Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18104805 times)

Vince and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #75775 on: November 21, 2020, 04:54:47 pm »
And in the UK in a real auction tomorrow there is a Tek 556 boat sinker,
I just watch that make silly money, over £1.1k including auctioneer fees.  :wtf:
David

The 555 I was ogling the other day slipped. The trip for picking it up was somewhat long, so better left to its devices. Now a RM33 has showed up, no money to speak of, also pickup only, condition looks like "clean", and pickup trip is less of a hassle. It's actually heavier than its sibling the 533. And two plug-ins at that..

Food status report: Bœuf Bourgignon bubbling on the range, soon about to plunge a bag of small onions in boiling water to make them easier to peel, and then fry them up with bacon and champignons. Also, the rice needs to go on soon.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #75776 on: November 21, 2020, 05:02:17 pm »
Since we were showing garages and storage solutions here's mine. I'm standing in the center bay of a 3 bay garage. The center bay and the 3rd bay are rented by other tenants in our complex. It's automotive stuff, tools/power tools, lumber, empty boxes, etc. No TEA related stuff. That's all kept inside in the TEA closet. The garage does stay dry for the most part but the building is recessed into the side of the hill so the rear wall is at least 8 feet underground. So in heavy rains there is some seepage but it dries out rapidly. I'm out there today building a TEA related shelving unit.

The Civic occupies the garage. The CR-V is kept outside.

What's that pipe down the middle?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75777 on: November 21, 2020, 05:09:38 pm »
That’s holding all his Teks up  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, jjoonathan, Mr. Scram, Neomys Sapiens, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #75778 on: November 21, 2020, 05:42:39 pm »
And I just took a management-ish job today. Fuck!  :-DD :palm:

bd139 works hard for the money.

His sister performed this song years ago:

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #75779 on: November 21, 2020, 05:47:34 pm »
Since we were showing garages and storage solutions here's mine. I'm standing in the center bay of a 3 bay garage. The center bay and the 3rd bay are rented by other tenants in our complex. It's automotive stuff, tools/power tools, lumber, empty boxes, etc. No TEA related stuff. That's all kept inside in the TEA closet. The garage does stay dry for the most part but the building is recessed into the side of the hill so the rear wall is at least 8 feet underground. So in heavy rains there is some seepage but it dries out rapidly. I'm out there today building a TEA related shelving unit.

Probably a lally column to support the overhead.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75780 on: November 21, 2020, 05:49:37 pm »
That’s holding all his Teks up  :scared:

Not to forget the bulk supply of Krylon aerosols as well.  ;D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #75781 on: November 21, 2020, 05:53:09 pm »
If you ever wonder...if a Digital Microscope is worth it....
i bought a 12MP .. with extra light for +/- 55,- to test.... and it is ectualy not bad at all, and i did not even get all the max pix out of it with a proper microSDcard.

https://youtu.be/oJqzqSmqw2k

The T-Shirt... the wife says it fits me well, although she not nesseseraly agees  :-DD

I'm having these T-Shirts:

Translation from the second one:.

Engineer
Noun
Someone who does precise guesswork based on inaccurate data provided by people with questionable knowledge.
See also:
Wizard, sorcerer
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot, 0culus, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75782 on: November 21, 2020, 06:12:11 pm »

-Pat

Correct, support columns. There is a 2nd floor above.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75783 on: November 21, 2020, 06:17:26 pm »
Build done. Sanding done. Stain done. First coat poly tomorrow. Dimensions are 137 cm high, 51 cm deep, and 99 cm across. The reason for the large spacing between the shelves is intentional and will be readily apparent once installed.

See you all on Discord later.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #75784 on: November 21, 2020, 06:30:34 pm »

-Pat

Correct, support columns. There is a 2nd floor above.

Don't ask Dave for Teardown Tuesday  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75785 on: November 21, 2020, 08:24:29 pm »
All the interesting stuff I've been watching on ebay has ended suddenly with " This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available." :rant: :rant:

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75786 on: November 21, 2020, 08:28:26 pm »
Yeah seen that a lot recently :(

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75787 on: November 21, 2020, 08:53:42 pm »

If someone emails a seller with an offer, they might go with it...  get'er done...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75788 on: November 21, 2020, 08:56:37 pm »
And in the UK in a real auction tomorrow there is a Tek 556 boat sinker,

Lot 410 of this auction in Cambridgeshire;
https://auctions.hyperionauctions.co.uk/catalogue/lot/f58defe6f4b3a02b5550c51ccbd489ae/b7c4d3a38dc0c91a3f6375615562b5ba/fine-art-antiques-sale-to-include-a-fine-collection-o-lot-410/
Lot 531 has a collection of Tek scope plug-ins;
https://auctions.hyperionauctions.co.uk/catalogue/lot/bba9f5204269858c0edaadf23743a8c6/b7c4d3a38dc0c91a3f6375615562b5ba/fine-art-antiques-sale-to-include-a-fine-collection-o-lot-531/

Lots of other historic boat anchors in the same auction.

David

I just watched that 556 make silly money, over £1.1k including auctioneer fees.  :wtf:
Didn't bid on the one item I was looking at, a HP 540B transfer oscillator, not really a bargain at £125/127 including fees and you have to collect it.  :-\
The auction is still going but I can't be bothered watching any more.

David
Strewth, that kind of money is plain stupid.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75789 on: November 21, 2020, 09:01:23 pm »
Yeah very stupid, you just don't know what condition it's in inside or if it's restorable (hell of a lot of money for a giant doorstop if the CRT turns out to be duff for example), doesn't even come with probes or a power lead.  :palm:

Surprised the lot of 13 Tek plug-ins didn't make silly money, under a tenner each including fees.

David
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:06:15 pm by factory »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75790 on: November 21, 2020, 10:50:16 pm »
I need to start an auction company with that many stupid people around :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #75791 on: November 21, 2020, 10:57:17 pm »
Not sure you could make a living auctioning off stoopit people; seems to me there's a glut on the market already.

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139, cyclin_al, srb1954

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75792 on: November 21, 2020, 11:04:47 pm »
Not sure you could make a living auctioning off stoopit people; seems to me there's a glut on the market already.

mnem
 >:D
That made me laugh :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75793 on: November 22, 2020, 12:26:32 am »
A Type 556 for $1462 USD? No way. That is WAY beyond stupid.  |O

$500 USD for a pristine unit.....maybe.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:31:36 am by med6753 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75794 on: November 22, 2020, 01:59:19 am »
You said $500 was too much for a NOS/NIB 465. Your judgement is slightly suspect in this arena.  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75795 on: November 22, 2020, 02:36:37 am »
Oh, shit, I missed discourse,  sorry ladies and gentlemen, I'll see myself out now, bye for now  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75796 on: November 22, 2020, 02:52:25 am »

On The Bench tonight: New Thrift Shop Scores!

This will learn me to go back to the Thrift looking for a shelf unit I saw the other day.  :palm:

A Makita variable speed Sawzall (and in VG used condition) for 25 Canadian Pesos (~$US19) is obviously a no-brainer; this one is supposedly 18V, so probably has a 24V or 36V rated speed controller. I'll have to take it apart to make sure, but if so, it will definitely be the Guinea pig to 3DP an adapter plate for my Kobalt 6-cell 24VMax packs. The Makita uses a dumb pack; we'll see if the Kobalt packs will yield full output without comms to the tool.  :-//

The other item is a bit less exciting, unless you already know what a technical marvel the Kinect for XBOX ONE actually is. It is not just a 1080P 60FPS camera with HD stereo mics; it is also a fairly high-resolution mesh IR ranging array/camera that together with color and IR photogrammetry from that camera, makes a pretty high-resolution realtime 3D scanner that many enthusiasts hack to use as 3DP scanners.

While these things have in essence been abandoned by MicroSoft due to bad press over privacy concerns, MS has integrated the tech into their Augmented Reality headsets which have proven to be a profitable project. Under any circumstances, finding one for 8 Canadian Pesos is an invitation to tinkery.  >:D

mnem
 :-/O

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75797 on: November 22, 2020, 02:56:40 am »
You said $500 was too much for a NOS/NIB 465. Your judgement is slightly suspect in this arena.  >:D

mnem

Sorry, but my judgement is totally intact. $500 USD IS too much for a cherry 465.  :P

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75798 on: November 22, 2020, 05:16:51 am »
Why? It is no less historic in its own right than the 555. :-// And NOS/NIB is not the same as "Cherry". ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75799 on: November 22, 2020, 05:32:22 am »
   On The Bench tonight: New Thrift Shop Scores!

This will learn me to go back to the Thrift looking for a shelf unit I saw the other day.  :palm: A Makita variable speed Sawzall (and in VG used condition) for 25 Canadian Pesos (~$US19) is obviously a no-brainer; this one is supposedly 18V, so probably has a 24V or 36V rated speed controller. I'll have to take it apart to make sure, but if so, it will definitely be the Guinea pig to 3DP an adapter plate for my Kobalt 6-cell 24VMax packs. The Makita uses a dumb pack; we'll see if the Kobalt packs will yield full output without comms to the tool...
   Followup:

Yup; 12A/24V-rated Omron/Makita 6505959 speed controller with 60V/80A 2SK2690 MOSFET pass transistor. Tried it first with my little beastie Power supply, then a Kobalt pack with alligators. First tentative runs ran smooth as silk. Also, found out why it was at the Thrift: some penis fingers had broken off the thin end stem of a blade inside the quick-change. I had to take it all apart to get the stem out.

So next Frustion360 project will be a contact plate to fit my Kobalt packs. :-+

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a MOSFET mallet*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf