Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16732523 times)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #71625 on: October 09, 2020, 07:12:28 pm »
anything you do not buy but repair and reuse is good for the environment.

I don't understand those fridays for future kids or their extinction rebellion counterpart (funded by Soros ...)

All with brand new cell phones and stuff.
If they want to do some real good they go back to not buying and consuming that crap and try to farm their own veggies, rabbits, etc. gives them something to do and gets dinner on the table.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, scl, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, factory, K0ELB

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #71626 on: October 09, 2020, 07:14:57 pm »
Just nabbed another Fluke 25. Let the TE hoarding begin!

Oh, where from? I was assuming you were after the Ramco ones next week. Lots of 34401/10s there as well.
Next week?, Do you mean next week or the 23rd?

Ramco auction finishes on the 13th.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71627 on: October 09, 2020, 07:18:49 pm »

I don't understand those fridays for future kids or their extinction rebellion counterpart (funded by Soros ...)

If they want to do some real good they go back to not buying and consuming that crap and try to farm their own veggies, rabbits, etc. gives them something to do and gets dinner on the table.

Completely agree.

Not much opportunity to teach things like that here but I try and keep the kids grounded in reality. Difficult job really.

On that note I'm bloody fed up of tomatoes we grew this year now. Must have had about 500 of the bastard things and they're still going  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71628 on: October 09, 2020, 07:51:35 pm »
ok, they want me to switch departments, probably at Jan 2nd or so. Told my team lead that I would be taking along our team server as I had my software installed on it and did not want to reinstall all that special admin crap, especially all that master data crap that is falling under that EU shithole data privacy law.

He'll get a new one.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #71629 on: October 09, 2020, 08:11:47 pm »
Was he ... delighted?
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71630 on: October 09, 2020, 08:20:13 pm »
I'll install one for him. I don't have any intention of pissing him off.
I told him that it was faster to install a new one than to migrate my stuff.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:26:47 pm by Saskia »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #71631 on: October 09, 2020, 08:31:17 pm »

I'm guessing all the relay's in the 432A posted here today are for automated or remote operation.

I assume so. It's accompanied by a GPIB-almost connector on the back, and has a LOCAL/REMOTE switch inside. The relays look like Siemens Kammrelais, which can be -- it's made in (Western) Germany.

Speaking of relays. I've got a fairly large batch of STC relays, signal ones, 24VDC coils, low current capacity. Any idea if there are sockets around?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71632 on: October 09, 2020, 08:33:48 pm »

Completely agree.

Not much opportunity to teach things like that here but I try and keep the kids grounded in reality. Difficult job really.

On that note I'm bloody fed up of tomatoes we grew this year now. Must have had about 500 of the bastard things and they're still going  :-DD

Set up a small scale sale of surplus produce to neighbours etc?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71633 on: October 09, 2020, 08:37:39 pm »
Smells like hassle  :-DD

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71634 on: October 09, 2020, 08:41:43 pm »
And last, but most certainly not least, where the magic happens in the P6042. These things must be treated like Fabergé eggs, and unfortunately it looks like there may be a crack started in the top half. But, it seems to work fine, so not bad for a pennies on the dollar property auction purchase. [edit] I also confirmed that dc response is fine...it tracks my in-service P6042 perfectly.
@Oculus: Should a problem arise drop me a line. I have two untested/supposedly faulty ones somewhere. Core could be ok - or not. I will look for them only in case of need.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71635 on: October 09, 2020, 08:44:21 pm »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #71636 on: October 09, 2020, 09:03:22 pm »
I'll install one for him. I don't have any intention of pissing him off.
I told him that it was faster to install a new one than to migrate my stuff.

Yes, but I meant more the fact, that you are leaving per 2nd of January 2021.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71637 on: October 09, 2020, 09:11:54 pm »
no, I don't really think that he is happy. It has been decided for him, and we had a very "open" and "direct" communication.
I always tend to tell my bosses that they will not get a knife in their back, it will always come from where they can see it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 09:36:29 pm by Saskia »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71638 on: October 09, 2020, 09:37:23 pm »
Smells like hassle  :-DD
better than teen spirit ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71639 on: October 09, 2020, 09:39:07 pm »
if I am lucky I can negotiate a promotion ...

which would mean absolute end of career ladder (can't get higher with a non-manager job in our company).
Would also entail a nice raise. We'll see.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #71640 on: October 09, 2020, 10:12:41 pm »
That's obviously still around for something mil-spec and no other reason.  :palm:

<SNIP>
mnem
*family time*

Nope, It's still made (and they recently did a digital version of the meter, N432A $10,9991.94), not for the military (they would want the old meter) but because it can be used as a transfer standard using a digital voltmeter without the adjustment / calibration of the 432A having any affect on accuracy. This is because the thermistor bridge is balanced with DC. It is the industry standard for low level meter calibration.

Still same principle. It's because the thing is specified equipment as a requisite to some critical standards document in use in aerospace or industrial design and keeping the device current is still millions of dollars cheaper than re-engineering and certifying some newer device to that standard document.

And all too often, industrial design standards are just recycled/derived from existing mil-spec standards anyways.

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71641 on: October 09, 2020, 10:21:04 pm »

I'll take 'em.  >:D  Sliced ripe or green and fried; split in half and salted, eat 'em like a apple... I love me a tomato pretty much any way they come. 

mnem
;D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71642 on: October 09, 2020, 10:26:38 pm »
Yeah been doing that until I got ulcers in my mouth  :-DD

Ok found a unicorn on ebay. It's a very complicated and broken unicorn with three legs and half a horn but I'll fix that on arrival if no one else finds the auction or is less cheap than me.  :scared:

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #71643 on: October 09, 2020, 10:27:17 pm »
That's obviously still around for something mil-spec and no other reason.  :palm:

@Cubdriver: I bet you have a full set of spare tubes for that 545A too, doncha...? Best to put them to good use before the offspring have to take them to the tip... ;)

mnem
*family time*

Nope it's still around because it's a good quality cal standard for open loop type meters. Keysight will even service old thermistor mounts.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71644 on: October 09, 2020, 10:29:20 pm »
To be fair, keysight will service you if you throw them enough cash  :-DD

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71645 on: October 09, 2020, 10:33:36 pm »
Well yes...they quoted me $1200 for the one I have. It works fine, so I decided not to.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71646 on: October 09, 2020, 10:38:08 pm »

<SNIP>
mnem
*family time*

Nope, It's still made (and they recently did a digital version of the meter, N432A $10,9991.94), not for the military (they would want the old meter) but because it can be used as a transfer standard using a digital voltmeter without the adjustment / calibration of the 432A having any affect on accuracy. This is because the thermistor bridge is balanced with DC. It is the industry standard for low level meter calibration.

Still same principle. It's because the thing is specified equipment as a requisite to some critical standards document in use in aerospace or industrial design and keeping the device current is still millions of dollars cheaper than re-engineering and certifying some newer device to that standard document.

And all too often, industrial design standards are just recycled/derived from existing mil-spec standards anyways.

mnem

No, this exists because it can act as a transfer standard from basic DC standards to RF power measurement.  It's a bit of fundamental metrology equipment, it has no more to do with the military or any other field of endeavour than a voltmeter or an ammeter. It happens to have a quite amazing 10MHz to 10GHz range, which would be impressive in any RF power meter designed yesterday, and that combined with its transfer standard capability is why the thing is still worth manufacturing, not because it's hanging on the coat tails of some military standard, aviation standard and for "no other reason".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, mansaxel, 0culus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #71647 on: October 09, 2020, 10:53:26 pm »
Ok found a unicorn on ebay.

Do tell. When you feel you can, that is.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71648 on: October 10, 2020, 02:45:30 am »

<SNIP>
mnem
*family time*

mnem

No, this exists because it can act as a transfer standard from basic DC standards to RF power measurement.  It's a bit of fundamental metrology equipment, it has no more to do with the military or any other field of endeavour than a voltmeter or an ammeter. It happens to have a quite amazing 10MHz to 10GHz range, which would be impressive in any RF power meter designed yesterday, and that combined with its transfer standard capability is why the thing is still worth manufacturing, not because it's hanging on the coat tails of some military standard, aviation standard and for "no other reason".

So even HP hasn't come up with anything better in the 60+ years since it was released? What device is specified as the standard by which this device is validated? Bet it's another one of the same, isn't it...?

Also; are we talking about the meter here, or the mount and thermistor? The mount/thermistor I can see; there's no need for that to change, for the same reason the 84xx series sensors remain relevant. The meter itself...? come on; they have to have come up with something better by now. :palm:

mnem

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71649 on: October 10, 2020, 02:49:45 am »

<SNIP>
mnem
*family time*

mnem

So even HP hasn't come up with anything better in the 60+ years since it was released? What device is specified as the standard by which this device is validated? Bet it's another one of the same, isn't it...?

Also; are we talking about the meter here, or the mount and thermistor? The mount/thermistor I can see; there's no need for that to change, for the same reason the 84xx series sensors remain relevant. The meter itself...? come on; they have to have come up with something better by now. :palm:

mnem

https://www.keysight.com/en/pd-1842740-pn-N432A/thermistor-power-meter?cc=US&lc=eng

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf