Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16731329 times)

Everbrave and 75 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #71775 on: October 10, 2020, 09:36:36 pm »
If I remember correctly it was sold as working, but clearly wasn't when I tested it, one of the outputs was low & distorted and the both outputs had excessive ripple, plus the last wally to open it had put all the screws back randomly resulting in the inner shield being permanently connected to ground even with the switch or link (can't remember without looking at the back) in the floating position.  :palm:

David

P.S. Don't forget to bid on the unicorn you found, whatever it is.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 09:40:27 pm by factory »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71776 on: October 10, 2020, 10:01:52 pm »

snip...

am almost certain that my fortress of solitude contains more nixie counters than anyone else on this thread (with one possible exception).

I'm going to have to figure out how many I have here, I won't be listing the model numbers as I don't want to help the display thieves find new victims.
I've acquired saved three in the last 60 days according to ePay.

David

I've got at least 28 nixie based counters, or nixie based TE that either has a counter input or extra circuitry options or plug-ins to add counting functionality.
I'm not counting TE that doesn't yet have these options or extra circuits fitted, nor am I counting any original clocks from TE manufacturers, nor am I counting anything with other obsolete displays such as dekatrons, or individual neon lamps, etc.

David
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 10:06:10 pm by factory »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #71777 on: October 10, 2020, 10:24:51 pm »
From the SMALL VICTORIES Dept...

Survived mowing the front yard and the upper terrace of the back yard. More importantly, both father and son survived his first lessons running a mower to bag the tailings.  ;) Lower 40 tomorrow.  :-+

mnem
 :phew:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71778 on: October 10, 2020, 10:36:18 pm »
Ah yeah we get that here. I don’t go out walking and stuff until it’s fucking miserable weather and cold because they’ve all gone then  :-DD

I either walk out my front door, and am in deer infested woods within 10mins, or I hop on my bike and within 10mins I can go to a local "closed" beauty spot.

That's been closed until 2022 because so many numpties discovered it during the hot part of lockdown, and decided to have a swim in the lake built for fish. By "closed" I mean the carpark has been closed and the single-lane roads have parking cones on them.

You've got a couple of deer-infested parks or Wombledon Common nearby, or there are the lovely Surrey hills (which are also deer-infested) :)
I seem to have missed something here. Do you have a deer allergy?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #71779 on: October 10, 2020, 10:41:56 pm »
Ah yeah we get that here. I don’t go out walking and stuff until it’s fucking miserable weather and cold because they’ve all gone then  :-DD

I either walk out my front door, and am in deer infested woods within 10mins, or I hop on my bike and within 10mins I can go to a local "closed" beauty spot.

That's been closed until 2022 because so many numpties discovered it during the hot part of lockdown, and decided to have a swim in the lake built for fish. By "closed" I mean the carpark has been closed and the single-lane roads have parking cones on them.

You've got a couple of deer-infested parks or Wombledon Common nearby, or there are the lovely Surrey hills (which are also deer-infested) :)
I seem to have missed something here. Do you have a deer allergy?

They are delicious.

When I was a kid one (in Bushey Park, bd) gored my father with its antlers; no real damage but enough to make me wary of them :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71780 on: October 10, 2020, 10:48:00 pm »
Bushey park is nice. Richmond park is source of one of the funniest things ever:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71781 on: October 10, 2020, 10:59:21 pm »
Bushey park is nice. Richmond park is source of one of the funniest things ever:

I did consider referring to Richmond Park as Fenton Park :)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71782 on: October 10, 2020, 11:02:14 pm »
Regarding deer, I forgot to mention I got headbutted by one once. Definitely on the "do not fuck with" list.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71783 on: October 10, 2020, 11:06:21 pm »

snip...

am almost certain that my fortress of solitude contains more nixie counters than anyone else on this thread (with one possible exception).

I'm going to have to figure out how many I have here, I won't be listing the model numbers as I don't want to help the display thieves find new victims.

David

I've got at least 28 nixie based counters, or nixie based TE that either has a counter input or extra circuitry options or plug-ins to add counting functionality.
I'm not counting TE that doesn't yet have these options or extra circuits fitted, nor am I counting any original clocks from TE manufacturers, nor am I counting anything with other obsolete displays such as dekatrons, or individual neon lamps, etc.

David

hmmmmm.  honestly don't have a count for you off the top of my head.  but am guessing that you just squeaked past me.

am hoping that cub will step up and save our yankee honor.

edit   following your rules......counted 27.   but remember i gave med a 5248 and a 5326 when he drove down from ny this summer.   damn, would be one up if not for that.

edit 2  found another 4 that were in a stack i missed.  so thats 31 working nixie counters (did not count voltmeters, back lit neons, or any dot or 7 segment bullshit.......or the 2 that went to med).

BUT there are NO 5243's in my basement.  damn.....makes me feel almost inadequate, and am now anxious for hamfests to resume. (could take a year the way the covid has fecked us all).

can we agree to take each others word as gentlemen that our counts are accurate?  please please don't make me gather them all together for a group portrait.  that would be a major project and would surely lead to a pharmacy run for more ibuprofen.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 12:04:31 am by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #71784 on: October 10, 2020, 11:47:22 pm »
This is interesting. Vulcan's breached US air defenses not once, but twice.  :o

The worst part? We knew they were coming.  ::)

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71785 on: October 10, 2020, 11:48:50 pm »
Yes, the leads are thicker, but sometimes one has some luck and they fit.   :-/O
And the 1500mA  of the B380C1500 are continuous current, too. :) Therefore a 1N4007 is not a suitable replacement imho.   :D
Again... you're talking replacement vs temporary bodge. I say use what fits; don't molest the DUT just for testing. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

Yes, I think we are having here a different approach. Even for testing I'd use 1N5408 and not 1N4007 in this case,
even though if I'm having 1N4007 and they would fit into the holes. I saw nasty things because the rectifier diodes were overloaded and just to be 100% on the safe side, I'm pulling here a German and use the ones which can do the job for sure.  :)
What? No intermediary diodes on hand between those two?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71786 on: October 10, 2020, 11:59:10 pm »

Yep, I knew that years ago, not sure if that would be before you was told officially or not. But that was one hell of a plane, capable of very low altitude flying and as such was able to detect the radar's cone of view and as such was able to low enough to ensure that they could fly between radar stations to avoid detection. I believe that was not the only time it did that, I think it managed the same feat in other exercises around the world as well.

Its a shame that its no longer allowed to fly, I have very fond memories of it being displayed at air shows and when they opened the taps, the ground literally shook and that Vulcan Howl came from its four Rolls-Royce engines, wonderful.

British engineering at its best.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 12:00:52 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #71787 on: October 11, 2020, 12:19:54 am »
Regarding deer, I forgot to mention I got headbutted by one once. Definitely on the "do not fuck with" list.
I will challenge that one of the dumbest, most pains in the a**e creatures has to be kangaroos. You can be driving along a road - they are sitting eating grass quietly - and just as you pass THEN they decide to hop out in front of you either taking out your radiator or joining you (head injured and kicking like crazy) in the front seat.
Meeting a male in a grumpy mood - the big buggers are taller than you and can gore you with their rear legs. And they even taste a bit like venison.

Love that Fenton video! 😁
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71788 on: October 11, 2020, 12:20:58 am »

No, I think the worst part is where they still got through, despite commercial aircraft being kept on the ground both times to make your radar defences job's easy.  :-DD

Anyway, how do you know that we don't still have a effective strike capability against the U.S.? Ya might just want to scan the sky for chaps with handlebar moustaches drinking cups of tea next time before you make disparaging remarks about harbours full of the stuff.  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71789 on: October 11, 2020, 12:23:59 am »
Its a shame that its no longer allowed to fly, I have very fond memories of it being displayed at air shows and when they opened the taps, the ground literally shook and that Vulcan Howl came from its four Rolls-Royce engines, wonderful.

Think of it like this, if they were people, they'd have to re-apply for their driving licenses in two years time to make sure they were still safe on the roads.  :) Not a bad run.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71790 on: October 11, 2020, 12:34:31 am »

The Vulcans also had a surprisingly small radar cross section from the front, and several stealth-like features. Compare the overall shape and details with the B2 Spirit
Both have engines buried in the wings, so you can't detect the blades.
Both minimise sharp edges on the wing's leading edge.
The Vulcan does have a sharp tail, but that is above the wing and difficult to see when 56kft above the radar.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71791 on: October 11, 2020, 12:40:39 am »
I love local classified ads ... people are so funny.

Actual value 25k$ ...selling for 15k$ ... are we in 1965 ?  :o
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 01:15:21 am by Kosmic »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71792 on: October 11, 2020, 12:50:25 am »

Yep, I knew that years ago, not sure if that would be before you was told officially or not. But that was one hell of a plane, capable of very low altitude flying and as such was able to detect the radar's cone of view and as such was able to low enough to ensure that they could fly between radar stations to avoid detection. I believe that was not the only time it did that, I think it managed the same feat in other exercises around the world as well.

British engineering at its best.

ISTR another occasion when a Vulcan was an aggressor in some US desert exercises. It was flying low level and the US expected it to become visible/vulnerable when it had to pop up over some hills.

Unfortunately for the US, they barrel rolled the Vulcan so it didn't pop up. Yup, a barrel rolled a heavy bomber. Unlike the B52 :)

Even on the last flight, I remember seeing it stand on a wingtip over Weston-super-Mud. I also remember driving up the A46, hearing a noise, and noticing the underside of the Vulcan as it climbed out of Kemble, maybe 10km away :)

So I have seen it do things like this

But haven't seen this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-34712346

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71793 on: October 11, 2020, 12:52:46 am »

No, I think the worst part is where they still got through, despite commercial aircraft being kept on the ground both times to make your radar defences job's easy.  :-DD

Anyway, how do you know that we don't still have a effective strike capability against the U.S.? Ya might just want to scan the sky for chaps with handlebar moustaches drinking cups of tea next time before you make disparaging remarks about harbours full of the stuff.  >:D
Now one can see easily why they threw as many spanners into the gears during TSR2 development.  >:D
You can't secede from a kingdom. Except by pyrolysis.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71794 on: October 11, 2020, 12:59:16 am »
I will challenge that one of the dumbest, most pains in the a**e creatures has to be kangaroos. You can be driving along a road - they are sitting eating grass quietly - and just as you pass THEN they decide to hop out in front of you either taking out your radiator or joining you (head injured and kicking like crazy) in the front seat.
Meeting a male in a grumpy mood - the big buggers are taller than you and can gore you with their rear legs. And they even taste a bit like venison.

Love that Fenton video! 😁

The cows on Minchinhampton common are a pain. Frequently they decide to chew the cud while lying across the road. I've also seen one notice that its herd had disappeared over the brow of the hill, panic, and then zig-zag between stationary cars in a queue at a crossroads, hooves skittering every which way. Quite fun, since I wasn't in one of those cars.

That's unlike the time I was proceeding in an orderly manner up the A46 at 50mph and about 2s behind the car in front. Two deer decided to cross the road between the cars :(

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #71795 on: October 11, 2020, 01:02:44 am »

snip...

David

Yeah, I'm kind of afraid to count mine...   :o

Addictions are scary.

And good call not giving counter rapists a list of victims.   :-+ :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #71796 on: October 11, 2020, 01:08:01 am »

You don't. Your government over the years totally gutted your aircraft industry. You Brits used to be a world leader in aircraft development. But all is not lost. You could use your RAF F-35's against us. That is if you guys ever decide to actually fly them rather than trying to crack it's code.  :P :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71797 on: October 11, 2020, 01:20:10 am »

You don't. Your government over the years totally gutted your aircraft industry. You Brits used to be a world leader in aircraft development. But all is not lost. You could use your RAF F-35's against us. That is if you guys ever decide to actually fly them rather than trying to crack it's code.  :P :-DD
Oh trust me on this, we fly them alright, but not as much as I would like them to, it was the same story before when we had the Tornados, which the F-35's replaced, and this is purely down to budgetary considerations, unlike you Americans, just a few miles down the road at Lakenheath with the F15's where you can typically see about 15 or more launches most days, compared to 4 or 5 a day with the F-35's, if you are lucky that is.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71798 on: October 11, 2020, 01:22:09 am »

Who said anything about aircraft? We've lumbered you with James Corden, don't make us unleash Piers Morgan.  >:D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #71799 on: October 11, 2020, 01:22:58 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf