Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17511653 times)

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #75375 on: November 15, 2020, 09:03:28 pm »
I have one too, nice equipment. "Supports up to 32 GB SDHC memory card with class 4 and above." says the manual.

Ah ok, thanks for that.  I don't know if it's attributable to learning disabilities or what but I really struggle with the way the current Keysight manuals are written.  They aren't totally impenetrable but I find them a lot more difficult to read than the old Hewlett Packard ones were.  I'm making pretty quick progress learning how to use the camera though and it's been a lot of fun getting the knack of it.

Anyhow, I remembered I had an old laptop kicking around that's got a built in SD card reader plus Snow Leopard on it which has the non-watered down version of Disk Utility.  I really don't feel like fighting with the command line over this.  Anyways, I blew away the 64 GB SD card and split it into two 31 and change GB partitions, one free space and the other FAT 32.  The camera still complains about the SD card so the 2 GB one went back in since it can't be fooled by gimmicking the file system.  The 64 GB cards are going to a friend who shoots a DSLR and I'll pick up something adequately small later.

This is the picture you want to see on it: Ice cold beer :)

McBryce.

Given how my day's going, this is what I need to see on it:

This would be coffee #4 by my count.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 09:06:19 pm by 25 CPS »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75376 on: November 15, 2020, 10:08:09 pm »
OK, everyone step away from the keyboards so I can catch up.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75377 on: November 15, 2020, 11:07:26 pm »
You snooze, you loose  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #75378 on: November 15, 2020, 11:19:06 pm »
Currently having a unnatural relationship with two Chalupas, while corrupting my son with Kung Fu Hustle.

That's what I call family time.  >:D

mnem
Life is good.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #75379 on: November 15, 2020, 11:49:47 pm »
An excellent example of this is the movie "Hidden Figures". If you don't know what it's about go read up on it. Anyway, the woman in this scene successfully programs an IBM 7090 computer that NASA bought but had no idea how to use it. In the background is either a Type 535A or 545A on a cart. I can't find the actual scene where she connects the scope to the 7090. We watched that movie together and afterwards I explained what she was doing. Lady Cop's response? I knew you would know exactly what she was doing but I don't get it.

Thanks med, I saw it yesterday with SWMBO. As soon I started to explain what that scope is she quit me with a tshhhhh.....
It was just a test: fail or pass? It depends.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #75380 on: November 16, 2020, 12:46:43 am »
Several months ago I asked for recommendations on whether which or either a Keysight U1282A or U1252B multimeter with the pulse output would work for feeding pulse train into TTL circuits from some 1970s motor control equipment.  I ended up with a steeply discounted open box U1282A that someone returned.  They probably wanted a Fluke I guess.  But there’s also a guy selling what looks like old stock or refurbed 1252As on eBay so I picked one of those up a while ago.  It’s funny how a drought happens and then there’s an avalanche of steeply discounted gear all at the same time. 

Anyways, it’s not supported according to the documentation I’ve seen which all suggests the remote workflow stuff only came into support on the B revision models in the green/orange/yellow cases (do not get me started up about resistor bands) and not the older A revision blue meters, but I wanted to try out the IR to Bluetooth adapter on the U1252A so I threw together a quick test on the back of the couch in one of the cat’s favourite spots while I was bouncing in and out of the kitchen cooking dinner.

And it works.  The leads were Sneers Crapsman stuff that I picked up from Sayal Electronics which is partway between a traditional electronics supply shop and a liquidator.  The 0.21 ohm there is probably due to the crappy alligator clips I put on the ends which where also noisy as hell.  But the remote capability on that meter is present and operational even though it’s not advertised, just in case anybody’s thinking of picking up one of these on eBay.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 12:48:20 am by 25 CPS »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75381 on: November 16, 2020, 12:51:01 am »
https://youtu.be/L9qRlcgwNqY

you are welcome  :-DD

I quit watching when I saw them boiling all that yummy-looking meat.

mnem
What a waste... :palm:
It’s America. Calling it meat is a big unfair on meat.

I was responding to Saskia's "2 German Guys Cook Sh...tuff" video (above)... for some reason I did not see that you had posted in between.  :o

mnem
 :-//
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 03:30:29 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75382 on: November 16, 2020, 02:22:22 am »
K... still think I'd prefer the bun toasted dark with ham & Swiss. But not in front of anyone doing the Lent thing.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
The bun is way too sweet for that. It's not a roll, it's a sweet bun. Now, parts of Northern America have no meaningful way to distinguish between those; both bagels and muffins are definitely on the sweet side from my perspective and most North Americans have only heard of truly dark bread as  something one might find in strange places in Pennsylvania or Brooklyn.  Or in MRE's from Germany (Dosenbrot, typically).   

But you gotta believe me on this: ham and "cheese" (only the posh have actually seen proper cheese in the US. I base this on having to go to a Whole Foods to find Gruyère in Vegas. They had whole grain bagels too. Made for a week of nice breakfasts.) on that bun is a no-go.

Pfffft. One of my favorite breakfastses is ham and Swiss on a toasted, buttered cinnamon-raisin bagel with lots of Honey Dijon mustard. I can totes see that working with your buns all toasty and buttered.  >:D

mnem
*breaditarian*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75383 on: November 16, 2020, 02:52:28 am »
Dang. Weird night so far. 02:45 here.  I managed to get my elderly neighbour’s door kicked down by the police. TV full whack and living room light on at 1:30AM which is very unusual and didn’t answer the door to me. So I call her daughter (as requested) and the police. So they get a ladder and she’s sitting in her chair not moving or responding to them shining torch on her. Took them ten minutes to get though the door by ramming in shaking the entire building to bits. And she finally wakes up literally when they’re standing in the living room with a paramedic  :palm: :palm:. Locksmith out sorting the door at the moment.

Can’t sleep now. Looking at test gear on eBay  :-DD

Edit: just found out she’s 96 and she hates my guts now :(. Her daughter said this is the fifth time they thought she was dead though so it’s not my fault.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 03:04:10 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Zucca, SilverSolder, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75384 on: November 16, 2020, 03:19:19 am »
Microsoft has just released a test system for the sprinkler in your apartment.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1326480930555326469

When I saw that, first thing I thought was "vape smoke". Fuckwidgets.  :palm:

mnem
"Always some muthafucka tryin' ta skate uphill."

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75385 on: November 16, 2020, 03:29:45 am »
Dang. Weird night so far. 02:45 here.  I managed to get my elderly neighbour’s door kicked down by the police. TV full whack and living room light on at 1:30AM which is very unusual and didn’t answer the door to me. So I call her daughter (as requested) and the police. So they get a ladder and she’s sitting in her chair not moving or responding to them shining torch on her. Took them ten minutes to get though the door by ramming in shaking the entire building to bits. And she finally wakes up literally when they’re standing in the living room with a paramedic  :palm: :palm:. Locksmith out sorting the door at the moment.

Edit: just found out she’s 96 and she hates my guts now :(. Her daughter said this is the fifth time they thought she was dead though so it’s not my fault.

She should be thanking you for making sure she is alive. 'nuther fuckwidget.  :palm:

mnem
At least now she knows she's alive.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75386 on: November 16, 2020, 03:55:24 am »

If you get a knock on the door don't answer it.  :P :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #75387 on: November 16, 2020, 04:40:47 am »

I was responding to Saskia's "2 German Guys Cook Sh...tuff" video (above)... for some reason I did not see that you had posted in between.  :o

I thought that looked quite tasty. And a proper way to treat pork.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #75388 on: November 16, 2020, 04:43:53 am »

Pfffft. One of my favorite breakfastses is ham and Swiss on a toasted, buttered cinnamon-raisin bagel with lots of Honey Dijon mustard. I can totes see that working with your buns all toasty and buttered.  >:D

mnem
*breaditarian*

Believe me, I get the bagel, it makes sense. . This bun is so fluffy it won't work the same way.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #75389 on: November 16, 2020, 06:40:14 am »

Suck it up princess.  We all have to deal with that.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75390 on: November 16, 2020, 08:05:57 am »
Yup. I was away for two days once. I learned my lesson  :-DD

3 hours sleep. Today is going to be interesting  |O

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75391 on: November 16, 2020, 08:37:29 am »

Suck it up princess.  We all have to deal with that.

Oh but I am a princess.  ;D

So there.  :P :P

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75392 on: November 16, 2020, 08:39:52 am »

Welcome to the insomnia club. I often go with 2 or 3 hours.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #75393 on: November 16, 2020, 08:48:05 am »
In the boat anchor section.... a HP 8616A,  1,8GHz-4,5 GHz ..why ??? :palm:  Why not  :-DD

Commin' my way
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, factory

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75394 on: November 16, 2020, 08:49:01 am »

Welcome to the insomnia club. I often go with 2 or 3 hours.
likewise, I find if I go to bed too early, I wake up still feeling tired.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75395 on: November 16, 2020, 08:49:34 am »
Interesting. The laptop is on battery power even though it's plugged in. Had momentary power dip last night. About 2 or 3 seconds in duration. Apparently the supply didn't come back up. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and now it came up. Now what would cause the SMS supply to not restart?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75396 on: November 16, 2020, 08:51:05 am »
In the boat anchor section.... a HP 8616A,  1,8GHz-4,5 GHz ..why ??? :palm:  Why not  :-DD

Commin' my way
Congratulations, but if you keep acquiring things at this rate, your attic will become your basement  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #75397 on: November 16, 2020, 08:52:40 am »
Interesting. The laptop is on battery power even though it's plugged in. Had momentary power dip last night. About 2 or 3 seconds in duration. Apparently the supply didn't come back up. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and now it came up. Now what would cause the SMS supply to not restart?

maybe it didnt completly shut down.. the outage to short..it went in a weird state..then it did not start becouse of savety protection
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75398 on: November 16, 2020, 08:57:22 am »
My HP Elitebook will do that, it seems to wait until the battery reaches certain voltage before it cuts back in.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #75399 on: November 16, 2020, 09:01:36 am »
My HP Elitebook will do that, it seems to wait until the battery reaches certain voltage before it cuts back in.

I don't think that's the case here. I didn't realize that it WAS on battery until I got a warning that I had approx 10 minutes left until it would shut down. Never did that before. And like I said....unplugging and replugging restored it and now it's charging the battery.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf