Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16730072 times)

Vince, morris6 and 132 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #74800 on: November 10, 2020, 08:08:25 pm »
A Spectrum Analyser with Tracking Generator (SA/TG) and a Vector Network Analyser (VNA) are not the same thing.
They can be.....Siglent SVA series.  ;)

First I bought a SSA3032X then replaced it with a SVA1032X which has proved to be much more useful.  :)

SSA3021X Plus can be improved to become a SVA1032X !  ;)

once i will have an SSA3021X Plus .... but here in NL they are crazy expansive.. 1700,- thats almost 2000 in dollars..
i wait for the prize to drop...... like 1/4  :-DD
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #74801 on: November 10, 2020, 08:09:07 pm »
Here you go, this covers the basics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_detector
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #74802 on: November 10, 2020, 08:12:43 pm »
Eventually the dwagon is printing a holder for the smoke detektor?  ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #74803 on: November 10, 2020, 08:15:39 pm »
in that airbnb in Waikiki where I was at they had the smoke detector mounted about 50 cm above the kitchen stove. :palm: :-DD :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74804 on: November 10, 2020, 08:15:48 pm »
Just remembered what I meant to link:

https://www.rapidonline.com/unistrand-4-8mm-heat-shrink-2-1-purple-25m-reel-03-0470

They've 8 units left (I snagged 2) of 25m @ £1.80 each.

MOQ for free delivery is £35 inc VAT, usually easy enough to reach...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74805 on: November 10, 2020, 08:31:48 pm »
A Spectrum Analyser with Tracking Generator (SA/TG) and a Vector Network Analyser (VNA) are not the same thing.

First I bought a SSA3032X then replaced it with a SVA1032X which has proved to be much more useful.  :)

Yes, yes, there is always the exception.
Typically these instruments are VNAs with SA functionality added. But as modern front ends are digital ther is little physical difference on many of them. The VNA does of course have to have at leas one directional coupler or Return Loss Bridge to be of any real use.
I specified a R&S ZVL VNA with option K-1, which adds spectrum analysis, at work. Gets used mostly as an SA but having the VNA means we don't have to pay to get amplifiers, cables etc calibrated, just check them at time of use with the VNA function.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74806 on: November 10, 2020, 08:35:01 pm »
in that airbnb in Waikiki where I was at they had the smoke detector mounted about 50 cm above the kitchen stove. :palm: :-DD :palm:

Believe it or not, I have seen things even more stupid than that. As I keep saying, one day I'll write a book...

Today's entry to the hall of shame:

On the left, my temporary armoured cable (baby one, only 10mm2 3 core), on the right, the temporary armoured cable of someone who shall remain nameless. Let's call him Laim (a complex anagram of his name designed to render him anonymous as effectively as he mounted the cable).

Laim is technically not an apprentice, but an adult self learner (don't ask) but it amounts to the same thing, but he's paying for his course himself.
Since being moved from Projects to Maintenance by his father (head of Maintenance) the standard of his work has dropped alarmingly imo.
Not only this, but he works solo, working in live boards (which he is most certainly not qualified, nor experienced enough to do safely).
I may upload the image of his earthing arrangement tomorrow, if I can bring myself to take a picture of it without dissolving into incoherent rage.
A colleague that I'm working with on this project has mentioned to our line manager, and to the head of PPM (Planned Preventative Maintenance) that this situation will end up with them in court, if anything goes wrong, as they are both aware of the circumstances.
Their replies: "he's not working under us, it's not our problem".
My colleague's response was broadly the same as mine: "I'm sure the HSE will accept that as a valid defence. Not."
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #74808 on: November 10, 2020, 08:59:10 pm »
Thanks for the link robert....somthing went wrong... its removed, but i just had it...
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74809 on: November 10, 2020, 09:00:07 pm »
Anyone interested in a HP 428B milliammeter with the probe (usually missing) on ePay UK? eBay auction: #154187755964
It's been on ePay for several weeks as the model is given as 4288, I would have been interested if I didn't already have one.

David

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74810 on: November 10, 2020, 09:04:03 pm »

Had that at university in the halls in our rooms. Nothing you couldn't sort out with a lunch box and some duct tape to keep the bong smoke out.

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #74811 on: November 10, 2020, 09:16:51 pm »

Yes, yes, there is always the exception.
Typically these instruments are VNAs with SA functionality added. But as modern front ends are digital ther is little physical difference on many of them. The VNA does of course have to have at least one directional coupler or Return Loss Bridge to be of any real use.
SVA models evolved from the SSA3000X range of SA's where an internal coupler path was added to the TG port to enable VNA capability. Later SSA3000X Plus models use the same HW as SVA models but without the VNA capability however as recently discovered SSA3kX Plus models can be convinced to think they're a SVA !

While some upgrades to SVA models are very possible it is not universal to all models as there are minor differences in HW in 1.5 GHz, 3.2 GHz and 7.5 GHz SVA models. The SVA datasheet outlines these for the observant.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #74812 on: November 10, 2020, 09:28:47 pm »
I trial-filled my water-cooling in the TE/computer room today (heat exchanger against pool heating system). Everything except the union couplings around the circulation pump is water tight, and those were just a small adjustment with the Knipex to fix. Hand-threaded steel pipe, steel castings, hemp (actually linen; that's what we use in Sweden) and pipe dope. I musta been a plumber last life.

Then I stumbled and bought a -hp- VTVM (400H).  Pic from ad:

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #74813 on: November 10, 2020, 09:33:45 pm »
Anyone interested in a HP 428B milliammeter with the probe (usually missing) on ePay UK? eBay auction: #154187755964
It's been on ePay for several weeks as the model is given as 4288, I would have been interested if I didn't already have one.

David

Buy it! It's a steal for an iconic instrument. As David, I already have one, or I'd grabbed it.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74814 on: November 10, 2020, 09:38:11 pm »
I trial-filled my water-cooling in the TE/computer room today (heat exchanger against pool heating system). Everything except the union couplings around the circulation pump is water tight, and those were just a small adjustment with the Knipex to fix. Hand-threaded steel pipe, steel castings, hemp (actually linen; that's what we use in Sweden) and pipe dope. I musta been a plumber last life.

What, no flared tubing? Ewww.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #74815 on: November 10, 2020, 09:44:22 pm »
What, no flared tubing? Ewww.

No, this basically is a central heating system going backwards. Hence, I'm using central heating components for it, and those, even in Germany, at least has been tapered Rohrgewinde on Stahlrohr with fittings in Stahlguß. (pipe thread, steel pipe, steel castings).

System pressure is low, no need to do anything fancy.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74816 on: November 10, 2020, 10:19:24 pm »
Wasn't someone here interested in THIS Lambda series? (Ebay.de, 14h to go)

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Lambda-LP-412A-FM-W/274561075367?hash=item3fed1d88a7:g:KMwAAOSwRRpfoqAT

Also interesting (Thermal wire stripper/knife). First time that I saw it or that company.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/MEISEI-M-10-Thermostripper-Hotweezer/193734150684?hash=item2d1b748a1c:g:GwUAAOSwuRxfoBIw
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 10:21:54 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74817 on: November 10, 2020, 10:26:17 pm »
Here you go, this covers the basics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_detector

That was my point, the detector will not afford the best protection on the table, it needs to be at or close to ceiling height.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #74818 on: November 10, 2020, 10:30:04 pm »
No, I'm reasonably fucking paranoid, as I have 4 heaters all going at once. On a wooden table. In my home. With my children. ;)

mnem
 :scared:
Problem with that is of course that the smoke detector relies on ionised air, rising upwards and into the detector, so the detector strategically placed there will not help you  in the event of anything going wrong ???

Tested for effectiveness already. A smoldering napkin held above the build plate takes aboot 20 seconds to set it off. Instantly if I wave it around a bit.  ;)

Cheers,

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74819 on: November 10, 2020, 10:30:34 pm »
Well having a shit day here. Firstly PC fan problems, then I got fined for stopping on a box junction because some cunt carved me up and blocked the exit, then something I sold on ebay blew up spectacularly on receipt and had to refund it  :palm:

Going to fucking bed  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74820 on: November 10, 2020, 10:50:17 pm »
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-8725397/Money-box-junctions-Stray-one-face-130-fine.html

I had to look up what you were talking aboot... This page sez go back, take pics, appeal. 30-60% chance of winning if you try; 0% if you don't.

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #74821 on: November 10, 2020, 10:53:14 pm »

Then I stumbled and bought a -hp- VTVM (400H).  Pic from ad:

There is another VTVM from HP online for around 50 Euro starting bid or 100 Euro "buy it now"

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #74822 on: November 10, 2020, 10:57:33 pm »
Well having a shit day here. Firstly PC fan problems, then I got fined for stopping on a box junction because some cunt carved me up and blocked the exit, then something I sold on ebay blew up spectacularly on receipt and had to refund it  :palm:

I have a high speed fan motor you might be interested in. Only slightly noisy.  :-DD

A Bobbie gave you a ticket? Naughty boy.  >:D

Oooh....what happen with Ebay? You must provide the gory details.  :o :-DD

Go to bed.  :=\ :=\ ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74823 on: November 10, 2020, 11:02:56 pm »
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-8725397/Money-box-junctions-Stray-one-face-130-fine.html

I had to look up what you were talking aboot... This page sez go back, take pics, appeal. 30-60% chance of winning if you try; 0% if you don't.

mnem

Posting this from bed. £65 fine - just paid it. Cost me more energy and time to argue it.

The traditional technique for resolving all future problems here is to return at some random point in the future with a knackered car tyre and a petrol canister. You pour petrol into the inside of the tyre, hook it over the camera with a long stick then light it up!

I have a high speed fan motor you might be interested in. Only slightly noisy.  :-DD

A Bobbie gave you a ticket? Naughty boy.  >:D

Oooh....what happen with Ebay? You must provide the gory details.  :o :-DD

Go to bed.  :=\ :=\ ;D

Throw that fan in the trash  :-DD

As for ebay I sold my 6294A and it emitted a large amount of smoke on receipt :palm:. Seller provided photo of the fireworks.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74824 on: November 10, 2020, 11:04:51 pm »
@med -

Read the website I posted. Another of those BS "civil penalty" camera ticket racketeering schemes. Similar traffic traps are being class-actioned all over the US as violation of right to face accuser, as there is no officer and no court. With traffic tickets it's outright illegal; they have to arrest a person, you can't give a ticket to a vehicle.

Interesting to see if similar legislation springs up other side of the pond over these.  :-//

mnem
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 11:08:35 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf