Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16732584 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #72200 on: October 15, 2020, 12:06:47 am »
Even though it is drawn correctly, those strange wiggly lines, which may represent a resistor, are harder to spot than a nice looking rectangle. Anytime.  :-+   :D

Funny, for me it's just the opposite. Those little rectangles representing resistors look ridiculous to me.  I guess it's all what you are used to.  ;D

Gets my vote. Objectively the resistor squiggle and inductor coil, if drawn properly, are much easier to take in at a glance than the IEC symbols with rectangles for both.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #72201 on: October 15, 2020, 12:31:07 am »
Ever seen one of these ??   ..... thank you mailman.....

I haven't. But I do have something very similar.

The adapter has five banana plugs that fit into the thermometer's jacks so you can use regular thermocouple plugs.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #72202 on: October 15, 2020, 12:36:32 am »
For those who were worried that all those parts replacements to the Fluke calibrator had potentially been detrimental:

TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #72203 on: October 15, 2020, 02:24:38 am »
    Nooooooooooo!

This thing has been for a week... but at least this is a different kind of kicking. Maybe I have some small measure of hope here... LOL

mnem
 |O
:wtf: What happen?  :-//

My 3DP has been a total fucking ballbusting bitch ever since I fired it up after the move a week ago. Turns out it didn't like the SS nozzles I installed after a clog.  ::) But I didn't discover that til after I spent days messing with it, tore my all-new 'fang hotend apart, and replaced everything with the OEM hotend.  :P

I had good results immediately after cleaning/reinstalling the original brass nozzle; a small test print completed successfully without issue. This was just one last kick in the balls with a simple 1st layer adhesion problem that I should be able to resolve here pretty painlessly & pretty quickly. I hope.  :palm:

mnem
 |O
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 02:33:07 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #72204 on: October 15, 2020, 04:36:31 am »
    Nooooooooooo!

This thing has been for a week... but at least this is a different kind of kicking. Maybe I have some small measure of hope here... LOL

mnem
 |O

My 3DP has been a total fucking ballbusting bitch ever since I fired it up after the move a week ago. Turns out it didn't like the SS nozzles I installed after a clog.  ::) But I didn't discover that til after I spent days messing with it, tore my all-new 'fang hotend apart, and replaced everything with the OEM hotend.  :P

I had good results immediately after cleaning/reinstalling the original brass nozzle; a small test print completed successfully without issue. This was just one last kick in the balls with a simple 1st layer adhesion problem that I should be able to resolve here pretty painlessly & pretty quickly. I hope.  :palm:

mnem
 |O

did you ever printed a heat tower, i do this per fillament.
after printing this temperature tower, it turned out i neededto print a lot hotter then standart advised temperature... after that lot was better
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #72205 on: October 15, 2020, 04:41:13 am »
... Turns out it didn't like the SS nozzles I installed after a clog.  ...

mnem
 |O

Noob question, so its just the matter of nozzle's material ? Stainless steel vs brass ?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72206 on: October 15, 2020, 04:58:03 am »

I'm not sure. SS does not have nearly the thermal coefficent that brass does. But the SS nozzles came with my MicroSwiss hotend block. Only thing I can figure is they must not be intended for this application... or maybe it all needs their damned heat-sink/tube to work right. :-//

Well, at least I got the dual-cog extruder drive installed and ESTEPS cal'd out of the deal. A small victory there. :-+

Cheers,

mnem
*toddling off to ded*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #72207 on: October 15, 2020, 05:11:57 am »
Another temptation, 83V ... the protective film at LCD still there unpeeled ... about <= 110 bucks, grab it ?  :palm:  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72208 on: October 15, 2020, 05:13:31 am »
    Nooooooooooo!

mnem
 |O

mnem
 |O

did you ever printed a heat tower, i do this per fillament. after printing this temperature tower, it turned out i needed to print a lot hotter then standart advised temperature... after that lot was better

Naaah... same filament I've been using all along (and printed temp towers for) only everything suddenly didn't work. This setup was just not working right. I had to push it up to 240-250° on PLA to get a melt zone anywhere near the tip... even with no layer fan it sucked adhesion and no flow control because it was way too hot. Add the layer fan and even worse.

You gotta understand... this was nothing changed since the last time I used it and it worked. The nozzle change came as a simple swapout after a clog before I even moved; the first SS nozzle worked for a couple projects there but I think that was only because they were small & simple.

It never even occurred to me that it was causing all these subsequent issues.

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a nozzle mallet*

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #72209 on: October 15, 2020, 05:24:21 am »
I'm with you mnem on the SS vs brass nozzle, brass just gotta be better for heat transfer although it could be a fitment tolerance issue so did you consider adding some thermal paste for a better thermal connection ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #72210 on: October 15, 2020, 06:56:17 am »
I just spent half an hour looking for the reason why I have 0.3V on that cap rather than filtered mains.

Go fuck yourself, Rigol.

Ugh that UI is fucking terrible! Took me a minute to parse it.

So... is it running a Min/Max, and it's displaying a Min value?

Sorry... not even a little bit familiar with the UI here; just trying to understand.  ???
mnem
*poot*

I'll give you a hint... 230 * root(2) = .... ?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72211 on: October 15, 2020, 07:00:14 am »
Re: 3D printing.

Well the 3DP take home I have had since I got it working is: Once you’ve got it working, don’t rock the boat. Don’t even look at it funny. Then ritualistically copy exactly what you did last time. If anything shiny appears that makes the universe better it’s actually Satan’s evil so shun it like it’s a nazi or a pedophile. Avoid looking at YouTube videos about 3d printer upgrades too because the weaselly words will drag you off the one true path into the woods full of rabid pixies and nightmares. If a new printer comes out, laugh at the misery of everyone trying to get theirs to not spaghettify everything while basking in the glory of your adhesion.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, nfmax, BU508A, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72212 on: October 15, 2020, 07:12:45 am »
Another temptation, 83V ... the protective film at LCD still there unpeeled ... about <= 110 bucks, grab it ?  :palm:  :scared:

You have to ask?  :-DD

BTW, your package from me to you is within your country. Hopefully you'll have it in a few days.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BravoV

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #72213 on: October 15, 2020, 07:20:29 am »
Even though it is drawn correctly, those strange wiggly lines, which may represent a resistor, are harder to spot than a nice looking rectangle. Anytime.  :-+   :D

Funny, for me it's just the opposite. Those little rectangles representing resistors look ridiculous to me.  I guess it's all what you are used to.  ;D

Gets my vote. Objectively the resistor squiggle and inductor coil, if drawn properly, are much easier to take in at a glance than the IEC symbols with rectangles for both.
Agreed. Plus I find the resistor squiggle quicker to draw when sketching circuits.

However, the most absurd IEC symbols are those square box symbols for all types of logic gates. The committee that came up with that one couldn't have found a more effective way of making it difficult to discern the function of a logic circuit. 

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #72214 on: October 15, 2020, 07:38:32 am »

Well the 3DP take home I have had since I got it working is: Once you’ve got it working, don’t rock the boat. Don’t even look at it funny. Then ritualistically copy exactly what you did last time. If anything shiny appears that makes the universe better it’s actually Satan’s evil so shun it like it’s a nazi or a pedophile. Avoid looking at YouTube videos about 3d printer upgrades too because the weaselly words will drag you off the one true path into the woods full of rabid pixies and nightmares. If a new printer comes out, laugh at the misery of everyone trying to get theirs to not spaghettify everything while basking in the glory of your adhesion.

Ah, the intel "copy exactly" philosophy.

And to think of the epithets hurled at me when I said I wasn't interested in a 3D printer because I have no interest in continually mollycoddling them.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72215 on: October 15, 2020, 07:45:37 am »
October 6th marked my 5th year anniversary in joining the Blog. My TE world went from this....

To this.....

Those louver doors won't close anymore.   :palm: ;D

Seriously, it's been a real blast and I'm especially thankful for all the new friends I've made in the journey to TE insanity. Who knows what the next 5 years might bring.  :-+

Friends? Hell...you're all a bunch of enablers.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72216 on: October 15, 2020, 07:48:21 am »

And to think of the epithets hurled at me when I said I wasn't interested in a 3D printer because I have no interest in continually mollycoddling them.

I share your no interest for the same reason.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72217 on: October 15, 2020, 08:18:06 am »

I share your no interest for the same reason.

To be fair once you've got them working they're pretty good which is what I was alluding to.

But for my purposes I neither have the time or the head or physical space for it at the moment so where mine sat is now a TV unit, which is a more appropriate use for the fireplace :-DD

Much more useful  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72218 on: October 15, 2020, 08:20:51 am »
October 6th marked my 5th year anniversary in joining the Blog. My TE world went from this....

... snip images ....

To this.....

... snip images ....

Seriously, it's been a real blast and I'm especially thankful for all the new friends I've made in the journey to TE insanity. Who knows what the next 5 years might bring.  :-+

In 5 years your floor is going to go through  :-DD

Seriously though, spot on. Been crazy but fun  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72219 on: October 15, 2020, 08:43:33 am »

Yep, my 2nd floor apartment will become a 1st floor apartment. Which is OK because in 5 years I'll be too old to walk up stairs.  :o :-DD

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #72220 on: October 15, 2020, 08:51:29 am »
OH HELLO THERE!!

No no no... it's the 7065 that says "HELLO" when you turn it on...

^-^
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea, BU508A, Specmaster, syau, tonyalbus

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #72221 on: October 15, 2020, 09:10:09 am »

... snip images ....

To this.....

... snip images ....

Wait until he gets some spectrum analysers, even "portable" ones the size of 80s scopes.
Wait until he gets some metrology stuff, e.g. multifunction calibrators or KVDs.

At that point you start to spread the load over multiple joists, and wooden lintels start to raise questions in your mind :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #72222 on: October 15, 2020, 09:59:39 am »

I'll give you a hint... 230 * root(2) = .... ?

Oh, now I got it. Nice one. Go fuck i18n. Normally I do set everything (including the darn locale settings on a PC, where's the "C" locale aka no localization gone to?) to decimal point and no (or at best ' ') thousands separator. Also don't like German translations of technical terms that I'm used to way longer than i18n was a thing.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72223 on: October 15, 2020, 10:02:23 am »

Hell Med, I don't think that there is a single one of us, who if in your shoes, wouldn't have done precisely the same with regard to the TE expansion  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #72224 on: October 15, 2020, 10:10:34 am »
Tried to use that resistor (5R6 -> 5.6 Ohms) as a pre-heater for some attempt to reflow an BGA. Suddenly it let the smoke out, that was on tuesday, still have remains of that smell here. I guess, pumping it up with 200W to more than 200 degrees (European ones, you know) was a bit to harsh  ::)

Anyway, BGA reflow attempt wasn't a success. I guess I'll retry with some other flux that flows better under the BGA than the gel I used.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 10:14:06 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf