Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17687523 times)

Vince, Wolfgang and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #78450 on: December 31, 2020, 10:02:33 pm »
Just turn off the firewall so your iPwns can phone home to mommy on every port and you'll be fine.  >:D

mnem
Whitelist...? Wee don'n need no steenkeeng whitelist!!! :-DD

There is no firewall. Just a NAT. This is a L2 association problem.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #78451 on: December 31, 2020, 10:03:16 pm »
   Finally ready to use, the front trim was swapped from top/bottom after straightening, new cap for the sensitivity knob fitted (Elma).

David

Looking good; a fine way to wash the taste of 2020 out of your mouth!  :-DD

mnem
 :clap:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78452 on: December 31, 2020, 10:14:56 pm »
Just turn off the firewall so your iPwns can phone home to mommy on every port and you'll be fine.  >:D

mnem
Whitelist...? Wee don'n need no steenkeeng whitelist!!! :-DD

There is no firewall. Just a NAT. This is a L2 association problem.

I've never felt comfortable allowing my phone to be connected to WiFi continuously... so many holes in an OS customized by the biggest pirates on the face of the planet (mobile carriers and Gurrgle/fApple in cooperation with those carriers), so much in so many phones that depends on nothing more than security through obscurity. The only hope one has of reducing one's assault exposure profile is the fact that the carrier's network is their lifeblood, so they have a dollars and cents interest in keeping your individual connection mostly clean and not exposed directly to the internet without the same prophylacytic filters they use themselves.

One's most personal of personal confusers is literally a surveillance device tied directly to your bank account in many cases; I for one cannot feel comfortable in that under any circumstances.

*sigh*

mnem
It's really sad when you think aboot it. :palm:

« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:01:03 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78453 on: December 31, 2020, 10:20:38 pm »
...On a positive note I’ve got 5G here. Getting 319mbits down  :scared:. Wonder how long before someone burns the tower  :-DD

mnem
I'll be right over. 
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 10:25:33 pm by mnementh »

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78454 on: December 31, 2020, 10:31:03 pm »
This is about to be taken downstairs and put through its paces.

The idea is to pair this scope with the Heathkit semiconductor curve tracer I picked up in the fall from the pawn shop and make a test station out of the two of them.  Every Tektronix curve tracer I’ve come across has been priced well above what I can afford so until the time comes that I’m in the right place at the right time, this should work well.

It did make me stop and think though about how much volume of air in my house is displaced by vacuum tubes though.  Air displaced by vacuum contained in electronics was normal in most houses for a period of time spanning from when radios became a common household item through the end of CRT televisions, and is now uncommon once again.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 10:37:03 pm by 25 CPS »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139, factory, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78455 on: December 31, 2020, 10:42:27 pm »
That's okay... the expansion of air heated by those vacuum choobs and their kilowatts of power supply more than made up for that lost volume. ;)

That looks like it'll be a fun "little" lab corner. Glad I'm not paying your 'lectric bill. :-DD

mnem
tzzzt.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78456 on: December 31, 2020, 10:55:49 pm »

It did make me stop and think though about how much volume of air in my house is displaced by vacuum tubes though.  Air displaced by vacuum contained in electronics was normal in most houses for a period of time spanning from when radios became a common household item through the end of CRT televisions, and is now uncommon once again.

If my 60+ vacuum tube Type 535A won't make my apartment uncomfortably warm then you're golden with that hp.

Just turn the room thermostat down a few degrees.  :-+ 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78457 on: December 31, 2020, 11:01:00 pm »
Just discovered that we are no longer to use the CE marking, thus making millions of £ worth of stock and packaging valueless overnight and looking like it will all have to be dumped  :palm:

Been reading the Daily Mail again? As Robert has already said, that's bunkum!

Nope, don't read any of the gutter press, apparently it was, my son said, on Twitter so possibly did come from a press report or something similar, so there was some truth in the story at least. Either way as of 2 minutes time, we find ourselves in a far less advantageous position than we have been for many years.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78458 on: December 31, 2020, 11:02:31 pm »
Just discovered that we are no longer to use the CE marking, thus making millions of £ worth of stock and packaging valueless overnight and looking like it will all have to be dumped  :palm:

Been reading the Daily Mail again? As Robert has already said, that's bunkum!

Nope, don't read any of the gutter press, apparently it was, my son said, on Twitter so possibly did come from a press report or something similar, so there was some truth in the story at least. Either way as of 2 minutes time, we find ourselves in a far less advantageous position than we have been for many years.

So you guys have now officially Brexit?  :o

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78459 on: December 31, 2020, 11:06:15 pm »
Sort of. More rounds of arguing and dick swinging left. This will go on for a decade.

Everyone concentrating on “sovrinty” and “fish” but as indicated they mostly don’t understand the concept of sovereignty, hell they can’t even spell it, and won’t eat fish unless it’s battered. And only eat them with the most English side they can muster, which is actually Belgian.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:08:12 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78460 on: December 31, 2020, 11:07:33 pm »
Just changed the wireless network here. The combination of Virgin Hub3 TP link range extender and SWMBO's Galaxy Tab was not working (DHCP through range extender issue). After neary 2 hours on hold Virgin said I'd have to pay monthly for their range extender(s) dispite their app sayin they were FOC. I was not going to pay for them so got a TP link Archer C7 router / AP. Instalaltion was pretty simple after setting the Hub 3 to modem mode. Set the TP to the same id and PW as I had for the Hub 3 and everthing worked straight off. Even the printer which always gave trouble on SWMBO's laptop if the old hub was restarted.

Here I've been fighting Apple devices losing connection through my industrial grade wifi. (Cisco access points and a vWLC on VMWare.) There are TONS of options and nothing comprehensible. The Androids and my MacBook are rock solid, but upgraded iPhones drop off the net all the time. Or did. I think I got a few things right yesterday.

Dead reliable here. Using Fritz box with default config and built in antennas. Still haven’t replaced it with the Cisco. Have got to the point I can no longer be arsed with that idea so the Cisco is rotting under my TV unit at the moment  :-DD

As for range extenders I’ve never had one that works.

On a positive note I’ve got 5G here. Getting 319mbits down  :scared:. Wonder how long before someone burns the tower  :-DD
I think you'll find that range extenders are half duplex at best, I tried one to boost the signal to my doorbell video camera, sited it just 1 metre away, linked to an access point just 6 metres away, total waste of time. Replaced it with a power link adaptor next to the main router, Ethernet lead to the adaptor and plugged in power link access point 1 metre away from camera, perfect max signal strength, no more problems.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78461 on: December 31, 2020, 11:07:48 pm »
Sort of. More rounds of arguing and dick swinging left. This will go on for a decade.

In the meantime your pound is taking a beating. It's only worth a $1.37 USD currently.

Edit...where's the chips to go with the fish?  :-DD
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:10:36 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78462 on: December 31, 2020, 11:09:34 pm »

In the meantime your pound is taking a beating. It's only worth a $1.37 USD currently.

That’s not bad in recent times. Only time it was good was ~2008. Was $2/£1 then. Of course I had bugger all money then to spend on anything  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78463 on: December 31, 2020, 11:17:57 pm »

Everyone concentrating on “sovrinty” and “fish” but as indicated they mostly don’t understand the concept of sovereignty, hell they can’t even spell it, and won’t eat fish unless it’s battered. And only eat them with the most English side they can muster, which is actually Belgian.
Haha, I'm waiting for the time when the truth hits them that for the time being at least there will fewer fights into EU airspace by UK airlines, which will impact on holidaymakers, the need to have a green card for car insurance. Less ability to advantage of snap bargains of holidays because of the need for the extras to be arranged in time, the end of the free use of credit cards outside the UK and also of course the re-introduction of roaming charges on their mobile phone and Internet access outside the UK. No longer being able to the faster EU check ins at ports and airports etc to kick in. and all the other surprises that are going to be discovered.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline gnif

• Administrator
  • Views and opinions are my own
    • AMD
« Reply #78464 on: December 31, 2020, 11:20:00 pm »
2020, the year that this thread hit 3136 pages... crazy
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:22:31 pm by gnif »
SMTS Software Development Engineer @ AMD

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78465 on: December 31, 2020, 11:21:11 pm »
Well, if the pound stays weak vs USD and the vaccine gets Covid under control expect London this coming Summer to be over run with Yankee tourists. I pity you.  ;D   

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #78466 on: December 31, 2020, 11:22:31 pm »
Just changed the wireless network here. The combination of Virgin Hub3 TP link range extender and SWMBO's Galaxy Tab was not working (DHCP through range extender issue). After neary 2 hours on hold Virgin said I'd have to pay monthly for their range extender(s) dispite their app sayin they were FOC. I was not going to pay for them so got a TP link Archer C7 router / AP. Instalaltion was pretty simple after setting the Hub 3 to modem mode. Set the TP to the same id and PW as I had for the Hub 3 and everthing worked straight off. Even the printer which always gave trouble on SWMBO's laptop if the old hub was restarted.

Here I've been fighting Apple devices losing connection through my industrial grade wifi. (Cisco access points and a vWLC on VMWare.) There are TONS of options and nothing comprehensible. The Androids and my MacBook are rock solid, but upgraded iPhones drop off the net all the time. Or did. I think I got a few things right yesterday.

Dead reliable here. Using Fritz box with default config and built in antennas. Still haven’t replaced it with the Cisco. Have got to the point I can no longer be arsed with that idea so the Cisco is rotting under my TV unit at the moment  :-DD

As for range extenders I’ve never had one that works.

On a positive note I’ve got 5G here. Getting 319mbits down  :scared:. Wonder how long before someone burns the tower  :-DD

I'm using the range extenders from AVM here at home and at some locations of some friends of mine (I'm administer their computer and network stuff).
No complaints, no issues, they simply work. Can recommend them. And, as always: no affiliations with AVM besides I'm a happy customer.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78467 on: December 31, 2020, 11:22:39 pm »
2020, the year that this thread hit > 3100 pages... crazy

Well at least SMF is getting some load testing  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78468 on: December 31, 2020, 11:24:20 pm »

Is there a page limit? Are we in danger of breaking the forum?  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78469 on: December 31, 2020, 11:25:09 pm »
There will be some O(wtf) algorithm in it somewhere we will break at some point I reckon  :-DD

Offline gnif

• Administrator
  • Views and opinions are my own
    • AMD
« Reply #78470 on: December 31, 2020, 11:26:26 pm »

Just did the DB query...

78,379 posts in total

Not for a long time, I have done a lot to ensure the forum is scalable.
SMTS Software Development Engineer @ AMD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78471 on: December 31, 2020, 11:26:43 pm »
Oh hell yeah, just had loads of gammon letting off fireworks at 11:00pm in celebration of Brexit  :palm: It seems as if a lot of people take delight in pissing on their children's futures by removing all the benefits they had as EU members because the older folk want to return to the dark ages as if they were great or something  :wtf:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78472 on: December 31, 2020, 11:28:42 pm »

Just did the DB query...

78,379 posts in total

Well I’m sure we all appreciate the efforts and sorry for any headaches on the way  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: gnif, med6753, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78473 on: December 31, 2020, 11:28:55 pm »

Just did the DB query...

78,379 posts in total

Good boy, we're just getting started.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78474 on: December 31, 2020, 11:35:01 pm »
Well, if the pound stays weak vs USD and the vaccine gets Covid under control expect London this coming Summer to be over run with Yankee tourists. I pity you.  ;D

Don't worry on our account, me and BD have a whole bunch of bridges to sell to them.  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf