Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16731165 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #72225 on: October 15, 2020, 10:13:25 am »
Ah at least you have a nice TO220 heatsink now  :-DD

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #72226 on: October 15, 2020, 10:15:46 am »
It has six holes, so six TO220 will fit easily. The resistance is still 5R6, so guess I'll use it for the next attempt again.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 10:19:29 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72227 on: October 15, 2020, 11:18:14 am »
Very common issue with those metal clad resistors. They need a huge heatsink (1 ft square 1/8" thick) to run at their nominal rating. the "designers" don't read the datasheets properly and failure results. I think that every time I've been given a design to check that used one I've rejected it |O
The 25 W ones are only rated for 7 W at 25deg C and sea level with no heatsink. And they run over 100 deg surface temperature at that.
Max temperaure is 200 deg C.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #72228 on: October 15, 2020, 11:19:16 am »
Re: 3D printing.

Well the 3DP take home I have had since I got it working is: Once you’ve got it working, don’t rock the boat. Don’t even look at it funny. Then ritualistically copy exactly what you did last time. If anything shiny appears that makes the universe better it’s actually Satan’s evil so shun it like it’s a nazi or a pedophile. Avoid looking at YouTube videos about 3d printer upgrades too because the weaselly words will drag you off the one true path into the woods full of rabid pixies and nightmares. If a new printer comes out, laugh at the misery of everyone trying to get theirs to not spaghettify everything while basking in the glory of your adhesion.

Exactly! I have done the last upgrade to mine until the next best printer comes out. It's working fine and I doubt anything can improve the prints in any macroscopic way at this point. If anyone comes over and wants to see it I tell them "Whatever you do DON'T TOUCH IT!"

:-DD
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 11:42:50 am by xrunner »
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #72229 on: October 15, 2020, 11:31:02 am »
sigh. Found the major issue with the audio streamer that did not want to work.

The USB port in the DAC has decided to go *boom*, taking a couple of things with it.
Strange though, because it worked before.

Hooked up the DAC via Toslink (cable @ Reichelt about 2€), then fought against having no network in this appartment (Wireless adapter at Reichelt: 2€), then fought against Android routing tables that would not let me connect to the hotspot the streamer created.

It's working now (and I am online via USB tethering and a flaky mobile connection).

When doing my daily looting trip I also got a usb c enclosure for a 2.5" hard drive which unfortunately is not thick enough for the 4TB hdd that I got here plus an 8TB WD Book for a rather nice low amount of muuulah.

My audio streamer is playing fine now.
And I have no intention of fixing the bloody USB port. I am not gonna solder 0201ers, if I can get around that with some nice Toslink cable for the price of a coffee.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72230 on: October 15, 2020, 11:42:52 am »
Oh this is a bit nice: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114456317752

Appears to be all 75 ohm stuff though.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #72231 on: October 15, 2020, 11:52:44 am »
What's the thingy with the BNC and alligator clips?
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #72232 on: October 15, 2020, 12:16:36 pm »

That's going to to go for insane money.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #72233 on: October 15, 2020, 12:31:20 pm »

Its a low-reflection BNC to anything adapter.  >:D

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #72234 on: October 15, 2020, 12:33:45 pm »
Tried to use that resistor (5R6 -> 5.6 Ohms) as a pre-heater for some attempt to reflow an BGA. Suddenly it let the smoke out, that was on tuesday, still have remains of that smell here. I guess, pumping it up with 200W to more than 200 degrees (European ones, you know) was a bit to harsh  ::)

Anyway, BGA reflow attempt wasn't a success. I guess I'll retry with some other flux that flows better under the BGA than the gel I used.

A pop-out resistor, so to say :)

Had same story even when running on a heatsink. These parts dont like pulse loads at all, you have 5x times rated loads for a few seconds, and thats it. Otherwise - pop.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #72235 on: October 15, 2020, 12:52:32 pm »

Appears to be all 75 ohm stuff though.

N-connectors with 75 Ohm? Or PL259? Never saw others than 50 Ohm.

Edit: found this very questionable adapter. If Neomys will spot this, he will go for sure after the seller and will pulling his ears!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 12:57:45 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72236 on: October 15, 2020, 01:02:31 pm »
Edit: found this very questionable adapter. If Neomys will spot this, he will go for sure after the seller and will pulling his ears!

That's tame, have a look at this beauty!
https://www.amazon.com/Coaxial-Coax-Adapter-Female-Connector/dp/B0118NTIDM

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #72237 on: October 15, 2020, 01:05:38 pm »
I have to correct myself. Found this one from a reputable source:

Damar & Hagen

Looks like I was mistaken. There are 75 Ohm N-connectors around. Something learnt today.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #72238 on: October 15, 2020, 01:10:48 pm »

That's tame, have a look at this beauty!
https://www.amazon.com/Coaxial-Coax-Adapter-Female-Connector/dp/B0118NTIDM

* BU508A is waving with all these symbols in no particular order!

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #72239 on: October 15, 2020, 01:13:41 pm »
Bought a cheap 1 HP oil less air compressor, as non TEA, I usually post at "What do you buy thread ?" in General section ... but somehow its indirectly related to Med ...  :-DD

BTW, your package from me to you is within your country. Hopefully you'll have it in a few days.  :-+

The 465B is waiting, patiently ... in the background.  :P

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #72240 on: October 15, 2020, 01:25:52 pm »
I'm with you mnem on the SS vs brass nozzle, brass just gotta be better for heat transfer although it could be a fitment tolerance issue so did you consider adding some thermal paste for a better thermal connection ?

Contamination...!   

Re: 3D printing.

Well the 3DP take home I have had since I got it working is: Once you’ve got it working, don’t rock the boat. Don’t even look at it funny. Then ritualistically copy exactly what you did last time. If anything shiny appears that makes the universe better it’s actually Satan’s evil so shun it like it’s a nazi or a pedophile. Avoid looking at YouTube videos about 3d printer upgrades too because the weaselly words will drag you off the one true path into the woods full of rabid pixies and nightmares. If a new printer comes out, laugh at the misery of everyone trying to get theirs to not spaghettify everything while basking in the glory of your adhesion.

This is the way. ;)

Ah, the intel "copy exactly" philosophy. And to think of the epithets hurled at me when I said I wasn't interested in a 3D printer because I have no interest in continually mollycoddling them.

That's not a fair characterization of this particular problem. This is more a "the art of..." problem. Yes, hobbyist 3DP has a LOT of "The Art of..." in it; but the bottom line is I was using the wrong tool for the job, and it was my ignorance of the fact that caused all the |O.

No different from getting shite results because you didn't know better than to use a 75Ω cable/connector/terminator where 50Ω is called for. :-//

Exactly! I have done the last upgrade to mine until the next best printer comes out. It's working fine and I doubt anything can improve the prints in any macroscopic way at this point. If anyone comes over and wants to see it I tell them "Whatever you do DON'T TOUCH IT!"

:-DD

I guess I'm REALLY gonna be boned when my new CR-6SE arrives from CReality. EVER.  :palm:

In other news... there is a b-day in the house; my 1st officially becomes a teenager today, as opposed to just acting like one for the last 3 years.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 01:29:06 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72241 on: October 15, 2020, 01:36:25 pm »
In other news... there is a b-day in the house; my 1st officially becomes a teenager today, as opposed to just acting like one for the last 3 years.  :-DD

Ah you're fucked now then  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #72242 on: October 15, 2020, 01:36:54 pm »
[...]

Congratulations and all the best from my side.   :-+   :D

« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 01:41:53 pm by BU508A »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72243 on: October 15, 2020, 01:46:31 pm »

Ah you're fucked now then  :-DD

Agreed...condolences. Before you know it he'll want his learner's permit/license and bye-bye insurance discounts. And he'll be bringing home those same inconvenient females as you did with the pink hair and pierced belly buttons.  :P :-DD   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72244 on: October 15, 2020, 01:47:20 pm »

I'll give you a hint... 230 * root(2) = .... ?

Oh, now I got it. Nice one. Go fuck i18n. Normally I do set everything (including the darn locale settings on a PC, where's the "C" locale aka no localization gone to?) to decimal point and no (or at best ' ') thousands separator. Also don't like German translations of technical terms that I'm used to way longer than i18n was a thing.

Oh, I parsed your gripe wrong because I read it the same way.  :palm: And over here, I'd expect 160-180V or 370-400V depending on how much loading, so cornfuzzled by that as well.

mnem
Also, I wasn't really here... I was really still a mile up my 3DPrinter's arse... :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72245 on: October 15, 2020, 02:17:15 pm »
To be fair once you've got them working they're pretty good which is what I was alluding to.

But for my purposes I neither have the time or the head or physical space for it at the moment so where mine sat is now a TV unit, which is a more appropriate use for the fireplace :-DD

Much more useful  :-DD   

Yeah, one of the reasons my last two have been chosen to be unitized and small enough to stuff in a closet when not in use.

One thing my recent 1st layer adhesion issues have actually been a boon with: Yesterday I got through 4 iterations of the design because it printed just enough of the part to allow some test-fitting before coming off the bed. Currently on rev4.1...

mnem
 :P
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 03:01:55 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72246 on: October 15, 2020, 03:03:12 pm »
Tried to use that resistor (5R6 -> 5.6 Ohms) as a pre-heater for some attempt to reflow an BGA. Suddenly it let the smoke out, that was on tuesday, still have remains of that smell here. I guess, pumping it up with 200W to more than 200 degrees (European ones, you know) was a bit to harsh  ::)

Anyway, BGA reflow attempt wasn't a success. I guess I'll retry with some other flux that flows better under the BGA than the gel I used.

Current state of the art BGA rework setup here:
Glass ceramic cooktop with about 10cm raiser (a spiral
of thick aluminium foil, the "fins" torn of a home cinema amp's heatsink).
Chinesium infrared thermometer pistol.
Chinesium hot air toy.
Ball and stencil kit.
Lots of patience!

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72247 on: October 15, 2020, 03:04:44 pm »

Didn't you mean TO-126?  ;)

The following users thanked this post: bd139, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72248 on: October 15, 2020, 03:10:20 pm »

Didn't you mean TO-126?  ;)

Hahaha well played.

I just did something massive, impulsive and probably stupid which I'm probably going to regret next week (not TE related) :-DD

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #72249 on: October 15, 2020, 03:13:15 pm »

Silberschrott
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Wolfgang

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf