Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16728605 times)

flash2b, nfmax and 96 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #71925 on: October 12, 2020, 12:53:40 pm »
Well-fitting chinese (yes, but it looks the part) toggle switch for the 6206B arrived. Will fit tonight, and move on with restoration. The mode selector switch is going to be hairy, but I have hopes.

Online tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #71926 on: October 12, 2020, 12:57:32 pm »
I’ve got the day off today so I’m taking the kids to school then going back to bed  :-DD. This is one of the joys of having lots of holiday left. I’ve literally got to take 14 days off before end of December. Thus I choose Mondays  :-DD

Alas that probably won’t happen so I’m going to build some attenuators today.

Edit: actually no I’m not. I’m going to order some bits for a step attenuator

Yes great idea.... reading this, and counting my holidays left...
i planned all coming wednesdays off until new years :-) ..2 breaks in a week sounds good.
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #71927 on: October 12, 2020, 01:18:33 pm »
Now, if you'll excuse me, I need a change of underwear.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Zucca, BU508A, med6753, jonovid, syau, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #71928 on: October 12, 2020, 01:22:51 pm »

Meh, very little power. Will just tickle a bit.

Edit: No, won't touch it (the HV output) anyway.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 01:24:23 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #71929 on: October 12, 2020, 01:27:11 pm »

That's what my mind tells me. As I have already observed at other occasions, my brain is taking the backseat sometimes.

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71930 on: October 12, 2020, 01:35:49 pm »

How much will you be selling that for if you let it go?

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71931 on: October 12, 2020, 01:37:55 pm »
I wonder if it's like my PS350 -- it advertises precise current regulating capability but then has a big 'ol capacitor right across the output ready to deliver half a joule to anyone foolish enough to actually trust the current limit  ::)

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71932 on: October 12, 2020, 01:48:47 pm »

no statues of my goombah buddy to tear down here in gburg.  however, am thinking about tying a rope to the hitch on the pickup and yanking that secessionist bastard bobby lee off of traveler.

nixiefreqq - decendent of the 149th PVI (pennsylvania volunteer infantry) and "hell no.....we ain't forgettin' either"

Yea I know, where does the stupidity end? Rip down all statues of Confederate General Robert E. Lee AND erase all references to him at West Point where he graduated in good standing as an officer in the US Army. There are groups who want to do that.

Hell...I say rip all statues down including the Statue of Liberty and throw them in the ocean.  :P :-DD

Where does the stupidity end?  :-// ::)

yeah.  if you read Grants autobiography it sure looks like he liked bobby lee a lot.

but geeeeeeeeze.......the old man bumbled when choosing sides.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 02:00:51 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71933 on: October 12, 2020, 02:05:36 pm »
I know that I have mentioned about my bench LCR meter, the XLW01 which is really accurate and is inexpensive and can user calibrated using the resistors supplied.

This video provides a excellent guide to using it because it may or may not come instructions depending on where you buy it from, but it is superb alternative to the much liked DE5000 which many people here favour but it does a lot more than this unit and not any more accurate.

Edit, it is geared towards power supplies and audio type of work and NOT RF work.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 02:07:41 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71934 on: October 12, 2020, 02:15:53 pm »
Quick dive in. Gotta love Flukes!

The following users thanked this post: med6753, nixiefreqq, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71935 on: October 12, 2020, 02:18:33 pm »

I hear ya buddy, all of my Flukes also agree with each other and the calibrator even after all these years of use  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71936 on: October 12, 2020, 02:23:06 pm »
Same at home, even my first 75 is agreeing with the newest ones

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71937 on: October 12, 2020, 02:26:55 pm »
OTOH: on the hoarding side, an opportunity to double up on crucial equipment just surfaced. I love listings that aren't compatible with the string search in sales platforms, because of speling erorrs. Makes the audience smaller.

Don't we all, don't we all. The only difficulty with this strategy is coming up some of the more creative misspellings that people manage to make. It's easy to do vowel transpositions, adjacent key errors, the commoner errors such as f/ph, but some people's spelling is in another lexicographic universe entirely.

Plumbing update: The water authority just delegated the meter swap to the plumber, and also allowed them to turn the water back on. I have 10+ liters in containers on the kitchen countertop, and a full coffee Zojirushi.

A Zojirushi? Never heard of that, sounds like one of the characters out of Fritz Lang's Metropolis.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71938 on: October 12, 2020, 02:29:42 pm »
OTOH: on the hoarding side, an opportunity to double up on crucial equipment just surfaced. I love listings that aren't compatible with the string search in sales platforms, because of speling erorrs. Makes the audience smaller.

Don't we all, don't we all. The only difficulty with this strategy is coming up some of the more creative misspellings that people manage to make. It's easy to do vowel transpositions, adjacent key errors, the commoner errors such as f/ph, but some people's spelling is in another lexicographic universe entirely.

I actually wrote some de-stemming and idiot simulation code which comes up with creative misspellings based on key proximity and known autocomplete fuck ups based on what I'm interested in. I've done well out of it.

Do you want some HealthKit knobs? :-DD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174444372380

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71939 on: October 12, 2020, 02:34:44 pm »

I actually wrote some de-stemming and idiot simulation code which comes up with creative misspellings based on key proximity and known autocomplete fuck ups based on what I'm interested in. I've done well out of it.

Why reinvent the wheel when its already been done, unless you can make it better  :-DD

http://fatfingers.com/
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #71940 on: October 12, 2020, 02:35:08 pm »

I hear ya buddy, all of my Flukes also agree with each other and the calibrator even after all these years of use  :-+

Whats the fun in that, then you are done needing more if you have 2  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71941 on: October 12, 2020, 02:39:13 pm »
Over the last few years there have been calls to rip down all the statues dedicated to Columbus which has got the people of Italian descent all up in arms because he was Italian working for Spain.   

Of course Columbus was from the Republic of Genoa (Genoan ?) as there was no unified "Italy" in his day, just a bunch of rival city states - frequently warring with each other in Columbus's day. Some of the "Italians" cheering him on probably descend from city states that were bitter rivals of Genoa and, if true to their roots, ought to be cheering on the abolitionists.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #71942 on: October 12, 2020, 02:45:53 pm »

Edit: No, won't touch it (the HV output) anyway.

What makes you think the 0.6µA is a current limit, rather than the current?

The control at the top tight shows the overcurrent trip is 360µA, i.e. 10W at 30kV.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71943 on: October 12, 2020, 02:46:15 pm »

What was your ultimate goal, replacing the Government with a few hundred lines of Python?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71944 on: October 12, 2020, 02:51:21 pm »
I know that I have mentioned about my bench LCR meter, the XLW01 which is really accurate and is inexpensive and can user calibrated using the resistors supplied.

This video provides a excellent guide to using it because it may or may not come instructions depending on where you buy it from, but it is superb alternative to the much liked DE5000 which many people here favour but it does a lot more than this unit and not any more accurate.

Edit, it is geared towards power supplies and audio type of work and NOT RF work.

They also offer DIY kits now  :)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001156913695.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.56e72e0eaUaFKS

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71945 on: October 12, 2020, 02:53:51 pm »

3 digit? Meh. That's not far off analogue meter accuracy >:D

My 34410A is currently showing agreement with my Transcell voltage standard (as measured by a PTB hp3458a that had been calibrated the previous day) to 6 digits (9.999577 vs 9.999571).

I wonder how long that will last? :(
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71946 on: October 12, 2020, 02:59:52 pm »

Back in the day, when I was working with a German sister company for the first time and hence had customers with multilingual names, I kept a separate database table of customer names mapped from a boiled down name using the 'soundex' algorithm. Then if someone entered a name that wasn't a direct match to an actual customer name I could pop-up a "Did you mean..." list based on a loose phonetic match (e.g. Jung and Young both boiled down to the same secondary key). Worked surprisingly well.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #71947 on: October 12, 2020, 03:02:42 pm »

MAXIM #69: FLUKE sez BAMM!!!

:-DD

mnem
Yes, I fully understand the implications. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71948 on: October 12, 2020, 03:04:03 pm »
What was your ultimate goal, replacing the Government with a few hundred lines of Python?

That's a generous estimate of the utility. I'm sure a random number generator and a double entry accounting system with "tax" and "cronies" could be knocked up in about 50 LOC of python.

Back in the day, when I was working with a German sister company for the first time and hence had customers with multilingual names, I kept a separate database table of customer names mapped from a boiled down name using the 'soundex' algorithm. Then if someone entered a name that wasn't a direct match to an actual customer name I could pop-up a "Did you mean..." list based on a loose phonetic match (e.g. Jung and Young both boiled down to the same secondary key). Worked surprisingly well.

We'd probably be shot by that the moment someone wrong gets paid commission  :-DD

My 34410A is currently showing agreement with my Transcell voltage standard (as measured by a PTB hp3458a that had been calibrated the previous day) to 6 digits (9.999577 vs 9.999571).

I learned, perhaps way too late, that when you're doing normal electronic design, that the odd 10% here and there doesn't matter that much.

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71949 on: October 12, 2020, 03:12:54 pm »

I learned, perhaps way too late, that when you're doing normal electronic design, that the odd 10% here and there doesn't matter that much.

Booorrrrriiiiinnnngggg!

I learned very early on that the real trick is to get predictable operation with components that show hideous parametric variation, transistor hFE Vbe being the canonical examples. And then to extend that to system-level behaviour.

Of course I never selected a resistor's value based on how pretty the colour code looks. Oh no, never ever ever.

Nor have I ever checked a PSU rail's voltage by merely noting how fast an analogue meter starts to move.

The concept of measuring relative charge using an slow moving ammeter is completely foreign to youngsters.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 03:16:50 pm by tggzzz »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf