Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16729944 times)

flash2b, Vince, morris6 and 89 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #74850 on: November 11, 2020, 04:09:12 am »
You have no clue as to what the average police man or woman has to put up with and encounters on a daily basis. And 99% of them perform their duties with the upmost professionalism.

There are few vocations outside active military duty where you seriously have to wonder if you'll finish the day in one piece or a body bag.

My utmost respect to those 99%.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #74851 on: November 11, 2020, 06:58:22 am »
Over here on this side of the pond, they do issue tickets to the vehicle, well to be precise, the registered keeper. Its then upto the keeper to accept the fine or challenge it for whatever reason, ie not the driver on that occasion etc. Only yesterday I had to drive across a red traffic light and block of the traffic on my right, who had the green light anyway, to give a fire engine a clear path as he had his blues and twos on If were to get a fine in the post for that, I have the answer, HD video footage on my dashcam of the fire engine to prove why I went through a red light.

Here they're referred to as "owner liability tickets".  If a speed camera or a red light camera takes a picture of your car, they send you the bill as the registered owner but it's a cash fine only because it doesn't know who was at the controls driving it when the infraction happened, they can't award demerit points.

As usual, when it comes to cash grabs, the city of Toronto can't get enough cameras out there.  There was one down the street from where I parked when I was visiting relatives a couple months ago in a 30 km/hr zone.  I walked the car through at 20.  Not my problem.  Now down the road where I live, the banjo plucking doorknobs at our city hall didn't want to be outdone by Toronto so what they decided to do with the speed cameras they're putting out here is set the threshold at which they start fining people at 1 km/hr above the limit.  You read that correctly.  1 km/hr above the limit = fine even though most car speedometers aren't that accurate.  Even though a minor change in wheel size is going to throw it off.  Even though, for one example, the GPS app on my phone and the speedometer on my truck don't agree so which one, if any, is correct, and that applies to most people's vehicles.  The more this happens, the more I think I'm going to be walking my car past speed cameras well below the limit to avoid tickets for one, but hopefully to get a severely aggravated procession behind me just to make the point.

Same province, but different setup.  In Ottawa, they have somewhat discreet "red light cameras" at intersections.  One camera is supposed to take a photo of vehicles entering the intersection on a red light (but I think they record on yellow lights too) and another camera taking photos of exiting the intersection on the other side.  The photo is supposed to show the vehicle, the license plate and the traffic light.  If you run a red or yellow, you are going to get something in the mail.  I worry about those when driving the truck; the duration of the yellow light is often too short to be able to stop prior to entering the intersection.  Yes, they are mostly just a money grab.

Across the river in the province of Quebec, they have photo radar.  These cameras are blatantly obvious with a huge temporary sign just in front of the camera location, which get moved frequently.  The threshold is at least 15% over the limit as has been tested by many people.  You can easily tell at night when the camera triggers, since the camera flash is as noticeable as lightning.

That Toronto area speed trap is rather nasty.  For those not familiar, normal traffic flow in Canada is 20% faster than the posted speed limit.  The cops normally are not interested until someone is at least 20 km/h over the limit.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #74852 on: November 11, 2020, 07:52:45 am »
You almost sound like one of those "defund the police" advocates who need to be thrown into the fire they just started while rioting in the streets.   

Thing is, that defunding the police will be the natural thing to do, once
  • Society realises that spending the money early, on social workers and schools, gives one order of magnitude better payback. (one of our larger insurance companies has a research trust that has spent 40 years examining this. The results are overwhelming.
  • The current arms race between criminals and police, in no small part fueled by the reasonable suspicion that everyone has a gun in some countries, is damped
  • The penal correction facilities correct instead of punish

All those are way hard for a society that's has a big gun fetish coupled to a pathetic lack of trust -- and a racist generalisation tendency for that extra dB -- in a big feedback loop that'd make one of BD's amplifiers green with envy  :-DD

But, of course, you can't do it on/off, it needs to be done gradually. And as in all research, you'll need extra funds to do the deployment, so perhaps "fund social work, make schools work, fix healthcare, then lower police budgets".

But, that would rob the churches and the insurance industry of their social testicle grip. Can't have that, no. (We of course call the absence of this action freedom, ie. freedom to perish.)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #74853 on: November 11, 2020, 08:06:16 am »
I tend to disagree. Best example is that of mass rape in Cologne, the heinous crimes in Sweden (the beheading of a christian woman in an Ikea, e.g.), the islamistic terror in Vienna.

Either you "correct" them the way as done in Clockwork Orange or you tolerate murder, rape, etc and victimize even more innocents and just make sure that this is not widely published as people might get angry ...

I am with you wrt defunding the church, but for different reasons.

Giving murderers and rapists life without makes sure that they do not do it again to innocent people. We have enough psychopaths, sociopaths and rapists that left prison "corrected" just to rape or murder another child.

Some "defects" are not correctable, and I am perfectly fine with eliminating those perps from society.

As a victim of some of those crimes (rape...) I have my very own opinion about how to treat the perps.

But this is getting into politics again.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 08:09:13 am by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, med6753, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74854 on: November 11, 2020, 08:09:51 am »
Pretty chilled here. That’s all I’m saying.

Hitting eBay. Feel like the universe owes me some TE karma today  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #74855 on: November 11, 2020, 08:15:22 am »
The parts to complete the 310 Fan Base should be here by noon via UPS of course.  :-+

Last scan was in NJ.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #74856 on: November 11, 2020, 08:23:40 am »
Playing with Bode plots and crystals and just knocked up a test fixture from bits and bobs.
Based on this posted by rf-loop:
https://www.giangrandi.org/electronics/crystalfilters/xtaltest.html
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74857 on: November 11, 2020, 08:44:15 am »
Well having a shit day here. Firstly PC fan problems, then I got fined for stopping on a box junction because some cunt carved me up and blocked the exit, then something I sold on ebay blew up spectacularly on receipt and had to refund it  :palm:

Going to fucking bed  :-DD
How did they track you down, was it from a photo by chance, or a video recording? If it was the latter, then surely, the tape should also show why you had to stop in the box junction in the first instance  :-/O

No there's a camera on it. No video - I checked. It takes one photo when a car is stopped apparently. Which is fucking stupid as it's no proof. On that basis two cars in the below picture should be fined  :-DD

Location (A310 West Middlesex hospital). Traffic up front is always rammed so when there's a gap you have to clear the entire junction, which is difficult when some cunt pulls out of the hospital into it even though they have no right of way.

Camera:

Got letter in post today. This happened on the 4th of Nov.

As for ebay I sold my 6294A and it emitted a large amount of smoke on receipt :palm:. Seller provided photo of the fireworks.

Was that before or after the asshole tried to charge a 168V ebike battery widditt...?

It's not a fight I could win either way so  :-//

I think you could have won

I would have challenged it. It's hard to be sure from the photo, but it looks like the lines of the box outline are the same width as the diagonals. This is incorrect the outline should be 33% wider than the diagonals (150mm diagonals 200mm outline) see https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/schedule/9/made
Thus the markings are not correct and restriction not valid.
I complained about a similar issue with the line width /  spacing of double yellows (totally accidental breach, dark wet night and leaves on markings and I had just touched them with one wheel) I appealled but carefully stated the conditions first, then meioning the ncorrect markings. The cancelled the tickett with no reference to the markings, obviously didn't want to set a precident in writing.

Additionally that particular box is not the intended use of box junctions. It effectively gives the driver turning left on to the main road right of way contary to the rules. Box junctions are intended to stop you blocking crossing traffic, not joining. They should have put up traffic lights to let cars exit the hospital.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74858 on: November 11, 2020, 09:16:07 am »
Yeah traffic lights are the correct solution for sure. Honestly though I'd burn more than £65 of my time fighting it.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #74859 on: November 11, 2020, 09:24:12 am »
I tend to disagree. Best example is that of mass rape in Cologne, the heinous crimes in Sweden (the beheading of a christian woman in an Ikea, e.g.), the islamistic terror in Vienna.

I am afraid you have bought the right-wing propaganda hook, line and sinker.  If you read the Wikipedia article on the Ikea tragedy, it can be described as a reaction to crackdown on "undesired persons" as well. I tend to see it as much more of a indicator of the feedback loop I mentioned than anything else.

If you oppress people, they will react, and when they react, you have fuelled your argument for more oppression.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74860 on: November 11, 2020, 09:33:30 am »
Over here on this side of the pond, they do issue tickets to the vehicle, well to be precise, the registered keeper. Its then upto the keeper to accept the fine or challenge it for whatever reason, ie not the driver on that occasion etc. Only yesterday I had to drive across a red traffic light and block of the traffic on my right, who had the green light anyway, to give a fire engine a clear path as he had his blues and twos on If were to get a fine in the post for that, I have the answer, HD video footage on my dashcam of the fire engine to prove why I went through a red light.

Here they're referred to as "owner liability tickets".  If a speed camera or a red light camera takes a picture of your car, they send you the bill as the registered owner but it's a cash fine only because it doesn't know who was at the controls driving it when the infraction happened, they can't award demerit points.

As usual, when it comes to cash grabs, the city of Toronto can't get enough cameras out there.  There was one down the street from where I parked when I was visiting relatives a couple months ago in a 30 km/hr zone.  I walked the car through at 20.  Not my problem.  Now down the road where I live, the banjo plucking doorknobs at our city hall didn't want to be outdone by Toronto so what they decided to do with the speed cameras they're putting out here is set the threshold at which they start fining people at 1 km/hr above the limit.  You read that correctly.  1 km/hr above the limit = fine even though most car speedometers aren't that accurate.  Even though a minor change in wheel size is going to throw it off.  Even though, for one example, the GPS app on my phone and the speedometer on my truck don't agree so which one, if any, is correct, and that applies to most people's vehicles.  The more this happens, the more I think I'm going to be walking my car past speed cameras well below the limit to avoid tickets for one, but hopefully to get a severely aggravated procession behind me just to make the point.

The legal requirement for speedometers is that they must OVER READ  e.g. +x% -0% with the approved wheels and tyres fitted. If you change wheels that's your issue. Your GPS is the most accurate speed measurement you have. As long as you drive at constant speed in a straight line for 5 seconds t is good to +- 0.1 MPH. you might have to go to the GPS satus page to get that resolution though.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 09:53:15 am by Robert763 »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74861 on: November 11, 2020, 10:16:51 am »

I am afraid you have bought the right-wing propaganda hook, line and sinker.  If you read the Wikipedia article on the Ikea tragedy, it can be described as a reaction to crackdown on "undesired persons" as well. I tend to see it as much more of a indicator of the feedback loop I mentioned than anything else.

If you oppress people, they will react, and when they react, you have fuelled your argument for more oppression.

I do not see how you can "socialize and educate" socio- and psychopaths with an agenda that is bent on domination of anyone who does not share their beliefs but state that beheading people with a different belief system would be desirable and acceptable.
Educating IS terrorists does not really help, and I do not see why innocent citizens should put up with their radicalist agenda. I also do not see in how far a raped women oppresses the rapist.

I am sorry, but this has nothing to do with right wing propaganda.

Chamberlain was wrong with the appeasement politics towards Hitler, those did not work out and resulted in millions of people killed.
Why make the same mistake again ?

Again, this is politics and ideology. Should we be discussing this here ?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74862 on: November 11, 2020, 10:25:47 am »
BU's box arrived today, thank you very much for that.

Also my Zedboard got here. I hope to be able to put it to some use as soon as I have finished my tax declaration ..

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #74863 on: November 11, 2020, 10:39:22 am »
BU's box arrived today, thank you very much for that.

Also my Zedboard got here. I hope to be able to put it to some use as soon as I have finished my tax declaration ..

I hope, all inhabitants of the box are in good health?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #74864 on: November 11, 2020, 10:42:38 am »

I for myself would prefer if we could leave this out here. :-+

I'm more interested for example in the adventures of the Tek-Smurf and his fans, err, repairs...

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #74865 on: November 11, 2020, 10:48:48 am »

I for myself would prefer if we could leave this out here. :-+

I'm more interested for example in the adventures of the Tek-Smurf and his fans, err, repairs...

:-DD

You are all my fans.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #74866 on: November 11, 2020, 11:02:15 am »
That is so true, I am sitting here, beer in hand fan-ning the flames! Or is that mnem...
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74867 on: November 11, 2020, 11:29:57 am »

The EU law says that cars speedometer never show less than the cars true speed but it can show true speed + 10% + 6.25MPH or KMH. So whatever speed your car show your doing, it is going considerably less. Therefore your speedo could be showing a speed of 50MPH, but because of the legal tolerances, your true speed could be 40nph.

As to speed camera settings, over here they used to be set to the speed limit plus 10% + 1 mph but now they are often set to the limit+1mph..
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74868 on: November 11, 2020, 11:30:22 am »
Well yes, I don't like it but what can you do about it, nothing at all, short of fitting false plates or removing them altogether, either way, you're up shit creek.

How about "write to your MP" saying you don't like the police taking the law into their own hands and spying on you, an innocent citizen (which is effectively what they have done)? History pretty much tells us that this isn't a good thing. If you don't like something, don't just throw your hands up and accept it - you have the power to be an agent of change. Or bung a few quid in the direction of the organizations that campaign against this sort of thing - Liberty or one of many others working in this field.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74869 on: November 11, 2020, 11:38:34 am »
My local MP campaigned hard for these things to go in and to close a rat run which went past her house in the expensive bit of the area. YMMV.

We really need experts on consultations but there aren't really any and the press made "experts" a poisonous word over the last 2-3 years, which incidentally backfired hilariously.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #74870 on: November 11, 2020, 11:42:24 am »
The parts to complete the 310 Fan Base should be here by noon via UPS of course.  :-+

Last scan was in NJ.

And right on schedule. At local depot in Kingston loaded on delivery vehicle.  :-+ 

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #74871 on: November 11, 2020, 11:55:06 am »
Hey another tool idea, I am looking for something to tap thread holes on a regular drill not a drill press.
Right now I always be a good kid and use my hand tool with excellent result, but maybe there is a tap adapter out there I am missing that could speed up the process.

No I do not want a Tapmatic , maybe something smaller and cheaper...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74872 on: November 11, 2020, 11:55:51 am »
The more we militarize our Police, the more they feel and act like they're on a war footing with the people they're supposed to be protecting. It's no surprise silly little things like civil rights become transitive in their eyes.

Part of the reason that I have the utmost respect for most of your constabulary; they're out in the crowd, feet on the ground with their neighbors good and bad, and most of them without lethal weapons. Imagine that in the US, where most of the Police spend most of their time with a windshield between them and the public. And half of them with enough heavy metal in the trunk to neutralize a tank.

mnem
 :horse:

You have no clue as to what the average police man or woman has to put up with and encounters on a daily basis. And 99% of them perform their duties with the upmost professionalism. You almost sound like one of those "defund the police" advocates who need to be thrown into the fire they just started while rioting in the streets.   

Two things - one, the British police see the public through a windscreen nowadays, the days of the "bobby on the beat" are long gone.

Two, Med. I'm afraid you don't have an idea what the police do on a daily basis, even if you do do have an idea what some of them face. I've worked with the police in the past, been treated as "one of the lads", sat in incident rooms as statements have been written up, listened to the working conversations in the nick, and heard the real stories down the pub that you, "a civilian", don't get to hear.

Example: down the pub with a DS (Phil), a PC (Ian) and a special (John) - Phil:"So lads, do you remember the first time that your Inspector dictated the contents of your pocket book?" (for those not in the know, a policeman's pocket book will be used as a contemporary written record of evidence, and as such carries more weight in court). Here are three working coppers discussing the first time that they were given the 'official' version of evidence, that they would later swear in court was their own testimony, not their Inspectors, and this was such a commonplace that there was a "first time" for everybody. This is the British Police, generally regarded as the least corrupt in the world - as in the old "ideal country" joke.

Nobody likes to hear it, but police culture is not good. If there's institutionalised conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, as above, then there's something deeply wrong. You can bet your bottom dollar that other undesirable institutionalised misbehaviours are as common in the police anywhere - racism, excessive use of force and so on. Sorry, but my experience watching coppers go about their daily work from the privileged position of an insider but without the years of socialisation to treat that behaviour as 'normal' and many documented cases bear that out.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74873 on: November 11, 2020, 12:04:41 pm »

I do not see how you can "socialize and educate" socio- and psychopaths with an agenda that is bent on domination of anyone who does not share their beliefs but state that beheading people with a different belief system would be desirable and acceptable.
Educating IS terrorists does not really help, and I do not see why innocent citizens should put up with their radicalist agenda. I also do not see in how far a raped women oppresses the rapist.

I am sorry, but this has nothing to do with right wing propaganda.

Chamberlain was wrong with the appeasement politics towards Hitler, those did not work out and resulted in millions of people killed.
Why make the same mistake again ?

I think the point that mansaxel was making does indeed have some merit, for example, a child brought up in a decent home where the parents show respect and tolerance for the law and for others is going to learn the that same respect for authority and respect for others, while a child from a home where that respect is being demonstrated by the parents will also grow up in the same vein because that is the only thing they have only known. We must all know families where this is clearly demonstrated in the children's behaviour. I have a particular neighbour who is living proof of this, the parents are just as likely to smash you in the mouth as look at you and their sons likewise, even down the way that they treat Covid-19 and they even go on social media and say they had to wear "nonce pleasers" (mask) before a shopkeeper would allow them to enter his shop.

Perhaps if parents taught respect by their actions at home, and schools also did the same, then maybe one day we would have citizens with more respect for each other and fewer rapists and murderers and less well armed police around. This is a long term project but is something that I do believe is possible. It won't work for everyone, there will always be bad people in society, but it is  possible to have less of them.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74874 on: November 11, 2020, 12:08:09 pm »
You are all my fans.  :-DD

Al your fans are belong to us!  :-DD

Bernd

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf