Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18070611 times)

Robert763, Vince and 31 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #74600 on: November 08, 2020, 10:44:59 am »
Note that it is clearly indicating the risetime it is measuring, something that I miss in modern scopes.

I like the way it highlights what it is measuring, but I don't agree that modern scopes don't clearly indicate it:

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74601 on: November 08, 2020, 10:45:42 am »
Are we still doing "Calculators'n Hands" or am I late to the party?

Oh my you have one of those colour Casio 9850G calculators. I bought one of them in 1997 I think it was. Totally regretted it  :palm:

Was the calc choosen by the school I attended. I like the ui, but the display in that one is god awfull. The CFX-9860G with the non backlit display has one of the nicest monochrome lcd I have seen so far. The 9860GII on display (these have a optional backlight) lacks only in direct comparison, but is very well usable.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74602 on: November 08, 2020, 10:50:51 am »

Oh my you have one of those colour Casio 9850G calculators. I bought one of them in 1997 I think it was. Totally regretted it  :palm:

Was the calc choosen by the school I attended. I like the ui, but the display in that one is god awfull. The CFX-9860G with the non backlit display has one of the nicest monochrome lcd I have seen so far. The 9860GII on display (these have a optional backlight) lacks only in direct comparison, but is very well usable.

Yeah my daughter uses a 9860Gii as well. That was school mandated.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #74603 on: November 08, 2020, 10:55:06 am »
Note that it is clearly indicating the risetime it is measuring, something that I miss in modern scopes.

I like the way it highlights what it is measuring, but I don't agree that modern scopes don't clearly indicate it:

Fair comment, but not all modern scopes are that pleasant and they don't show what they think are the 0% and 100% values.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:56:57 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74604 on: November 08, 2020, 10:55:58 am »

You know what, I think I have one of those here somewhere in my collection, still new in its box. If that was the only colour one they did then I definitely have one, will post photo when I find it  :palm: The colours and the display was horrible, very hard to read and hence why it is still in its box.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 10:59:17 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74605 on: November 08, 2020, 12:05:39 pm »
I can remember back in school I had set all three colors to blue most of the time.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #74606 on: November 08, 2020, 12:34:05 pm »
All I got is the hand hued beams in the sub flooring from when the house was originally built in the 1860's. But back then they tended to "overbuild" much higher to the plans. Or did they? We don't know but one day we just might find out.  :o :-DD

Not that I collect TEA like all of you but I don't have to worry about flooring.  No Basement, concrete slab for flooring.  Damned thick too.  When we remodeled the master bath, we went from a shower to a soaker tub so the drain had to be relocated.  Slab at that point was about 10 inches thick.  Nice to know that the slab is sufficient if we can ever afford the 300 gallon fish tank we want.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74607 on: November 08, 2020, 01:26:13 pm »
All I got is the hand hued beams in the sub flooring from when the house was originally built in the 1860's. But back then they tended to "overbuild" much higher to the plans. Or did they? We don't know but one day we just might find out.  :o :-DD
Hewn Med, hewn.  ;)

No, no, he meant hand hued - pinkish and slightly hairy, like the curtains.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #74608 on: November 08, 2020, 02:22:50 pm »

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! :-DD

Hewn Med, hewn.  ;)

You know I thought that's how it should have been spelled too but Google said no.  :-//
Some decades ago a Canuck taught me how to use a broad axe to hew flat faces onto logs as part of the log building process. Twas a week long course and we learnt the BC scribed log and saddle notch method and it certainly was a lot of fun for us that were competent with a chainsaw and axe and a real eye opener after only having worked with sawn lumber.

Seems a lifetime ago, probably because it is !  :o
This chap; Allan Mackie:
https://ballanmackie.com/about/
Passed in 2017 at 91.

Grand-dad was a muleskinner in Washington State as a yout'... he knew more aboot woodcraft (both aspects of the term) than nearly any man alive. He tried to teach me aboot such things while we were renovating the barn on the farm he moved us all to when I was young. In his 40s, he hand-hewed easily 20 replacement posts & beams for that building; the only thing he used power tools for was to drill holes and turn the pegs.

I thought it looked ghetto because not smooth & shiny.  :palm:

mnem
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 02:24:47 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #74609 on: November 08, 2020, 03:11:04 pm »
Oculus, you might be interested in this. From the 1961 Tek catalog. Feel free to download it form my ImageShack account if you want.

It really is amazing that they could pull this off in the late 1950's/early 1960's which is why I posted it here. And it cost $3800 USD in 1961 which is about $33K USD today.  :o

I have zero interest in such boatanchors, except perhaps maybe for one of these:

I saw one (owned by the PTB) working at he Hannover MakerFaire, and it is gorgeous.

The original risetime plugin was introduced in '62. The logic (e.g. counters) is discrete transistors, of course, with a 14 valves and tunnel diodes for other functions.

Its replacement (shown above) was produced from 65-72.

Oh yes. But good luck finding one. Good luck finding one that works. Good luck in not having to mortgage the farm paying for it. That is the unicorn of boat anchors.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #74610 on: November 08, 2020, 03:13:48 pm »

Not that I collect TEA like all of you but I don't have to worry about flooring.  No Basement, concrete slab for flooring.  Damned thick too.  When we remodeled the master bath, we went from a shower to a soaker tub so the drain had to be relocated.  Slab at that point was about 10 inches thick.  Nice to know that the slab is sufficient if we can ever afford the 300 gallon fish tank we want.

Yes but don't you live in Florida which is known for the sinkholes?  :o :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74611 on: November 08, 2020, 03:42:42 pm »

Sunday Morning Breakfast and the Holy Trinity at mnem's house. ;)

I found some Canadian-produced "Dark & Heavy" Maple Syrup for my blueberry Eggos; it came in a can aboot the size of a can of pork & beans. I didn't have any idea what to expect, aside from the fact it felt pretty thick shaking the can.

Very pleasantly surprised; strong maple taste with a hint of molasses. Very much what I remember from my youth, poured from a 1 quart stoneware jug on my grandmomma's breakfast table. Not sure if that's normal for real maple syrpple, or because grand-dad added molasses to his when he made it; but it's the taste I remember.  :-+

mnem
yummm.       
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 03:48:29 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74612 on: November 08, 2020, 03:49:56 pm »
Did something todaay that I havent done in years, tapped  long string of numbers into my phone to activate a copy of Windows XP. I was a bit concerned that I would not be able to activate it at all as the online service has closed. But having drilled down a few selection levels starting with "to activate Windows 10 press 1" it worked.
Thi is TEA related The machine in question is a oldish Amplicon 2U 19" rack PC that supports some older kit the needs "real" com ports and a 32 bit OS. The old motherboard (Intel D945G) was getting flakey and Win 2000 isn't ideal. So a NOS Gigabyte G31M, Core2 Duo (3.16 GHz), 4GB (yes I know it can't use it all) and 1TB of storage Works pretty well with a fresh XP install. None of your liquid cooled Ryzen stuff here :D
Also needed a new CD writer and I fitted a 3/5" floppy (have some kit that still uses them) to find the cable supplied the the MB was 10mm too short. 5 minutes in the garage and found a nice long cable, even has a 52/4" drive connector. Even I don't currently hav anything that need that but I do have a couple of drives and some disks stashed away.
Works fine for the task. Fans are a bit noisey though.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74613 on: November 08, 2020, 04:20:51 pm »

Yes but don't you live in Florida which is known for the sinkholes?  :o :-DD
That is a possible reason for the extra thick concrete floor slab, to try and maintain some rigidity to aid escape in the event of a sinkhole opening up under part of the house so escape is hopefully possible before it swallows the house or part of it maybe?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #74614 on: November 08, 2020, 04:24:13 pm »
Philips PM2534 6.5 Digits... DMM
Replaced the display, now its good...
beauty is in the eye of the beholder... i am not sure...
but it does work fine!.

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, mansaxel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74615 on: November 08, 2020, 04:53:59 pm »
Thats a nice meter, just needs some lighting on the screen now.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #74616 on: November 08, 2020, 05:03:28 pm »

Do you, by any chance, have a lead on replacement displays for Philips gear? I've got a PM6665 that those Poles mangled in shipping. It works, but the display is broken. Not all digits are discernible.

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74617 on: November 08, 2020, 05:07:31 pm »
Been playing with the Agilent 34970A Logger/DMM and noticed it does not hold it's settings with mains off  :-BROKE.
A quick check showed that as expected the back-up battery is dead. It's a bit of an odd one, BR2477A. This is a fat, tagged coin cell 3.0V. These seem a bit rare with the correct tags an expensive in any form. So I had a 1/3A 3.6V Saft so a cable tie base, tie and some wire sorted that. You have to take the DMM module out to access the back-up batery and when I put it back together ther was no DMM function :scared: However it turns out there is a "Disable DMM" option in the utility menu that had defaulted back to disabled so easy fix  :phew: :-DMM
The plan to hace a breakout box with 3 or 4 sets of sockets looks good. I've got a box with sockets already fitted but dammed if I can find it at the moment. As soon as I start drilling a new box the other one will appear.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74618 on: November 08, 2020, 05:10:22 pm »

Yeah, I had one but passed it on due to poor display readability. Did not look too hard but there did not seem to be an easy way to add inernal lighting.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74619 on: November 08, 2020, 06:09:56 pm »

Yeah, I had one but passed it on due to poor display readability. Did not look too hard but there did not seem to be an easy way to add inernal lighting.
Thats a good point with my Solartron 7150 plus's, their great 6.5 meters with decent backlit displays.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74620 on: November 08, 2020, 07:15:17 pm »
Oculus, you might be interested in this. From the 1961 Tek catalog. Feel free to download it form my ImageShack account if you want.

It really is amazing that they could pull this off in the late 1950's/early 1960's which is why I posted it here. And it cost $3800 USD in 1961 which is about $33K USD today.  :o

I have zero interest in such boatanchors, except perhaps maybe for one of these:

I saw one (owned by the PTB) working at he Hannover MakerFaire, and it is gorgeous.

The original risetime plugin was introduced in '62. The logic (e.g. counters) is discrete transistors, of course, with a 14 valves and tunnel diodes for other functions.

Its replacement (shown above) was produced from 65-72.

Oh yes. But good luck finding one. Good luck finding one that works. Good luck in not having to mortgage the farm paying for it. That is the unicorn of boat anchors.  :scared:

There were a pair of rack mount RM567 versions on ePay over a year ago, one made $355 & the other $306 (missing the input module), neither had any probes & were untested.

There is half a later version Tek 230 (for Tek 568) on ePay in Austria at the moment, not cheap either: eBay auction: #233732725565

David

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74621 on: November 08, 2020, 07:43:11 pm »
Philips PM2534 6.5 Digits... DMM   Replaced the display, now its good...   beauty is in the eye of the beholder... i am not sure...   but it does work fine!   https://youtu.be/Mmr6-NKht3c

Where did you get your replacement display? You found a parts source, or did you have to cannibalize?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-9x-lcd-backlight-kit-blue-diy.html

Those LCDs with translucent reflector plastic backing respond well both to edge-lighting and to illumination from a BL diffuser; if it's the kind with actual aluminum foil on the back, obviously not. We used to use the above kit on our Turnigy 9X RC radios back in the day, they work well in other applications as long as there's 3-4mm space behind the LCD. I don't believe the Turnigy BL kit is wide enough for your display as-is; you'd have to make your own light panel out of Lexan and dismantle an old computer monitor for the diffuser sheets.

But the kit above does come with two very bright LEDs, and they are the correct type as they're made with an integral lens specifically for illuminating a light panel. They come premounted on a bit of PCB, so I still recommend spending the money on the kit to get all that part pre-made for you. It's only $5, after all. They used to come in all different colors; now unfortunately, only white & blue. :-//

If you're feeling froggy, you could always try edge-lighting with a bit of RGB strip like I did for my Taranis.  >:D

mnem
 :-/O

« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 07:54:06 pm by mnementh »

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #74622 on: November 08, 2020, 07:52:59 pm »

Do you, by any chance, have a lead on replacement displays for Philips gear? I've got a PM6665 that those Poles mangled in shipping. It works, but the display is broken. Not all digits are discernible.

the displey was stupid luck... i bought those Delta psu’s from a guy.. he seemed to have a lot of TE..so i just asked...he would have a look... laterthepsu’s arrived with an extra bubble envelope..  i will ask if he has more..

yes the backlight would be a nice extra.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 08:00:26 pm by tonyalbus »
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #74623 on: November 08, 2020, 07:54:00 pm »
Well, I didn't expect that...

Was watching this with an eye to throwing a bid, when inside the final minute two bidders who obviously have a pressing need for it decided £270 is a sensible price:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Agilent-HP-5005A-Programmable-Signature-Multimeter-Analyser-/324356903429
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74624 on: November 08, 2020, 08:25:41 pm »
It's unicorn poo that is. I was going to put £100 on it. That is almost 100% essential for debugging HP test kit from the 80s and 90s. They rarely turn up with probes.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf