Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16735470 times)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #77200 on: December 12, 2020, 11:54:10 am »
Looking good with the 503. Watching with interest.

Finished GTA V and Watchdogs Legion this evening. Bucket list slowly reducing  :scared:

Toughen up play GTA Online and avoid the modding skum next  >:D Or Red Dead is on special this week  :-DD

I just go on killing sprees in GTA online and end up getting headshot until I leave the server  :-DD

The intense concentration required to be gamer for some reason overloads my pea brain and gives me a headache. Even the original 1st generation pong.  :-DD

It's all those ancestors fuelled only by spuds and Poitín, it leads to a state of mind where the words 'tomorrow' and 'mañana' take on a sense of burning urgency.  :)

Yep, genetics can be your own worst enemy sometimes.  :o

Edit, but at least we were republicans.  :P :P :-DD
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 11:56:44 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #77201 on: December 12, 2020, 11:54:54 am »
From my dad's lab in Italy.
Old stuff, crusty!

Do you smell that too? ahhh old electrons....

That is a bit crispy and in a bad way! Looks like it is a nice instrument though.

I love the smell of old electrons in the morning.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #77202 on: December 12, 2020, 12:35:41 pm »
Okay... for those who actually live the iLife... is there some unbelievably simple, should be obvious to a lobotomized prizefighter, "Why are you even bothering...?"
 solution to put a shortcut icon on the desktop of your iPud/iPwn to a specific folder on iCloud?

Because the solution I found using the Shortcuts widget is infuriatingly recursive and completely non-intuitive. |O

mnem
*toddles off to ded, dreams of family videos dancing on my head*
X-Y problem. This is the Y bit i.e. the proposed solution. What’s the X bit, the problem you are trying to solve?

I need a single button, labeled "Videos on iCloud", on the desktop that my dad can click to get to family vids loaded in a folder on iCloud. Photos is too complicated; as are all the fucking "gonna do everything for you whether you want it or not" apps, as is navigating with Files. This is something you can do in seconds with any other OS. :palm:

mnem
 |O
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 03:19:31 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77203 on: December 12, 2020, 12:48:16 pm »
From my dad's lab in Italy.
Old stuff, crusty!

Do you smell that too? ahhh old electrons....

That is a bit crispy and in a bad way! Looks like it is a nice instrument though.

I love the smell of old electrons in the morning.  :-DD

Smells like VICTORY!!!  :-DD

mnem
I lick angry pixies very much. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77204 on: December 12, 2020, 04:13:03 pm »
*pokes thread widda stick*

mnem
*toddles off to do something, even if it's wrong*

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #77205 on: December 12, 2020, 04:16:11 pm »
Cleaning/deoxit of the pots/switches on the Type 503.

Most are in good shape. Biggest trouble spot was the Vertical Attenuator Switch deck. Always. Because it gets the most use and wear. The deck is located under this shield.

Three screws and the shield comes off. Since this is low bandwidth scope the switch assembly is conventional rotary. None of the fussy and PITA gold leaf switches in the 400 portables and the 7000 plug-in's. Deoxit is king here.

All fixed and stable. But I did notice that the vertical gain is off. That waveform should be a full 5 divisions high. No biggie. Will adjust after re-cap is complete. In the meantime continue to torture the scope with burn-ins to shake out any potential surprises.

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M, mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic, syau

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77206 on: December 12, 2020, 04:20:17 pm »
That is very nicely laid out inside with plenty of good access to the items that need to be serviced  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #77207 on: December 12, 2020, 04:24:16 pm »
That is very nicely laid out inside with plenty of good access to the items that need to be serviced  :-+

Unfortunately Tek lost their way in that regard. Especially with the 465/475 series. They are a nightmare to service.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77208 on: December 12, 2020, 04:29:38 pm »

Unfortunately Tek lost their way in that regard. Especially with the 465/475 series. They are a nightmare to service.
That is due I expect to the increasing complexity as more clever bits get added, increase in bandwidth and also trying to keep the overall size down to something that is reasonable to plonk on a bench and still be reasonably portable. To maintain the same degree of access as the 503, the 465/475 scopes would be about 3 to 5 times the size  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, scl, Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #77209 on: December 12, 2020, 04:37:49 pm »

That is due I expect to the increasing complexity as more clever bits get added, increase in bandwidth and also trying to keep the overall size down to something that is reasonable to plonk on a bench and still be reasonably portable. To maintain the same degree of access as the 503, the 465/475 scopes would be about 3 to 5 times the size  :palm:

True, to an extent. But those 465/475's could have more "modular" in construction to make it easier to remove boards/assemblies without extensive desoldering and other surprises. The 485 portable was a big step in the right direction concerning modular construction but it had it's "gotcha's" too, especially with the vertical output board. 

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77210 on: December 12, 2020, 04:39:16 pm »
I think they found their way again with the 2465, etc. Would be pretty much impossible to make the scope without the level of modularity they used. Note, the component density is another question altogether... and unobtanium bits are still a PITA. But considering the bleeding edge nature of the design... IMO, they are a lot fewer than they could have been. The only real design fail I see was the Siemens canister motor on the fan, which they did rid the later editions of pretty quickly.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 04:41:12 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #77211 on: December 12, 2020, 04:43:10 pm »
I think they found their way again with the 2465, etc. Would be pretty much impossible to make the scope without the level of modularity they used. Note, the component density is another question altogether... and unobtanium bits are still a PITA. But considering the bleeding edge nature of the design... IMO, they are a lot fewer than they could have been.

mnem
 :popcorn:

Agreed, the plain 2465 without the DMM and Counter/Trigger options is easy to service. But not so if you have those options. The "DMS" version is jammed full and not so bad to get apart....but the reassembly will make you pull out your hair.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, syau

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77212 on: December 12, 2020, 04:47:29 pm »
Yeah, I don't blame you for selling off the DMS module you had... lest you ever be tempted to upgrade a 24xx with it like... ever. :-DD

Simple self-preservation as I see it.  ;)

mnem
The road to Hell is paved with unfinished "upgrades"... >:D

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77213 on: December 12, 2020, 04:51:55 pm »

Imagine what flying would be like if airline seats had enough room to fit a 500 series scope underneath!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #77214 on: December 12, 2020, 05:00:25 pm »
Yeah, I don't blame you for selling off the DMS module you had... lest you ever be tempted to upgrade a 24xx with it like... ever. :-DD

mnem

Not sure what you are referring to. I have a functional 2465 DMS and a functional no option 2465. In addition I have a 2465 DMS parts mule in the TEA closet.

I think you are confusing it with a DM44 from a parts mule 465 that I sold.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #77216 on: December 12, 2020, 05:10:57 pm »

Imagine what flying would be like if airline seats had enough room to fit a 500 series scope underneath!

Yes, comfortable and relaxing with leg room rather than my knees against my chest.  :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77217 on: December 12, 2020, 05:32:44 pm »

mnem

Not sure what you are referring to. I have a functional 2465 DMS and a functional no option 2465. In addition I have a 2465 DMS parts mule in the TEA closet.

I think you are confusing it with a DM44 from a parts mule 465 that I sold.

D'oh! That is exactly what I did!  :-[

mnem
*toddles off to sacrifice himself to Deadpool*

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #77218 on: December 12, 2020, 06:34:14 pm »
The Type 503 has differential inputs so 5kHz triangle wave on the left input, 5kHz sine wave on the right. That strange resultant waveform again. The weird math that I forgot what you guys called it.

Tomorrow all the switches and pots get a good cleaning.

We engineers are calling this "combining two signals"   ;D  which is essentially the sum of two signals.
In this case for example:

f1(t) is a sine wave
f2(t) is a triangular function

and the result on the screen of your scope is simply  f1(t) + f2(t)

Example video for two other functions:

The Fourier-Transformation which you possibly might have thought of is a conversion algorithm from the time domain to the frequency domain.

:)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: syau

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #77219 on: December 12, 2020, 06:35:00 pm »
9814  :)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, capt bullshot, Neomys Sapiens, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77220 on: December 12, 2020, 06:51:50 pm »
Okay... for those who actually live the iLife... is there some unbelievably simple, should be obvious to a lobotomized prizefighter, "Why are you even bothering...?"
 solution to put a shortcut icon on the desktop of your iPud/iPwn to a specific folder on iCloud?

Because the solution I found using the Shortcuts widget is infuriatingly recursive and completely non-intuitive. |O

mnem
*toddles off to ded, dreams of family videos dancing on my head*
X-Y problem. This is the Y bit i.e. the proposed solution. What’s the X bit, the problem you are trying to solve?

I need a single button, labeled "Videos on iCloud", on the desktop that my dad can click to get to family vids loaded in a folder on iCloud. Photos is too complicated; as are all the fucking "gonna do everything for you whether you want it or not" apps, as is navigating with Files. This is something you can do in seconds with any other OS. :palm:

mnem
 |O

Ahha. Stick them in Photos app in an album then use shortcuts to create the following macro and assign a button to it on the Home Screen. So basic operation is find all the videos and the next one is run quick look on them all. It’ll give a gallery view for it.

Edit: this shit is sooo powerful. I use this instead of YouTube app. Script in YouTube-dl downloads stuff from my subs daily on the Mac and imports into photos app. I just play it on my phone in the morning :-+
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 06:59:32 pm by bd139 »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #77221 on: December 12, 2020, 06:55:33 pm »
Hi guys, I need some advice from you. Well, I'm asking for a friend of mine (really!).

He has some difficulties with this constellation:

Mainboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 (90-YAA060-1UAN00Z)  --- TOS Link to ---> Denon AVR-1610

He doesn't get any kind of output at the Denon, but this setup worked for Win7

My question:
Is there something like a cheap protocol tester / checker for the TOS Link so that one can check easily the output?

I've found this, but this is more the opposite of "cheap".   :-DD

Thanks for your help.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77222 on: December 12, 2020, 06:57:49 pm »
Are you testing the Denon input or the sound card output?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #77223 on: December 12, 2020, 07:07:35 pm »
I want to see, what's coming out of the PC. My assumption is, that the Denon is working fine (needs probably a firmware upgrade)
Basically, I cannot check for myself because he is living in Vienna and as per him, he checked the lights of the TOS link. They are on.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77224 on: December 12, 2020, 07:12:40 pm »
I want to see, what's coming out of the PC. My assumption is, that the Denon is working fine (needs probably a firmware upgrade)
Basically, I cannot check for myself because he is living in Vienna and as per him, he checked the lights of the TOS link. They are on.

I’d buy a TOSlink DAC / converter off eBay or Amazon and plug that into it and see what happens. They are about £10 a go.

99% sure if it’s an OS change it’s audio setting somewhere though.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf