Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16731236 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #74775 on: November 10, 2020, 03:09:36 pm »
Add to that, laptops are hard to keep cool as they have inferior cooling compared to a desktop so the fan will audibly cut in far more often if they are used for extended periods. I notice that with my laptops, much prefer the desktop PC.

This is desktop PC  :(

Apparently common problem with all Gigabyte GPU fans :(

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #74776 on: November 10, 2020, 03:20:42 pm »
Same on my Lecroy. Got 10-90% (rise) and 20-80% (r20-80%) in the auto measurement.

I know you can specify the levels and that they are indicated. What I don't see is an indication of what the scope is using as the 100% and 0% levels.

Yes, you're right. I missed your point.

With a well-behaved signal and robust firmware, my point isn't that important. But it is a neat confirmation and sanity check - and I like to avoid any feeling of "what's it doing now?" :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #74777 on: November 10, 2020, 03:57:43 pm »

*taps mic, looks around the room*

"Hello, my name is mnem, and I have a problem. I keep printing unicorn butts..."

mnem
"...and I swear, it's not on purpose!"

Finally managed to get the whole unicorn with this mostly successful print. Well, good enough to use as a Monopoly piece, anyways. :P

Cause...? Cheap filament that needed some coddling.

mnem
moo.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74778 on: November 10, 2020, 04:05:56 pm »
Add to that, laptops are hard to keep cool as they have inferior cooling compared to a desktop so the fan will audibly cut in far more often if they are used for extended periods. I notice that with my laptops, much prefer the desktop PC.
This is desktop PC  :(   Apparently common problem with all Gigabyte GPU fans :(

They tend to use pretty aggressive fan designs because they advert their GPUs as overclockable vs the MFR stock "reference" version. One of the main reasons I went liquid-cooled for both CPU & GPU on my VR rig.

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 04:07:47 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74779 on: November 10, 2020, 04:23:20 pm »

This is desktop PC  :(

Apparently common problem with all Gigabyte GPU fans :(
Oh I see, never knew Gigabyte VC's had noisy fans in any case they should only sound like a fan not a bloody frog. I never ever hear the fans on my GPU kick in at all, or in the PSU. My case has 5 140mm fans, 2 at the front, 2 on the top sucking air through my double radiator and 1 at the back exhausting the hot air all I can ever hear is a muted whirring sound. GPU has 2 fans as well and the only time the fans are audible is when the house is still and there is no other noise, such as TV etc, otherwise the noise is just lost in the background. I did however fit low noise fans in the first place but I'm very happy with their performance. The CPU is also water cooled.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: djadeski

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74780 on: November 10, 2020, 04:36:19 pm »
I think he was referring to the GPU fans suddenly coming on at full speed for very brief bursts under load, rather than the usual ramping up until such speed as equilibrium is reached. This does happen if you never bother to set up a fan profile on some builds.

mnem
*grroarrrr.... grroarrr... grroarrr...*

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #74781 on: November 10, 2020, 05:03:44 pm »
Now I feel old too.

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, bd139, shakalnokturn, AVGresponding, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74782 on: November 10, 2020, 05:23:12 pm »
I think he was referring to the GPU fans suddenly coming on at full speed for very brief bursts under load, rather than the usual ramping up until such speed as equilibrium is reached. This does happen if you never bother to set up a fan profile on some builds.

mnem

Actually no it's when it goes from 0% to 25% is where it makes the noise. Looks like it's torque related. Someone recorded it here:

The fan is usually off as it's a silent GPU card but if it gets a little warm it just nips the fans on to take the edge off. I've just changed it to run at 25% all the time which you can't hear anyway.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74783 on: November 10, 2020, 05:53:39 pm »
Is that rachet sound also coming from the fans? If so it sounds very much to me at least as the fan blades are hitting something now and then. I have never heard anything remotely like the noise of those fans in my life coming a PC?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #74784 on: November 10, 2020, 06:06:32 pm »
Is that rachet sound also coming from the fans? If so it sounds very much to me at least as the fan blades are hitting something now and then. I have never heard anything remotely like the noise of those fans in my life coming a PC?

My guess would be one or more of the motors has not quite tightly packed windings or maybe a slightly loose magnet ring, and as the pwm ramps up it's causing it to vibrate.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #74785 on: November 10, 2020, 06:09:43 pm »
here's one for the emigrated tejan.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74786 on: November 10, 2020, 06:18:34 pm »
Not necessarily in that order.  >:D

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74787 on: November 10, 2020, 06:25:00 pm »

mnem

Actually no it's when it goes from 0% to 25% is where it makes the noise. Looks like it's torque related. Someone recorded it here:

The fan is usually off as it's a silent GPU card but if it gets a little warm it just nips the fans on to take the edge off. I've just changed it to run at 25% all the time which you can't hear anyway.

That really sounds like a shroud rattling against something due to vibration from the motors; I can see them cogging at low rpm in the vid. Wouldn't surprise me if a whole product run or 3 are affected, or even multiple product lines if they all had shrouds derived from the same basic design. Seen it too many times working fleet maintenance. :palm:

Probably a better idea would be to set a curve with minimum speed of 25% once it crosses a temp that is aboot 5-10° above idling with no fan; the benefit is much less air pulled through in total so less dust accumulation.

mnem
*punt*
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 06:30:08 pm by mnementh »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74788 on: November 10, 2020, 06:42:23 pm »
So the Marconi 2022E didn't sell so I dropped the price. Now it's got a bid. Went to confirm the effect of a modulated signal when using averaging on a SA and as the 2022 was sitting there I used that as a signal . Modulation had expected effect (someone using RBW and averaging to "get rid of the noise" would not believe it affected mesurements), but I noticed that frequency was about 40MHz high  :-BROKE
You guessed it, a OM345 died  :palm:  At least it hapened here rather than haing an unhappy customer.So a bit of "open heart" surgery on the hybrid and it's all working again.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 06:50:55 pm by Robert763 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74789 on: November 10, 2020, 06:46:15 pm »

And so began my descent into Hell...  :o

mnem

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #74790 on: November 10, 2020, 07:08:36 pm »
A Spectrum Analyser with Tracking Generator (SA/TG) and a Vector Network Analyser (VNA) are not the same thing.
They can be.....Siglent SVA series.  ;)

First I bought a SSA3032X then replaced it with a SVA1032X which has proved to be much more useful.  :)

SSA3021X Plus can be improved to become a SVA1032X !  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74791 on: November 10, 2020, 07:12:56 pm »
you are already in hell. you just have not realized it yet.

Threw together a workstation with parts I had lying around.: Bequiet pure base 600, bequiet pure power 400, Fujitsu D3641-S with C246 express chipset, 16 GB mem (for now), 512 GB SSD and a zotac RTX2060.

Either I can flip it fast, or it will serve as Dev system for my Altera / Zynq experiments.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #74792 on: November 10, 2020, 07:18:31 pm »
Nice to see that I'm not the only one annoyed with noisy fans.  :P :-DD 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74793 on: November 10, 2020, 07:21:10 pm »

And so began my descent into Hell...  :o

mnem

With the smoke alarm carefully positioned between the two 3dprinters, I can see that your confidence level is pretty high  :-DD
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:23:35 pm by Kosmic »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74794 on: November 10, 2020, 07:25:12 pm »
No, I'm reasonably fucking paranoid, as I have 4 heaters all going at once. On a wooden table. In my home. With my children. ;)

mnem
 :scared:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #74795 on: November 10, 2020, 07:34:16 pm »
No, I'm reasonably fucking paranoid, as I have 4 heaters all going at once. On a wooden table. In my home. With my children. ;)

mnem

And with a known and acknowledged propensity for backing into stuff it's probably a wise move.  :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74796 on: November 10, 2020, 07:50:17 pm »

mnem
Problem with that is of course that the smoke detector relies on ionised air, rising upwards and into the detector, so the detector strategically placed there will not help you  in the event of anything going wrong ???
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74797 on: November 10, 2020, 07:50:56 pm »
Details, mere Details !
 :-DD

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #74798 on: November 10, 2020, 08:05:37 pm »

mnem
Problem with that is of course that the smoke detector relies on ionised air, rising upwards and into the detector, so the detector strategically placed there will not help you  in the event of anything going wrong ???

That's not how ionisation types work, and it could be a photo detector in any case. Either way, smoke (or any fine particulate matter such as steam or dust) getting inside the detector will trigger it, even if the smoke is denser than air and flows downwards...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74799 on: November 10, 2020, 08:06:49 pm »
Judging by the fact mine goes off if you toast something two rooms away it’ll probably go off when someone farts in another room yet sit there asleep when your curtains go up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf