Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16716308 times)

djadeski and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #75600 on: November 18, 2020, 10:39:46 pm »
Are those Nixie clocks I spy there?

Absolutely. Nixies are my gateway drug into embedded design. The main stash is well hidden however ;)

These are gorgeous panaplex tubes!  :-+
What size of the segments are they? 50mm?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #75601 on: November 18, 2020, 10:49:50 pm »
welcome, your bench is way to clean  :-DD

It will take some time for the 2nd law of  thermodynamics to kick in but then...   In the meantime:      
 ^-^

The Three Laws of Thermodynamics:

1. You can't win.
2. You can't break even.    Arrrou...?!?
3. You can't even get out of the game.

mnem
nice pants.

The second law of thermodynamics in short:  dS/dt > 0
This means: entropy is always increasing.

Wikipedia see the section of Clausius.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 10:52:08 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #75602 on: November 18, 2020, 10:52:33 pm »
Hello,

My name is Kevin and I am an addict.

Anyways, at the suggestion of a good friend and longtime eevblog lurker, I am here to seek therapy for my test equipment addiction in addition to coveted internet points, which are directly proportional to my self esteem.

Since getting serious about electronics after finishing undergrad and starting my first job, I have acquired a number of instruments.

- Keysight MSOX2024A scope
- Keysight E36103A dc power supply
- Keysight AC6801A ac/dc power supply
- Keysight B2902A source measure unit
- Keithley DMM6500 dmm
- Keysight E4980AL lcr meter
- Itech 8512B+ dc electronic load
- HTI 301 thermal camera

Your insults are welcome. Feel free to check out my personal website at neonkev.com and leave disparaging comments.

Regards,
Kevin

Welcome.

I see you have one scope. That's the necessary precondition to having two scopes. Ditto every other piece of test equipment.

Glad to be of service >:D
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, nexus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #75603 on: November 18, 2020, 10:53:24 pm »
   Absolutely. Nixies are my gateway drug into embedded design. The main stash is well hidden however ;)

Looks like you got the last of the giant Burroughs Alpha nixies that Sphere had for a short while.   :P

mnem
i hate you. very cordially. ;)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline nexus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #75604 on: November 18, 2020, 10:54:29 pm »
Thank you guys (and/or gals) for the warm welcome. Gotta buy good gear while the dollar is still worth something right? 😂

The way I see it, good tools are never a bad investment. Sure, more 0s in my account is also nice but that money ought to be put to work. For a guy 3 years out of school, I'm just at the beginning of learning useful skills to become the best engineer I can be!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75605 on: November 18, 2020, 10:57:21 pm »
welcome, your bench is way to clean  :-DD

It will take some time for the 2nd law of  thermodynamics to kick in but then...   In the meantime:      
 ^-^

The Three Laws of Thermodynamics:

1. You can't win.
2. You can't break even.    Arrrou...?!?
3. You can't even get out of the game.

mnem
nice pants.

The second law of thermodynamics in short:  dS/dt > 0
This means: entropy is always increasing. The perversity of the Universe tends to the maximum.

Wikipedia see the section of Clausius.

There... FTFY. ;)

mnem
also dwagons. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #75606 on: November 18, 2020, 11:02:47 pm »
Jepp, dragons are a kind of entropy accelerators.   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #75607 on: November 18, 2020, 11:06:54 pm »
Thank you guys (and/or gals) for the warm welcome. Gotta buy good gear while the dollar is still worth something right? 😂

The way I see it, good tools are never a bad investment. Sure, more 0s in my account is also nice but that money ought to be put to work. For a guy 3 years out of school, I'm just at the beginning of learning useful skills to become the best engineer I can be!

It is worth remembering that any tool requires time to learn how to use it effectively. But time is limited, so you have to choose tools wisely.

Can I suggest that at your stage of your career it is probably beneficial to know the various types of tool available, so that you can wisely select which set of tools to use on a given project - and which to avoid. Then learn everything you can about the tools you are using on your project.

Too many people use an inappropriate tool because they are familiar with it and don't know what better tools exist.

Too many people don't learn the details of how to use the tools they have to best advantage.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, nexus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75608 on: November 18, 2020, 11:12:22 pm »
Perfect example: A FLUKE 25/27 will serve very well as a wheel chock or a hammer; however it is still most profitably used to monitor a circuit.  :-DD

mnem
But don't forget those ancillary uses, should one find oneself in a combat situation...  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75609 on: November 18, 2020, 11:17:41 pm »
Jepp, dragons are a kind of entropy accelerators.   :-DD     

I didn't invent entropy... I'm just trying to perfect it.  >:D

mnem
...and here we are back with those monkeys again, only now they have a draft of Aladdin they want us to look at...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #75610 on: November 18, 2020, 11:25:32 pm »

thank you now I want one.... ahhhhh
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #75611 on: November 18, 2020, 11:27:14 pm »
How much will cost to CNC this plate see attachment?

My guess 70€.

First guy responded: 194 trumpets for one plate, 343 for two.

second guy: 134 Euro shipping included.

Third guy 68 Euro and he got the cake.

Yuuuuuu

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Saskia

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75612 on: November 19, 2020, 12:56:17 am »

...snip...

For a guy 3 years out of school, I'm just at the beginning of learning useful skills to become the best engineer I can be!

Aw shoot, you're an engineer?  :o You couldn't be a neat freak AND a lowly technician like me?  :-// You'll definitely fit into this group of clowns and they'll have you corrupted and with a messy bench in no time.   |O I'll even send you a hand grenade to help you along.  :P ;D

J/K.....welcome!  :) :)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, nexus

Offline nexus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #75613 on: November 19, 2020, 01:29:59 am »

The tubes in the foreground are Burroughs B7971s. They are some of the larger nixies out there. 15 segment (14 + bottom arrow). Digit height is 63.5mm.

The tubes in the backround are the middle child of the Burroughs alphanumeric nixie family, the 8971s. They are much rarer than the larger 7971 tube. Smaller overall, with a digit height of 36.5mm.

Its an addiction!

If anyone is seriously interested in nixie tubes, related driving circuits/clock designs, there is a big google group that I would recommend checking out: neonixie-l https://groups.google.com/g/neonixie-l?pli=1. Tons of nixie tube knowledge, trading/selling, and generally a great place to indulge with others in the hobby. I've been on there for a few years, and there are some old timers that go way back to the original yahoo group also by the same name.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline nexus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #75614 on: November 19, 2020, 01:36:02 am »
Forgot to mention; older nixies are only getting pricier and harder to find. One gentleman who is really making a comeback by producing new nixies is Dalibor Farny. https://www.daliborfarny.com/. He has been making a large 50mm symbol height nixie which is absolutely stunning. I bought a set of 6 to make a clock with eventually.
Think his total production to date is over 11,000 tubes. He has some new nixie tube designs in the pipeline too... can't wait until those come out.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #75615 on: November 19, 2020, 01:57:04 am »
And last, the reason I went to the Thrift today: I picked up these Sennheiser HDR160 headphones a few days ago, thinking they were BT. Turns out they're 3rd gen KLEER "uncompressed digital" wireless. I remember the ads for this tech; "Sennheiser sound set free." Supposedly, as good as their wired headphones. Of course, I wanted to try that out rather than just gutting them and hardwiring.  >:D

I got lucky and found the transmitter, with the original power pack! There's a little bit of repair needs done on the headphones; I'll update here when I have them working and let y'all know what I think.  ;D

mnem
 :=\

When I've donated items like that where there are parts that need to be kept together I do something like tape them together with generous amounts of packing tape.  I think once I even put the items in a bag with a note what they were for and that they should be kept together and sold together.  But I always have this feeling as I'm leaving the store that the stock people in back are separating the items, pricing them individually, and placing them on opposite sides of the store.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75616 on: November 19, 2020, 02:23:46 am »

The tubes in the foreground are Burroughs B7971s. They are some of the larger nixies out there. 15 segment (14 + bottom arrow). Digit height is 63.5mm.

The tubes in the backround are the middle child of the Burroughs alphanumeric nixie family, the 8971s. They are much rarer than the larger 7971 tube. Smaller overall, with a digit height of 36.5mm.

Its an addiction!

If anyone is seriously interested in nixie tubes, related driving circuits/clock designs, there is a big google group that I would recommend checking out: neonixie-l https://groups.google.com/g/neonixie-l?pli=1. Tons of nixie tube knowledge, trading/selling, and generally a great place to indulge with others in the hobby. I've been on there for a few years, and there are some old timers that go way back to the original yahoo group also by the same name.

I know.   >:D They look and work like a Panaplex in a cylindrical envelope, but Burroughs calls them a Nixie, so we really don't have a choice.  :-// I am still very annoyed I missed out on the stock of B-7971s that Sphere had. |O Oh, and before it was a Yahoo group, it was on Usenet. ;)

Forgot to mention; older nixies are only getting pricier and harder to find. One gentleman who is really making a comeback by producing new nixies is Dalibor Farny. https://www.daliborfarny.com/. He has been making a large 50mm symbol height nixie which is absolutely stunning. I bought a set of 6 to make a clock with eventually.
Think his total production to date is over 11,000 tubes. He has some new nixie tube designs in the pipeline too... can't wait until those come out.

Yeah, we know all aboot DF. Been watching him for years now. The H-tube is gonna roxxor your soxxors off. ;D

mnem
poit!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 02:40:04 am by mnementh »

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75617 on: November 19, 2020, 02:27:34 am »
Alternative to NIXIE project with a somewhat colder glow:
https://hackaday.io/project/18633
Neat idea all the same...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75618 on: November 19, 2020, 02:30:48 am »
And last, the reason I went to the Thrift today: I picked up these Sennheiser HDR160 headphones a few days ago, thinking they were BT. Turns out they're 3rd gen KLEER "uncompressed digital" wireless. I remember the ads for this tech; "Sennheiser sound set free." Supposedly, as good as their wired headphones. Of course, I wanted to try that out rather than just gutting them and hardwiring.  >:D

I got lucky and found the transmitter, with the original power pack! There's a little bit of repair needs done on the headphones; I'll update here when I have them working and let y'all know what I think.  ;D

mnem

When I've donated items like that where there are parts that need to be kept together I do something like tape them together with generous amounts of packing tape.  I think once I even put the items in a bag with a note what they were for and that they should be kept together and sold together.  But I always have this feeling as I'm leaving the store that the stock people in back are separating the items, pricing them individually, and placing them on opposite sides of the store.

I know for a fact they do that up here with the power packs and remotes most of the time; they've told me they go up on the wall separately.  :palm:   

Fukkin' infuriating to have to hunt them down every damned time I buy something electronic. :rant:

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Carl_Smith

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75619 on: November 19, 2020, 04:57:49 am »

mnem

Promised followup: They are indeed fukkin' awesome; I was missing an adapter for my iPod dock, so just connected via headphone jack and... just fukkin' awesome. They are as crisp and clear as my favorite dual-driver wired earbuds, with almost as much bass as my recently acquired SkullCandy HESH2s but the vocal levels match perfectly instead of being muddied as all the bass-pounder headphones do. And of course, plenty of volume with no compromise; enough to give me a headache.

I can hear a very faint hiss during moments of silence, but I can hear that with all my wired phones too. Hopefully, once I get my dock working so it's coming from the line-out channels, that will go away as well. Oh, and they run on inexpensive AAA NiMHs, which they charge very conveniently with the same power pack as the TX, which also runs on batteries (but doesn't charge them).

Yummeh!

mnem
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 05:09:49 am by mnementh »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #75620 on: November 19, 2020, 05:45:27 am »
Considering a stax right now. However the muulahtory impact is keeping me back.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #75621 on: November 19, 2020, 06:28:17 am »
Hello,

My name is Kevin and I am an addict.

Anyways, at the suggestion of a good friend and longtime eevblog lurker, I am here to seek therapy for my test equipment addiction in addition to coveted internet points, which are directly proportional to my self esteem.

Since getting serious about electronics after finishing undergrad and starting my first job, I have acquired a number of instruments.

- Keysight MSOX2024A scope
- Keysight E36103A dc power supply
- Keysight AC6801A ac/dc power supply
- Keysight B2902A source measure unit
- Keithley DMM6500 dmm
- Keysight E4980AL lcr meter
- Itech 8512B+ dc electronic load
- HTI 301 thermal camera

Your insults are welcome. Feel free to check out my personal website at neonkev.com and leave disparaging comments.

Regards,
Kevin

Welcome to the enablement part of the forums.

Good to see some students spend their loans on something other than booze and drugs...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, nexus, tonyalbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #75622 on: November 19, 2020, 07:03:56 am »
How much will cost to CNC this plate see attachment?

My guess 70€.

First guy responded: 194 trumpets for one plate, 343 for two.

second guy: 134 Euro shipping included.

Third guy 68 Euro and he got the cake.

Yuuuuuu
congrats.

I can see where those other 2 are coming from, though. Depending on the time and staff needed to enter the stuff into your CAD/CAM system plus tooling those one offs can be terribly expensive.
Machine time usually is, especially if we are talking serious iron.

My favorite is still an Okuma Multus B400 ... don't know how to pay for the thing plus maintenance plus electricity though.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #75623 on: November 19, 2020, 07:43:38 am »
My favorite is still an Okuma Multus B400 ... don't know how to pay for the thing plus maintenance plus electricity though.

Holllyyy FFFFFFuuu

MAX TURNING DIAMETER   mm   Ø710
SPINDLE NOSE TYPE      JIS A2-8 [JIS A2-11]
SPEED RANGE   min⁻¹   38~3,800 [30~2,800]
STANDARD POWER (20 MIN/CONT)   kW   VAC 22/15
RAPID TRAVERSE X,Z/Y   m/min   40/26

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75624 on: November 19, 2020, 10:42:44 am »
I had enough trouble finding space for my Myford ML2  ::)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf