Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16723894 times)

Vince and 119 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #75450 on: November 16, 2020, 10:24:01 pm »
From the "Free HellDesk Support for the Rest of Your Life" Dept...

I am currently installing Windoze 1903 Update on my dad's laptop via TeamViewer; having just installed  :wtf: - EVAR!!! version came before. When and if it comes back up so I can again connect via TeamViewer, I'll direct it to install whatever version is current, as 1903 goes EOL in less than a month.  ::)

i have no doubt my father has been clicking the "go away!" button on every nag screen Winblows has popped up since I gave him the laptop 2 years ago.  :palm:

mnem
Patience was born in China.

I use TeamViewer often to fix minor issues and update programs but NEVER for a major update. Good luck.  :-DD

Edit....and yes....I am the "Free Help Desk for Life" for several individuals too.  :palm:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 10:26:35 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75451 on: November 16, 2020, 10:24:36 pm »
I tell everyone to fuck off and buy an iPad now. It ain’t worth it  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75452 on: November 16, 2020, 10:27:47 pm »
I tell everyone to fuck off and buy an iPad now. It ain’t worth it  :-DD

I guess I'm a sucker for a damsel in distress.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75453 on: November 16, 2020, 10:28:57 pm »
I’m not. I made that mistake once already.  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #75454 on: November 16, 2020, 11:55:46 pm »
From the "Free HellDesk Support for the Rest of Your Life" Dept...

I am currently installing Windoze 1903 Update on my dad's laptop via TeamViewer; having just installed  :wtf: - EVAR!!! version came before. When and if it comes back up so I can again connect via TeamViewer, I'll direct it to install whatever version is current, as 1903 goes EOL in less than a month.  ::)

i have no doubt my father has been clicking the "go away!" button on every nag screen Winblows has popped up since I gave him the laptop 2 years ago.  :palm:

mnem
Patience was born in China.

I use TeamViewer often to fix minor issues and update programs but NEVER for a major update. Good luck.  :-DD

Edit....and yes....I am the "Free Help Desk for Life" for several individuals too.  :palm:

Welp... based on this, it was on 1803 when I logged in this afternoon... it was nagging to allow it to install 1809, which I did and I logged in again and installed 1903. I was gonna give it one more whirl with 2004, but Windoze Urpdate insists everything is up to date, even after a couple reboots, so fuggitt. :-//

mnem
*punt*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75455 on: November 17, 2020, 12:12:17 am »
Don’t go near 20H4. It’s fucked. They’re pushing another version out next week to unfuck it.

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75456 on: November 17, 2020, 01:34:04 am »
Don’t go near 20H4. It’s fucked. They’re pushing another version out next week to unfuck it.

You mentioned that a few weeks ago but I upgraded to 20H4 on here (laptop) and the Media PC without an issues. 

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #75457 on: November 17, 2020, 01:34:41 am »
Well they were kind of flammable  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75458 on: November 17, 2020, 01:48:22 am »

I know. I rolled back to 2004 when 20H4 installed itself & kept crashing on filesystem errors. That's what I was talking aboot a while back; where I think it's part of the dev process for a ARM-64 compliant version.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 01:52:18 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #75459 on: November 17, 2020, 04:02:24 am »

You mentioned that a few weeks ago but I upgraded to 20H4 on here (laptop) and the Media PC without an issues.

No issues here either, in the HellDesk for life taking care of the mother-in-law.  However, it took most of an hour to force trick the boat-anchor BIOS into booting from a 8GB USB stick.  20H4 64-bit only was too large to fit onto a single-layer DVD.  After that, it all went very well for the install.  Yes, that included making sure that the Ethernet cable was UNPLUGGED during the setup and configuration.  It seems to be working fine after several days.

Since this is HellDesk, her new computer is still a challenge.  It freezes up very shortly after start-up, not even enough time to run HWiNFO or MemTest86.  The BIOS (or modern equivalent on a B350M) feels quite hot to the touch; is that abnormal?  The only other machine I can swap parts with for troubleshooting is my recent Ryzen 3600 build; not sure I want to risk that.  With BlackFriday sales starting, looking for recommendations on a B550M, probably with Ryzen 2600.  I assume ASRock is a good bet?

Of course, HellDesk never ends.  Her laptop is running nicely now.  Replaced the HDD with a SSD and now running only a single AntiVirus suite, instead of 3 at once  :wtf:

And it is just not HellDesk without something new.  She asked me to find all her photos on her portable HDD.  Several years ago, she had a computer shop add all her files from the boat-anchor mentioned earlier to the HDD.  It turns out they did a disk clone and all her photos are long gone.  That sucked to break the bad news to her.

Is Hell freezing cold or is it an unbearable furnace?  The B350M might be the judge of that... that, or finding nordic ski gear for a 7 year old.  What do you mean, the only boots available in his kid size are the same model used by world cup skiers (with the matching very high-end price)  :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 04:07:32 am by cyclin_al »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75460 on: November 17, 2020, 04:12:05 am »
I suggest the kid take up basketball. Very low cost of entry.  >:D

I've never regretted the money spent on ASUS. Can't say the same for ASRock. Also, their TUF Gaming boards are amazing bang/buck, and built like a brick shithouse for whatever application you plan to run them in.

mnem
I also suggest that a certain fat bastahd dwagon should also take up basketball... :o
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 04:16:37 am by mnementh »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #75461 on: November 17, 2020, 04:18:23 am »
For a second I thought you said baseball .... and I had a weird vision of a dwagon running a triple....

:o

Back in a minute or three.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #75462 on: November 17, 2020, 04:24:19 am »
@mnem I have just installed Win7 on a Ryzen 3600 because I was genuinely fed up with those W10 nag thingies and the Hive's agents trying to take over my life.
Now trying to hack into some strange silo to transmit GPS coordinates to somewhere ... >:D

Just kidding ...

It shuts up if you join it to an AD. I have a Samba server for that.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75463 on: November 17, 2020, 04:46:03 am »
For a second I thought you said baseball .... and I had a weird vision of a dwagon running a triple....

You're going to have to explain that for those of us who don't have that version of Stickball in our countries.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75464 on: November 17, 2020, 04:48:45 am »
Is Hell freezing cold or is it an unbearable furnace?  The B350M might be the judge of that... that, or finding nordic ski gear for a 7 year old.  What do you mean, the only boots available in his kid size are the same model used by world cup skiers (with the matching very high-end price)  :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

You have to remind me, which bit of the GWN are you in? (Just trying to assess quite how frozen your particular corner of Frozen Hellhole is.)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #75465 on: November 17, 2020, 05:27:41 am »

You have to remind me, which bit of the GWN are you in? (Just trying to assess quite how frozen your particular corner of Frozen Hellhole is.)

:-DD  I was not measuring the temperature of Hell based on geography.  Hell is hot if that BIOS is hot enough to self-destruct and take out the motherboard.  Hell is as cold as my frozen wallet; I admit to trying to score a jammy-git.  Those high-end boots are going back to the store for some other sucker to buy.  I found another model for half the price online and have placed an order.  The appropriate boot, which is unavailable, would be one fifth the price of the high-end boot.

To answer your question, I am in the vicinity of the national capital Ottawa.  We often see temperatures down to -20 C (dress appropriately) and on a rare occasion -35 overnight (stay indoors).  A common winter afternoon at -10 is quite enjoyable if we are active (do not just stand around).  A normal summer time is typically in the +20's, although this last summer saw a lot of days into the 30s.

Speaking of basketball, I did get a stand and hoop for free the other week.  They guy throwing it out into his trash actually helped me load it into my truck.  Now I need a reasonable playing surface.  I work in the national capital, but live where there is no asphalt anywhere in the neighbourhood.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75466 on: November 17, 2020, 06:49:31 am »

You're going to have to explain that for those of us who don't have that version of Stickball in our countries.

In Oz, we are pretty Eucumenical in our sports----we even play American Football in a small way!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #75467 on: November 17, 2020, 07:14:14 am »
I learned the expression from a pinball machine .... several decades ago.

Baseball:
Hit the ball and run.....
 * Get to first base = single
 * Get to second base = double
 * Get to third base = triple
 * Get all the way around = home run!

I believe there are some finer details involved - but that's the broad stroke description.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #75468 on: November 17, 2020, 07:44:42 am »
Baseball, isn't that the game developed for the people which find the cricket rules a bit confusing?  ;)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #75469 on: November 17, 2020, 08:33:10 am »
@mansaxel

thanks for the hint. I originally wanted to get around that AD stuff, but it seems that I could in fact have the perfect machine to run it. Low energy as well.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #75470 on: November 17, 2020, 08:51:49 am »
Baseball, isn't that the game developed for the people which find the cricket rules a bit confusing?  ;)

We regard baseball as rounders played by myopic grown up men.

"Myopic" because the definition of "foreign" is based on that used by US TV news programmes, where "foreign" means "out of this state".

"[Rounders] is popular among British and Irish school children, particularly among girls. As of 2015 it is played by seven million children in the UK."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounders
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 08:54:46 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #75471 on: November 17, 2020, 09:04:08 am »
A few minutes ago, BU508A sniped 23 NOS VFR S102JT resistors from the VPG.

Spec: 100R, 0.01%

Price: ca. 6 Euro / resistor.

:scared:  ;D   :-+
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75472 on: November 17, 2020, 09:16:33 am »
I learned the expression from a pinball machine .... several decades ago.

Baseball:
Hit the ball and run.....
 * Get to first base = single
 * Get to second base = double
 * Get to third base = triple
 * Get all the way around = home run!

I believe there are some finer details involved - but that's the broad stroke description.

Give that man a cookie.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75473 on: November 17, 2020, 09:19:07 am »

Confusing for sure. I've watched Cricket a few times and tried to figure out what's going on. Nope, not happening.  :-// :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75474 on: November 17, 2020, 09:24:50 am »

We regard baseball as rounders played by myopic grown up men.

"Myopic" because the definition of "foreign" is based on that used by US TV news programmes, where "foreign" means "out of this state".

"[Rounders] is popular among British and Irish school children, particularly among girls. As of 2015 it is played by seven million children in the UK."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rounders

That right there is typical British snobbery.  ::) :horse:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf