Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16732472 times)

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #77225 on: December 12, 2020, 07:13:08 pm »
The Type 503 has differential inputs so 5kHz triangle wave on the left input, 5kHz sine wave on the right. That strange resultant waveform again. The weird math that I forgot what you guys called it.

It's not weird math, it's just every other sine inverted. Let me draw that for you:

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #77226 on: December 12, 2020, 07:16:10 pm »
You mean one of these thingies?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313019701145

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #77227 on: December 12, 2020, 07:33:29 pm »
Okay... for those who actually live the iLife... is there some unbelievably simple, should be obvious to a lobotomized prizefighter, "Why are you even bothering...?"
 solution to put a shortcut icon on the desktop of your iPud/iPwn to a specific folder on iCloud?

Because the solution I found using the Shortcuts widget is infuriatingly recursive and completely non-intuitive. |O

mnem
*toddles off to ded, dreams of family videos dancing on my head*
X-Y problem. This is the Y bit i.e. the proposed solution. What’s the X bit, the problem you are trying to solve?

I need a single button, labeled "Videos on iCloud", on the desktop that my dad can click to get to family vids loaded in a folder on iCloud. Photos is too complicated; as are all the fucking "gonna do everything for you whether you want it or not" apps, as is navigating with Files. This is something you can do in seconds with any other OS. :palm:

mnem
 |O

Ahha. Stick them in Photos app in an album then use shortcuts to create the following macro and assign a button to it on the Home Screen. So basic operation is find all the videos and the next one is run quick look on them all. It’ll give a gallery view for it.

Edit: this shit is sooo powerful. I use this instead of YouTube app. Script in YouTube-dl downloads stuff from my subs daily on the Mac and imports into photos app. I just play it on my phone in the morning :-+

Yeah, Photos is not simple enough for dad, it tries to do too much and pulls everything together into one pane, and if he accidentally touched the wrong item in the resultant dropdown directory tree he would be completely lost; also if he had to browse through some 700 photos and vids all clumped together his head would explode. I have a solution which invokes a Shortcut, which is then directed to the location address URL intended for sharing the folder in eMails.  :palm: It's just a fucking ass-backwards way to have to do shit because (I guess :-//) Ifni forbid a owner should actually be able to rename a fucking button on his/her iPud.  :palm:

mnem
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 07:35:43 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77228 on: December 12, 2020, 07:36:19 pm »
I’m quite happy with it not being renamed because it’s the same on every damn iPad then  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #77229 on: December 12, 2020, 07:37:20 pm »
9814  :)

(Attachment Link)

I wondered if any of us would be after those :) I considered it but I have too much on my plate at the moment, and couldn't find any manuals online.

What is the actual output voltage?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77230 on: December 12, 2020, 07:40:23 pm »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77231 on: December 12, 2020, 07:48:58 pm »
Hi guys, I need some advice from you. Well, I'm asking for a friend of mine (really!).

He has some difficulties with this constellation:

Mainboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 (90-YAA060-1UAN00Z)  --- TOS Link to ---> Denon AVR-1610

He doesn't get any kind of output at the Denon, but this setup worked for Win7

My question:
Is there something like a cheap protocol tester / checker for the TOS Link so that one can check easily the output?

I've found this, but this is more the opposite of "cheap".   :-DD

Thanks for your help.

Have him take a screenshot of what his default audio device is. I wouldn't be surprised if Windoze changed it from whatever his TOSlink out is connected to. Periodically an update will change my default audio output device to my monitor's internal decoder, even though A) it has no fucking speakers and 2) it's plugged into DisplayPort and NVIDIA's HD Audio over DisplayPort implementation is a complete fucking shitshow that literally breaks games. |O

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, wolfy007, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77232 on: December 12, 2020, 07:51:11 pm »
I’m quite happy with it not being renamed because it’s the same on every damn iPad then  :-DD

Yeah, I have the joy of essentially trying to remote administrate his iPud from here.  :palm:

mnem
*livin' tha dream*

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77233 on: December 12, 2020, 08:17:05 pm »
9814  :)

(Attachment Link)
Thats big ole chunk of British goodness right there, bet it weighs a lot  ;D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77234 on: December 12, 2020, 08:26:56 pm »
Currently building Gingerbread house and Locomotive with the kids. So far no fatalities, but there was a near-miss with a confectioner's piping bag.  :-DD

mnem
ho. ho. ho...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #77235 on: December 12, 2020, 08:28:12 pm »
@BU he may need to load the appropriate driver plus test program for the card and play with mute/unmute, the mixer, and all the corresponding audio settings.

Similar thing with my Xonar AV (which is most likely the predecessor, but wait, what's the exact version of the card anyway ?)

It's a shitshow configuring the multiple audio outputs on the Asus card, especially with the new Windows stuff.

Recommended DAC from my side: Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100. Inexpensive, and works most of the time, also has good quality output.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #77236 on: December 12, 2020, 08:28:48 pm »
just picked up a Rancilio Silvia to cater to my habit.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #77237 on: December 12, 2020, 08:49:56 pm »
and GIMP is the winner, adobe PS and its cloud subscription clown will go in the bin ASAP.
Redoing the cracked display of that very old radio which my dad loves.
How you can say no to him?

The challange is to print that on a plexiglass or similar with transparent area... one problem after the other...
what you guys do when you need to redo a display with transparent areas...basically graphics of glass?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 08:52:49 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77238 on: December 12, 2020, 08:56:17 pm »
and GIMP is the winner, adobe PS and its cloud subscription clown will go in the bin ASAP.

The challange is to print that on a plexiglass or similar with transparent area... one problem after the other...
what you guys do when you need to redo a display with transparent areas...basically graphics of glass?

Pay someone to screen print it  :-DD. Failing that toner transfer works quite well.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #77239 on: December 12, 2020, 08:59:58 pm »
Just me and the Germans on Discord then...   :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #77240 on: December 12, 2020, 09:07:27 pm »
It's 10 minutes I see only discord starting rotating icon.....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77241 on: December 12, 2020, 09:08:33 pm »
Be along shortly. It’s my eldest’s birthday today.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #77242 on: December 12, 2020, 09:10:45 pm »
Looks like, that this one isn't produced anymore:

https://www.nti-audio.com/en/products/digilyzer-dl1

Edit:
Looks like, there is something like a DIY checker:
https://www.elektormagazine.com/magazine/elektor-200202/17199
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 09:14:07 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77243 on: December 12, 2020, 09:14:46 pm »

Don't know how much it would cost but you could get a replacement dial made here;
https://www.bendijkman.nl/

If you could set GIMP to save forum uploads as JPG's that would help those of us that use pay-as-you-go on their phones.  :-+

David

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77244 on: December 12, 2020, 09:30:29 pm »
So why does the Type 503 use a 6DQ6A beam power tube? I have the answer. It utilizes a vacuum tube SMS supply.  :o Those clever Tek engineers. See the schematics. Transformer T601 supplies the tube heater voltages plus the +500V plate voltage to the 6DQ6A. That tube is fed from the grid with an approx 30kHz pulse from the oscillator. That amplified 30kHz pulse is fed to transformer T620 which in turn supplies all the PSU voltages plus the HV. The only disadvantage I see to this is that the 6DQ6A is passing a lot of current and is going to run hot. And this scope has no fan. We'll have to see how warm it gets.

And also, check out C682 and C684. Paralleled capacitors. As I mentioned before I've see this often on Tek equipment. Why it's done I don't know. But I will replace them with a single capacitor of 22uF and 82uF.

Some vintage TV's do use the flyback transformer to provide other supplies as well as the HT, it rather reminds me of the TV resurrection videos on youtube, Shango066 has some weak horizontal output tubes to use in case of faults that would quickly red-plate & ruin an expensive tube* & sometimes the damper tube too.

*having said that the 6DQ6A doesn't seem one of the more expensive ones.

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77245 on: December 12, 2020, 09:37:54 pm »
Mouser arrived. A modern 8,2 µF capacitor is very small compared to the prehistoric one in the 410b, which I of course coulda seen from the various recap subthreads in here, just under the blue paint.  I'm going to start with the new wiring loom, though.

It would be interesting to know if the original was actually faulty too, I've had the same low voltage one go open circuit in a pair of 412A's and a dual 400V one fail the same way in a 606B.

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77246 on: December 12, 2020, 09:46:02 pm »
A reasonably priced HP 5245L in the US if anyone is interested;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164568072284

The 5245L in the UK seems to have very quickly been relisted after selling to a zero feedback bidder,
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333820686298 , I'm a bit suspicious the seller is using other accounts to run up the price as several lots have been relisted after selling. Normally if someone doesn't pay it takes a while before you can complete the dispute process and then relist the item.  :-//
David
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 09:57:10 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77247 on: December 12, 2020, 09:47:56 pm »

You can print onto transparencies, the archetypical overhead projector 'acetate', and then attach that to a sheet of acrylic with one of the UV setting glues used for bonding mobile phone displays. Quite easy to find the glue in small quantities on ebay. Needs a few practice runs on test prices to get the technique of doing it without entrapping bubbles of air.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77248 on: December 12, 2020, 09:52:32 pm »
I want to see, what's coming out of the PC. My assumption is, that the Denon is working fine (needs probably a firmware upgrade)
Basically, I cannot check for myself because he is living in Vienna and as per him, he checked the lights of the TOS link. They are on.

I’d buy a TOSlink DAC / converter off eBay or Amazon and plug that into it and see what happens. They are about £10 a go.

99% sure if it’s an OS change it’s audio setting somewhere though.

Wouldn't at all surprise me if Windows was the cause, had that with Dell laptop here, the audio ended up sounding crackly through the built in speakers & line out after an update, making us think it had a hardware fault, rolling the audio driver back to an older version fixed it.

David

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #77249 on: December 12, 2020, 10:40:56 pm »
https://www.bendijkman.nl/

If you could set GIMP to save forum uploads as JPG's that would help those of us that use pay-as-you-go on their phones.  :-+

Sooo close!

Many thanks David

The following users thanked this post: factory

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf