Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16726897 times)

zrq, Cesar_D, Peter_O and 103 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #75425 on: November 16, 2020, 03:33:35 pm »
A small box of electrical TE just arrived here.

These look interesting.  The device on the left's obviously an insulation tester.  Is the one on the right an earth bond tester?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #75426 on: November 16, 2020, 04:15:21 pm »
She has got a key safe which was discovered this morning. No one knew about it (i certainly didn't) and the police did not see it or even check for one as it's on the back of the building and well hidden :palm: :palm: :palm:. I have got her carer's details and phone number now who has access details and 24/7 availability. She came round this morning to say thank you for caring enough to get someone to check and apologise for being a "bit of a moo" last night in her own words.

That's good.

There's little point in having a visible keysafe. What is needed is someone that knows where it is and the combination.

Incidentally, mathematically they are combination locks, unlike normal safe locks which are actually permutation locks :) (Combination => you can press the right buttons in any order)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 04:17:23 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #75427 on: November 16, 2020, 04:18:41 pm »
The Warrior and the Stallion:  a Marilyn Whirlwind Story (Northern Exposure)

My uncle once told me about a warrior who had a fine stallion.  Everyone said how lucky
he was to have such a horse...

Isn't this a Chinese story? :-DD At least his name in China is "The old man at the border lost a horse"

It's a fable. Most of humanity's established fables predate written history; they were passed down from one generation to the next by village elders and traveling bards. This one obviously originated in one of the prehistoric horse cultures; so I'd guess Northern Africa, China, Arabia; somewhere in the regions nearest what we consider the cradle of humanity where domestication of wild horses and warrior cultures happened together. I was just quoting from where I was exposed to it in the form it came to me. :-//

mnem
Everything came from somewhere.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75428 on: November 16, 2020, 04:50:33 pm »

My uncle once told me about a warrior who had a fine stallion.  Everyone said how lucky

Isn't this a Chinese story? :-DD At least his name in China is "The old man at the border lost a horse"

It's a fable. Most of humanity's established fables predate written history; they were passed down from one generation to the next by village elders and traveling bards. This one obviously originated in one of the prehistoric horse cultures; so I'd guess Northern Africa, China, Arabia; somewhere in the regions nearest what we consider the cradle of humanity where domestication of wild horses and warrior cultures happened together. I was just quoting from where I was exposed to it in the form it came to me. :-//

mnem

Fables, stories, and "old sayings" have always fascinated me -  kind of human BIOS code, that enhances survival chances!  :D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75429 on: November 16, 2020, 04:55:13 pm »
Teach man to make fire, he be warm for a night. Set man on fire, he be warm for rest of his life!

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, BU508A, Specmaster, ch_scr, shakalnokturn, mansaxel

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75430 on: November 16, 2020, 05:17:37 pm »
Native man make small fire, keeps warm. Colonial man makes big fire, keeps warm making fire. Colonial man's bosses back home make bigger fire, keep warm burning Catholics.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, mansaxel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75431 on: November 16, 2020, 05:20:14 pm »
Well they were kind of flammable  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #75432 on: November 16, 2020, 05:31:38 pm »
Teach man to make fire, he be warm for a night. Set man on fire, he be warm for rest of his life!

I usually try this rule on my scout groups, to see which of them grok it. Much hilarious.

Related:

Time flies like an arrow,
Banana flies like a fruit.

~~  time-nuttery ~~ 

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75433 on: November 16, 2020, 06:06:28 pm »
Here is a treat for you lot who are fans of Fran Blanche and also Pipe Organs. She has a tour of the entire works of The Wanamaker Grand Court Organ, in Philadelphia which is installed in Maceys store. Very interesting and lots of details. There are 3 parts to this tour.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75434 on: November 16, 2020, 06:08:49 pm »
A small box of electrical TE just arrived here.

These look interesting.  The device on the left's obviously an insulation tester.  Is the one on the right an earth bond tester?

The one on the right does earth resistivity measurements only. It has a weird 3 pin socket for RS232 connectivity.

The one on the left (the insulation tester) does earth bond testing at 200mA. It also seems to have a header in the battery compartment for an optional RS232 link. Maybe NeomysSapiens knows about this?

Shit appears out of nowhere, the rest comes mainly from eBay...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75435 on: November 16, 2020, 06:48:40 pm »

Man who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly fingers.

mnem
A mind is a terrible thing. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75436 on: November 16, 2020, 07:30:22 pm »

mnem
A mind is a terrible thing, only if that mind belongs to the wrong person  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75437 on: November 16, 2020, 07:31:12 pm »
Fucktard alert. Steele the twat is back. Decided to spawn a thread... https://www.eevblog.com/forum/dodgy-technology/taking-on-the-5g-nutjobs/msg3329150/

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #75438 on: November 16, 2020, 07:53:52 pm »
Go bd, we need any reasonable brain cell we can find against youtube.

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #75439 on: November 16, 2020, 07:56:20 pm »
How much will cost to CNC this plate see attachment?

My guess 70€.

First guy responded: 194 trumpets for one plate, 343 for two.

second guy: 134 Euro shipping included.

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75440 on: November 16, 2020, 09:05:15 pm »

mnem

Fables, stories, and "old sayings" have always fascinated me -  kind of human BIOS code, that enhances survival chances!  :D

Yes, being able to pass on the lessons of a generation to the next constructively as opposed to letting the Darwin Award winners deselect those gene pools which make the wrong choices has definitely allowed us "to evolve faster than evolutionary forces dictate". It's also better for the parent/offspring relationship when each birth that is carried to adulthood doesn't have a dozen siblings which didn't make it. ;)

On the flip side, it has allowed walking Darwin Awards like Anthony Steele to escape their just deserts for far too many generations, so there is always a downside... :o

mnem
*Darwin Award Winner 6 years running*
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 09:33:07 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75441 on: November 16, 2020, 09:06:41 pm »
The window A/C black foam filter bulk pack arrived today. Cut a piece to size and decided to mount it directly behind the front screen rather than in the slot closer to the fan. The advantage to this arrangement is that I can hoover it (how quaint  ;D) and a brush to clean it without disassembling the front cover. You can barely see it in this pix.

That was the last item to do.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75442 on: November 16, 2020, 09:10:46 pm »
@bd139 check out his new channel on YT called 5g awareness, yes the g is lowercase

Here is a recent posting on that channel, can anyone tell us that this guy is not dangerous, he is whipping the crowd up to a frenzy and they are then likely to go away and commit acts against 5G towers and other infrastructures.

Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75443 on: November 16, 2020, 09:12:44 pm »

mnem
A mind is a terrible thing, only if that mind belongs to the wrong person  >:D

Statistically speaking, they're ALL the wrong person.  >:D

mnem
"That... is a universal translator. We're not even supposed to have it; I'll tell you why: Human thought is so primitive it's looked upon as an infectious disease in some of the better galaxies. That kind of makes you proud, doesn't it?" ~Agent K: MiB
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 09:21:33 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75444 on: November 16, 2020, 09:20:21 pm »
From the "Free HellDesk Support for the Rest of Your Life" Dept...

I am currently installing Windoze 1903 Update on my dad's laptop via TeamViewer; having just installed  :wtf: - EVAR!!! version came before. When and if it comes back up so I can again connect via TeamViewer, I'll direct it to install whatever version is current, as 1903 goes EOL in less than a month.  ::)

i have no doubt my father has been clicking the "go away!" button on every nag screen Winblows has popped up since I gave him the laptop 2 years ago.  :palm:

mnem
Patience was born in China.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75445 on: November 16, 2020, 09:29:54 pm »
No pics today, but I made a fairly major change in the lab. Got a Husky 46" mobile workbench at Home Despot...I finally have real tool storage for the lab, including a sweet full width drawer that is perfect for holding unwieldy RF things like trombone lines. And a sturdy surface to stack some heavy HP gear till I can work out racks.  :-DD

[edit] this is also why I skipped discord today; I decided not to stop working on this rearrangement!

The Lady asked me today what I wanted for Christmas. My current toolbox is overflowing and so heavy I can hardly lift it.

Bingo.  :-+ ;D

This is the second Husky thing I've gotten and I'm impressed with the build quality. It's not as good as the most expensive stuff you could buy I'm sure, but it strikes a good balance for not breaking the bank. Husky is definitely a damn sight better than the shite they are putting the "Craftsman" name on nowadays. IMO.  :palm:

I have 2 Husky toolboxes.  A 61" in the garage that was a gift from Mrs. GreyWoolfe and a 26" in my office.  I, too, am impressed with the build quality.  She gave me basically a $1,500 budget because she wanted to buy me a Milwaukee that I didn't really like.  Saved enough money that I was able to upgrade my 8 gallon compressor to a Husky 30 gallon and still have money for bits and bobs for the compressor.  The tool chests are solidly made. I don't know how they would last in a shop environment, but here they will last long past I will have passed.  The one in the garage is red and the office one is black.  My only nit to pick is the "positive close" drawers.  I have to manually ease the drawers closed or the hand tools slide after a couple of closings.  I had looked at Husky, Craftsman, Milwaukee and harbor freight and the 61" best suited my needs.  I now wish I would have gotten the 72".  Going from an old Craftsman 26" and having stuff all over the garage, I thought I would have plenty of space to grow.  Thanks to some garage sales, the damn thing is pretty full now.
Isn't Kennedy the stuff to get over there for toolboxes?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #75446 on: November 16, 2020, 09:33:09 pm »
@mnem I have just installed Win7 on a Ryzen 3600 because I was genuinely fed up with those W10 nag thingies and the Hive's agents trying to take over my life.
Now trying to hack into some strange silo to transmit GPS coordinates to somewhere ... >:D

Just kidding ...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75447 on: November 16, 2020, 09:46:16 pm »

mnem

Yes, being able to pass on the lessons of a generation to the next constructively as opposed to letting the Darwin Award winners deselect those gene pools which make the wrong choices has definitely allowed us "to evolve faster than evolutionary forces dictate". It's also better for the parent/offspring relationship when each birth that is carried to adulthood doesn't have a dozen siblings which didn't make it. ;)

On the flip side, it has allowed walking Darwin Awards like Anthony Steele to escape their just deserts for far too many generations, so there is always a downside... :o

mnem
*Darwin Award Winner 6 years running*

The problem with Darwin is that it's imperfect. It doesn't always snag the dumb ones.  ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #75448 on: November 16, 2020, 10:00:19 pm »
The problem with Darwin is that it's imperfect. It doesn't always snag the dumb ones.  ::)
Being dumb may be a desirable trait. There's hope for us yet.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75449 on: November 16, 2020, 10:20:56 pm »
Being dumb may be a desirable trait. There's hope for us yet.

Well of course, without 'dumb' we'd run out of call centre operators, middle managers and politicians.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf