Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18103326 times)

dxl, Jambalaya, TSCOLAN and 39 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #77950 on: December 23, 2020, 07:08:03 pm »
It was bound to happen. She has an arthritic hip and knees. And that injury she sustained last year breaking up that fight has had lasting effects.

As far as me just showing up. Ah..no.  :P You don't understand. We are dealing with a fiercely independent black woman. She hates having someone fuss over her. She'll just want to go home tonight and sleep it off for a few days. But trust me, when she's ready to have me come down and give her a hand I won't even need a phone to get that message.  :-DD 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #77951 on: December 23, 2020, 07:11:00 pm »
med, best wishes from the other side of the pond. I suspect she will feel better as soon as you arrive at her place - you are part of her healing process. Positive energy and all that...

Good luck to both of you!

Greetings,

Rainer

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77952 on: December 23, 2020, 07:33:08 pm »
So I've been having a PSU failure day. Was working with a synchro test set running off a little vintage Ferranti 115V 400Hz inverter. Inverter powered by a 360W variable bench supply (Farnell G30-12 in a box with meters etc) set to 28V. Suddenly the inverter stops (no 400Hz whine from test set) and input current goes to 10A  :-BROKE
Switched off quickly, disconnected the inverter and checked the DC supply - all OK.
No info on the inverter, I don't even know it's rating, but opened it up to have a look 4 TO3 power transistors a couple of power diodes, some magnetics and a PCB wit small transistors R's C's and a mistery black epoxy potted block with about 15 wires coming out. Anyway quick check of TO3's (3 x 2N3772 and one house marked) showed a probable short. Disconnecting emitter and base confirmed a C-E short on of the 2N3772's. Coudn't find one in my workshop stash and it's tipping dowon so not going out to the garage. Circuit around two of the transistors, including the shorted one, is clearly switching the ends of a centertapped transformer primary to ground. Clearly not parameter critical and as I had a couple of 2N6338's handy I replaced both the 2N3772's.
Switched the mains on the DC supply on, before connecting inverter, and there is a flash and a bang and that dies  :-BROKE.

The DC supply's mans switch failed "ON" a few months ago and I replaced it. It's a minature 5A toggle. After about a month the replacement failed. Getting suspicious I fitted a double pole switch with a 1R in series with each pole. I think the flash-bang was the resistors. The G-series PSUs have RIFA's built in and I think the X cap is breaking down and self healing at switch on.  No smoke yet thankfully. I'll investigate that later.

So stuck the inverter on a fixed 28V DC supply and at least that is working  :-+
The 2N6338 is a reasonable upgrade from the 2N3772. More than twice the Vceo with lower saturation voltage, higher gain and IC. The 30 odd percent lower saturation voltage will reduce the dissipation quite a bit too.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 08:06:52 pm by Robert763 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77953 on: December 23, 2020, 07:34:19 pm »
Med, my thoughts are with you both, anything happening at Christmastime always sucks even harder, still it could be worse, you could be like us in the London and SouthEast England effectively in lockdown and mixing with anyone is strictly a NO NO.

Lets hope that she suffers no major problems from this fall and makes a speedy recovery, keep your chin up and positive thoughts.  :o
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #77954 on: December 23, 2020, 07:47:59 pm »
In other news. UPS finally showed up. About 2 hours later than they normally do. That's to be expected with the Christmas rush so they get a free pass.

Anyway, the Type 503 PSU capacitor BOM is here. I was going to start on this next week but given that my plans have gone to crap I may actually start on it tomorrow if the mood strikes me.  :-\

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #77955 on: December 23, 2020, 08:37:24 pm »
@med best wishes to your lady cop. May she have no lasting effects, no concussion, and may she heal quickly. Go, be with her if you get a chance.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77956 on: December 23, 2020, 08:43:39 pm »
@med6753 sorry to hear that. Thoughts are with you both here. As usual 2020 just keeps giving  :(

Just got back from doing my “tier 4 support rounds”. Did 300 miles moving random shit around for the family. Total nightmare but someone’s got to do it. Managed to lift a childhood toy off my mother who had dug it out. 100% complete Lego 6990 space monorail. Last complete one went for £440 on eBay  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #77957 on: December 23, 2020, 08:58:41 pm »
I concur, 2020 is a crap year which should be struck from the calendar.
In ancient times we sacrificed our leaders to appease the gods. I think we should reestablish this custom.

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, Andy Watson, SilverSolder, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77958 on: December 23, 2020, 09:03:20 pm »
Agree entirely.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77959 on: December 23, 2020, 09:08:56 pm »
Hey mnementh, you found fame at last on this side of the water on BBC TV  :-+ https://twitter.com/i/status/1341743010518867968
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #77960 on: December 23, 2020, 09:21:59 pm »
100% complete Lego 6990 space monorail.

Box and instructions too? Thats rare.

Knee-deep in season preparations here. Big day is tomorrow in our variant of rituals; Christmas Day is for recovering. Been cleaning and cooking and carrying Amazon and other packages back and fro.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77961 on: December 23, 2020, 09:22:10 pm »
Back to TEA,
Put a lowball offer on a Gould Advance OS250 10MHz Oscilloscope and it got accepted.
Why you ask? Because I found my old CRT Clock module last night and want to give it a permanent display. The OS250 while only 10MHz bandwidth actually has a fairly decent 5" flat face CRT with post deflection acceration and is solid state apart from the CRT. 
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284121566473
CRT is D13-610GH Most 5" flat face tubes sell for more than I paid for the whole 'scope.

Also waiting delivery of a GPO Meter 14C AKA SEI Selectest Super 50 MkII cus I don't have a big analog meter and the AVO 8 is too common and overpriced.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #77962 on: December 23, 2020, 09:25:29 pm »
@Med:

Oh, crap. Tell her that your little gang of crazy men and women around the globe are holding their thumbs firmly.

And, I concur. What a shitty year. I normally don't do winter and darkness too well, and having to do it at home won't help much.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #77963 on: December 23, 2020, 09:28:52 pm »
Just got a text. She's home, safe.  :-+

I asked her how she felt and didn't get an answer. Not surprising. I know her. She's in no mood for chit chat. That's OK. Knowing she's home is enough for now.  :-+

As soon as I know more I'll pass it on. Thanks everyone for your concern.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Brumby, BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, beanflying, mansaxel, Saskia, kleiner Rainer

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77964 on: December 23, 2020, 10:08:12 pm »
Thats a bit of good news, glad to hear that Med at least she won't be stuck in hospital for Christmas, I imagine that must suck. It looks like us Brits might have a good Christmas cheer after all if the rumours of a break through in the trade deal are real, it might make 2020 a little better after all.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77965 on: December 23, 2020, 10:30:38 pm »
It’s all boris bullshit

https://youtu.be/gKOo8rd6T7s

The agreement is 2000 pages long apparently and the outcome is we will be arguing over the details for 20 years.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #77966 on: December 23, 2020, 10:33:54 pm »
@med: my best wishes for both of you from my side. I hope, she'll get well soon, keep my fingers crossed.

@mnem: so you like Slackwyrm, eh?   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77967 on: December 23, 2020, 11:40:15 pm »
Med,

Sorry to hear this. This year has been so bad in many ways to many people! Hope she will recover soon.

Just heard a good friend's mom has passed away back home. I am sure he feels bad not being able to go for the funeral. Life sucks  :-\

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77968 on: December 23, 2020, 11:49:18 pm »
I think we will all remember Christmas 2020 for ever and here is a festive song to help the memory live on even longer  :-DD :-DD

https://youtu.be/r3mPaJcXRWI

Here is a public Announcement for you.

https://youtu.be/x1TXNNUMdYI
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 12:02:07 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77969 on: December 24, 2020, 12:11:05 am »
Fancy a good laugh?

https://youtu.be/avEZNcfS6Oc
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #77970 on: December 24, 2020, 12:15:32 am »
Okies... just a momentary lapse of reason with SMF; [SHIFT]-Reload cured my posting problem. :P

mnem
*wanders off to do something productive*
liberate a neighboring country ?

I wish. Trying to fix borked legs on my bedframe which got effed up by kids and wife "TV time"... :palm:

I've added a few gussets in hopes of preventing future recidivism; I doubt I can do anything to prevent TV time...  Currently printing up some replacement tube feet; got both printers going. I might actually get to sleep tonight. :-DD

mnem
Thinking maybe The Kranks had the right idea; skip Christmas, go on a Caribbean Cruise... :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #77971 on: December 24, 2020, 12:46:48 am »
In ancient times we sacrificed our leaders to appease the gods. I think we should reestablish this custom.

"Sacrifice" implies undue haste. "Lingering" would be more appropriate. Anthills should be involved.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77972 on: December 24, 2020, 12:52:16 am »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77973 on: December 24, 2020, 01:04:32 am »
@med: my best wishes for both of you from my side. I hope, she'll get well soon, keep my fingers crossed.

@mnem: so you like Slackwyrm, eh?   :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 01:06:04 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77974 on: December 24, 2020, 01:39:42 am »

"Sacrifice" implies undue haste. "Lingering" would be more appropriate. Anthills should be involved.

Weedeaters. Barrel of turps. Angry badgers thrown at the face; random intervals.

mnem
Still no reason one can't include the anthill tho... maybe a trail of honey up the barrel to a strategically draped string...?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf