Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16725415 times)

Kosmic, klab and 108 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #72025 on: October 13, 2020, 08:29:40 am »
With power supplies you get what you pay for. This is why I buy old ones. You get what someone else paid for at the same price as you pay for a cranky house incinerator.

As mentioned earlier, inflation adjusted, a 6205B would have been around £1595 in current times as an example. That's probably why they pulled that line and went to plastic fantastic E36xx series which was mostly about economy.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72026 on: October 13, 2020, 08:53:20 am »
These PL series supplies certainly have had many design changes over the years internally more than external, I have this PL310 which only uses a single 2N3055 pass transistor, and yet I have a older PL320 that has 4 of them and a newer TS3021S that has 3, the latter, although having a different model prefix, is essentially a PL with LCDs in place of LEDs.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72027 on: October 13, 2020, 10:09:38 am »
These PL series supplies certainly have had many design changes over the years internally more than external, I have this PL310 which only uses a single 2N3055 pass transistor, and yet I have a older PL320 that has 4 of them and a newer TS3021S that has 3, the latter, although having a different model prefix, is essentially a PL with LCDs in place of LEDs.

More perhaps than almost any other device, the 2N3055 has, over the years, been a moveable feast in terms of its performance. I suspect the design was changed to suit the parts they could buy at the time.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #72028 on: October 13, 2020, 11:48:44 am »
Another haul.
Shitloads of stuff. Raaco carousel 45€, 4 TB 2.5". HArd drive, 24" LG ips business monitor (50 pesos), some industrial ddr4 so dimm ,(ext. Temperature range -80 centigrade) plus some stuff I can use to build my own ac independent soldering iron ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, ch_scr

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72029 on: October 13, 2020, 12:13:44 pm »

More perhaps than almost any other device, the 2N3055 has, over the years, been a moveable feast in terms of its performance. I suspect the design was changed to suit the parts they could buy at the time.
Why should that be, it must have hit certain parameters to be called a 2N3055, anything else just would not be a 2N3055 surely?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72030 on: October 13, 2020, 12:25:50 pm »
2N3055 transistors vary considerably on all parameters. All the specifications are "aspirational" at best. You occasionally can't use new 2n3055's in old devices without a capacitor added across base-collector to slow 'em down.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72031 on: October 13, 2020, 12:30:07 pm »
2N3055 transistors vary considerably on all parameters. All the specifications are "aspirational" at best. You occasionally can't use new 2n3055's in old devices without a capacitor added across base-collector to slow 'em down.

Hit that one once with mica TO3 insulating washers. Over time, they got thinner, and the increased capacitance caused us problems!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 12:31:50 pm by nfmax »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #72032 on: October 13, 2020, 12:37:43 pm »
I wish there was a "never show me shit by that idiot again" button on ebay. That'd clear up those items nicely

When you have done a search, under "show only", See more", "seller" there is an option to exclude a list of sellers.
Also available under advanced search.

Yeah but you have to explicitly use it every time. We have before bemoaned the fact that you can't blacklist sellers (from your private point of view) on a permanent basis.

Yeah; they've had the built-in advertising Favorites "feature"  ::) since the dawn of time, so the database is already there. All we'd need is a nice little "Fuck off & Die" button added to it.

OTOH, I've been feeling that way in general aboot fleaBay for a while now... so...  :-//

mnem
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:11:25 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72033 on: October 13, 2020, 12:38:29 pm »

Hit that one once with mica TO3 insulating washers. Over time, they got thinner, and the increased capacitance caused us problems!

Yeah can see that being a problem! Reminds me of an interesting design I saw here: https://ludens.cl/Electron/Ps20/Ps20.html

The collectors of the 2N3055's are grounded thus leading to less issues, better thermal conductivity and one less headache :)

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72034 on: October 13, 2020, 12:44:08 pm »
Oklay... where do you get one, and how much? Everyplace I go says they're NLA.  :(
I can only assume the company went busted after the Kickstarter. This makes my unit even more "gold plated".

Well, a very cordial "Fuck you!" to you then as well!  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, bd139

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #72035 on: October 13, 2020, 01:16:26 pm »
Got seduced by TON (Temptations Of NOS).  :palm:

Hint ... European made, an ancient relic, very pristine condition, clue ... the "bakelite" is still so shiny.  ::)

Wish me luck, will update if I scored it, still in the heat of bargaining.  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72036 on: October 13, 2020, 01:49:05 pm »

Hint ... European made, an ancient relic, very pristine condition, clue ... the "bakelite" is still so shiny.  ::)

Wish me luck, will update if I scored it, still in the heat of bargaining.  :scared:

The smell of burning bakelite brings back fond memories of my youth.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72037 on: October 13, 2020, 01:52:44 pm »

Why should that be, it must have hit certain parameters to be called a 2N3055, anything else just would not be a 2N3055 surely?

I've attached some of my personal collection of various "2N3055 decapped" pics so you can see how they've changed since the original by RCA back in the stone age.

The 2N3055 is a victim of its own success; you really can't even call most of the newer ones "fakes" as the originators of the part have made so many "variants" during the transition from the original homeotaxial design to epitaxial production, that you need a scorecard (a good one is at the bottom of this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2N3055 ) just to keep track. Once these chips are out there in the wild as an "equivalent", every manufacturer and his grandmomma gonna put it in whatever package they damn well feel like.

OTOH, that fact can make a designer stop a minute and make a circuit with some latitude in parts selection.

This old bruiser of a PSU is a case in point; it came with 5 2N3055 pass transistors in parallel, driven by a 2N2955. I've rebuilt it a dozen times, as the "short-circuit protection" is a joke and one or more of the pass transistors always takes the hit. BUT... once voltage is set, it'll happily sit right where you set it, drifting less than 100mV for weeks. Not bad for all-analog LM723-based design with a couple dozen parts ahead of the pass elements. That I got for scrap weight because someone shorted it out.  :-DD

Point being... I've rebuilt this thing with 2SD1049s, 2N3055s (sometimes mixed) and even some TTC5200s left over from my amp rebuilding daze. In fact, IIRC it's got a TTA1943 as the complimentary driver right now, and I think there was a while when finals was just 2 huge honkin' MJ-something-something in a TO247 package; it didn't care.

mnem
tzzzzt.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:25:48 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, BILLPOD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72038 on: October 13, 2020, 02:19:59 pm »

Another AVO? A Crosley Radio? The Desk Lamp of Doom?  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 02:21:59 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, BU508A

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72039 on: October 13, 2020, 02:45:27 pm »
That thing is fucking ugly  :-DD

Been after one of these for years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tizio

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, FransW

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #72040 on: October 13, 2020, 02:54:37 pm »
If one is interested in some hi-res pictures and an in-depth analysis of semiconductors, then Richis Lab is a very good address. Highly recommended from my side.  :-+
Warning! If you are susceptible for procrastination, this website is very dangerous for you!   ;D

And as for the 2N3055: here one can find a lot of different examples and an analysis from Richi.

Example: RCA from 1973 (hometaxial)

Here one can see the pn-junction glowing. Isn't that gorgeous?  :-+
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #72041 on: October 13, 2020, 03:03:08 pm »

Almost bought one of those 35 years ago!

I do have a luminaire and an ashtray by Artemide. The latter is a bloody strupid design for an ashtray, and my daughter hated it until I showed her the auction price :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #72042 on: October 13, 2020, 03:04:14 pm »

Another AVO? A Crosley Radio? The Desk Lamp of Doom?  :-DD

mnem

Ewww ... not that lamp, yuckkk !!!  :scared:

Well, more clues ... it was made pre-WW2 era in Nuremberg (I guess), and that rules out AVO as its Brit, but I guess I will just keep the thrill.  :-DD

Promise, if scored, I will post the complete photoshots & teardown, wish me luck.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 03:37:54 pm by BravoV »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72043 on: October 13, 2020, 03:25:33 pm »

...The Desk Lamp of Doom:-DD

mnem

What would you expect of the DLoD...? Luxo style?

I have one of the original Luxo Balanz desk lamps in storage; this pic is a clone. And of course, I chronicled the restoration of my Luxo Terea here in this thread a year ago or so:

I recently acquired a Ikea Riggad for my bedside; not quite as timeless a look as the Luxos, but all metal construction and I like the natural wood accents for the bedroom. Plus, excellent reading flood dispersal with absolutely zero bright spots or halo and 10W Qi-charging/USB. :-+

mnem
*lit AF*
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 03:31:36 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #72044 on: October 13, 2020, 03:33:05 pm »

Yeah can see that being a problem! Reminds me of an interesting design I saw here: https://ludens.cl/Electron/Ps20/Ps20.html

The collectors of the 2N3055's are grounded thus leading to less issues, better thermal conductivity and one less headache :)

A caveat:
The circuit in the link has two disadvantages:
- No compensation cap and resistor
- 5A per transistor is a bit much. In case of a short circuit, total dissipation is several 100W, on just 4 transistors.
  Fan and temp protection is needed, IMHO

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72045 on: October 13, 2020, 03:38:40 pm »
We're engineers, right?

This is the really important stuff about desk lighting: https://eprints.lancs.ac.uk/id/eprint/20295/1/20295.pdf

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72046 on: October 13, 2020, 03:41:49 pm »
On desk lamps, I have one of these which I thoroughly recommend:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M7YLKQ3/

Also RF silent!!!!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #72047 on: October 13, 2020, 03:48:49 pm »
Making progress with the painting. Just completed the wall behind where the audio system and media PC reside. Once that dries pull down the edging tape and re-install the shelving. You can see the difference in color new vs old above bench 1. That will be done last. Will start on the wall behind bench 2 first next week. It's actually a good thing that I have to pull out both benches. The AC mains wiring behind both has gotten out of hand and this will be a perfect opportunity to clean it up.

This picture due to the lighting and the camera does not show the true color of the new paint. The 2nd picture is accurate. 

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72048 on: October 13, 2020, 03:49:29 pm »
I think your camera is bust. It's coming out a shade of green instead of blue  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, Cubdriver, BU508A, Specmaster, syau, AVGresponding

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #72049 on: October 13, 2020, 04:24:39 pm »
Vodafone cable internet shitshow today.
Technician came to install cable and found out that he could not route a cable from the central distribution point to my appartment. He wanted to drill into the outer wall twice, once from the house distribution to the outside (i.e. the basement, and where I live, we are about 3 m below the ocean water line ..., plus on the first floor (to you 'mericans: we start at 0 over here when counting floors ..)

Obviously you do need permission from the home owners association to do that, so no internet today.
They said: maybe we can try DSL, it's a lot slower, more expensive, and we need another 4 weeks to find out if we can get DSL hooked up for you.
 |O |O |O |O :palm:

Why don't I live in a decent country where they have a minimum of services. I mean, even Nigeria is ahead of Germany in terms of Internet. And then the frigging government is tawking about digital revolution and such crap.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 04:26:14 pm by Saskia »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf