Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18116921 times)

Eric-H and 49 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #78525 on: January 01, 2021, 04:14:04 pm »

Range extenders are shit. The only reliable way to build a wifi that can stand modern clients and their appetite for parallel video stream downloads is to put cabled access points everywhere there's people, and then move everything that really needs to work off the wireless. If it is bolted to or hung on the wall, it bloody well can have a cable run to it.

Yes indeed. I've removed the TP range extender. he Archer C7 seems to cover th house pretty well even though it's not in an ideal location. SWMBO wants a good connection but not a WAP on the wall  ::)
RF coverage generally is poor in the house, foil lined plasterboard  doesn't help.

One AP per room, then. Where I sit now I can visually see three active access points. Which is serious overkill (and that, as we all remember, is the TEA way to translate the Swedish "lagom". ) and should not be attempted unless a controller system is built that can manage the access points and control their RF parameters.
I only have 4 AP's, 3 for general use and 1 solely dedicated to the door camera with its own SSID to ensure that nothing slows it down otherwise it's a waste of time having video surveillance if it's hampered in any way. The general Wi-Fi covers the entire house well now.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78526 on: January 01, 2021, 04:26:09 pm »
What will remain after Brexit (already read about Brextremists?) will be a United Kingdom.
Strike out United and be left with Kingdom.
Even that will become obsolete in the near future.
The genius that will become king frightens me.
Frans

In respect to royalty we, here in Holland, are in a comparable position.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 04:28:21 pm by FransW »
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78527 on: January 01, 2021, 04:27:19 pm »

Range extenders are shit. The only reliable way to build a wifi that can stand modern clients and their appetite for parallel video stream downloads is to put cabled access points everywhere there's people, and then move everything that really needs to work off the wireless. If it is bolted to or hung on the wall, it bloody well can have a cable run to it.

Yes indeed. I've removed the TP range extender. he Archer C7 seems to cover th house pretty well even though it's not in an ideal location. SWMBO wants a good connection but not a WAP on the wall  ::)
RF coverage generally is poor in the house, foil lined plasterboard  doesn't help.

One AP per room, then. Where I sit now I can visually see three active access points. Which is serious overkill (and that, as we all remember, is the TEA way to translate the Swedish "lagom". ) and should not be attempted unless a controller system is built that can manage the access points and control their RF parameters.
I only have 4 AP's, 3 for general use and 1 solely dedicated to the door camera with its own SSID to ensure that nothing slows it down otherwise it's a waste of time having video surveillance if it's hampered in any way. The general Wi-Fi covers the entire house well now.

I bought an TP-LINK extender  (AC1750 RE450) to extend the wifi to my office on the second floor. It's working well for me. I do zoom meetings all day long and never seen any hickup and slow down. On the other hand I probably have less wifi clients than most of you since all the TV and streaming box are on a separate power line network.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 04:59:26 pm by Kosmic »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #78528 on: January 01, 2021, 04:28:45 pm »

You've spent entirely too much time looking at an Aruba control panel on your admin console.  :-DD

And so have I; Can see what you're talking aboot in my head... But as you say; definitely overkill for a home deployment that is gonna have like a dozen users. :P

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78529 on: January 01, 2021, 04:36:11 pm »
I still run cabled Ethernet  :popcorn:

Resident iPhone and iPad users can sit closer to the bloody router or suck it up  :-DD

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78530 on: January 01, 2021, 04:42:15 pm »

Resident iPhone and iPad users can sit closer to the bloody router or suck it up  :-DD

Yeah I should do that but I'm too lazy to fish the cables in the wall.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78531 on: January 01, 2021, 04:48:37 pm »
I could not resist. Found bunch of those Booton meter on ebay for something like 20$ each.

They are not entirely working and have their own problems but I should have plenty of spare parts to fix one or 2. A good thing I got a lot of probes to go with these meters not long ago. Just need to find the cables now.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 04:55:18 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, syau, tonyalbus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #78532 on: January 01, 2021, 04:49:47 pm »
A very Homer Simpson page count.

Happy New Year, may it be less interesting than the last one.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #78533 on: January 01, 2021, 04:50:06 pm »
Happy new year, you miserable bastards. I hope to see you all on the other end of this one as well.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Specmaster, bd139, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #78534 on: January 01, 2021, 04:50:38 pm »

Cables are blatantly superior. Wifi is fine if you have some pansy iPad without proper ports, I suppose.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78535 on: January 01, 2021, 04:50:54 pm »

Mine are run across the floor  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78536 on: January 01, 2021, 04:54:55 pm »

I bought an TP-LINK extender  (AC1750) to extend the wifi to my office on the second floor. It's working well for me. I do zoom meetings all day long and never seen any hickup and slow down. On the other hand I probably have less wifi clients than most of you since all the TV and streaming box are on a separate power line network.
The TP-Link AC1750 is not an extender, it is a AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router in its own right but can be used as WAP's. I have 2 TP-Link TL-WA901N (proper wireless access points) with built in hubs and range extenders are all single units that plug directly into a power socket and carry the range designator of RE pics below. The range extenders are half duplex units that get progressively slower and slower depending on how the system is set up. I had used a TP-Link extender as shown below for the door camera, useless, replaced it with a power link (uses mains cabling as the connection between the devices) as shown below and now the camera has excellent connection and works perfectly, which also provides 2 Ethernet ports to allow 2 wired devices to also be connected to the same WAP.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78537 on: January 01, 2021, 04:57:54 pm »

I bought an TP-LINK extender  (AC1750) to extend the wifi to my office on the second floor. It's working well for me. I do zoom meetings all day long and never seen any hickup and slow down. On the other hand I probably have less wifi clients than most of you since all the TV and streaming box are on a separate power line network.
The TP-Link AC1750 is not an extender, it is a AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit WiFi Router in its own right but can be used as WAP's. I have 2 TP-Link TL-WA901N (proper wireless access points) with built in hubs and range extenders are all single units that plug directly into a power socket and carry the range designator of RE pics below. The range extenders are half duplex units that get progressively slower and slower depending on how the system is set up. I had used a TP-Link extender as shown below for the door camera, useless, replaced it with a power link (uses mains cabling as the connection between the devices) as shown below and now the camera has excellent connection and works perfectly, which also provides 2 Ethernet ports to allow 2 wired devices to also be connected to the same WAP.

sorry wrong model I got the RE450 https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/range-extender/re450/

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78538 on: January 01, 2021, 05:11:13 pm »

I also run cabled Ethernet because I have so many devices connected to the network, but we also have numerous wireless devices and the main incoming router and Wi-Fi point is in one of my sons bedrooms at one end of the house and another son at the other end also has wireless gear and cabled, and then SWMBO downstairs in the Lounge does not want cables everywhere, I have a combination of Ethernet, wireless and power-links to provide plenty of connections and expansion. I have a 16 way Netgear 1GB switch unit in my lab, feeding 7 connections, cable from there to the other end of the house in other sons bedroom, feeding a 6 way hub and WAP, all ways used up. First son (incoming) does want cables like SWMBO, so Power-Link next to the main router, another next to his PC feeds into another 6 way hub, feeding laser printer and his PC. Power-link in the lounge, 6 way hub, feeding TV, Internet radio and media streamer, Tivo box, Blueray player and a WAP and another Power-Link access point by the front door for the door camera.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #78539 on: January 01, 2021, 05:12:50 pm »

I have only wired cameras, and any new ones will be PoE in addition. Wireless is for things that are carried and moved.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #78540 on: January 01, 2021, 05:15:03 pm »

You've spent entirely too much time looking at an Aruba control panel on your admin console.  :-DD

And so have I; Can see what you're talking aboot in my head... But as you say; definitely overkill for a home deployment that is gonna have like a dozen users. :P

mnem

I've never touched Aruba. My system is Cisco vWLC 8.5 on VMWare, with 2702 LWAPP access points.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78541 on: January 01, 2021, 05:16:28 pm »

sorry wrong model I got the RE450 https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/range-extender/re450/
Arh, that is a dual-band device which might explain why you have no problems with Zoom, my extenders are 2.4Ghz only.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78542 on: January 01, 2021, 05:18:23 pm »

I have only wired cameras, and any new ones will be PoE in addition. Wireless is for things that are carried and moved.

If it were my house, so would I but its a HA house.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78543 on: January 01, 2021, 05:20:19 pm »
Found this elsewhere... appropriate for UK TEA members  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78544 on: January 01, 2021, 05:27:03 pm »

Mine are run across the floor  :-DD
My cables are run across in the loft and drop where required.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78545 on: January 01, 2021, 05:32:19 pm »

(Attachment Link)
Thats quite good, but as always YMMV. I find that DPD and Yodel will enable you to track your package in almost real time if the sender could be bothered to provide full contact info of the recipient, otherwise is just a generic message telling you that its on its way.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78546 on: January 01, 2021, 07:41:16 pm »

(Attachment Link)
Thats quite good, but as always YMMV. I find that DPD and Yodel will enable you to track your package in almost real time if the sender could be bothered to provide full contact info of the recipient, otherwise is just a generic message telling you that its on its way.

Yep true.

Just tripped over this video of “typical London” involving DPD  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, syau

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78547 on: January 01, 2021, 09:44:02 pm »
It appears you have 2 dipshits in that little video.

Dipshit #1 is the van driver making a rushed right hand turn against traffic without taking into account all forms of traffic coming at him. Cyclist, pedestrian, etc. (Same deal as a left hand turn against traffic here)

Dipshit #2 is cyclist riding a vintage bike with no brakes in heavy traffic and going at an unreasonably high speed. And then it appears he turns LEFT INTO the van rather than right to avoid it.  :palm:   

Classic case of when dipshits collide.  ::) :D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, syau, srb1954

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78548 on: January 01, 2021, 10:00:32 pm »
Nailed it. The location is known for mega hipster quantities on stupid bikes.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78549 on: January 01, 2021, 10:37:52 pm »
Nailed it. The location is known for mega hipster quantities on stupid bikes.
Worple Road area by any chance  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf