Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17507860 times)

khach, Vince, factory and 66 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #73400 on: October 28, 2020, 01:22:13 pm »
 Hubby has been using it for more than a year. Some hangs, but apart from that pretty usable as cheap internet station. Needs rather large heatsink.youtube playback at full hd not a problem.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73401 on: October 28, 2020, 01:29:24 pm »
Good to know. I've got an HP desktop and a Lenovo M600 lying around. Will keep using those for now as I already own them. The M600 is currently purposed as my "embedded systems box". All it's got is PSU, ethernet, USBasp and FTDI hanging off it. Quite handy for that shit. Console is on the desktop/laptop. Main thing is it has a proper M2 SSD in it, crap loads of USB holes and the thing is industrial grade enclosure. Feels like something mil spec. Also no moving parts at all!

« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 01:32:23 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73402 on: October 28, 2020, 01:39:12 pm »
It's still at debian Stretch. I have a second one with a blown SD slot which is now running with an emmc card. Works just as well.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #73403 on: October 28, 2020, 01:48:20 pm »

Currently abusing myself with Frustion360; working on a insert to organize all my favorite drivers in this little SS box. In theory they should all go; in practice...

mnem
"The Devil is in the details."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73404 on: October 28, 2020, 01:53:41 pm »
Newark has succeeded in pissing me off.

An email came from them at 12:17 PM saying I had until midnight to use a discount code.  Order placed at 21:52.  Discount code not accepted.  I went through with that purchase because I need those parts and I'd already built up the shopping cart.  I've always used Newark since I stopped putting up with the nth tier, non-name brand eBay/Chinese e-commerce stuff the local bricks and mortar store hawks, but the next parts order is going to go through Digikey or Mouser to give the competition a try.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #73405 on: October 28, 2020, 02:02:10 pm »

Currently abusing myself with Frustion360; working on a insert to organize all my favorite drivers in this little SS box. In theory they should all go; in practice...
We will pray for yo.....

Nah.  Who am I kidding.... 

Somebody please thrown him a rope - I think in 3 or 4 days.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #73406 on: October 28, 2020, 02:19:39 pm »

An email came from them at 12:17 PM saying I had until midnight to use a discount code.  Order placed at 21:52.  Discount code not accepted.  I went through with that purchase because I need those parts and I'd already built up the shopping cart.  I've always used Newark since I stopped putting up with the nth tier, non-name brand eBay/Chinese e-commerce stuff the local bricks and mortar store hawks, but the next parts order is going to go through Digikey or Mouser to give the competition a try.

Mouser all the time.

Anyway thanks for sharing. My today also sucks, went to the local postal office to pick up another ender5 upgrade from chinaaauuu. Package is lost please call this number. Have a nice day. Goodbye.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #73407 on: October 28, 2020, 02:22:35 pm »

I had my first experience with FreeCAD last weekend. It's like to learn German. It is not easy but when you know it, you fly.
Interesting how a 3D printer magically changes all the objects in "something it could be improved if"......

I am with you dwagon, do not fear Fuuu360.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73408 on: October 28, 2020, 02:33:05 pm »
So I was going to pull out the Type 310A and work it some more but decided instead to tear down bench 1 and finish the painting. Here it is with the upper shelving pulled down. Took me all morning to complete it. I still have to pull out the bench itself so I can clean behind it, put up the edging tape, and then the actual painting. That will be tomorrow. Stay tuned.

The curtains are BROWN.  :-DD

Thank you Captain Obvious for pointing that out.  :P :P ;D

Yo Captain. Perhaps I'm stating the obvious but the inefficiency you were so eager to point out yesterday has been resolved. But then again, I don't want to ass u me if it was something else that put a bee in your bonnet.  ;D None the less the painting is now all done. Going to let it dry a while longer then start the tedious reassembly.   :palm:

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #73409 on: October 28, 2020, 02:51:56 pm »

Mouser all the time.

Anyway thanks for sharing. My today also sucks, went to the local postal office to pick up another ender5 upgrade from chinaaauuu. Package is lost please call this number. Have a nice day. Goodbye.

I'll keep that in mind for the next time I order parts.  I went through all the fine print on this one.  No time zone was given anywhere so I'm assuming either midnight local or midnight Chicago time since that's where Newark's based, which would've actually given me an extra hour due to where I'm located.  If it was midnight GMT, then sure, that discount code would've already expired by 21:57 local.  The only details in the fine print were exclusions for things like Raspberry Pi and other maker kit type stuff, and all I ordered was components.  Transistors, zener diodes, logic ICs and (cringe) 555s.  Nothing that was listed in the exclusions.

That sucks about your package being lost.  That really stinks when you've got something coming, it's almost there, you're looking forward to it, and then all of a sudden it doesn't show up.  Who knows, twenty years from now there might be a cute interest piece in the news about how a long lost parcel was found laying between a machine and the wall at a post office sorting plant somewhere...

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #73410 on: October 28, 2020, 03:30:19 pm »
So I was going to pull out the Type 310A and work it some more but decided instead to tear down bench 1 and finish the painting. Here it is with the upper shelving pulled down. Took me all morning to complete it. I still have to pull out the bench itself so I can clean behind it, put up the edging tape, and then the actual painting. That will be tomorrow. Stay tuned.

The curtains are BROWN.  :-DD

Thank you Captain Obvious for pointing that out.  :P :P ;D

Yo Captain. Perhaps I'm stating the obvious but the inefficiency you were so eager to point out yesterday has been resolved. But then again, I don't want to ass u me if it was something else that put a bee in your bonnet.  ;D None the less the painting is now all done. Going to let it dry a while longer then start the tedious reassembly.   :palm:

Oh! New curtains?

8) ;D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73411 on: October 28, 2020, 03:49:40 pm »

I have stayed away from Raspberry in droves for just that reason. If I wanted to run a version of *NIX even more castrated than android, on essentially a 10-year-old android Pwn without all the portability or a decent screen or usable touch interface... well, okay, I've never actually gotten past the "10-year-old android Pwn" part, so... :-//

I just don't see the excitement; get a 10-year-old Dell PC at the Thrift for $10 and you have the same thing and another $30-50 in your pocket.  :wtf:

mnem
*couch-tuber-time widda fam*

Eh? If you're implying that the OS on the Pi is a castrated Unix you're rather off the mark. The default is to run Raspbian (now inexplicable renamed Raspberry Pi OS) which is just the current version of Debian stable (buster at time of writing) built for ARM with hardware floating point. Nothing castrated about it, it's just vanilla Debian, the same as I've been running on my own servers for 15 years since I migrated off of Solaris.

There's also three flavours of Ubuntu, LibraELEC, OSMC, a handful of oddities and now a stable RiscOS, and as of a couple of weeks ago an experimental, official VMWare ESXi 7.0.0

Ugh ESXi on one of them. I think that just gave me cancer.

It did make me laugh. It takes 10 minutes to get vCenter to start on a full fat production machine with a decent amount of memory in, what it'd be like on a 8 Gb Pi I dread to think. Would it even fit?

I suspect it's VMware's way of getting a lot of testers for free. They will pretty much have to roll out a datacentre version of ESXi for ARM soon, as the long predicted wave of ARM servers does actually finally seem to be just around the corner. They might as well get the pain of getting it working over now, and inflict most of that pain on unsuspecting people desperately trying to put together a lab at home that's got enough nodes for them to run all the things (like vSAN, 3 node minimum) that they need to practice to get their VMware accredited knob twiddler certificates.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73412 on: October 28, 2020, 03:55:40 pm »
I can run half a kubernetes cluster on 2x 4gb nodes so it might fit. VMWare though; not the most efficient usage of compute resources running all those kernels though  :palm:

I've just moved all my personal dev stuff over to my M600 from two virtual machines (because I need to rebuild the infernal thing). That's a 4W TDP Celeron N3010 with 4Gb of RAM. And it doesn't feel any slower than my Ryzen desktop  :-DD. Go compiler timings are about the same  :-//. I may fire up a desktop on it (suckless dwm - nothing fancy) and see how terrible it is.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 03:57:55 pm by bd139 »

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73413 on: October 28, 2020, 03:57:05 pm »

But why are the curtains suddenly brown?
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73414 on: October 28, 2020, 03:58:50 pm »
he dyed them.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73415 on: October 28, 2020, 03:59:17 pm »
And I thought I'd rubbed shit into my eyes by accident  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #73416 on: October 28, 2020, 04:00:24 pm »
Anybody spotted Defpoms recent PI 3b+ with SSD in a metal case build ?
https://youtu.be/xwW0EyR2zDM
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73417 on: October 28, 2020, 04:00:54 pm »

[Cerebus: Opens picture at full size. Desperately scours it to see if there's a spot that Med genuinely missed. Nope. Spots overpaint on radiator. Spots gap/crevice in paper by window frame. None a "missed bit". Curses. Walks off stage kicking at imaginary leaves, mumbling to himself. ]
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #73418 on: October 28, 2020, 04:04:29 pm »
[Cerebus: Opens picture at full size. Desperately scours it to see if there's a spot that Med genuinely missed. Nope. Spots overpaint on radiator. Spots gap/crevice in paper by window frame. None a "missed bit". Curses. Walks off stage kicking at imaginary leaves, mumbling to himself. ]
.....needs new glasses !  :P

Med cleverly took that pic in a way to partially hide the striping.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #73419 on: October 28, 2020, 04:19:09 pm »
Now that the green primer is on the wall what is the final color going to be?  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #73420 on: October 28, 2020, 04:21:04 pm »
You clowns are a freaking riot.  :-DD :-DD

Anyway.....bench 1 back in place. The overhead reinstalled. I removed the louver doors. I never close them and they get in the way. Side shelf above printer installed and joiner shelf between bench and audio system installed. Now to fill it with all my crap and reconnect the wiring.  :phew:

And holy shit, the curtains are still brown.  :P :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73421 on: October 28, 2020, 04:25:36 pm »
I had my first experience with FreeCAD last weekend. It's like to learn German. It is not easy but when you know it, you fly.   Interesting how a 3D printer magically changes all the objects in "something it could be improved if"......   I am with you dwagon, do not fear Fuuu360.
I don't fear Frustion360. I fear that if I keep using it, I will eventually come to enjoy the repetitive      . :-DD

mnem
Operant conditioning: It's what's for dinner.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73422 on: October 28, 2020, 04:30:41 pm »
I can run half a kubernetes cluster on 2x 4gb nodes so it might fit. VMWare though; not the most efficient usage of compute resources running all those kernels though  :palm:

I've just moved all my personal dev stuff over to my M600 from two virtual machines (because I need to rebuild the infernal thing). That's a 4W TDP Celeron N3010 with 4Gb of RAM. And it doesn't feel any slower than my Ryzen desktop  :-DD. Go compiler timings are about the same  :-//. I may fire up a desktop on it (suckless dwm - nothing fancy) and see how terrible it is.

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/ThinkCentre-M75q-1/p/11TC1MTM73Q

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73423 on: October 28, 2020, 04:50:39 pm »
We will pray for you.....   Nah.  Who am I kidding....    Somebody please thrown him a rope - I think in 3 or 4 days.

Currently printing at 20% infill and 0.28mm layer height. It's like watching firehose laid down after printing Tiny Toothless at 0.06mm. :-DD

Still a 17 hour print.  :palm:

mnem
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:52:21 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73424 on: October 28, 2020, 04:56:56 pm »
Anybody spotted Defpoms recent PI 3b+ with SSD in a metal case build ?
https://youtu.be/xwW0EyR2zDM

SSD via USB. Barf!

This is what I want to see on a device:

Not:

« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 04:59:17 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Zucca

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf