Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16918108 times)

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #78275 on: December 29, 2020, 12:04:25 pm »
Oh joy. Even more irritating when they don't bother to communicate. Human race is terrible :(

I know it's stupid but it actually weighs on me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78276 on: December 29, 2020, 12:07:55 pm »
A full 'museum grade' HP 3403C ie fully working, no blemishes with all the feet/ isolating bush etc

The slow/fast knob looks suspiciously Yaesu FT-101 like :-//

They should all be the same size for a start, darker one for the range switch. I keep thinking about adding one to my collection but those that turn up always seem in poor condition.

David

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78277 on: December 29, 2020, 12:08:15 pm »
Edit: also the fat bastard that ate all the apples off my tree is now taunting me  :-DD

Quote from: Strax
I suggest a full-frontal assault with automated laser monkeys, scuffle mines, and acid.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78278 on: December 29, 2020, 12:10:07 pm »
Damm computers,
Thought I'd check my archive collection to see if I had a 9835 counter manual, dug out CD-ROM stuck it in drive, no CD-ROM icon in my pc (WIN 10 on a Tosh laptop).
Hour an a half later, finally fixed. Win 10 update incompatable with Tosh optical drive service  |O
An no I don't have the Racal manual  :--

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78279 on: December 29, 2020, 12:24:52 pm »
The Racal 9839 UHF frequency meter/counter arrived earlier, packaging very poor as usual, thankfully no further damage other than what it already has. The 9839 has a pre-scaler for up to 560MHz & eight number readout bulbs in quite a compact size case and no fan.  8)
SNIP

I've already adjusted the +5V rail as it was around +5.2V.

David

I thought my Nixie one was beaten up  :o Front Panel before and after shot of my beasty. I seem to remember a mention of an 80MHz prescaler option too when I refurbished it but the site search SUCKS?

That was nice & shiny afterwards, the 9837 is the 80MHz model with an extra board for that, the 9835/9837 manual is here (and lots of other places too);
http://ftb.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals&dir=Racal

I'm working from the dead tree version of that manual, lots of differences but the display board is very much the same apart from two extra sections.

David

Edit: changed your picture to JPG, PNG too large those of us using pay-as-you-go phones.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 12:35:18 pm by factory »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78280 on: December 29, 2020, 12:29:04 pm »
Damm computers,
Thought I'd check my archive collection to see if I had a 9835 counter manual, dug out CD-ROM stuck it in drive, no CD-ROM icon in my pc (WIN 10 on a Tosh laptop).
Hour an a half later, finally fixed. Win 10 update incompatable with Tosh optical drive service  |O

My Toshiba laptop is hopeless with updates too, took over 5 hours to install a major update last week, I haven't yet checked what it has broken but I suspect the Topfield (TV recorder box) driver will need reinstalling, it always does.

David

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #78281 on: December 29, 2020, 12:49:42 pm »
The Racal 9839 UHF frequency meter/counter arrived earlier, packaging very poor as usual, thankfully no further damage other than what it already has. The 9839 has a pre-scaler for up to 560MHz & eight number readout bulbs in quite a compact size case and no fan.  8)
SNIP

David

I thought my Nixie one was beaten up  :o Front Panel before and after shot of my beasty. I seem to remember a mention of an 80MHz prescaler option too when I refurbished it but the site search SUCKS?

That was nice & shiny afterwards, the 9837 is the 80MHz model with an extra board for that, the 9835/9837 manual is here (and lots of other places too);

I'm working from the dead tree version of that manual, lots of differences but the display board is very much the same apart from two extra sections.

David

Edit: changed your picture to JPG, PNG too large those of us using pay-as-you-go phones.
Some of us are having rejected/security issues with JPegs is and I haven't looked for a reason with my 12 month old install of irfanview. Waiting for a response from Dave or Gnif.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78282 on: December 29, 2020, 02:15:54 pm »
And the cunt left negative feedback. First negative feedback!  >:(

Appealing it!

And ebay declined the appeal. Apparently if the feedback is unjustified or undeserved it isn't enough to remove the negative feedback rating. Dicks!

971 feedback, 1 negative. Still pretty good  :-//

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #78283 on: December 29, 2020, 02:24:48 pm »
Damm computers,

I've not completely left optical drives behind, but I try to boot from USB pendrives when I can, to avoid burning a coaster. As to storage, everything digital I care for  is on spinning rust, with out-of-country backup nightly. I'm thinking of getting a Dropbox account upgrade to shovel backups into. Let's see where "unlimited" ends >:D ...

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #78284 on: December 29, 2020, 02:54:30 pm »
Having a few days off and browsing ebay is not good  :palm: :palm: :palm:

i saved myself a lot of time.. not only a Datron 1059 is comming but also a 1051.. they had a almost same manual anyway :-DD
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78285 on: December 29, 2020, 03:12:10 pm »
Damm computers,

I've not completely left optical drives behind, but I try to boot from USB pendrives when I can, to avoid burning a coaster. As to storage, everything digital I care for  is on spinning rust, with out-of-country backup nightly. I'm thinking of getting a Dropbox account upgrade to shovel backups into. Let's see where "unlimited" ends >:D ...

I don't have a single optical drive in the house now.

My backups are: mac -> { iCloud, local unencrypted offline USB/Samsung 870 via Time machine, local encrypted USB stick via Time Machine }

Joys of only having 90 gig of stuff I give a shit about 8). Decided data hoarding wasn't productive and just cost time and money so I went on a delete-a-thon.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78286 on: December 29, 2020, 03:17:17 pm »

Appealing it!

And ebay declined the appeal. Apparently if the feedback is unjustified or undeserved it isn't enough to remove the negative feedback rating. Dicks!

Maybe eBay thought, or the buyer claimed it was Xmas present that was too small and thought it was fair as shops are more understanding over the 2 or 3 months, Nov to Jan.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 03:21:03 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78287 on: December 29, 2020, 03:23:49 pm »

Appealing it!

Maybe eBay thought, or the buyer claimed it was Xmas present that was too small and thought it was fair as shops are more understanding over the 2 or 3 months, Nov to Jan.

Auction had explicitly no returns on it which is not against ebay policy plus I'm not a B2C transaction so aren't even covered by return legislation. I don't get it. I'm not Amazon Wardrobe ffs. Seller is well within his rights to sell it again if it's a problem!

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78288 on: December 29, 2020, 03:46:08 pm »
Damm computers,

I don't have a single optical drive in the house now.

My backups are: mac -> { iCloud, local unencrypted offline USB/Samsung 870 via Time machine, local encrypted USB stick via Time Machine }

Joys of only having 90 gig of stuff I give a shit about 8). Decided data hoarding wasn't productive and just cost time and money so I went on a delete-a-thon.

I'm the opposite, I archive any data I find on the WWW. Too many times a manual or datasheet that was there just disappears. For companies a take over or website make-over are common causes, others re site owner looses interest, dosn't pay host fees, dies or in one particular case got fed up with people selling his data he just closed down a huge archive. I have multiple optical back-ups some fixed magnetic disks locally and some stuf on sticks. I have a number of isssues with "cloud" storage. Main one is availablity if internet connectivity is down you are stuffed. Provide can decide to charge you a lot more or just quit. There is also security issues. I don't see any real alternative to optical storag for sometng that generally does not go faulty, consumes no power, is write once so you or someone else cant overwrite data and is cheap.
Personally I think we are creating a new dark age. more nd more data in less and less permanent storage.
Verified data is important. Before the WWW I was able to do so much more than others because I aquired (mostly with my own money) data, application and reference books.
OEM books, DATA, ICMaster, TITS, Janes etc, etc. I still have the first TTL data book I bought back in the seventies, special order from the USA. I also have a Janes Avionics that cost over £300 in the late eighties but the data in it got me a couple of lucrative contract jobs. It still has use as some of the systems described are now considered ITAR so nothing on the web about them. About 10 years ago Rockwell collins went through their website removing virtually all of the detailled equipment datasheets because of ITAR concerns.
There seems to be less and less verifiable data on the WWW but more and more rubbish, opinions, multiple copes of the same (often dubious) source, click-bait and scams.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78289 on: December 29, 2020, 03:52:46 pm »
Optical storage, by means of DVD-R etc, is a terrible storage medium. I've seen it go bad on the shelf in under 5 years.

Also I watched someone stick his life's work in one of those Pioneer slot loaders. Hmmm...zzzzz...grrrr.....BANG!  shards of DVD came flying out  :-DD

Only trustworthy offline storage is DLT. That is proven to last 20+ years.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78290 on: December 29, 2020, 04:22:22 pm »
USPS Fail. The distance between Tonopah, Arizona and Phoenix, Arizona is approximately 50 miles. It took 5 days to go those 50 miles.  :palm: And USPS is still predicting delivery on the 26th but does admit it's delayed. What a joke.  |O

This is a gray light filter for the Type 535A scope.

This is turning into an epic fail. It didn't finally LEAVE Phoenix until yesterday. No update today. I guess it's coming via a Mexican leading a jackass.  ::) |O

Looks like USPS decided to fire the jackass. As of this morning it is in Newark, NJ. I guess they found that this new thing called "air mail" does work.  ::) Now if they don't send it to various distribution centers I SHOULD have it by Thursday at the latest. In reality it should be here tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #78291 on: December 29, 2020, 04:40:13 pm »
Only trustworthy offline storage is DLT. That is proven to last 20+ years.

Dave Lee Travis..?   :-//

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78292 on: December 29, 2020, 04:42:00 pm »
I don't think he's going to last 20 years more  :-DD

Digital Linear Tape :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78293 on: December 29, 2020, 04:52:39 pm »
What the actual fuck?
Nothing a sturdy sidecutter can't fix  >:D

mnem
 :scared:
Eh, don't think a device that counts on being earthed should go without...

Sorry... I forget sometimes that not everybody here has my background in R/C.  :-[

To put it in context; that is a TRAXXAS LiPo battery connector. On the other end of those wires is a 3-4S LiPo capable of delivering 100-200A or more through a short; hence this PSA pic I created long ago as part of my blog in response to a sudden proliferation of battery bombs just after TRAXXAS released their virally popular Stadium Truck product line. Shockingly, TRAXXAS customers tend to either be complete noobs or just plain not the brightest bulbs in the string. ;)

So I guess the takeaway is... make sure you unplug it first, and never cut the two wires together.  :-DD

mnem
 :-/O

When I first saw your pic it was so big I mistook the connector for an Anderson plug, the kind you might find on, say, a 400V 38Ah string.
You can say goodbye to your cutters, and probably various parts of your anatomy if you tried that...

I didn't see it happen, but I did see the aftermath of someone accidentally brushing the casing with a battery link while they were making the interconnects ( yes I know, the ground link should be the last one you connect, but, apprentice, 'nuff said) and it blew a hole the size of a fifty pence (old type) in the heavy gauge (2mm) steel casing.
It was a 400V 38Ah string, though I don't know how far up the string he was when it happened.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78294 on: December 29, 2020, 05:02:56 pm »
Speaking of TLC required I just added this renovators delight to my long projects list :palm: Not switching on but hoping it is just a fuse and some IPA needed ...... eBay auction: #274621665402

Oh dewed... 5 digit serial, so pretty early production, right?

Is this one of the ones where the whole front panel is made from that pigeon's blood crystal plastic, and all the markings are on aluminum plates bonded to it? Be extra careful... embrittlement is a bastard with that stuff.

mnem
 :-/O

It has the battery option, so I'd be more concerned about the by now no doubt considerable quantity of potassium hydroxide and its resultant potassium carbonate crystals filling the case...   :scared:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #78295 on: December 29, 2020, 05:04:23 pm »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78296 on: December 29, 2020, 05:10:00 pm »
Oh joy. Even more irritating when they don't bother to communicate. Human race is terrible :(

I know it's stupid but it actually weighs on me.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/85d528ba-1396-4db3-8309-74f5bffde46e#JjQ_li3hKG_.copy

;)

mnem
"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog. BTW, my dog's a complete asshole." >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78297 on: December 29, 2020, 05:20:00 pm »
SNIP

David

David

Some of us are having rejected/security issues with JPegs is and I haven't looked for a reason with my 12 month old install of irfanview. Waiting for a response from Dave or Gnif.

Image Resizer PowerToy still works. ;)   https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

I've had a few jpg images saved off the web trigger this response (no, not disguised heic, just plain jpg) lately, even tho less than 100kB. Open in Paint, save as .jpg and Voila! no problems; even tho sometimes the file is bigger than before.  :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: BravoV

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78298 on: December 29, 2020, 05:25:15 pm »

Appealing it!

Auction had explicitly no returns on it which is not against ebay policy plus I'm not a B2C transaction so aren't even covered by return legislation. I don't get it. I'm not Amazon Wardrobe ffs. Seller is well within his rights to sell it again if it's a problem!

Did you call and actually talk to a person over it? I dunno aboot over there, but in the US that often makes a world of difference.  :-//

If you're willing to sit on the phone queue as long as it takes to get to someone with a heartbeat, they already know you're not going away until you get some satisfaction.

mnem
Yet another reason Amazon is getting more and more of my business... ::)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 05:29:58 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78299 on: December 29, 2020, 05:29:47 pm »
Cant be arsed with it. I don't have a lot of stuff to get rid of now and it's all starting BIN anyway without any likely impact to auction final values :-//

Still got the £25 so fuck it that's all that matters  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf