Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16733803 times)

Carl_Smith and 75 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #77125 on: December 10, 2020, 11:09:00 pm »
Another great bit of UK weapon control. Had an email from neighborhood watch about a weapons surrender scheme. I clicked the link to find that apparently it will be illegal have one of these (pic below)
in your own home next year  :-// I didn't even know that it's already illegal to have one in public, make or sell one (no one told ebay)
Yes it's a kids toy, but  it meets the description here
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1988/2019/made
"the weapon sometimes known as a ‘blowpipe’ or ‘blow gun’, being a hollow tube out of which hard pellets or darts are shot by the use of breath;"
The one pictured even comes with ammunition! About the only vaid reason for having one would be if you were a wildlife vet and were using it to administer drugs.
The new law "Offensive Weapons Act 2019" https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/17/part/4/enacted
Now makes it illegal to own, even in private, a bunch of "weapons" that previously it was only illegal to carry in public, sell, buy or make. I can understand and agree with keeping weapons off the street and out of the hands of criminals but thi seems to just be a way of making conviction easier as they don't have to prove how you got it, just having it (there are some exemptions like antiques or work use) is an offence that you can be locked up for.
So if you are in the UK and have any unusual knives, batons, swords, throwing stars etc. you should have a look at this:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/offensive-weapons-act-surrender-and-compensation-scheme
If you have a at least three peashooters you bought before 2018 they are supposed to give you £14 each for them  :-DD
Nope it's a United Nations civilian disarmament initiative that all member nations that are signatories to are following.
Gubbermints that subscribe to this :bullshit: are worthy of the same amount of trust as the UN themselves.
Disarm populations and then you have absolute power !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Saskia

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #77126 on: December 10, 2020, 11:19:37 pm »
Oooh.

I've got some small bore copper tubing coiled up in the garage somewhere.  If I cut that up into 30cm lengths and put a 3d printed mouthpiece on them, I should make enough to buy some interesting test equipment. The curvature is an experimental technique for shooting round corners, of course.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krummlauf

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #77127 on: December 10, 2020, 11:21:01 pm »
a railgun does not seem to be on their list.

needs some tuning tho

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #77128 on: December 11, 2020, 12:02:09 am »
    That, however, is not my biggest hurdle right now; board density is. This board is an order of magnitude more miniaturized than my practice PCB. To give you an idea: that chip is 2.1mm2, and there is a 6x6 grid of pads under it.

I just plain can't see it clearly unless I use both my magnifying visor and the magnifying lamp located right over the work. Trying to do it from an angle just distorts everything to illegibility. The focal length of this combination puts the lens of the lamp 50-60mm directly above the work, and there simply is not any way to get the hot air nozzle anywhere near the chip. |O

I guess I'm gonna have to start shopping a cheap digital microscope; either that or swallow my tinkerer pride and send the board off to someone who's better equipped. :P

mnem
Murphy's a bitch, and she has puppies.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07D9FK8LW/

I settled on this one; should be here in a couple daze. Camera/chassis are allegedly same specs as the one Tony reviewed, only 4.3" screen. We'll see if it's good enough; I just couldn't make myself spend another $150 on this project with the DM9 microscope. This brings total cost up to ~$103; that I feel is a reasonable gamble to take on this iPad.

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #77129 on: December 11, 2020, 12:11:04 am »
I really like my amscope trinocular 4.5-90 or so on a boom with the led ring. Expensive, but totally worth it

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77130 on: December 11, 2020, 12:22:19 am »

I'm pretty pleased with myself, getting to this age before I had to have a microscope for microsoldering. ;)

I've done hand soldering directly to the pins of a Atmega2650 more times than I can count. Still can't decide if that's a matter of skill or obstinacy.  :-DD

mnem
 :bullshit:

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139, FransW

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #77131 on: December 11, 2020, 12:26:00 am »
I really like my amscope trinocular 4.5-90 or so on a boom with the led ring. Expensive, but totally worth it
I understand the "Expensive, but totally worth it" sentiment - and it would be a nice to have - but justification for my situation would be a stretch.  My needs are somewhat more modest - as is my budget.

I have so many toys I would like to import into my little world - but space, budget and need really cramp those ideas....  :(

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #77132 on: December 11, 2020, 12:28:26 am »
Mnem, please let us know how this unit performs.  It might make my "One day..." shopping list.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77133 on: December 11, 2020, 12:33:14 am »

I will do. Here's Tony's review of the DM9 for those who haven't seen; if I weren't already overspent on Xmas, I'd probably have splurged on it. I'm gonna save that money in case I need to buy a new iPad for my daughter.

mnem
 :scared:

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #77134 on: December 11, 2020, 12:51:05 am »
I understand the "Expensive, but totally worth it" sentiment - and it would be a nice to have - but justification for my situation would be a stretch.  My needs are somewhat more modest - as is my budget.

I have so many toys I would like to import into my little world - but space, budget and need really cramp those ideas....  :(

Amscope is good value for the money though. I plan to get one, have some experience with someone else's. Would I prefer a Zeiss? Well, yes, but I'm unlikely to want to shell out unless I can find one for pennies on the dollar at a property auction.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77135 on: December 11, 2020, 01:06:53 am »
From the  :wtf: WERE THEY THINKING?!? Files...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/red-hat-resets-centos-linux-and-users-are-angry/

mnem
Jeebus... even OS is going monopolistic. :palm:

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77136 on: December 11, 2020, 01:31:49 am »

mnem

Gotta sell more support contracts, obviously.  >:D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77137 on: December 11, 2020, 01:35:06 am »

mnem

I find it completely unsurprising. Red Hat has become the favoured corporate flavour of Linux because the PHBs think "You can get support" and thus shell out for Red Hat licences. However, anyone who has actually tried to get the support from Red Hat that they're paying for will find that it's useless, and furthermore that Red Hat is pathetically weak at keeping up to date with things that need to be patched. With the weight of a huge Red Hat customer behind me I have previously failed to get them to do anything useful for me, and worse still they took a long time to do nothing. However, most of the application software, middleware and the like that corporate types pay for is built to run on Red Hat, so corporate types still need Red Hat to run stuff on, even after they've discovered that Red Hat's support isn't worth paying for. Oh, but wait, there's Centos - that is release identical to Red Hat but for the branding, and it's free.

So, I suspect that a lot of paid Red Hat licences have been migrating to free Centos licences. Cue Red Hat discovering that their business model is crumbling under them. Instead of fixing the problem, making the support worth paying for, they are trying to change the playing field so that people who need to run software that is only officially supported on a Red Hat release have to use Red Hat rather than Centos. Reason being that corporate change control teams will have a blue fit if you try to run a configuration that updates on a rolling basis, and the security team will have a blue fit that you want to punch a hole in their firewall to let it install patches that they haven't approved (Both reasons that a lot of corporate systems run software that can be years behind current patch levels).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77138 on: December 11, 2020, 02:06:31 am »
It was a rhetorical question... even I can see that AssHat is engaging in monopolistic behavior. ;)

mnem
I am never surprised by the depths that people will sink to; but I am constantly amazed.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 02:08:53 am by mnementh »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77139 on: December 11, 2020, 04:02:29 am »
Another great bit of UK weapon control. Had an email from neighborhood watch about a weapons surrender scheme. I clicked the link to find that apparently it will be illegal have one of these (pic below)
in your own home next year  :-// I didn't even know that it's already illegal to have one in public, make or sell one (no one told ebay)
Yes it's a kids toy, but  it meets the description here
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1988/2019/made
"the weapon sometimes known as a ‘blowpipe’ or ‘blow gun’, being a hollow tube out of which hard pellets or darts are shot by the use of breath;"
The one pictured even comes with ammunition! About the only vaid reason for having one would be if you were a wildlife vet and were using it to administer drugs.
The new law "Offensive Weapons Act 2019" https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/17/part/4/enacted
Now makes it illegal to own, even in private, a bunch of "weapons" that previously it was only illegal to carry in public, sell, buy or make. I can understand and agree with keeping weapons off the street and out of the hands of criminals but thi seems to just be a way of making conviction easier as they don't have to prove how you got it, just having it (there are some exemptions like antiques or work use) is an offence that you can be locked up for.
So if you are in the UK and have any unusual knives, batons, swords, throwing stars etc. you should have a look at this:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/offensive-weapons-act-surrender-and-compensation-scheme
If you have a at least three peashooters you bought before 2018 they are supposed to give you £14 each for them  :-DD

The worry is probably more about the cost to taxpayers of kids going to ER with eye injuries.
To this end, they could probably have written, or used, some other legislation, but why not go the easy route, & use the weapons law.

If they had declared them "dangerous toys", the importers would become responsible, & they couldn't have that! ;D
As it is, the owners become the "bunnies" ("After all, my dear, they are not 'one of us', so who cares?")

I sorely doubt if these peashooters would ever be a lot of good for anyone "defending their sovereignty" against an oppressive govt, or to defend against all the multitudinous criminals wanting to invade the Brit's "two up, two down" mansion!
If you really want to protect yourself & "your castle" from all those  "boogey people" who are just dying to invade, go out to the garden shed, & knock the head off the mattock.
The mattock handle then becomes a very effective "Nulla Nulla" to fight them off!

OK, if they have guns & are silly enough to use them, it won't help, but it would be quite intimidating to the rest.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #77140 on: December 11, 2020, 04:23:47 am »

Amscope is good value for the money though. I plan to get one, have some experience with someone else's. Would I prefer a Zeiss? Well, yes, but I'm unlikely to want to shell out unless I can find one for pennies on the dollar at a property auction.

I saw You and your 519 try to sneak into the "Old Tek Scopes" group in Facebook without telling me.  :P :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77141 on: December 11, 2020, 04:30:17 am »

I saw You and your 519 try to sneak into the "Old Tek Scopes" group in Facebook without telling me.  :P :P :-DD

:P

You know what they say, birds of a feather flock together.  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #77142 on: December 11, 2020, 04:40:24 am »

:P

You know what they say, birds of a feather flock together.  :-DD

Yep, but the rest of the world thinks we are....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77143 on: December 11, 2020, 04:42:13 am »
I may be crazy, but I have an extremely capable lab that has an MSRP that I most certainly could not have afforded.  :-+

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #77144 on: December 11, 2020, 04:54:54 am »
if that is as thunderous as your spiders are venomous then I'd rather be somewhere else ... (which I am, but ... whatever ...)
But the Flowers  :-DD The Inland Deserts are home to several nasty species of Snake and Scorpions are more of an issue in the desert than the Spiders  :-DD

I would drop some photos up but they are on a CD and well who has one of those ancient devices on their PC these days....

*starts to say something, but thinks better of it...*

mnem
"I nevah met da storage device in question..."
I do for one, I have 2 of them actually :-+
I have five of those here, in 3 different computers.... no big deal...

Edit:  Crap, I thought we were talking about CD drives.  Let me go count again .... :-//
Answer is still five of those here, in the same 3 computers.... :-DD
Double-crap, one of those machines has both a SSD and a floppy drive ....  :o
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 05:15:45 am by cyclin_al »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77145 on: December 11, 2020, 04:58:05 am »

mnem
I may be crazy but... no, wait. I'm pretty much just fucking nuts. :-DD

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #77146 on: December 11, 2020, 05:01:33 am »
I do have one PC with a spinny drive and a CD in it other than that the others have SSD's and somewhere I have a plug in CD reader but where  :-// :-DD Apart from some ancient backups and photos I should add to my NAS at some time CD's time is about passed.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77147 on: December 11, 2020, 08:06:06 am »

mnem

I find it completely unsurprising. Red Hat has become the favoured corporate flavour of Linux because the PHBs think "You can get support" and thus shell out for Red Hat licences. However, anyone who has actually tried to get the support from Red Hat that they're paying for will find that it's useless, and furthermore that Red Hat is pathetically weak at keeping up to date with things that need to be patched. With the weight of a huge Red Hat customer behind me I have previously failed to get them to do anything useful for me, and worse still they took a long time to do nothing. However, most of the application software, middleware and the like that corporate types pay for is built to run on Red Hat, so corporate types still need Red Hat to run stuff on, even after they've discovered that Red Hat's support isn't worth paying for. Oh, but wait, there's Centos - that is release identical to Red Hat but for the branding, and it's free.

So, I suspect that a lot of paid Red Hat licences have been migrating to free Centos licences. Cue Red Hat discovering that their business model is crumbling under them. Instead of fixing the problem, making the support worth paying for, they are trying to change the playing field so that people who need to run software that is only officially supported on a Red Hat release have to use Red Hat rather than Centos. Reason being that corporate change control teams will have a blue fit if you try to run a configuration that updates on a rolling basis, and the security team will have a blue fit that you want to punch a hole in their firewall to let it install patches that they haven't approved (Both reasons that a lot of corporate systems run software that can be years behind current patch levels).

Oh don’t get me started on this. I just inherited a three figure sum of mixed CentOS 7 and 8 nodes haphazardly managed with spacewalk and ansible on top of VMware. At least it’s not on HPE crap this time. One reason I haven’t been posting much recently is working out how to approach the problem. Literally as we landed on a half decent solution they pulled this shit so it’s back to the drawing board.

And yes this is going in Amazon.

Edit: on a positive note there’s only one windows node in the entire cluster which is used to wrap some piece of shit COM in a service.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 08:10:57 am by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #77148 on: December 11, 2020, 08:53:00 am »

mnem

Oh don’t get me started on this. I just inherited a three figure sum of mixed CentOS 7 and 8 nodes haphazardly managed with spacewalk and ansible on top of VMware. At least it’s not on HPE crap this time. One reason I haven’t been posting much recently is working out how to approach the problem. Literally as we landed on a half decent solution they pulled this shit so it’s back to the drawing board.

And yes this is going in Amazon.

Edit: on a positive note there’s only one windows node in the entire cluster which is used to wrap some piece of shit COM in a service.

Didn't IBM buy Red Hat last year? Yep, they did. And didn't IBM jump on the "Open Source" bandwagon years ago when it comes to selling their servers? Yep, they did. So while I don't completely understand what is going on now it seems to this peon that they are now talking out of both sides of their mouth. The hypocrisy of it all and not surprising from my former employer.  :palm: 

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77149 on: December 11, 2020, 08:58:26 am »
I do have one PC with a spinny drive and a CD in it other than that the others have SSD's and somewhere I have a plug in CD reader but where  :-// :-DD Apart from some ancient backups and photos I should add to my NAS at some time CD's time is about passed.

I thought everyone still had CD/DVD drives in their computers?? Mine is in the bay below the 5.25in floppy drive... Oops.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf