Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17506369 times)

ch_scr, TERRA Operative, EggertEnjoyer123, Runco990, Rydda, wkb, rainbow, Robert763 and 65 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #75325 on: November 15, 2020, 07:38:28 am »
Muffins being cooked:

These are called in Germany "Berliner", except in Berlin. In Berlin they are called "Pfannkuchen"   ;D  (and "Krapfen" in Bavaria)

Are you sure? Your picture looks like something with a lot of sugar. The muffin, while not free from sugar, is much more like a small, soft Brötchen0 -- it is the base for things like Eggs Benedict et cetera.

0: I've found a iong article on what a "small roll" is called in German-speaking countries and regions, a search that was started by the breakfast menu on ÖBB Nightjet containing a "Semmel". Negative transfer made us think of this, which is Semla in Swedish. 

In reality the ÖBB Semmel was what I naïvely thought everyone called a Brötchen. Now, I know better.

Also, I was reminded that in Finland, where the Swedish-speaking minority has had 211 years of separation from Sweden (first as a Russian Grand Duchy and then as a free country) they've evolved into calling a Brötchen a "Semla".

« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 07:42:02 am by mansaxel »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #75326 on: November 15, 2020, 08:32:38 am »
How much will cost to CNC this plate see attachment?

My guess 70€.

First guy responded: 194 trumpets for one plate, 343 for two.

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75327 on: November 15, 2020, 08:37:46 am »
No pics today, but I made a fairly major change in the lab. Got a Husky 46" mobile workbench at Home Despot...I finally have real tool storage for the lab, including a sweet full width drawer that is perfect for holding unwieldy RF things like trombone lines. And a sturdy surface to stack some heavy HP gear till I can work out racks.  :-DD

[edit] this is also why I skipped discord today; I decided not to stop working on this rearrangement!

The Lady asked me today what I wanted for Christmas. My current toolbox is overflowing and so heavy I can hardly lift it.

Bingo.  :-+ ;D

So your present is that SHE carries it around for you for a year? :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #75328 on: November 15, 2020, 10:12:15 am »
How much will cost to CNC this plate see attachment?

My guess 70€.

First guy responded: 194 trumpets for one plate, 343 for two.

You still have not revealed if that is milled, laser'd or waterjet cut  ::)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75329 on: November 15, 2020, 10:22:50 am »
He said....

1) My fukkin' saw. When itz your saw, you can tell me how to handle it. If I wanna beat the thing to death with a post maul, nunya bleepin' bizness. ;)

2) Only an imbecile puts down a saw before it stops turning.  :palm: And I never drop tools; I put them down carefully.

3) That saw is literally 40 years old.

Ditto on all points.  :-DD Black and Decker saw here. Bought new by me. Abused by me. Other than an occasional new blade always works.
Steel or is it a tungsten carbide tipped blade?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75330 on: November 15, 2020, 10:24:57 am »
Muffins being cooked:

These are called in Germany "Berliner", except in Berlin. In Berlin they are called "Pfannkuchen"   ;D  (and "Krapfen" in Bavaria)

No,
a Berliner is a donut, made from batter and normally deep fried. Muffins are cooke on a hot plate.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 10:30:21 am by Robert763 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75331 on: November 15, 2020, 10:28:51 am »
Muffins being cooked:

To us Brits, they look more like jam doughnuts  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75332 on: November 15, 2020, 10:41:21 am »
That’s basically what they are.

If you called them Berliners here no one would buy them because they’re idiots.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75333 on: November 15, 2020, 10:46:46 am »
I'm having some trouble with all this pastry discussion, what's what is hard enough, but then it's called something else when elsewhere? Then that same other name could be yet another different pastry in a different place?

It makes as much sense as politics or relegion to me... Is there any way I can get the thread locked for excessive patisserie / viennoiserie ?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #75334 on: November 15, 2020, 10:52:17 am »
My sugars are up just reading this.....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75335 on: November 15, 2020, 11:21:44 am »
I'm having some trouble with all this pastry discussion, what's what is hard enough, but then it's called something else when elsewhere? Then that same other name could be yet another different pastry in a different place?

It makes as much sense as politics or relegion to me... Is there any way I can get the thread locked for excessive patisserie / viennoiserie ?

...Says the person from the country where a choclate croissant is called a Pain au chocolat or sometimes a croissant au chocolat... unless of course you happen to travel to the south west of the same country where it's called a chocolatine... or maybe even couque au chcolat... 4 names for the same thing in one country! :D

I'm going back to enjoy my breakfast Semmel... Oh wait, I'm in Cologne, so it's a Röggelchen or maybe a Brötchen in the rest of Germany.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #75336 on: November 15, 2020, 11:42:25 am »
Thai Curry for breakfast.
Just got up.

btw those jelly Donuts/Berliners/bloodsugarbombs are deep fried. For those of you who cannot get enough of cancerous diabetes inflicting treats

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #75337 on: November 15, 2020, 12:00:45 pm »
Selling 2 Rock Pi 4. No WiFi, but 4 GB RAM. One Rev 1.3, the other Rev 1.4. Both with large heat sink, one is missing the SD slot, has EMMC card installed instead (plus SPI rom installed). Can provide adapter for uSD -> EMMC. Can provide SPI chip for second if serious interest.

Breadboard breakout kit: I have it somewhere.
Both are USED
First grabs for TEAs.
50€s apiece, Breadboard kit for 20. Shipping: well, yes. Small box, DHL if going across the DoverCalais river. No shipping across the pond (it's not worth it).

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75338 on: November 15, 2020, 12:21:05 pm »
That’s basically what they are.

If you called them Berliners here no one would buy them because they’re idiots.

The Local (Cambridgeshire) Tesco's sells Berliners, on the shel below the Jam Donuts. Personally I can't tell the difference apart from the fact the Berliners seem to be slightly flatter.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75339 on: November 15, 2020, 12:43:33 pm »
Heads up all you UK Tek fan boys, this I just stumbled upon while searching eBay.

Might be of some interest to someone here, who knows?, its collection only as the seller says in speel, it was already sold once and Hermes Fecked it up.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333788028412
Who let Murphy in?

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #75340 on: November 15, 2020, 01:02:51 pm »
Heads up all you UK Tek fan boys, this I just stumbled upon while searching eBay.

Might be of some interest to someone here, who knows?, its collection only as the seller says in speel, it was already sold once and Hermes Fecked it up.

Looks crusty af, and looking at the seller's other items, I don't expect a very honest description.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75341 on: November 15, 2020, 01:22:26 pm »
Saw that. I’ve had crustier ones. It’s not even that far from here. About 40 minutes. But no!  :-DD

Now this is crusty: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164514623221
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 01:24:03 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75342 on: November 15, 2020, 01:53:52 pm »
Crusty doesn't cover it, Noooooooo not even worth £5 for that heap of crap, how in blue blazes do these people come up with their valuations?
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75343 on: November 15, 2020, 03:09:28 pm »
No,
a Berliner is a donut, made from batter and normally deep fried. Muffins are cooke on a hot plate.

Not quite. Doughnuts are, given the name it's kind of obvious, made from dough not batter and are most definitely always deep fried (Although there's no doubt some Scots Calvinist vegan killjoy who's devised a way to make them from wholemeal chickpea flour without frying). Specifically it's an enriched dough,  enriched in this context meaning the addition of any one or all of fat, eggs, milk and sugar. Muffins are generally made from a straight dough, containing just flour, water, salt and yeast. The best doughnuts generally have butter, milk and sugar in them, commercial ones tend to use cheaper, less tasty, vegetable fats.

Personally I can't tell the difference between a Berliner and a good doughnut. Knowing the Germans as I do, I expect Berliners are positively loaded with butter and all the other good things.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:12:07 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #75344 on: November 15, 2020, 03:21:39 pm »
Muffins being cooked:   

Are you sure? Your picture looks like something with a lot of sugar. The muffin, while not free from sugar, is much more like a small, soft Brötchen0 -- it is the base for things like Eggs Benedict et cetera.

0: I've found a iong article on what a "small roll" is called in German-speaking countries and regions, a search that was started by the breakfast menu on ÖBB Nightjet containing a "Semmel". Negative transfer made us think of this, which is Semla in Swedish. 

In reality the ÖBB Semmel was what I naïvely thought everyone called a Brötchen. Now, I know better. Also, I was reminded that in Finland, where the Swedish-speaking minority has had 211 years of separation from Sweden (first as a Russian Grand Duchy and then as a free country) they've evolved into calling a Brötchen a "Semla".

The English muffins are powdered in corn flour to keep the butter/oil from the baking sheet off your fingers; or at least, all the ones I've ever had on this side of the pond are. Pretty much one of the defining characteristics.

Those round "Berliner" things are what we call a jelly-filled doughnut; usually a fried cake dougnut without a hole, into which they inject jams or jellies or lemon curd with a piping bag, and then all powdered in confectioner's sugar. Nowadays they have an updated thing like a caulking gun with all dishwasher-able parts to make it easier. Better ones have actual jams inside; most of the cheap chain store ones are just crappy pie filling. *blerk*   Literally not enough flavor to be worth the carbs.

The bottom thing...  :wtf: izzat? From here it looks like they took a whole wheat bun, cut a little pyramid out of the top, then poured in apple pie filling and a swirl of yogurt or frosting.

Kindof a "Ehhhhh...?!?" reaction at best from this breaditarian dwagon. Would much prefer some ham & Swiss on that bun toasted dark. ;)

mnem

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75345 on: November 15, 2020, 03:25:02 pm »

I don't think that would have survived with any courier/postal service given the inadequate sized box they used (see pics 10,11), if they had put the handle at the front & packed with 2-3 inches of foam all around then it probably wouldn't have got trashed in the first place.

David

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75346 on: November 15, 2020, 03:40:13 pm »
He said....

1) My fukkin' saw. When itz your saw, you can tell me how to handle it. If I wanna beat the thing to death with a post maul, nunya bleepin' bizness. ;)

2) Only an imbecile puts down a saw before it stops turning.  :palm: And I never drop tools; I put them down carefully.

3) That saw is literally 40 years old.

Ditto on all points.  :-DD Black and Decker saw here. Bought new by me. Abused by me. Other than an occasional new blade always works.
Steel or is it a tungsten carbide tipped blade?

Mine is always a carbide combination blade; I loathe changing blades. I know the difference; I just hate doing it. I'll cut finish pieces with a mitre box before I'll switch to a proper crosscut or paneling blade in a RA saw.  :-DD

mnem
*toolish ol' dwagon*
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:48:59 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75347 on: November 15, 2020, 03:45:15 pm »

Might be of some interest to someone here, who knows?, its collection only as the seller says in speel, it was already sold once and Hermes Fecked it up.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333788028412

I don't think that would have survived with any courier/postal service given the inadequate sized box they used (see pics 10,11), if they had put the handle at the front & packed with 2-3 inches of foam all around then it probably wouldn't have got trashed in the first place.   David

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2364543/#msg2364543

Yeah, being paranoid about just that kind of mauling is why I spent 2 daze making this cover for the 454 I sent bitseeker.  ^-^

mnem
No regrets.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:55:24 pm by mnementh »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #75348 on: November 15, 2020, 04:03:11 pm »
this, which is Semla in Swedish. 

The bottom thing...  :wtf: izzat? From here it looks like they took a whole wheat bun, cut a little pyramid out of the top, then poured in apple pie filling and a swirl of yogurt or frosting.

It is a sweet wheat bun, made with cardamom in the dough. The top is cut off, with three plunging incisions in a triangle (if seen from above) and set aside, the innards slightly dug out and the cavity restuffed with almond paste. On top of the paste, whipped cream with some powdered sugar in is applied, and then the top is replaced. The finished work is dusted with powered sugar, and served.

It is our traditional Mardi-Gras dish. The other name it's got (not "semla") in Swedish translates literally to "Fat Tuesday Bun".

Do note that you do not need to be Catholic to do the fun parts of Lent -- we've been Lutheran here, by decree, since 1593 (and church and state did not separate until 2000) but the buns we eat, every Shrove Tuesday.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75349 on: November 15, 2020, 04:11:47 pm »
K... still think I'd prefer the bun toasted dark with ham & Swiss. But not in front of anyone doing the Lent thing.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf