Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18104995 times)

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #77525 on: December 17, 2020, 06:36:50 pm »
hey dragon......a question for you.  (since you are the go to guy for stuff that has been stressed beyond the norm).

how would you deal with this?

please don't offer a solution that requires a 3d printer.  don't have one.....am not gonna' get one.

am thinking bondo or some other automotive patch or maybe something involving pop rivets.

don't expect it to look like new, or even close. (just something that will keep dust out and prevent people from sticking their fingers in).

(others on this thread will no doubt offer that it is a perfect opportunity to install a fan)
free range primate

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #77526 on: December 17, 2020, 06:43:13 pm »
you could make a form out of silicone or similar, put in some fibreglass mats plus the proper amount of epoxy to model the missing piece and glue it in using a single layer of glass mat on the inside plus the proper amount of filler and jb-weld.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, nixiefreqq

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77527 on: December 17, 2020, 06:59:20 pm »
Do that and you'll end up in BD's cellar along with the street mime artistes and human statues.  >:D

And the crusty jugglers!

Nah, they're easy to deal with. Just wait until they do a trick with passing involved, and swap a painted, live hand grenade for the apple/orange/ball that they toss to you. If you ever see a person running away full tilt from a group of people watching a juggler...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #77528 on: December 17, 2020, 07:07:47 pm »
Here's a few TDR pictures of a homemade 5m RG174 cable:
- Full length at default scale
- Full length at 5x vert. zoom
- zoomed into the reflections caused by the connector (this is a better one in terms of cables I've readily available).

Looks like you got a decent LCD there!

Also looks like you could tweak the propagation velocity.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #77529 on: December 17, 2020, 07:12:17 pm »
But hey... lets talk aboot how dangerous my little flashlight is, when it literally encases already steel-armored cylindrical cells in another 10-13mm of billet aluminum armor. :palm:

mnem
 :bullshit:
That just turns it into a pipe bomb instead of an incendary because it's sealed. That was a major issue with the Boeing 787 Lithium battery, they didn't vent the case.
Of course you will now say it's not sealed in your usual circular argument way.
I give up  |O |O |O |O |O

And what, pray tell, is going to make it explode...? These are modern cylindrical cells, not LiPos or high-density prismatic cells. Maybe you need to learn a little more aboot the differences in cell types, and how the technology, particularly cylindrical cells, has changed in the last couple decades before you make such sweeping statements. Seriously. 

I was the guy everybody in my model aviation groups said was being too alarmist over the dangers of LiPo technology... particularly aboot parallel charging at high currents. I am not careless with this technology; I am rabidly overcautious. And I am still not the least bit afraid to carry these devices on my person.

I still maintain that Li-xx cylindrical cells are a mature technology, and erg for erg, no more hazardous than a low-iR sub-C NiCd. You can take that any way you like it; tho I'm sure you will take it in the worst way possible. :-//

mnem
:palm:
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 07:26:58 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77530 on: December 17, 2020, 07:19:58 pm »
787 battery was Li-ion not LiPo
Lots of E-cig issues and they arn't LiPo either

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77531 on: December 17, 2020, 07:26:12 pm »
hey dragon......a question for you.  (since you are the go to guy for stuff that has been stressed beyond the norm).

how would you deal with this?

please don't offer a solution that requires a 3d printer.  don't have one.....am not gonna' get one.

am thinking bondo or some other automotive patch or maybe something involving pop rivets.

don't expect it to look like new, or even close. (just something that will keep dust out and prevent people from sticking their fingers in).

(others on this thread will no doubt offer that it is a perfect opportunity to install a fan)

One for me. Get a hot air gun a pack of dental wax sheets. Like these:

Warm one side of a sheet of wax, until it's just shy of melting and press it firmly on a flat part of the case that has the same textured finish as the area you want to fill in. Let it cool, lift off carefully.

Cut out a wedge that will let you close the sheet into a basic corner shape, Then warm the whole sheet so that it is pliable. Mould the sheet around the corner matching the existing shape as closely as possible. Melt the edges to the case, let cool, and then cover and firmly attach it to the case with parcel tape, masking tape, or Gaffer tape to taste. You should then have a mould that you can fill from the inside with Bondo and some reinforcing fibre sheet material (glassfibre, carbon fibre, whatever).

You might need a few practice runs first until you get a mould that you're happy with.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Neomys Sapiens, nixiefreqq

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77532 on: December 17, 2020, 07:32:52 pm »
787 battery was Li-ion not LiPo Lots of E-cig issues and they arn't LiPo either

787 battery was high-density prismatic cells. The e-cig "issues" are primarily from modders deliberately exceeding the safe discharge rates of the cells, and not explosions, but rather wires melting and/or burning. No different from similar meltdowns that happen just as easily with low-iR NiCds. Now you're blaming the technology for the stupidity of ElectroBoomers.

mnem
 |O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77534 on: December 17, 2020, 07:46:29 pm »

787 battery was high-density prismatic cells. The e-cig "issues" are primarily from modders deliberately exceeding the safe discharge rates of the cells, and not explosions, but rather wires melting and/or burning. No different from similar meltdowns that happen just as easily with low-iR NiCds. Now you're blaming the technology for the stupidity of ElectroBoomers.

mnem
 |O

is that really a thing?  what advantage is there in modding an e-cig? 
free range primate

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77535 on: December 17, 2020, 07:51:13 pm »

how would you deal with this? please don't offer a solution that requires a 3d printer.  don't have one.....am not gonna' get one.  am thinking bondo or some other automotive patch or maybe something involving pop rivets.  don't expect it to look like new, or even close. (just something that will keep dust out and prevent people from sticking their fingers in).

Thanks for the compliment... I think. ;) I'm going to take a moment to get this over with: Uncle Bumblebutt!

Now that we can move forward... hmmm. This one is not as simple as it may appear. It looks like the build and proximity to internal chassis does NOT allow much room for matting inside.

Not knowing what kind of plastic this is, I'd be leery of Bondo or Gorilla-hair type polyester body fillers. Some plastics will not bond at all, and some melt horribly. Also, I'm not a chemistry wonk (C could probably tell you with a fair measure of certainty, if you can tell him what kind of plastic); my recent failure with solvent-welding my 54645A proves that.  :palm:

Let me think on this for a moment... a few more pics of what is inside would help me devise a battle plan.

Also... this is on a molding seam, not an actual joint in the case, right?

mnem

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #77536 on: December 17, 2020, 08:02:42 pm »
And stolen from the Facebook Tek Group....

Who thought this was a good idea? Talk about having your head up your ass. And how did it make it through the corporate structure? Some executive must have liked it and everyone brown nosed him.  :P

Can you imagine today's roving Snap-On dealer talking about and trying to sell this with a straight face?

Asscilloscope and bargain basement colonoscopies.     :-DD

That made me laugh out loud  :-DD

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77537 on: December 17, 2020, 08:03:22 pm »

- zoomed into the reflections caused by the connector (this is a better one in terms of cables I've readily available).
Thanks a lot! That was helpful.

P.S.: You made me want one. My S.O. might be inclined to exact physical harm onto you.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, capt bullshot

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77538 on: December 17, 2020, 08:04:19 pm »

mnem
 |O
is that really a thing?  what advantage is there in modding an e-cig?

Yes, it is a thing... a big thing. See that gold 14500 cell there? It is a low-iR/high C-Rate, high-capacity cell made for modding e-Cigs.

There's a whole "hacker" culture around the things; custom chambers, hand-wound heater coils, high-discharge batteries... all to maximize the vape "hit" so you can inhale as much of the ichor as possible as deeply into your lungs as possible.  :palm: These are used both for "custom-blended" (read: highly concentrated dosages-in many cases 100x as much as you can get from a cigarette) nicotine vape elixirs and THC-bearing (cannabis) syrups as well.

Yeah, RJR is laughing all the way to the bank.  |O

mnem
nice pants.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77539 on: December 17, 2020, 08:08:19 pm »
Also used for burning the dicks off Darwin award candidates

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77540 on: December 17, 2020, 08:13:15 pm »

how would you deal with this? please don't offer a solution that requires a 3d printer.  don't have one.....am not gonna' get one.  am thinking bondo or some other automotive patch or maybe something involving pop rivets.  don't expect it to look like new, or even close. (just something that will keep dust out and prevent people from sticking their fingers in).

Thanks for the compliment... I think. ;) I'm going to take a moment to get this over with: Uncle Bumblebutt!

Now that we can move forward... hmmm. This one is not as simple as it may appear. It looks like the build and proximity to internal chassis does NOT allow much room for matting inside.

Not knowing what kind of plastic this is, I'd be leery of Bondo or Gorilla-hair type polyester body fillers. Some plastics will not bond at all, and some melt horribly. Also, I'm not a chemistry wonk (C could probably tell you with a fair measure of certainty, if you can tell him what kind of plastic); my recent failure with solvent-welding my 54645A proves that.  :palm:

Let me think on this for a moment... a few more pics of what is inside would help me devise a battle plan.

Also... this is on a molding seam, not an actual joint in the case, right?

mnem

have not pulled the trigger on it......yet.  was not scared off by what might be inside the enclosure.....but that big missing chunk gave me pause.  (you might be able to guess where it is listed from this picture)

edit...  on the subject of modding vapes.  WTF is wrong with people?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 08:19:20 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #77541 on: December 17, 2020, 08:15:25 pm »
should I take the strat instead ?

Strativarius or Stratocaster ?

(mis-spelling for comic effect, or maybe not...)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77542 on: December 17, 2020, 08:17:42 pm »
Stratocaster ...

Got a Fender and and ESP. But I'm better with the didgeridoo.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #77543 on: December 17, 2020, 08:19:16 pm »

Looks like you got a decent LCD there!

Also looks like you could tweak the propagation velocity.

The LCD isn't the original one. It's a modern TFT colour display (part of a STM32 discovery kit). I fitted this as a replacement for the borked original LCD.

Yes, it's got a setting for vp, there's a table of common vp in the help menu available.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #77544 on: December 17, 2020, 08:28:07 pm »

Thanks a lot! That was helpful.

P.S.: You made me want one. My S.O. might be inclined to exact physical harm onto you.

This one is even more fun. Alas, I don't have the correct sampling head (S-6 instead of S-4).

Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: bd139, factory

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #77545 on: December 17, 2020, 08:33:06 pm »
Any thoughts on $500 CAD for a pair of supposedly working Tek 422 & 454a scopes?
The pictures showing a trace look more like noise than an actual signal.
My thought is this price is much too high, but would half that be too much Ferengi.
I also have to consider travel distance; they are closer to Dwagon-land than to here.
Also, SWMBO would certainly object to the space taken up by two of the same thing.

I could be just looking for anything to break the drought on TE up here; a nixxie frequency counter would be a better acquisition but I still have never seen one...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77546 on: December 17, 2020, 08:41:17 pm »
Whinge mode on:
How hard could it be?
Some battery powered LED lights (actually 14 in total) used to mood light a veranda area just outside the living room, they are chewing through 40 AA batteries every month at 5hrs/day run time.
Two current limited supplies, two series wiring harnesses, removal of the battery case, two stainless steel 'balustrade' wire supports later and I have blown 16hrs.
Whinge mode off;

I am happy with the results - so is SWMBO.
😎

PS Isn't the lm317 a great jelly bean part!

Nice  :-+

Here's the hack job I did with my Christmas tree lights so I didn't get a massive bill. Old nokia USB charger + dropper resistors to knock off half a volt so it didn't run them so bright!

So technically I have USB Christmas tree lights  8)
Yep, exactly the same thing I did last year with a few of my battery sets of lights and lanterns. I also purchased a few of the multi USB outlet chargers, so I can plug 5 sets into the same charger. The intention was to continue that theme this year but SWMBO doesn't like the wires and wants batteries instead  :rant: :rant:

I suggested that maybe she would like to spend the £60 a year on the batteries then, which she of course declined, course she did. Oh well at least I only had to buy half the amount of batteries this year. I'll convert a few more over on the QT in locations close to a power outlet and the wires can be easily hidden so next year even fewer batteries to buy  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77547 on: December 17, 2020, 08:42:59 pm »
reading up on getting state recognition for my religion.

https://youtu.be/8UPUPDo20nM

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #77548 on: December 17, 2020, 08:52:11 pm »
Asscilloscope and bargain basement colonoscopies.     :-DD

Strap-On Anal-O-Scope? WTF!?... Does it have a NSF sticker at the back?  :-DD :-DD

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77549 on: December 17, 2020, 08:56:32 pm »

mnem
 |O
:bullshit:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf