Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18104334 times)

Robert763, Vince, timeandfrequency, Messiah and 53 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #75650 on: November 19, 2020, 01:58:53 pm »
I see you are also a fan of randomly placed batteries of unknown charge state. I'm not alone!

McBryce.

You have to move them around until you've managed to null the DC e-field across your bench.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #75651 on: November 19, 2020, 01:59:33 pm »

Hmmmmm...

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #75652 on: November 19, 2020, 02:06:49 pm »
The gaage photos were during a reorganisation, so it's not that bad really but there are 4 2M high shelving units pushed tight against each other so very poor access. The space gained by the tidy up has now mostly been taken by a small gas turbine engine (small is realtive).
The indoor workspace is also packed.

Those garage photos are a real "enabler" for me. Clearly I have scope for stuff expansion :(

The stuff in my garage is in one large Peli case, scraps in a plastic box, and a Fluke nixie DMM sitting quite happily on damp concrete. And I can get to it relatively easily.

There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #75653 on: November 19, 2020, 02:53:07 pm »

PS: This thread is cool, always wanted to start a "whats inside your bench drawers look like post some pictures" but never did it.

Ok, lets start:

My drawers are shown best when they are closed..    :-DD
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75654 on: November 19, 2020, 03:04:45 pm »
It's a mess, I've got far to much stuff. Below are pictures of the organised storage, over 100 Really Useful Boxes, all documented. There is some complete TEA in there you can just see a couple of Tek 7000 seriers 'scopes. This is good but it's a few miles away and costs money.
The gaage photos were during a reorganisation, so it's not that bad really but there are 4 2M high shelving units pushed tight against each other so very poor access. The space gained by the tidy up has now mostly been taken by a small gas turbine engine (small is realtive).

Would that be a Palouste, by any chance?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75655 on: November 19, 2020, 03:42:09 pm »

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 03:46:42 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75656 on: November 19, 2020, 03:57:29 pm »
Missed the HP 427A. Was doing the bloody school run when it finished and forgot to bid  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

FML  >:(

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75657 on: November 19, 2020, 04:00:22 pm »
It's a mess, I've got far to much stuff. Below are pictures of the organised storage, over 100 Really Useful Boxes, all documented. There is some complete TEA in there you can just see a couple of Tek 7000 seriers 'scopes. This is good but it's a few miles away and costs money.

Would that be a Palouste, by any chance?

No, a Honeywell/Garrett GTCP 36-150, much more advanced than the Palouste.
I've worked with Paloustes but never owened one (the 35-150 is my 7th engine).
The 36-150 is complete with starter, ignitor box 40kVA generator etc. it's the R version that used an electronic control unit; I don't have that so willhve to knock one up. First thing is to make sure it runs under manual control of the fuel valve. Was far to busy with work to do anything this summer and the weather is not good for working outside at the moment.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75658 on: November 19, 2020, 04:44:25 pm »

mnem
 :popcorn:

Whaky Brits forgot to fit an altimeter.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #75659 on: November 19, 2020, 05:00:12 pm »
There's a Tek 555 with all the goodies "locally" ( 370km, pick up only). 100€ bid level now.

Am tempted.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75660 on: November 19, 2020, 05:22:42 pm »
Missed the HP 427A. Was doing the bloody school run when it finished and forgot to bid  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

If it was the one I think it was, it went for £30.50, I didn't win it either  :palm:, but I did have the 1st bid on it  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75661 on: November 19, 2020, 05:25:37 pm »

If it was the one I think it was, it went for £30.50, I didn't win it either  :palm:, but I did have the 1st bid on it  :-DD

Auctions are like sex... You're not going to impress anyone by being first. :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #75662 on: November 19, 2020, 05:32:45 pm »
I had enough trouble finding space for my Myford ML2  ::)

From what you have posted so far, I would love to see a picture of your cave lab. It must be heaven.

PS: This thread is cool, always wanted to start a "whats inside your bench drawers look like post some pictures" but never did it.

Thank you for making my garage seem (relatively) uncluttered!  My living room, on the other hand...   :palm:

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75663 on: November 19, 2020, 05:34:39 pm »

McBryce.
I just thought I'd stick a cheeky bid on it and see if I won or not, and sometimes it is very much like sex. Being the "first" is very often the best and could be "impressive" ;) >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75664 on: November 19, 2020, 05:44:45 pm »
"You demonstrated a lot of technique for someone I supposedly corrupted..."   ~Cap'n Jack Sparrow

mnem
 >:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75665 on: November 19, 2020, 05:49:08 pm »

McBryce.
I just thought I'd stick a cheeky bid on it and see if I won or not, and sometimes it is very much like sex. Being the "first" is very often the best and could be "impressive" ;) >:D

Auctions also sometimes leave a mess behind!

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #75666 on: November 19, 2020, 05:56:27 pm »

Classic Roast Capacitors? Is that some RIFA variant?   :scared:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline Microdoser

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #75667 on: November 19, 2020, 06:05:21 pm »

Ok, lets start:

I have those exact same cutters, the ones with the orange and black handles. They are my favourite cutters.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75668 on: November 19, 2020, 07:17:34 pm »

Classic Roast Capacitors? Is that some RIFA variant?   :scared:

Yea, when they explode you make RIFA coffee....but it's kinda bitter.  ::) ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75669 on: November 19, 2020, 07:20:03 pm »
There's a Tek 555 with all the goodies "locally" ( 370km, pick up only). 100€ bid level now.

Am tempted.

If you win rent a truck and 2 helpers. You'll need it.  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75670 on: November 19, 2020, 07:44:01 pm »
I had enough trouble finding space for my Myford ML2  ::)

From what you have posted so far, I would love to see a picture of your cave lab. It must be heaven.

Thank you for making my garage seem (relatively) uncluttered!  My living room, on the other hand...   :palm:

-Pat

I'll post a pix of my garage tomorrow.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #75671 on: November 19, 2020, 07:50:10 pm »
I've been watching Les Paul copies on ebay this week.

I was watching one with a BIN price of £120, and suddenly a message pops up "the seller has sent you an offer of 96% off - £4.

Naturally I bought it immediately, though I was expecting what happened soon after...

Message from the seller "sorry, was an accident, phone in pocket blah blah blah, monies refunded".

Oh well.

Next job, having finished the covid testing centre:

We're replacing (almost) all the boards in City Hall. These are about half of them, there will be just short of 40 in total.

We're not rewiring, just board changes. All the wiring (well almost all) is MICC (mineral insulated copper cable).
The new boards will be full of RCBOs. Every. Single. Circuit.
Anyone that knows anything about MICC wiring will be shaking their head and chuckling at this point...

Management thinks we will be done in no time, have said don't bother with full testing, just do loops. Any problems, we'll sort as we go.
The consensus among the blokes on the tools is this will bring new meaning to the phrase "nuisance tripping".

Fortunately we get paid by the hour, and not by how much we can do in a day...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, shakalnokturn

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75672 on: November 19, 2020, 07:57:32 pm »
That has "cluster fuck" written all over it.  |O ::)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75673 on: November 19, 2020, 08:05:07 pm »
I welcome a cluster fuck when I’m being paid by the hour. My house is made of other people’s cluster fucks  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75674 on: November 19, 2020, 08:09:19 pm »
Hmm, how much of the next few weeks you spend on it are going to be down to (1) how long the tails they've left on all that MICC, and (2) how good a seal they got when they terminated the stuff.

I have a love/hate relationship with MICC. I find it satisfying to make up and terminate, I like the ultra-neat job you can do with it but I hate the fighting with reels of it and all the bending  and fettling to get to that ultra-neat job. Then there's all the comedy potential for games you can play with the 'carrots'.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf