Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16722649 times)

factory and 107 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #75475 on: November 17, 2020, 09:27:26 am »
Baseball, isn't that the game developed for the people which find the cricket rules a bit confusing?  ;)

Confusing for sure. I've watched Cricket a few times and tried to figure out what's going on. Nope, not happening.  :-// :-DD

Here's a standard "30000ft" definition:
  • You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
  • Each man that’s in the side that’s in the field goes out and when he’s out comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.
  • When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
  • When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.
  • Sometimes there are men still in and not out.
  • There are men called umpires who stay out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out.
  • Depending on the weather and the light, the umpires can also send everybody in, no matter whether they’re in or out.
  • When both sides have been in and all the men are out (including those who are not out), then the game is finished.
It should be noted that each important international game can last up to 5 days, and often ends in a draw. There are 5 such test games in each test series.

More detailed explantions include terms like stumps, run out, googly, leg before wicket, no ball, silly mid on and silly mid off - and many others
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 09:29:40 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: shakalnokturn

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75476 on: November 17, 2020, 09:29:09 am »
Baseball, isn't that the game developed for the people which find the cricket rules a bit confusing?  ;)

We regard baseball as rounders played by myopic grown up men.

"Myopic" because the definition of "foreign" is based on that used by US TV news programmes, where "foreign" means "out of this state".

"[Rounders] is popular among British and Irish school children, particularly among girls. As of 2015 it is played by seven million children in the UK."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounders

That right there is typical British snobbery.  ::) :horse:

Not snobbery, dear boy. Superiority >:D
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #75477 on: November 17, 2020, 09:33:07 am »

"Myopic" because the definition of "foreign" is based on that used by US TV news programmes, where "foreign" means "out of this state".

"[Rounders] is popular among British and Irish school children, particularly among girls. As of 2015 it is played by seven million children in the UK."

* BU508A is delivering some tea bags to med6753.     :-DD

You know what to do!  >:D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75478 on: November 17, 2020, 09:38:59 am »
It's the cricket scoring system that confuses most people. I like to explain it like this: If soccer was scored like cricket, they would not only count the goals, but also how far they were away from the goal posts, how far each player had run, how many times they kicked the ball, how long since they'd been to the barbers, how many oranges they ate at half time and what age they were when they learnt to tie their shoelaces.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75479 on: November 17, 2020, 09:41:10 am »

* BU508A is delivering some tea bags to med6753.     :-DD

You know what to do!  >:D

The CR-V is loaded with crates of that crap and I'm on my way to Boston right now.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75480 on: November 17, 2020, 09:45:37 am »
One of the strangest endings to a baseball game ever played.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75481 on: November 17, 2020, 09:48:48 am »
I tell everyone to fuck off and buy an iPad now. It ain’t worth it  :-DD

I guess I'm a sucker for a damsel in distress.  :-DD

Yes, but you should always ask yourself how the damsel got to be in distress in the first place...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75482 on: November 17, 2020, 09:54:52 am »
I tell everyone to fuck off and buy an iPad now. It ain’t worth it  :-DD

I guess I'm a sucker for a damsel in distress.  :-DD

Yes, but you should always ask yourself how the damsel got to be in distress in the first place...

Through their own fault but they have to blame someone else.  ;D

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #75483 on: November 17, 2020, 10:04:13 am »
How to confuse your German scrabble friends. Also a nationality test.

Chuchichäschtli (if you pronounce it correctly it proves that you are from Switzerland)

Oachkatzlschwoaf (now guess what this is ...)

:D

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #75484 on: November 17, 2020, 10:07:59 am »
In other news, I am trying to fix:

the Raaco boxes that I got for little money. They are all bent due to transport/shipping damage.
the Raaco carousel for holding 12 of those Raaco boxes.

This one. Note: price is without boxes, the boxes are 67€ apiece.
https://www.reichelt.de/de/de/drehturm-1200-1760-mm-12-faecher-raaco-1200-p54482.html?PROVID=2788&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhs79BRD0ARIsAC6XpaUbbAUxtaQ7ZRWYGh4RwKxZ1Uo9Buh9YvUCemiDhUvYoRcXmaT5c7waAukwEALw_wcB&&r=1

Once that is done, I should have enough space to take care of those little chipsies, capacitors, .....

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #75485 on: November 17, 2020, 10:21:14 am »

Chuchichäschtli (if you pronounce it correctly it proves that you are from Switzerland)

Not necessarily.  ;D
Also valid is "Chuchichänschterli".  "Chriesichratte" is also very well known here where I live.  ;D

And I do know, what an "Oachkoatzlschwoaf" is. I tried for a long time to teach this word to one of my french colleagues.   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75486 on: November 17, 2020, 10:22:13 am »

• Each man that’s in the side that’s in the field goes out and when he’s out comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.
  • When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
  • When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.
  • There are men called umpires who stay out all the time, and they decide when the men who are in are out.
  • Depending on the weather and the light, the umpires can also send everybody in, no matter whether they’re in or out.
  • When both sides have been in and all the men are out (including those who are not out), then the game is finished.
It should be noted that each important international game can last up to 5 days, and often ends in a draw. There are 5 such test games in each test series.

More detailed explantions include terms like stumps, run out, googly, leg before wicket, no ball, silly mid on and silly mid off - and many others

That makes things a lot clearer, thanks!
Now why is it I'm thinking of Clockwork Orange?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75487 on: November 17, 2020, 10:35:36 am »
It's the cricket scoring system that confuses most people. I like to explain it like this: If soccer was scored like cricket, they would not only count the goals, but also how far they were away from the goal posts, how far each player had run, how many times they kicked the ball, how long since they'd been to the barbers, how many oranges they ate at half time and what age they were when they learnt to tie their shoelaces.

The only thing that matters is the number of runs scored.

"365 (runs) for 9 (wickets)" is exactly the same as "365 for 2", except that in the former case more batsmen are out and so the innings (and probably game) is nearer a conclusion.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75488 on: November 17, 2020, 11:01:08 am »

Not necessarily.  ;D
Also valid is "Chuchichänschterli".  "Chriesichratte" is also very well known here where I live.  ;D

And I do know, what an "Oachkoatzlschwoaf" is. I tried for a long time to teach this word to one of my french colleagues.   :-DD

I'm pretty sure that none of those words are in the Duden, so it's unlikely that they would be accepted in a game of Scrabble.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #75489 on: November 17, 2020, 11:44:13 am »
I could in fact have the perfect machine to run it

I can't imagine you without a perfect machine, it is just a matter of time worst case.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #75490 on: November 17, 2020, 01:42:45 pm »
No pics today, but I made a fairly major change in the lab. Got a Husky 46" mobile workbench at Home Despot...I finally have real tool storage for the lab, including a sweet full width drawer that is perfect for holding unwieldy RF things like trombone lines. And a sturdy surface to stack some heavy HP gear till I can work out racks.  :-DD

[edit] this is also why I skipped discord today; I decided not to stop working on this rearrangement!

The Lady asked me today what I wanted for Christmas. My current toolbox is overflowing and so heavy I can hardly lift it.

Bingo.  :-+ ;D

This is the second Husky thing I've gotten and I'm impressed with the build quality. It's not as good as the most expensive stuff you could buy I'm sure, but it strikes a good balance for not breaking the bank. Husky is definitely a damn sight better than the shite they are putting the "Craftsman" name on nowadays. IMO.  :palm:

I have 2 Husky toolboxes.  A 61" in the garage that was a gift from Mrs. GreyWoolfe and a 26" in my office.  I, too, am impressed with the build quality.  She gave me basically a $1,500 budget because she wanted to buy me a Milwaukee that I didn't really like.  Saved enough money that I was able to upgrade my 8 gallon compressor to a Husky 30 gallon and still have money for bits and bobs for the compressor.  The tool chests are solidly made. I don't know how they would last in a shop environment, but here they will last long past I will have passed.  The one in the garage is red and the office one is black.  My only nit to pick is the "positive close" drawers.  I have to manually ease the drawers closed or the hand tools slide after a couple of closings.  I had looked at Husky, Craftsman, Milwaukee and harbor freight and the 61" best suited my needs.  I now wish I would have gotten the 72".  Going from an old Craftsman 26" and having stuff all over the garage, I thought I would have plenty of space to grow.  Thanks to some garage sales, the damn thing is pretty full now.
Isn't Kennedy the stuff to get over there for toolboxes?

It is if you're a professional user.  They are made for machinists and mechanics.  I am strictly DIY.  A 40" bottom roller is more expensive than my 61", compressor and all the new goodies for the compressor.  When I bought mine, the Harbor Freight ICON series hadn't come out yet.  I did go to my local store to look.  Very impressive and very well made.  Also way out of the budget I had.  That line, I am guessing, was designed to compete against Snap-on, Matco and other tool truck big buck boxes.  The Husky really was the best choice. It had more drawers that were shallow, which I like.  I have my drawers organized by item and thick drawers would have been a waste for me.  Even for my sockets, I don't use stand up socket holders, so a shallow drawer still worked.  The red color really stands out instead of black.  The box also rolls surprisingly easy with the larger pivot wheels in the middle.  I spent an inordinate amount of time researching toolboxes, looking at price, size, features, build quality, thickness of the steel and so on.  I also read tons of reviews.  Don't get me wrong, if the budget was quite a bit larger, I could have really had some fun.  However, I don't regret the purchase one bit.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #75491 on: November 17, 2020, 01:56:05 pm »
@mnem I have just installed Win7 on a Ryzen 3600 because I was genuinely fed up with those W10 nag thingies and the Hive's agents trying to take over my life. Now trying to hack into some strange silo to transmit GPS coordinates to somewhere ... >:D   Just kidding ...
It shuts up if you join it to an AD. I have a Samba server for that.

It also doesn't do that if you just ignore it and let it do its thing. Whether you feel that's unreasonable has as much to do with an honest assessment of yourself as a citizen as the level of intrusion Windoze-as-a-service-where-you-are-the-product represents.

If you're a radical [insert ideology here], or a dangerous [insert criminal vocation here],  or young enough to have energy for tilting at [insert personal bugbear social/political/economic outrage here] windmills, then by all means fight the future and learn to love one of the O-S OSes that are perpetually unfinished. er.

Otherwise, learn to live with the fact that humanity as a whole has voted with their dollars, and would rather sell their souls for a "free" OS that watches them every minute of every day, waking or not, than pay for an OS they own at least enough to be able to make some privacy demands of those who produce it. Google broke the for-pay OS model by giving a working portable *NIX-derivative OS to the worst pirates on the planet (telecom carriers) for free to molest their customers with 24/7/365. And the customers cheered them on.

Now your choice is to either pay Apple a small fortune for the whole hardware/software bundle, and trust that you are paying them enough to keep your secrets, or use something that just plain works (to certain definitions of the word "work") most of the time but watches you like Big Brother, or become a part-time coder and run some *NIX derivative, because that IS still what is required, no matter how loudly the *NIX on the Desktop weenies may cry that *NIX is being so horribly misrepresented. :palm:

Myself... I've done the "in the cold harsh light of the morning after" self-assessment... and I realize that I'm an overweight, retirement-age furry with pretty much zero extra-curricular activity and long past the age where "having a cause" is part of my daily life. I don't do anything anybody gives half a shit aboot, and I don't have enough money for any of the professional scammers to send anything but the lowliest of their scam-bots after me. And I've had my fill of being a part-time programmer just to keep a e-machine/game console running.

In short, I don't do or have anything worth taking. I don't care if they watch me. So Winbloze it is.

*Waves at the data-miner-bots in Redmond* "Hi guys! thanks for wasting so much more money watching me than I'm worth! At least somebody cares!"

mnem
And same is true of my dad and his laptop.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 04:48:05 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #75492 on: November 17, 2020, 02:00:05 pm »

Isn't Kennedy the stuff to get over there for toolboxes?

It is if you're a professional user.  They are made for machinists and mechanics.
And here I was thinking it was impossible to be a machinist in USA without a Gerstner toolchest.  :-DD

I've got an Ebay search going, but people seem to know what those boxes are worth  |O ..

I do have a Moore & Wright one, which true to form holds my threading tools and special machinist gear, but I could easily fill two more. I gave the wife one of the cheaper clones which she uses for her silversmithing tools.  We like our boxes here.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #75493 on: November 17, 2020, 02:04:30 pm »

That makes things a lot clearer, thanks!   Now why is it I'm thinking of Clockwork Orange?   

I was thinking blernsball, but whatev...

mnem
*poot!*
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 02:08:12 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75494 on: November 17, 2020, 02:37:46 pm »
I learned the expression from a pinball machine .... several decades ago.

Baseball:
Hit the ball and run.....
 * Get to first base = single
 * Get to second base = double
 * Get to third base = triple
 * Get all the way around = home run!

I believe there are some finer details involved - but that's the broad stroke description.

Ah, so exactly \$4 \frac{1}{11}\$ runs in International Stickball, working on the basis that a NA Stickball diamond is 90' a side (had to look that up) and a proper Stickball wicket is 1 chain long (didn't have to look that one up). I can see the problems a dragon might have with International Stickball, tail sending bails and stumps flying left, right and centre at the end of each run.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #75495 on: November 17, 2020, 03:47:53 pm »
Ice-Tea - LeCroy WavePro 7000: 1 - 33689

But as I got in the last point, the game is still mine. Now please don't ask me to count the hours or I may vry a little.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, med6753, mnementh, bd139, shakalnokturn, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75496 on: November 17, 2020, 04:54:31 pm »
Well, I see that misdescribed HP 428B DC current meter on ebay didn't shift. This one:

Looks very tidy for its age. I was tempted myself but decided in the end that I didn't want the hassle of adding something with valves in it to a valve-free household.

I took the trouble to grab the manual for it and the principle of operation is, as is often the case with older simpler gear, quite interesting. None of your hall effect sensors, oh no, uses the DC magnetic flux to alter the operating point of a transformer being used as the sensor head, injects an AC signal into the transformer and then nulls that with another signal, the feedback signal that drives the level of the nulling signal is proportional to the DC flux and that is what gets indicated. Very neat, and only 3 dual triodes, 3 pentodes, 4 vacuum diodes as a bridge/synchronous detector, and three transistors in the whole thing (There's a couple of silicon diodes too, but they're just used to derive a bias voltage, they hardly count).

Well, that was the first thing of any real interest that I've seen on eBay in weeks. Everything else has been either "got one", "don't need that", or "You're asking what for that!?".

Oh well, back to searching dolorously and fruitlessly for something interesting to buy, or so cheap that I can't not buy it.

The following users thanked this post: jemotrain

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #75497 on: November 17, 2020, 05:05:53 pm »
This may never be the most usefull bit of kit I ever bought, but Dear Lord it's pretty. Or classy.

Cooky if you guess what it is.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75498 on: November 17, 2020, 05:07:27 pm »
"Don't want the hassle of adding valves to a valve free household".  :wtf:

What you got against vacuum tubes?  :-//

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75499 on: November 17, 2020, 05:14:25 pm »
Nothing per se, but it's a whole other world that I left behind last time we had a vacuum tube TV in my childhood.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf