Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16913225 times)

factory, Vgkid, Vince and 99 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #78325 on: December 29, 2020, 09:36:23 pm »
Geez, I am beat. Spent the past 3.5 hours in a food warehouse helping Jo stock up on provisions. My refrigerator is now packed plus other goods not requiring refrigeration packed into the back of the CR-V. Over $300 USD spent, even with $30 USD in coupons.  :scared:

So if NYC goes into shutdown again she's covered.  :-+

I look over and she's already falling asleep in the chair.  :o :-DD BTW....her gash is right on her forehead. Looks like it took about 10 stitches or so to close it.   :phew:
Bitta Smurf love and she'll be right in no time.  :-*
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78326 on: December 29, 2020, 09:59:05 pm »
Yeah the typo says it all in the feedback  :palm:

Heh, heh. Now I want to buy something off you just so I can leave feedback that says "Very hellfull".  :)

So wait... you're suggesting that whatever you buy on fleaBay... if it comes from bd, it is full of hell...? Or is this invective directed at the vendor...?  :-DD

mnem
Enquiring dwagons want to know...  >:D

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #78327 on: December 29, 2020, 10:00:59 pm »
@bd139 is GTA online cross platform? I have the feeling it isn't, and iirc you're on PC...

Just started it on PS4 and it's every bit as crap as I remember from the PS3 days.

Still, if anyone needs a top driver (merely competent gunman) let me know. I'm pretty decent even when plastered...

@Robert763 I have my eye on a more modern unit on Deutsche fleabay but I expect it'll exceed my price range. Oh well...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78328 on: December 29, 2020, 10:16:20 pm »
@bd139 is GTA online cross platform? I have the feeling it isn't, and iirc you're on PC...

Just started it on PS4 and it's every bit as crap as I remember from the PS3 days.

Still, if anyone needs a top driver (merely competent gunman) let me know. I'm pretty decent even when plastered...

Not sure to be honest. GTA Online is a shit show though. Just Russian 12 year olds head shotting you. I played story mode end to end and that was it. My daughter likes to play Apex Legends now so isn’t interested either. I don’t get that game. You spend 20 minutes preparing and creeping around to be head shot by a Russian 12 year old. At least in GTA V they shoot you where you spawn saving a whole lot of faffing around and time you could have spent doing something more productive.  I miss stuff like quake 3 and Unreal Tournament. No time to breath just non stop high speed adrenaline filled murdering with an aftertaste of vodka and dominos.

Anyway the point is moot at least for me as I started decommissioning my PC today. No need for one now as I had a rather hefty Dell laptop dumped on me which does the work functions. So I’m going to be an uncultured swine and RDP into the thing from my Mac. I await the flames  :-DD

BTW never buy a Dell precision 5550. Horrid horrid thing. They tried to copy Apple at every stage and fucked it up massively. I’d be really pissed off if I’d paid for it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 10:20:50 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78329 on: December 29, 2020, 10:20:07 pm »
fleaBay day:

45 quid per MHz, bargain! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-K-PRECISION-1432-1432-USED-TESTED-CLEANED/392307916820

Haha, they are always asking stupid money for their stuff, if its from Radwell, leave it well alone is my motto. I wonder if there is anybody stupid enough to pay their ridiculous valuations?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78330 on: December 29, 2020, 11:14:23 pm »
snip...
Edit: changed your picture to JPG, PNG too large those of us using pay-as-you-go phones.

Some of us are having rejected/security issues with JPegs is and I haven't looked for a reason with my 12 month old install of irfanview. Waiting for a response from Dave or Gnif.

Image Resizer PowerToy still works. ;)   https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

I've had a few jpg images saved off the web trigger this response (no, not disguised heic, just plain jpg) lately, even tho less than 100kB. Open in Paint, save as .jpg and Voila! no problems; even tho sometimes the file is bigger than before.  :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:

I've also had occasional problems with security issues when uploading images (started a couple of months ago), usually with images that have been rotated in Irfanview*, editing from the original picture again has worked fine afterwards, even if it ends up the exact same size edit.

*Need to update my Irfanview, apparently it's the 2014 version.  :-DD

David

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78331 on: December 29, 2020, 11:24:36 pm »
fleaBay day:
My fave serial boat anchor abuser has himself an Agilent branded 3458A with recent cal: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Keysight-Agilent-3458A-Digit-Digital-Multimeter-8-Digit-ND-O/224297338135

Makes you wonder if it had a failed cal sticker removed before listing, also has ERR shown on display, that seller knows bugger-all² about the stuff he's selling.

David

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78332 on: December 29, 2020, 11:32:40 pm »
SNIP
BTW never buy a Dell precision 5550. Horrid horrid thing. They tried to copy Apple at every stage and fucked it up massively. I’d be really pissed off if I’d paid for it.
Personally I always thought that Dell was a shit show anyway, I don't think that from all the computers I've had the pleasure of working (as in repairing), none have been such bad performers as Dell's. I have been given a Dell Dimension 5520 tower that currently sits under my desk/bench that I was supposed to be returning into a games machine to play my many games that need windoze XP or 7 to run on. The thing it is still sitting there 2 years later, I can't be arsed to do it because it will be a disappointment I'm sure.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78333 on: December 29, 2020, 11:39:08 pm »
Yes there is a Plessey SP630F in there, I suspect a tunnel diode is on the same board too (D1), can't confirm this as I don't have a manual and don't want unreadible crap from Mauritron, the other source emanualsbank is a scam.

David

Ugh tunnel diodes. Either that or Schottky diode. There was a similar one in the front end of some racal counters which was used for the AGC measurement of the preamp (which handily was stuffed out of the back panel and great for peaking RF circuits)

Should be easy enough to reverse engineer that however.

No need to reverse engineer the pre-scaler board (19-0604) as it's also used in the Racal 9059, manual scanned by a member of the vintage radio forum here; http://ftb.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=download&file=Racal/Racal_Dana_9057_9059_Frequency_Period_Meter_Service_Manual_3.1.74-125.pdf

The pre-scaler board can be found on pages 51 to 53 of the 9057/9 manual and yes that diode D1 is a tunnel diode (very similar looking to the failed originals in the troublesome HP 5248M), no spec given in the parts list though.

David

The following users thanked this post: bd139, beanflying

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #78334 on: December 30, 2020, 01:04:56 am »
Thanks for the comments re the knobs on the 3403C, it is amazing what can stare you in the face and you don't see!
I was bewitched by the fact that it had both the feet and the bale, the body work was excellent and in specication. The lower knob is modern but the other two have an 1970s look / feel but quite different from the original!
D'oh😂
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #78335 on: December 30, 2020, 01:11:47 am »
snip...
Edit: changed your picture to JPG, PNG too large those of us using pay-as-you-go phones.

Some of us are having rejected/security issues with JPegs is and I haven't looked for a reason with my 12 month old install of irfanview. Waiting for a response from Dave or Gnif.

I've had a few jpg images saved off the web trigger this response (no, not disguised heic, just plain jpg) lately, even tho less than 100kB. Open in Paint, save as .jpg and Voila! no problems; even tho sometimes the file is bigger than before.  :-//

mnem

I've also had occasional problems with security issues when uploading images (started a couple of months ago), usually with images that have been rotated in Irfanview*, editing from the original picture again has worked fine afterwards, even if it ends up the exact same size edit.

David

Just had a look at the changelog for the newer versions then my 4.53 to the current 4.56 and nothing obvious to do with Jpeg security measures so I am calling the issue an SMF or Plugin one.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #78336 on: December 30, 2020, 01:38:14 am »
What's the max CAT class for an AWG24 ethernet cable? I am wondering if I can find a CAT7 with AWG24...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #78337 on: December 30, 2020, 01:41:44 am »
snip...

mnem

David

Just had a look at the changelog for the newer versions then my 4.53 to the current 4.56 and nothing obvious to do with Jpeg security measures so I am calling the issue an SMF or Plugin one.
It is and take your pick. I pick Plugin.
However not every uploaded JPG gives issues and for any that do just open in Paint and resave seems to work just fine.
Posting is so much fun these days  ::) .....need to use the 2nd file attachment box to prevent issues and now this JPG BS too.  :bullshit:  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #78338 on: December 30, 2020, 01:59:10 am »
Yeah the typo says it all in the feedback  :palm:

Heh, heh. Now I want to buy something off you just so I can leave feedback that says "Very hellfull".  :)

So wait... you're suggesting that whatever you buy on fleaBay... if it comes from bd, it is full of hell...? Or is this invective directed at the vendor...?  :-DD

mnem
Enquiring dwagons want to know...  >:D

Ahhh... one of my favourites. ;)   Along with this one, on personal data mining archaeology...  :-DD

mnem
Good lord... mIRC can still parse my old KickChat$cripts!!! :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78339 on: December 30, 2020, 02:36:53 am »
Oh fun. eBay fucktard time. Sold a decent quality Berghaus fleece on 6th November. Silence, no feedback, nothing. Got a return case opened this morning saying it was too small  :palm: :palm:. Original item listed as no returns. Seriously pisses me off these chancers do.

Bloody humans!  >:(

Not quite as bad as the idiot who couldn’t work out how to use a frequency counter though.

Edit: also the fat bastard that ate all the apples off my tree is now taunting me  :-DD
My, that is one ugly fecker. Looks almost like a small wallaby. Will need thorough roast.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78340 on: December 30, 2020, 02:48:18 am »
Had an interesting session at work today. Measuring the reaction time of a PIN-diode RF switch/selector.
Those (untranslatable) that designed that board obviously thought that test points are for the weak.
Lots of cussing to be heard from me and the SW guy, whose VM kept freezing due to a dubious USB/EthN-adaptor. But luckily, we succeeded before we ran out of expletives. The cramp in my hand from positioning both the micro Tek active probe and its ground lead while keeping the other hand free to work the scope will hopefully be gone soon.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #78341 on: December 30, 2020, 05:37:00 am »
      Left side finished. Looking good, fits the 54645A like it was made for it. Which it was. ;) Now printing right side. :-+

mnem
*wanders off in search of caffeine*
Uggh. 14 hour print... test fit and I find I made a 5mm error on one of the walls, which put the rear foot pocket offset wrong by 5mm.  :palm:  Now printing V2.

The Role of Failure in Design, ehhh...?  ;)

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\
Well better put a sign up with the theme of 3D printing designers worldwide -  "It'll fit next time"

This time it does fit!  :box: After 1.7 copies of the wrong one, that is...  |O

This wedge raises the 54645A up 95mm at a point just behind the front feet, but it does not block any airflow out of the 'scope; in fact, it directs the exhaust right towards the vented back of the UTG962E to keep air moving through. :-+

The nice thing, aside from the fact it keeps the UTG962E tucked neatly out of the way yet the front clear for use... is I actually gain almost 6 inches of clear space in front of the scope on top of my cart. And since I have this all plugged into one of those sensor power strips, power on the scope turns both ON/OFF. It was just because that strip was what I had lying under my desk... but I actually kindof like it.   ;D

mnem
Everybody needs something to believe in; I believe I'm going to bed.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, Mortymore, wolfy007, bd139, beanflying, AVGresponding, BILLPOD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78342 on: December 30, 2020, 06:30:50 am »
hp scopes have trouble triggering in ALT mode? Lame.  :P :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78343 on: December 30, 2020, 09:51:35 am »

@Robert763 I have my eye on a more modern unit on Deutsche fleabay but I expect it'll exceed my price range. Oh well...

What do you want / need to measure / detect? I may have something suitable available.
 PM me if you like.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78344 on: December 30, 2020, 10:10:05 am »
SNIP
Personally I always thought that Dell was a shit show anyway, I don't think that from all the computers I've had the pleasure of working (as in repairing), none have been such bad performers as Dell's. I have been given a Dell Dimension 5520 tower that currently sits under my desk/bench that I was supposed to be returning into a games machine to play my many games that need windoze XP or 7 to run on. The thing it is still sitting there 2 years later, I can't be arsed to do it because it will be a disappointment I'm sure.

The old precision desktops were fairly good but the consumer desktops were vile bits of crap. As were the laptops. This carries through.

My specific complaints are as follows so you can see what a shitty job they did, mostly comparing to a MacBook Pro.

1. It’s packed like an Apple machine ie nearly with plastic pull tab to get it out. However the box liner is made of shit plastic and when you pull the plastic tab the laptop gets stuck in the box because it warps.
2. When you eventually tip the box upside down to get it out all the other crap falls out onto the floor.
3. Everything is covered with self adhesive plastic which leaves residue on the charger. Apple only put the glue on bits that stick to other bits of wrapper.
4. The charger runs hotter than Satan’s bollocks. New Apple M1’s run cold.
5. The entire laptop weighs a whole Kg more than a 15” MacBook Pro. It’s close to my massive HP Elitebook from the dark ages.
6. It arrived dead in the box and needed charging right away for ten minutes before it would even boot. This was a custom build.
7. The power button isn’t even marked on it and is shared with the finger print reader.
8. Half the edit keys require hitting the Fn meta keys which make it hell for programming on.
9. The entire palm rest area is made of the shittiest plastic they could muster. It feels horrible like a chalk board.
10. Only 2/3 of the space bar actually can be pressed.
11. The trackpad has really poor palm rejection meaning you have to constantly hold your hands like a spider legging it.
12. It’s impossible to reliably right click on it because they copied Apple’s tap two fingers and did a terrible job of it.
13. You can’t press to click on the top inch of the touchpad at all and you have varying pressure across the rest of it which makes reliably clicking difficult.
14. The thing is loud. When I’ve got the dryer going in the next room I can hear the laptop over it.
15. SD card reader isn’t a latching one so the card sticks out while it’s being used.
16. Battery life is abysmal. I got 2 hours out of it doing normal software dev work.

It’s a complete failure of a machine from end to end. Hence its being parked on the desk and used as a network access desktop via RDP. At the same time I’m going to get them to order a replacement thinkpad which is definitely going to be better than this turd.

Honestly at this point if this is what people think is decent on the PC side of things, which is possible as this thing actually has positive reviews (?!??!?) then the whole market just needs to curl up and die.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 10:11:59 am by bd139 »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78345 on: December 30, 2020, 10:22:07 am »
fleaBay day:

45 quid per MHz, bargain! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-K-PRECISION-1432-1432-USED-TESTED-CLEANED/392307916820

Haha, they are always asking stupid money for their stuff, if its from Radwell, leave it well alone is my motto. I wonder if there is anybody stupid enough to pay their ridiculous valuations?

They do sell quite a lot of non-TE. Their main market is industrial maintenance where a machine or whole production line is down for an old or out of stock component so company will pay well over the odds to get up and running again. Add the accountants like of having a minimum number of supplier accounts and people start using them for anthing odd. A lot of their "stock" is actually on consignment. money for old rope (almost literally) once you are up and running for a few years.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #78346 on: December 30, 2020, 10:43:05 am »
SNIP

The server chassis are quite OK. I've got a PE 710 and a PE 610 here, and in co-lo a PE 1850 that the 610 is slated to replace, and bar a few PSU swaps on the 1850 (Notorious error, but I've got a free supply of supplies and they're doubled so am not really concerned) it's been running very long now. Way, way, way overdue swap there. My file servers are Supermicro chassis, and they're rock solid too. Before Supermicro I had PE 2950 as file servers. Their service was tainted by worn-out RAID controller batteries and bad Seagate HDD, but those things are to be expected. No data lost.

In my military work I had a bunch of Dell laptops; big and clunky enough that one could swap drives (with a screwdriver) in them, enabling compartmented work. They were OK, but not exciting.

At present work, everyone who want Windows get Dell laptops. It seems to work, but I've got a Mac, so couldn't care less ;-)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78347 on: December 30, 2020, 10:54:17 am »
Corporate policy at this place is windows and you get given a windows laptop but everyone has their own macs where the business is done  :-//. More backwards corporate fuckery.

Incidentally I’m running an M1 mini as my main desktop. It’s like having a sun pizza box back :-+

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78348 on: December 30, 2020, 11:30:52 am »
      Left side finished. Looking good, fits the 54645A like it was made for it. Which it was. ;) Now printing right side. :-+

mnem
*wanders off in search of caffeine*
Uggh. 14 hour print... test fit and I find I made a 5mm error on one of the walls, which put the rear foot pocket offset wrong by 5mm.  :palm:  Now printing V2.

The Role of Failure in Design, ehhh...?  ;)

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\
Well better put a sign up with the theme of 3D printing designers worldwide -  "It'll fit next time"

This time it does fit!  :box: After 1.7 copies of the wrong one, that is...  |O

This wedge raises the 54645A up 95mm at a point just behind the front feet, but it does not block any airflow out of the 'scope; in fact, it directs the exhaust right towards the vented back of the UTG962E to keep air moving through. :-+

The nice thing, aside from the fact it keeps the UTG962E tucked neatly out of the way yet the front clear for use... is I actually gain almost 6 inches of clear space in front of the scope on top of my cart. And since I have this all plugged into one of those sensor power strips, power on the scope turns both ON/OFF. It was just because that strip was what I had lying under my desk... but I actually kindof like it.   ;D

mnem
Everybody needs something to believe in; I believe I'm going to bed.
Congrats, looking good  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78349 on: December 30, 2020, 12:54:35 pm »
hp scopes have trouble triggering in ALT mode? Lame.  :P :P :-DD

you wanna' provide some context for that?    :box:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 12:58:32 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me