. While I have slowed down over the years nearly all my tickets over the past 50 years of driving have been for speeding. New York State has a top speed of 65 MPH on interstate highways but I'm usually doing 75-80 MPH. Typically the Troopers won't bother you as long as you don't exceed 80 MPH or be an obvious stand out to the flow of traffic. My worst ticket was years ago of 82 MPH (was doing over 90 MPH when I saw him) in a 55 MPH and that cost me big bucks and 6 points on my license. And going back many, many years ago my CB handle was "Leadfoot".

So hold the popcorn...not necessary.  :-DD   

« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 12:12:56 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #78556 on: January 02, 2021, 12:11:59 am »
My problem is not lazy.  There is a vaulted ceiling between my office and the other side of the house.  My old fat @ss won't fit in the crawl space and I am not paying someone to do it.  I also have a Netgear 16 port Gigabit switch that has plenty of ports left for doing the master bedroom, living room and guest bedroom but I need someone small and thin enough with enough brains to follow instructions who will work for food and drink.  If I can also get power into the coat closet near the front door, I could move my router there with a UPS and wouldn't need any kind of range extenders.  WIFI works good enough for me and my office is completely wired so no hurry to fix.  Mrs. GreyWoolfe hasn't complained about the signal in the master bath where she likes to enjoy the soaker tub and the Spectrum mobile app.  When she complains, I will fix it.
Sounds like a job for your children, grandchildren or assorted neighbourhood children.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78557 on: January 02, 2021, 12:20:04 am »
I think I'd better grab some too, this could get nasty... I always thought of CR-V's as pretty fast but very thirsty for an SUV type of vehicle, especially in the London area anyway  >:D

0-60 time of 8.7 seconds, I call that pedestrian.  >:D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78558 on: January 02, 2021, 12:25:08 am »
Sounds like a job for your children, grandchildren or assorted neighbourhood children.

I was going to suggest that he consulted the "Motivation Techniques" chapter in "Innovative Uses for Child Labour Vol II" by C.A. Vanaheim.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram, bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #78559 on: January 02, 2021, 12:26:38 am »

Not in London I admit, but I know 14yo people that become alert if they aren't at 60 after 5s. That's not pedestrian, but avian :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #78560 on: January 02, 2021, 02:10:03 am »
You mean geriatric?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #78561 on: January 02, 2021, 02:15:52 am »
I was going to suggest that he consulted the "Motivation Techniques" chapter in "Innovative Uses for Child Labour Vol II" by C.A. Vanaheim.
Illicit or inappropriate goods are deemed effective. Also see the next chapter, "Tactics and strategies for the bamboozlement of parents".

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #78562 on: January 02, 2021, 03:55:29 am »
Looks like snow in Milan area kills dogs and gives nasty electric shocks to people

Frozen ice conducts electricity out of the streets power grid mahhole

So far 5 dogs down and some others dogs/people injured.
I love my country so much, we are so special!

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #78563 on: January 02, 2021, 04:27:44 am »
Contains some TEA content and some hope for those of us who have never really grown up  :-+

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: exor, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #78564 on: January 02, 2021, 04:37:01 am »

You've spent entirely too much time looking at an Aruba control panel on your admin console.  :-DD

And so have I; Can see what you're talking aboot in my head... But as you say; definitely overkill for a home deployment that is gonna have like a dozen users. :P

mnem

I've never touched Aruba. My system is Cisco vWLC 8.5 on VMWare, with 2702 LWAPP access points.

My condolences.  ;)   Same misery, different icing.  :-DD

mnem
 :-/O

« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 04:48:19 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #78565 on: January 02, 2021, 04:48:05 am »

It is quite arguable that any speed on a Penny-farthing is too fast; also they are a public safety hazard, for just such reasons as this video demonstrates. No less reckless than kids riding go-karts in the street. :-//

mnem
OTOH, the same can be said of allowing me to drive anything. ::)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #78566 on: January 02, 2021, 06:09:02 am »
Sort of. More rounds of arguing and dick swinging left. This will go on for a decade.

Everyone concentrating on “sovrinty” and “fish” but as indicated they mostly don’t understand the concept of sovereignty, hell they can’t even spell it, and won’t eat fish unless it’s battered. And only eat them with the most English side they can muster, which is actually Belgian.
Haha, I'm waiting for the time when the truth hits them that for the time being at least there will fewer fights into EU airspace by UK airlines, which will impact on holidaymakers, the need to have a green card for car insurance. Less ability to advantage of snap bargains of holidays because of the need for the extras to be arranged in time, the end of the free use of credit cards outside the UK and also of course the re-introduction of roaming charges on their mobile phone and Internet access outside the UK. No longer being able to the faster EU check ins at ports and airports etc to kick in. and all the other surprises that are going to be discovered.

It's all a bunch of c**p. While CE will be acepted for a while, if selling in UK and Europe from 2022 you will have to comply with two sets f regulations (CE & UKCA) and while the laws are free you will have to buy two lots of normalised standards, and if required two sets of notified body assesments. Now maybe some of these will be combined, but they will still cost more. So much for less bureaucracy.
Aviation is even worse. We are going back to a national system and have to set up arrangements with the other authorities, This covers everthing from aircraft design approval, pilot and engineer licencing, maintenence approvals the lot. The CAA was drastically downsized when we joined EASA and now have to pick up all the extra work. As of 23:00 yesterday UK licenced engineers could no longer certify maintenence on EU registered aircraft. If it wasn't for Covid 19 limiting travel it would be an even bigger mess.

It is not just with EASA, but with any other aviation authority with flights going in or out of the UK.  Most trans-atlantic flights to north america go through Heathrow.
One of my colleagues was at a big meeting about how to deal with the UK on December 9th.  I have not heard yet what was presented...
It is going to have some impact on us here too.  Everything going to/coming from the UK will need an extra approval from the CAA.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #78567 on: January 02, 2021, 06:20:35 am »

I think you'll find that range extenders are half duplex at best, I tried one to boost the signal to my doorbell video camera, sited it just 1 metre away, linked to an access point just 6 metres away, total waste of time. Replaced it with a power link adaptor next to the main router, Ethernet lead to the adaptor and plugged in power link access point 1 metre away from camera, perfect max signal strength, no more problems.

Range extenders are shit. The only reliable way to build a wifi that can stand modern clients and their appetite for parallel video stream downloads is to put cabled access points everywhere there's people, and then move everything that really needs to work off the wireless. If it is bolted to or hung on the wall, it bloody well can have a cable run to it.

Yes indeed. I've removed the TP range extender. he Archer C7 seems to cover th house pretty well even though it's not in an ideal location. SWMBO wants a good connection but not a WAP on the wall  ::)
RF coverage generally is poor in the house, foil lined plasterboard  doesn't help.

Yup. My AX10/AX1500 gets great coverage... all over the back patio and halfway to the street on the other side. All through cement-backed drywall and brick outer walls.

Range extenders are more a people-tester device than anything useful...  :o

mnem

I am not quite sure that AX1500 quite follows the standards...  I have one as well and had to cut the power level down to half.  Once I cut back on the power setting, then Logitech wireless HIDs located far away started working again.

I agree on the Range Extenders.  A major PITA to get setup properly and then have to setup all over again after any power outage.  Since it is winter, I can shut the thing off for a few months.  It does not really help, since it is just trading network admin for cabin fever (confined in a small space with the same people with no escape).

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #78568 on: January 02, 2021, 06:50:54 am »

While the cyclist did not do the correct thing, it looks like psychologically he did the typical human behaviour.  That typical behaviour was to focus all his attention on the thing that posed danger/risk to him (and that is fine for a situation where there is time to think and analyze before acting).  Unfortunately, that took his focus away from finding his way to get around or avoid the danger.  Anyone who is a sports coach sees this sort of thing all the time.  It does not matter if it is running, cycling or driving a race car.  I can no longer count the number of times I have said "Look where you WANT to go!  Don't look at the rock/hole/whatever."  In moving activities, a person generally controls themselves to go where they are looking.  So, looking at the obstacle means the person goes to the obstacle and .... crashes.  If the person looks where they want to go, they will generally end up going ... where they want to go.  In this case, the cyclist should have looked in the direction of his original route, which was momentarily obscured by the van.  Maybe the cyclist would have needed a slight adjustment right to avoid the tail end of the van, but it looks like it would have only needed a minor adjustment.  Generally, only a little bit of coaching is needed to make an effective change.

-- You've told me that X times already.  You don't need to tell me.  Stop it. -- SWMBO
X is a number that I do not remember and is higher than I can count.
X is greater than the sum of the times I have told my son and athletes combined.
... checking that SWMBO is nowhere nearby

EDIT (no, not because SWMBO saw this  :-DD)
You funny boy.  :P

13.7 MPH on a "Penny-Farthing" bike or whatever it's called is too freaking fast if you have no brakes.  :palm:
The Penny-Farthing does have braking capability as it is "direct drive".  Reverse force (not necessarily reverse movement) in pedalling will induce braking.  However, the bike design is poor as the braking performance is limited.  The braking force needed in most typical situations is in the range where the contraption is no longer considered a bicycle but a catapult.  The first bicycle design with both wheels the same size was known as the "safety bicycle".  This cyclist held on to the handlebars all the way to the ground; he and the bike both stopped (face plant?).  Having not ridden on of these, I am not sure if that is a sign of experience or not (I am not questioning it is a sign of foolishness).  The catapult option would also have to hurt a lot, but would also involve a runaway bike.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 07:07:31 am by cyclin_al »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #78569 on: January 02, 2021, 07:18:58 am »
Happy New Year ! It should have arrived everywhere now ...

Now here's something for our Audio fans Down Under. This is easily one of the best pre amps that Sony has ever built. With one of the best phono stages you can get for reasonable money.
If this was located anywhere near and was 220/240 volts, I would have hit buy it now ...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Vintage-Sony-Pre-ESPRIT-TA-E88-preamplifier/274628115131
Sorry to enable TEA, it is a '100V unit' - in the description 😂
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #78570 on: January 02, 2021, 08:07:39 am »

I've never touched Aruba. My system is Cisco vWLC 8.5 on VMWare, with 2702 LWAPP access points.

My condolences.  ;)   Same misery, different icing.  :-DD

Oh, indeed. Every L2 technology is going to suck. Its suckyness, further, is inversely proportional to the perceived mean competence level of the envisioned user. Therefore, now near-extinct L2 systems like SDH (what those who achieve 56kbit in a 64kbit frame slot call Sonet) who never were supposed to be touched by mortals have an abundancy of useful status report bits and diagnostics and if your head is bell-shaped enough, can tell you exactly what's going on. This process in Ethernet is 130% based on guesswork and rumours, with baling wire and surplus gaffers tape holding the chewing-gum repairs together.. And, since its bastard child 802.11 (i.e WiFi (tm)) was supposed to be some Ethernet-compatible toy for line-of-sight comms in offices, it's inherited all the suck and invented its own to ice the cake.

I was supposed to be dealing with routing protocols, not this.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #78571 on: January 02, 2021, 10:53:18 am »

Now here's something for our Audio fans Down Under. This is easily one of the best pre amps that Sony has ever built. With one of the best phono stages you can get for reasonable money.
If this was located anywhere near and was 220/240 volts, I would have hit buy it now ...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Vintage-Sony-Pre-ESPRIT-TA-E88-preamplifier/274628115131

yarp, and located in down under. Japanese units generally are 100V 50/60 Hz. As I said: if this had been anywhere near me I would have punched the famous buy it now button.
And invested in the step down.
I have 2 of the slightly smaller units (TA-E 86) which are a little bit less overengineered, but still to notch.

Which reminds me:
for our German (or European viewers): on of the 86 plus a Burmester 846 would be up for grabs in exchange for a reasonable amount of mullah (or Öcken (tm))

Need to make room, I am currently looking at

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/-wohnen-im-gruenen-schoenes-reetgedecktes-bauernhaus-mit-wirtschaftsdiele-in-huntorf-elsfleth/1526009778-208-2738

Pros:
enough space, 380V available for an Okuma, and forklift accessible ...
cons:
plenty. biggest issue:
it's in Germany ...
Electricity may be an issue.
needs new heating
is in the middle of nowhere

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78572 on: January 02, 2021, 11:04:14 am »

yarp, and located in down under. Japanese units generally are 100V 50/60 Hz. As I said: if this had been anywhere near me I would have punched the famous buy it now button.
And invested in the step down.
I have 2 of the slightly smaller units (TA-E 86) which are a little bit less overengineered, but still to notch.

Which reminds me:
for our German (or European viewers): on of the 86 plus a Burmester 846 would be up for grabs in exchange for a reasonable amount of mullah (or Öcken (tm))

Need to make room, I am currently looking at

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/-wohnen-im-gruenen-schoenes-reetgedecktes-bauernhaus-mit-wirtschaftsdiele-in-huntorf-elsfleth/1526009778-208-2738

Pros:
enough space, 380V available for an Okuma, and forklift accessible ...
cons:
plenty. biggest issue:
it's in Germany ...
Electricity may be an issue.
needs new heating
is in the middle of nowhere

Postage to me is only $30AUD or I will be going past the area next week - enable enable enable if required  >:D :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #78573 on: January 02, 2021, 11:15:44 am »
if you want it, go for it. It is easily one of the best somewhat affordable preamps out there.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78574 on: January 02, 2021, 11:20:25 am »
if you want it, go for it. It is easily one of the best somewhat affordable preamps out there.

I was offering to post to you I have a fairly nice old Kenwood 70's component system that will do me :-DD

Also noticed this tasty Voltmeter for the collector or SA native eBay auction: #224297315211

The following users thanked this post: factory, Saskia

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf