Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18071410 times)

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #74625 on: November 08, 2020, 08:43:27 pm »
Why would they turn up without the probes? they seem to be part of the unit (non-removable).

David

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74626 on: November 08, 2020, 08:50:12 pm »
I should say without usable probes. The last two I saw, one had mangled probes and the other one had been cut off. The latter seller had a few HP items which had just had the cables cut front and rear  >:(

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74627 on: November 08, 2020, 09:00:32 pm »
It's unicorn poo that is. I was going to put £100 on it. That is almost 100% essential for debugging HP test kit from the 80s and 90s. They rarely turn up with probes.

A little secret, some TEKTRONIX logic analysers also do signature analysis and are compatible with the HP ones giving the same codes. A nice small one is the Tek / Sony 308. The 318 and 318 don't have signature analysis.
Small cute and a lot cheaper
This one has a couple of bust buttons www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402036123380
You can see "Signature" as a second function to the C button.
I have one and it's not a bad little analyser for 8 bit applications.

I also have a (rare) LogicDart and the "Logic Troubleshooting" kit with comparator and probes pluse the current probe and pulser.

The following users thanked this post: scl, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, ch_scr, factory, Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74628 on: November 08, 2020, 09:01:13 pm »
It's unicorn poo that is. I was going to put £100 on it. That is almost 100% essential for debugging HP test kit from the 80s and 90s. They rarely turn up with probes.

I used to have the HP published book on signature analysis, how to design it into gear and so on. Lost it in my last house move. I suspect that book is unicorn pooh too nowadays. If I still had that I could tell you how to put together a DIY replacement because part of the book was a walk though of the design of the official HP signature analysers.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #74629 on: November 08, 2020, 09:04:10 pm »
Regardless of all the partisan nonsense and who you do or don't support, Americans claiming they're going to move to foreign nation [X] where they do know how to run a country make me chuckle. It's almost as if they consider migration a viable option when your home country is in shambles. I'm sure parts of South America will note the sentiment with interest.  ;D

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74630 on: November 08, 2020, 09:08:50 pm »

I used to have the HP published book on signature analysis, how to design it into gear and so on. Lost it in my last house move. I suspect that book is unicorn pooh too nowadays. If I still had that I could tell you how to put together a DIY replacement because part of the book was a walk though of the design of the official HP signature analysers.

This one?
http://hpmemoryproject.org/an/pdf/an_222.pdf

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74631 on: November 08, 2020, 09:10:19 pm »

A little secret, some TEKTRONIX logic analysers also do signature analysis and are compatible with the HP ones giving the same codes. A nice small one is the Tek / Sony 308. The 318 and 318 don't have signature analysis.

I also have a (rare) LogicDart and the "Logic Troubleshooting" kit with comparator and probes pluse the current probe and pulser.

That's interesting to know, I have both the Tek 308 & 318 from the job lot of TE I bought earlier this year, both are now in storage awaiting repair, at least one of them has some probes with it.

David

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74632 on: November 08, 2020, 09:18:37 pm »
Regardless of all the partisan nonsense and who you do or don't support, Americans claiming they're going to move to foreign nation [X] where they do know how to run a country make me chuckle. It's almost as if they consider migration a viable option when your home country is in shambles. I'm sure parts of South America will note the sentiment with interest.  ;D

Back at the time when the 1997 election was going on in the UK that ultimately returned Labour to power and ended the run of government that the Tories had enjoyed since 1979, Andrew Lloyd Webber said, very publicly, that he was going to leave Britain if Labour got into power. A friend, who at the time was working as a staff writer on the Big Issue went and doorstepped him on the day after the election to ask him why he was still here, and what were his plans for leaving.  :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74633 on: November 08, 2020, 09:19:17 pm »

This one?

I have a paper copy of AN 222-4 Guidelines for signature analysis - understanding the signature measurement which shows the shift register taps & logic used to generate the signature, with examples. I can't help but think it ought to be possible to use the serial bus analyser built in to Keysight's Megazoom 4 oscilloscopes (e.g. X3000T) to implement a signature analyser.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74634 on: November 08, 2020, 09:22:02 pm »

That's interesting to know, I have both the Tek 308 & 318 from the job lot of TE I bought earlier this year, both are now in storage awaiting repair, at least one of them has some probes with it.

David

The serial probe input for the 308 is a standard 1M \$\Omega\$ 'scope probe input. The only thing special about the "proper" probe is a right angle connector.

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74635 on: November 08, 2020, 09:23:11 pm »

This one?

Not to detract from the usefulness of that, but no, it was a fully fledged book, 200-300 pages, published for HP by one of the usual suspects (Elsevier, Addison-Wesley and so on). Went into much more detail.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #74636 on: November 08, 2020, 10:03:36 pm »

https://www.banggood.com/DIY-Mini-Tesla-Coil-Module-Kit-Magic-Projects-DIY-Electronic-Production-With-Power-Supply-p-1438409.html

Dammit Banggood... I wanna be offended by how you've commoditized what was one of my childhood rites of passage; finding the parts and building one of these... But fuck, for a dozen dollars delivered... less than a decent burger in most towns... another part of me wants to buy a gross of them just to see how much trouble I can get in. With my son.  >:D

mnem
Yeah... with my son.... that sounds good. Lets go widdat! :-DD
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:10:53 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #74637 on: November 08, 2020, 10:23:04 pm »
Sparking bumblebutt.  :-DD :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #74638 on: November 08, 2020, 10:24:56 pm »
Philips PM2534 6.5 Digits... DMM
Replaced the display, now its good...

Do you, by any chance, have a lead on replacement displays for Philips gear? I've got a PM6665 that those Poles mangled in shipping. It works, but the display is broken. Not all digits are discernible.

the displey was stupid luck... i bought those Delta psu’s from a guy.. he seemed to have a lot of TE..so i just asked...he would have a look... laterthepsu’s arrived with an extra bubble envelope..  i will ask if he has more..

yes the backlight would be a nice extra.

That is stupid luck!  I would really appreciate if you could ask. It's a PM6662 by the way, not a 6665; there was a bit of wishful thinking from me there  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74639 on: November 08, 2020, 10:41:33 pm »
Sparking bumblebutt.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Oh, I'm all aboot the sparklies...  :-DD

mnem
tzzzt.... ooooh...   tzzzt.... oooohhhh....
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74640 on: November 09, 2020, 01:46:55 am »
Thats a nice meter, just needs some lighting on the screen now.

Yeah, I had one but passed it on due to poor display readability. Did not look too hard but there did not seem to be an easy way to add inernal lighting.

I had 2 Philips meters at some point (PM2535 and PM2534) and also sold them. On top of the display they drift like crazy. Not sure if they had a problem but both were exhibiting the same symptom. Anyway, they went back on Ebay.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 01:59:15 am by Kosmic »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74641 on: November 09, 2020, 03:51:46 am »

It's been a loooooooong time since I last faced this particular bootstrapping conundrum...  :o

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #74642 on: November 09, 2020, 08:35:26 am »
..last one for now:
threw 12 Euros at a crimping tool that looks much like a much more expensive tool.
Have tried it and what can I say? It's working absolutely fine.  :-+

what piss me off is that they are using the Knipex color scheme. Cowards!

As for me I buy only Knipex, I am in love with the company and I want to support them.
Soon I will post a pic of all my Knipex guns....
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #74643 on: November 09, 2020, 08:54:08 am »
Knipex, Wiha, Belzer, Bernstein, Ideal-Tek, Lindström here for the win.  :D   :-+

Edit:
Oh, and my beloved Schmitz side cutter with the hard metal inlets

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 09:02:12 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Neomys Sapiens, tonyalbus

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #74644 on: November 09, 2020, 09:09:24 am »
Bernstein

I have to admit: if Knipex, Wiha are BMW, Mercedes level... for me Bernstein is like Lamborghini.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #74645 on: November 09, 2020, 09:15:58 am »
Bernstein

I have to admit: if Knipex, Wiha are BMW, Mercedes level... for me Bernstein is like Lamborghini.

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #74646 on: November 09, 2020, 09:16:45 am »
Some companies still know what service is...
Delta Elektronika .. the PSU's i showed...
i send an email to have schematics and informed about analog meters that are broken in it...for PSU's from 1970-2001 support ended 2011, within 1 hour i had schematics in my inbox,
today i get an email the meters will be sent to my adress ??  :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+
Delta Elektronika...you guys rock!

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, FransW, AVGresponding

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #74647 on: November 09, 2020, 09:19:19 am »
Okay, can you open a business tony? I mean if we need schematics we just email you.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 09:23:26 am by Zucca »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Neomys Sapiens

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #74649 on: November 09, 2020, 09:33:57 am »
Okay, can you open a business tony? I mean if we need schematics we just email you.

Haha....

usualy it is just asking the company with afriendly email if i can not find on google.
only sometimes like anritsu... it is the politcy not to help the clients with the schematics.. but still they reply friendly and sent a manual..
Just ask... that suprizingly works very well :)
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf