Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16918042 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #78250 on: December 28, 2020, 10:47:33 pm »
Yes there is a Plessey SP630F in there, I suspect a tunnel diode is on the same board too (D1), can't confirm this as I don't have a manual and don't want unreadible crap from Mauritron, the other source emanualsbank is a scam.

David

Ugh tunnel diodes. Either that or Schottky diode. There was a similar one in the front end of some racal counters which was used for the AGC measurement of the preamp (which handily was stuffed out of the back panel and great for peaking RF circuits)

Should be easy enough to reverse engineer that however.

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #78251 on: December 29, 2020, 01:29:52 am »
The Racal 9839 UHF frequency meter/counter arrived earlier, packaging very poor as usual, thankfully no further damage other than what it already has. The 9839 has a pre-scaler for up to 560MHz & eight number readout bulbs in quite a compact size case and no fan.  8)
SNIP

I've already adjusted the +5V rail as it was around +5.2V.

David

I thought my Nixie one was beaten up  :o Front Panel before and after shot of my beasty. I seem to remember a mention of an 80MHz prescaler option too when I refurbished it but the site search SUCKS?

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #78252 on: December 29, 2020, 02:05:23 am »
Speaking of TLC required I just added this renovators delight to my long projects list :palm: Not switching on but hoping it is just a fuse and some IPA needed ...... eBay auction: #274621665402

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #78253 on: December 29, 2020, 03:32:00 am »
Oh dewed... 5 digit serial, so pretty early production, right?

Is this one of the ones where the whole front panel is made from that pigeon's blood crystal plastic, and all the markings are on aluminum plates bonded to it? Be extra careful... embrittlement is a bastard with that stuff.

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78254 on: December 29, 2020, 05:32:58 am »
Speaking of TLC required I just added this renovators delight to my long projects list :palm: Not switching on but hoping it is just a fuse and some IPA needed ...... eBay auction: #274621665402

If you get it going I have a PSU mod to increase it's long term stability. Something Fluke should have done when it was designed.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78255 on: December 29, 2020, 05:33:56 am »
Oh dewed... 5 digit serial, so pretty early production, right?

Is this one of the ones where the whole front panel is made from that pigeon's blood crystal plastic, and all the markings are on aluminum plates bonded to it? Be extra careful... embrittlement is a bastard with that stuff.

mnem
 :-/O

Nope, the front panel on those is stout. No worries.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78256 on: December 29, 2020, 05:38:40 am »
I would still order from AllTest even though they sometimes use stock photos. Just be aware of it. I have gotten screaming deals from them with no complaints. Their packaging is second to none. And as I see it if you do get a dud you can claim not as described.

In other news.....Lady Cop just left her house in route to Grand Central. She'll call me again when she's on the train.

You two keep being good to each other. ;)

EDIT: Yeah, but they used to be what I considered a "trusted source" as opposed to merely a "better than average crapshoot", if you know what I mean. It sucks that had to go away... another victim of "The 2020 Tsunami of Suck..."

Seeing as you're in the same zone with Alltest, I suspect shipping may be a bit saner for you. What is typical for something this size?

mnem
*currently hoeing out my drawers*

For that HP scope $27.97 shipping and once AllTest ships it I get it the next day via FedEx.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78257 on: December 29, 2020, 05:40:34 am »
USPS Fail. The distance between Tonopah, Arizona and Phoenix, Arizona is approximately 50 miles. It took 5 days to go those 50 miles.  :palm: And USPS is still predicting delivery on the 26th but does admit it's delayed. What a joke.  |O

This is a gray light filter for the Type 535A scope.

This is turning into an epic fail. It didn't finally LEAVE Phoenix until yesterday. No update today. I guess it's coming via a Mexican leading a jackass.  ::) |O

Yeah, they seem to be pretty hosed up this season.  I just today got some Molex crimpers off the 'bay that shipped from Maryland on the 18th; original expected delivery date was the 22nd.  Guess they're a bit behind on the drag curve.  I'll cut them a little bit of slack; it has been a rather unprecedented year shipping-wise.

-Pat

Uhhhh... yeah. 

I guess you weren't aware that your Postmaster General had most of the mainline sorting machines "decommissioned for refresh" in critical hub sorting centers across the US... conveniently just after the press reported a massive uptick in mail-in voting and demands for mail-in votes, and with no requisitions for replacement hardware either on the books or planned.  :palm:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/photos-show-mail-sorting-machines-parts-us-postal/story?id=72468917

mnem
Every last one of them... chosen to destroy the office they occupied, not to serve in it.

I'm aware that USPS did this which just shows how out of reality they are.  :palm:

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #78258 on: December 29, 2020, 06:04:31 am »
A bit of Aus TEA / volt-nut sharing going on. A full 'museum grade' HP 3403C ie fully working, no blemishes with all the feet/ isolating bush etc between myself and another forum member, found its way to my collection, Thanks Lou.
de Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, beanflying, factory, Kosmic, syau, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #78259 on: December 29, 2020, 06:52:30 am »
      Left side finished. Looking good, fits the 54645A like it was made for it. Which it was. ;) Now printing right side. :-+

mnem
*wanders off in search of caffeine*
Uggh. 14 hour print... test fit and I find I made a 5mm error on one of the walls, which put the rear foot pocket offset wrong by 5mm.  :palm:  Now printing V2.

The Role of Failure in Design, ehhh...?  ;)

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 07:12:12 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78260 on: December 29, 2020, 09:11:12 am »
A full 'museum grade' HP 3403C ie fully working, no blemishes with all the feet/ isolating bush etc

The slow/fast knob looks suspiciously Yaesu FT-101 like :-//
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78261 on: December 29, 2020, 10:10:21 am »
They are all wrong, they should be the grey knobs. The larger ones do not look like HP ones anyway.

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78262 on: December 29, 2020, 10:42:55 am »
      Left side finished. Looking good, fits the 54645A like it was made for it. Which it was. ;) Now printing right side. :-+

mnem
*wanders off in search of caffeine*
Uggh. 14 hour print... test fit and I find I made a 5mm error on one of the walls, which put the rear foot pocket offset wrong by 5mm.  :palm:  Now printing V2.

The Role of Failure in Design, ehhh...?  ;)

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\
Well better put a sign up with the theme of 3D printing designers worldwide -  "It'll fit next time"

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78263 on: December 29, 2020, 11:01:43 am »
Oh fun. eBay fucktard time. Sold a decent quality Berghaus fleece on 6th November. Silence, no feedback, nothing. Got a return case opened this morning saying it was too small  :palm: :palm:. Original item listed as no returns. Seriously pisses me off these chancers do.

Bloody humans!  >:(

Not quite as bad as the idiot who couldn’t work out how to use a frequency counter though.

Edit: also the fat bastard that ate all the apples off my tree is now taunting me  :-DD

« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 11:16:02 am by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78264 on: December 29, 2020, 11:17:57 am »
Oh fun. eBay fucktard time. Sold a decent quality Berghaus fleece on 6th November. Silence, no feedback, nothing. Got a return case opened this morning saying it was too small  :palm: :palm:. Original item listed as no returns. Seriously pisses me off these chancers do.

Bloody humans!  >:(

Not quite as bad as the idiot who couldn’t work out how to use a frequency counter though.
Probably brought it to wear out to some Christmas function, which got cancelled and so now they want their money back as well  :palm: I think I have found a con merchant on Shpock, since paying for the Handtek handheld scope, I have not heard a peep from the seller, glad I used their buying service, of course, they could a Covid victim  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78265 on: December 29, 2020, 11:24:40 am »
Yep likely. Looks like eBay just closed the return case. Bet I get a negative feedback.

Probably just an unreliable dickhead. Plenty of them around. Had similar problems extracting that 87V kit out of the seller. Perpetual excuses.

Local cafe owner here was one of those sorts of people. Ripped off someone for an iPhone. There was suddenly a sustained campaign against her for that. Posters put up everywhere, shitposts daily on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Business went completely down the toilet  :-DD  Best case of karma I’ve seen for years  :-DD

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #78266 on: December 29, 2020, 11:26:30 am »
Mother of God...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, FransW, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78267 on: December 29, 2020, 11:27:25 am »
Looks like the inside of a children’s toy  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78268 on: December 29, 2020, 11:36:58 am »
Mother of God...
Thats actually quite mild compared to some I've seen. Most likely clean up quite well, some soapy hot water and an old toothbrush, fibre glass pen, IPA and then a light smearing with petroleum jelly should keep it going for a while, unless you can swap out the battery holder?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #78269 on: December 29, 2020, 11:41:11 am »
There's nothing holy about that...

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78270 on: December 29, 2020, 11:43:35 am »
Mother of God...
Thats actually quite mild compared to some I've seen. Most likely clean up quite well, some soapy hot water and an old toothbrush, fibre glass pen, IPA and then a light smearing with petroleum jelly should keep it going for a while, unless you can swap out the battery holder?

Heh, of the batteries has just disintegrated. Like, only the plastic holds the remains together.

Can't replace the compartment, integral part of the housing.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78271 on: December 29, 2020, 11:48:38 am »
And the cunt left negative feedback. First negative feedback!  >:(

Appealing it!

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78272 on: December 29, 2020, 11:56:36 am »
Know the feeling. My own personal dickwad didn't even bother to reply.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78273 on: December 29, 2020, 11:57:54 am »
Oh joy. Even more irritating when they don't bother to communicate. Human race is terrible :(

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78274 on: December 29, 2020, 12:00:12 pm »
Mother of God...

Heh, of the batteries has just disintegrated. Like, only the plastic holds the remains together.

Can't replace the compartment, integral part of the housing.

Quite a mess, hopefully it'll clean up OK, got the larger version of those batteries in my shed radio & a torch.
I've cleaned my brother's front bike light twice now (picture taken after I started to wash them), last time was a nice way to remember Maplin's.  :-DD

David

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf