Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16719578 times)

Vince and 65 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #75250 on: November 14, 2020, 03:29:05 pm »
@URI because you are male and did not experience the treatment that some cultural circles hand out to women ?

Anyway. Let's leave it at that.

The NUC is a shuttle NC10U with a Celeron CPU. Nothing fancy, but inexpensive and perfectly fine for running menial tasks or having a web terminal.

will shove my final leftover graphics card (RTX2070) into my leftover X570 and try to flip it.

Selling off a lot of stuff lately, it may be wise not to burden yourself with too many earthly possessions. You can't take them with you ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #75251 on: November 14, 2020, 03:33:19 pm »
@URI because you are male and did not experience the treatment that some cultural circles hand out to women ?

Oh, I was threatened with a knife and robbed once. Ok, not raped, not injured.
But that was just plain crime, not racism.
The police wasn't able to find any suspects in the end.  :(

Anyway. Let's leave it at that.

Agreed.
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75252 on: November 14, 2020, 03:33:35 pm »
You see him carting weird electrical equipment into the house, and bottles of chemicals. Trust me, we're gonna see police tape around his house one day, one of those tents over the door and lots of CSIs walking in and out in bunny suits.

Are you sure that "The strange guy carting weird electrical equipment into the house, and bottles of chemicals." isn't how the neighbours describe you?

McBryce.

Yeah, they're far too nice to describe me like that, only the crotchety beardie-weirdie would describe me like that.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75253 on: November 14, 2020, 03:35:30 pm »
pardon my lack of linguistic proficiency ...

crochety ?= grumpy ?= grouchy ?

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #75254 on: November 14, 2020, 03:35:35 pm »
How much will cost to CNC this plate see attachment?

My guess 70€.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 03:41:26 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75255 on: November 14, 2020, 03:37:48 pm »
pardon my lack of linguistic proficiency ...

crochety ?= grumpy ?= grouchy ?

Presactly!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75256 on: November 14, 2020, 03:43:27 pm »
Selling off a lot of stuff lately, it may be wise not to burden yourself with too many earthly possessions. You can't take them with you ...

Very true. And if you do have to take them with you anywhere, it's a pain in the arse :)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, shakalnokturn

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #75257 on: November 14, 2020, 03:44:25 pm »
We had like 100 cows produced through... IIRC, City Arts Foundation... and donated to various local artists and fine arts schools for the event.

We had 61 gorillas and I don't know how many Gromits, e.g.      
That is fukkin' awesome!     :-+

You can never have too many Gromits. I think every tinkerer ought to have their own Gromit, just like every mad scientist should have an Igor.

Edited to add: "Frau Blücher"

Edited to add 2: I may have just broken the cardinal rule of polite English upper crust society: "I don't care what other people do as long as it doesn't frighten the horses.".
Gromit is the patron saint of all tinkerers. I keep one right next to the St Christopher's medal that came with my PT Cruiser. :o

Also:   

mnem
 >:D     
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 03:48:50 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75258 on: November 14, 2020, 04:00:08 pm »
*heads off to toast crumpets, some with cheese on top*

What blasphemy is this??!?!?!?! Cheese on crumpets?!?!?!?  >:(

One of my new favorite "things" since I got up here... Timmeh's Hot Coffee Brothel has these huge croissant with melted sharp cheddar cheese on top. They're excellent fresh-made... but they become awesome sliced in half and toasted. The trick is to watch them like a hawk, and stop toasting when the cheese starts to bubble & brown again; that's when the inside is toasted perfectly. Then spread butter and a couple slabs of cream cheese and eat while still sizzling.  :-+

To make it work, you kindof have to have the ingredients laid out and cuppa coffee just made before you start toasting.

But totes worth the arseache.  >:D

mnem
*currently thawing my fingers after my first sortie in the "Build A Base" project*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75259 on: November 14, 2020, 04:01:31 pm »

My guess 70€.

I haven't a clue, I haven't had to get anything made externally in so long that I've no idea bout current pricing. Assuming that this is in a fully-fledged CAD/CAM package you can get quotes from some of the automated one-off/small run CNC services just from uploaded drawings/models.

P.S. Looking at the drawing, if one had to manufacture the part just from that drawing there are quite a few questions that would have to be asked. I suggest that you turn on dimensioning for almost everything (e.g. you've got a lot of holes without callouts), add some tolerances, and have a think about where your datum(s) are, and how you call off dimensions from them. I'm sure it's all 'in there' somewhere, it's just nice to have it out on the drawing in explicit and, if possible, standard form.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75260 on: November 14, 2020, 04:11:01 pm »
You see him carting weird electrical equipment into the house, and bottles of chemicals. Trust me, we're gonna see police tape around his house one day, one of those tents over the door and lots of CSIs walking in and out in bunny suits.

Are you sure that "The strange guy carting weird electrical equipment into the house, and bottles of chemicals." isn't how the neighbours describe you?

McBryce.

Yeah, they're far too nice to describe me like that, only the crotchety beardie-weirdie would describe me like that.

When are you gonna let the poor bastahd off the hook...?  >:D

mnem
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 02:33:31 pm by mnementh »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75261 on: November 14, 2020, 04:12:51 pm »
TEA is less likely to attract police tape than my other interest - radiation detection. Shortly after I moved to the current place I was working outside the garage sorting stuff and a police car stops by me. The cop's asking directions (house numbering is weird in the village) and I can see him looking at all this stuff, particuarly a couple of military ammuntion cans with radiation trefoil signs on them. He then gets generally chatty but drops in "what's your name? " and "where do you work?" When he hears my employer cop says "oh, OK" and drives off  :phew:
SWMBO does fret aout how to get rid of all my stuff when I'm gone.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #75262 on: November 14, 2020, 04:13:47 pm »
you can get quotes from some of the automated one-off/small run CNC services just from uploaded drawings/models.

Where? Any suggestion?

P.S. Looking at the drawing, if one had to manufacture the part just from that drawing there are quite a few questions that would have to be asked. I suggest that you turn on dimensioning for almost everything (e.g. you've got a lot of holes without callouts), add some tolerances, and have a think about where your datum(s) are, and how you call off dimensions from them. I'm sure it's all 'in there' somewhere, it's just nice to have it out on the drawing in explicit and, if possible, standard form.

I agree, it is just a quick reference draw. Where there are no dimension it is a symmetric/equal element. The .step and .amf will be delivered as well.
I already sent it to two german CNC guys. Let's see what they will throw at me.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 04:24:14 pm by Zucca »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #75263 on: November 14, 2020, 04:16:02 pm »
When he hears my employer cop says "oh, OK" and drives off  :phew:

eh eh, did you drop the secret three letter employer?
 ;)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75264 on: November 14, 2020, 04:16:58 pm »

My guess 70€.

I haven't a clue, I haven't had to get anything made externally in so long that I've no idea bout current pricing. Assuming that this is in a fully-fledged CAD/CAM package you can get quotes from some of the automated one-off/small run CNC services just from uploaded drawings/models.

He says he did it in freeCAD, so should be able to export as some form of solid model they can slice to CNC gcode. Not having worked with freeCAD in close to a decade (and then only long enough to give up & run back to Eagle with tail between my legs), no idea how much of the hard number crunching it will do for you. :-//

mnem
 :-/O

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75265 on: November 14, 2020, 04:20:24 pm »
just found that in an online store of a supermarket ...

https://www.real.de/product/357333264/

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #75266 on: November 14, 2020, 04:21:00 pm »
What are crumpets ? Pets in crums ?

Crumpets are the ultimate toasted bread product, and cheese is the ultimate topping for them, despite what certain Southerners might claim.

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #75267 on: November 14, 2020, 04:23:37 pm »
I wish the eevblog forum could migrate from this terrible simple machine to something like this.
when I jump in other forum I always ewwww when I come back here.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #75268 on: November 14, 2020, 04:25:08 pm »
just found that in an online store of a supermarket ...

https://www.real.de/product/357333264/

Very dangerous....  no no no... stay away from me.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #75269 on: November 14, 2020, 04:25:20 pm »
I wish the eevblog forum could migrate from this terrible simple machine to something like this.
when I jump in other forum I always ewwww when I come back here.

One of the forums I frequent is worse. https://autoshite.com/
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75270 on: November 14, 2020, 04:28:25 pm »
What are crumpets ? Pets in crums ?

Crumpets are the ultimate toasted bread product, and cheese is the ultimate topping for them, despite what certain Southerners might claim.

hmm. you may want to look up poffertjes.

Poffertjes dunked in butter and powder sugar, fresh strawberries and whipped cream ... or danish red fruit jelly w/ vanilla sauce ...

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #75271 on: November 14, 2020, 04:33:46 pm »
@mnemeth Whats going on in Montreal? I'm hearing reports of hostages being held on the roof of Obisoft offices by at least 1 armed man, have you heard anything at all?

I have no idea... I've been on the road all day running down the lumber I need for this project. Maybe cyclin_al would have a bit of a clue; he's from that neck of the moose. :-//

"You might be in Canada, ehhh...?!?"

Speaking of which... one of the lumberyards has an interesting mascot; my son named him Mustard Moose. :o

mnem
"Oh, just trample off, ya hoserrr..."

Wow.  That's one of very few moose left from Moose In The City back in 2000.  That thing's over 20 years old now.

Wait.... whattt?!? You mean the moose was a thing up here?

When I lived in San Damntonio, they were one of the first host cities for CowParade... and it was at the time when the whole thing exploded. We had like 100 cows produced through... IIRC, City Arts Foundation... and donated to various local artists and fine arts schools for the event. It was huge back then, before SA turned into one of the world's scariest strongholds of "Lets Make The Rapture Actually Happen" rabid religious right-wingnuttery and we had to run away.  :scared:

mnem
"Keep Austin WEIRD!!!"
"Keep san Antonio LAME!"

If I remember correctly, Chicago did it with cows and that's where the mayor of Toronto at the time got the idea.  I did a double take about this time last year when I saw a moose on top of a dry cleaning shop compete with antlers.  A lot of them got vandalized when this thing was current and the antlers would be broken off so seeing a moose is rare now and with antlers, even more rare.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75272 on: November 14, 2020, 04:40:44 pm »
He says he did it in freeCAD, so should be able to export as some form of solid model they can slice to CNC gcode. Not having worked with freeCAD in close to a decade (and then only long enough to give up & run back to Eagle with tail between my legs), no idea how much of the hard number crunching it will do for you. :-//

mnem
 :-/O

I had a little wrestle with FreeCAD a couple of months back. It's got pretty good. Like all CAD the user interfaces sucks rocks, and other people still report stability problems but I've only personally seen it crash once. As far as number crunching goes, it does mechanical and thermal finite element analysis now, and well enough to be useful. That was what I got it out for, to do some messing about with deflection calculations that would have been an utter pain in the arse to do by hand - designing a, thus far, theoretical machine bed for minimum deflection that could be assembled out of pieces rather than created as a casting which then needs stress-relieving and machining.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #75273 on: November 14, 2020, 04:44:03 pm »
If I remember correctly, Chicago did it with cows and that's where the mayor of Toronto at the time got the idea.

Was this the coke snorting one? Could explain a  lot...

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #75274 on: November 14, 2020, 05:18:37 pm »

My guess 70€.
Are you talking cnc milling or laser/waterjet cutting? The latter is more apt when working with "thin" plates, the more apt the thinner the plates get.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf