Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16734443 times)

Carl_Smith and 80 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #71050 on: October 02, 2020, 08:37:26 pm »
Tomorrow's fun will be replacing the A15 board in my 8568B, which is a factory A->B conversion. I scored 2.5 original upgrade kits from fleabay; I don't need all that but it might be useful in the future or I could barter it with someone for another piece of gear. All I really need is the A15 board, which the partial kit comes with. The reason for all this? GPIB is 100% dead on this unit. I've already tried re-seating all the ribbon cables and stuff, but no dice.

So it's time for major surgery. I am clearing off a section of bench to make room and will take pics.  :-+

Well, getting everything out was a bit of a chore as I had to remove the back panel. The problem with GPIB was almost certainly broken conductors in the ribbon cable...it was crumpled up pretty bad like someone hadn't taken care to install the cards properly (there is one way for the ribbon cables to lay!) I replaced the rear connectors with one of the new ones I got.

Anyway, I did get some pics but I'll share them later this weekend. I gotta get this buttoned back up and back in it's place still.

On the bright side, GPIB works now! and I have a later firmware rev.  :-+ :-+

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71051 on: October 02, 2020, 08:40:10 pm »
Ah been there. I was going to use 2x D25 ribbons as a bus for my Z80 computer (another unfinished project). I used the cheap ones from Rapid and crimped them in a vice. Think they were made by TruConnect.

Alternatively buy the cable ready made if you can.

Edit: when you crimp them, insert a sacrificial opposite gender D-sub connector into the one you’re crimping so it doesn’t kill it.

Yes, sorry, 2nd time today I've had to say that because I was being too vague. I'm specifically talking about terminating individual connectors, not ribbon cable. (Immediate requirement is terminating hall-effect/rotary encoders from motors and linear scale encoders - there's a loose DB9 industry standard for their wiring.)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71052 on: October 02, 2020, 09:32:00 pm »
Doh! Good luck with that. I've only done solder bucket ones for that. It's tedious as hell. I once got volunteered to make up 20-odd DB25 null modem cables to go between Sun boxes and a console server. I was suicidal by the 5th one and definitely drunk by the 15th (as it was a pub lunch) :-DD

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71053 on: October 02, 2020, 09:41:11 pm »
Tomorrow's fun will be replacing the A15 board in my 8568B, which is a factory A->B conversion. I scored 2.5 original upgrade kits from fleabay; I don't need all that but it might be useful in the future or I could barter it with someone for another piece of gear. All I really need is the A15 board, which the partial kit comes with. The reason for all this? GPIB is 100% dead on this unit. I've already tried re-seating all the ribbon cables and stuff, but no dice.

So it's time for major surgery. I am clearing off a section of bench to make room and will take pics.  :-+

Well, getting everything out was a bit of a chore as I had to remove the back panel. The problem with GPIB was almost certainly broken conductors in the ribbon cable...it was crumpled up pretty bad like someone hadn't taken care to install the cards properly (there is one way for the ribbon cables to lay!) I replaced the rear connectors with one of the new ones I got.

Anyway, I did get some pics but I'll share them later this weekend. I gotta get this buttoned back up and back in it's place still.

We've got a serious new problem, though:...the signal level coming through the AC coupled side is now very low and not flat. The DC coupled side works fine. So, something has gone wrong at the front end it would seem. More investigation. Of course I discover this AFTER putting it back.  >:(

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #71054 on: October 02, 2020, 10:13:19 pm »
Arrivals over the past days here.

two Nuvistors from RCA, type 7895 for my R&S UGZ projector voltmeter
and some koaxial cable strippers. But don't tell Neomys Sapiens, he'll pull me at my ears.   ;D

Telegärtner BNC 50Ohm pass-through terminator. Good for 0.5W and up to 1GHz.
I've bought two of them.

Some BNC and SMA stuff, 5m of RG316 cable, BNC to SMA adapter cables.

Some more BNC and SMA connectors and adapters, some 50cm BNC RG316 cables
and the two Triax connectors from China! Reference

detailed view with higher resolution:

I think, the quality of that Triax connector isn't that bad, but I'm not convinced it is as good as one from Pomona or Amphenol.
I cannot lay my finger on something special, that's just my impression.
Unfortunately, I don't have actually any TE to test it. But if you want, I can do some more detailed pictures of the pieces and maybe also some measures with a caliper.

Now I'm having enough cables, connectors and adapters to build some DIY H- and E-field probes, based on this very nice article from Michael M.  Unfortunately it is written in German but I think you guys are smart enough to sort this out. :)
Link to the PDF document
Michael's homepage

For this, I have bought at the UKW-Tage in Weinheim in 2019 some used semi-rigid cables, which are ideally for this job.

Thank you for watching.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71055 on: October 02, 2020, 10:42:11 pm »

We've got a serious new problem, though:...the signal level coming through the AC coupled side is now very low and not flat. The DC coupled side works fine. So, something has gone wrong at the front end it would seem. More investigation. Of course I discover this AFTER putting it back.  >:(

Turned out to be a crap BNC to type N adapter. It is one of my lesser quality ones, so I will be retiring it.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #71056 on: October 02, 2020, 10:44:01 pm »

Turned out to be a crap BNC to type N adapter. It is one of my lesser quality ones, so I will be retiring it.
With a big hammer ?  :horse:  >:D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71057 on: October 02, 2020, 10:45:48 pm »

*looks over at the picture of Bob Widlar on the wall of the lab*

....maybe...just maybe.  >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #71058 on: October 02, 2020, 11:22:01 pm »
I've filled my basket with goodies two days ago at reichelt to build me a T12 soldering station with proper isolation.

This is somehow getting out of control, obviously.   :scared:

The isolation transformer and DC/DC converter alone cost more than the DC-Version of a T12-Kit (the one without power supply).   :palm:

Nevertheless, this will be fun. Also ordered two 47mF caps for filtering the input DC-voltage for the DC/DC converter.
The isolation transformer is a 160VA toroid and I will add a simple inrush current limiter to it.
The housing will be ...errm a little bit bulkier than the one of the KSGER T12 station with inbuilt power supply.

At the end of the day I'll probably have a really ESD-compliant soldering station with save isolation of the mains.   :-/O

Ummm.... these run fucking awesome off of a 6S LiPo; they can be bought as cheap as US$30 in an appropriate capacity. ULTIMATE isolation!

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 11:24:08 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71059 on: October 02, 2020, 11:40:01 pm »

I HAVE THA POWAAAAHHH!!!

Just got back from acquiring 3.3KW of DELL Server PSU juice; these will soon be part of a VERY TEA dealio with another member up here. Stay tuned! >:D

mnem
*juicy*
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 11:48:32 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71060 on: October 03, 2020, 12:23:16 am »

*looks over at the picture of Bob Widlar on the wall of the lab*

....maybe...just maybe.  >:D

Hmmm... you suppose Bob's spirit was guiding today's Thrift Store adventure on my way home...?

mnem
 >:D

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #71061 on: October 03, 2020, 01:19:02 am »

Just got back from acquiring 3.3KW of DELL Server PSU juice; these will soon be part of a VERY TEA dealio with another member up here.

Cool. Those are 1850 / 1950 series, right?

I've got a bunch of 2950 series ones, and am contemplating running my 12V gear off it. One can connect power out of them using Faston spade  terminals, and bodge them to life with dunlop style patch cords. The real connector is available, though.

Edit: Those are for 1850s, and they have been tending to die. Former employer had a 440-node 1850 cluster that saw a number of the PSUs fail. A little more than expected.

Edit: spelling
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 08:23:13 am by mansaxel »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71062 on: October 03, 2020, 02:10:10 am »
Ah been there. I was going to use 2x D25 ribbons as a bus for my Z80 computer (another unfinished project). I used the cheap ones from Rapid and crimped them in a vice. Think they were made by TruConnect.

Alternatively buy the cable ready made if you can.

Edit: when you crimp them, insert a sacrificial opposite gender D-sub connector into the one you’re crimping so it doesn’t kill it.

Yes, sorry, 2nd time today I've had to say that because I was being too vague. I'm specifically talking about terminating individual connectors, not ribbon cable. (Immediate requirement is terminating hall-effect/rotary encoders from motors and linear scale encoders - there's a loose DB9 industry standard for their wiring.)
I just thought so. But there is the catch - I really can't recommend those cheap stamped contacts for anything. Get proper massive contacts, but then you'll have to use a four-indent crimper like the Milspec ones.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71063 on: October 03, 2020, 02:33:04 am »

Playing the TINIEST Monopoly...

Yes, everything is the same scale as the money. My wife had to put on her glasses to read the property names on the board. :-DD

But when we let my daughter play, she is allowed to pay her rent in kisses... so BEST. FIVE DOLLARS SPENT. EVAR!!!  ;D

mnem
Plus... she like sucks up all the doubles... freakiest thing you ever saw. :o
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 02:35:43 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #71064 on: October 03, 2020, 03:16:42 am »

Just got back from acquiring 3.3KW of DELL Server PSU juice; these will soon be part of a VERY TEA dealio with another member up here.

Cool. Those are 1850 / 1950 series, right?

I've got a bunch of 2950 series ones, and am contemplating running my 12V gear off it. One can connect power out of them using Faston spade  terminals, and bodge them to life with dunlop style patch cords. The real connector is available, though.

Edit: Those are for 1850s, and they have been tending to die. Former employer had a 440-node 1850 cluster that saw a number of the PSUs fail. A little more that expected.

1850/2850... OMG sleepless nights... the PERC/i was a nightmare could just stop, no warning....the older 1750 and newer 1950/2950 as a total was super reliable though
But only had one defective PSU... out of many..
i should have kept a view PSU...they are indeed very nice and hi power.... nice catch!
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71065 on: October 03, 2020, 04:40:20 am »
Thanks Tony! ;D

@mansaxel: Fuggiffino. 1850 sounds right. :-DD They're one of the first we started hacking back in the day for RC LiPo chargers... probably 10 years ago now. Not as good bang/buck as the DPS-1200W (of which I've had a few dozen) used to be before the crypto-miners discovered 'em and drove the price sky-high, but still a honest 45A at 12.1V up to ~14 volt with some voltage sense modding, plus IIRC, can be isolated/floated on the DC side relatively easily to daisy-chain if you want.

IIRC, they started dumping the 1850s on the recycle centers en masse a good 8 years ago or so because of a) the newer common-slot PSUs much higher low-load efficiency and how the 1850s kept cooking the VRMs plugged into the MB to death. :-//

I'll typically make the jumpers either from a bit of perfboard/female stacking pin header or if just a quick & dirty turn-on, some 1-pin DuPont pigtails from my FTDI drawer. Outputs I usually make by soldering 4MM sockets direct to the wipers; similarly to this only vertical. Quick & cheap; works a treat.

This model may or may not be moddable for fan speed control; I'll look into that tomorrow. :-+

Also in today's Thrift Adventure: SkullCandy HESH2s in decent used condition for 7 Canadian pesos. Wiped down with alcohol and new earpads off AliEx for another 7 Canadian pesos (I ponied for the fast shipping from the US :-DD); so net a hair over US$10. They're a excellent 20-20K 40mm driver everyday headset known to be comfortable for long hours. :-+

mnem
*toddles off to ded*

« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 04:53:28 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, tonyalbus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71066 on: October 03, 2020, 04:51:03 am »

Gotta love the cheesy action movie sequence at the beginning.  :-DD In all seriousness, though, these little radar sets were pretty neat and by all accounts used to great effect (along with early IR riflescopes) in Vietnam to detect Viet Cong ambushes on fire bases at night and remove their advantages in the dark.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #71067 on: October 03, 2020, 08:46:48 am »
For this occasion i even vaccumed the place.... :-DD
Welcome to my Lab.

Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

The following users thanked this post: BravoV, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Teti, Specmaster, bd139, URI, BILLPOD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71068 on: October 03, 2020, 08:48:34 am »

Playing the TINIEST Monopoly...

Yes, everything is the same scale as the money. My wife had to put on her glasses to read the property names on the board. :-DD

But when we let my daughter play, she is allowed to pay her rent in kisses... so BEST. FIVE DOLLARS SPENT. EVAR!!!  ;D

mnem
Plus... she like sucks up all the doubles... freakiest thing you ever saw. :o
Arh,  monopoly great game that can take simply ages to complete, without cheating that is. I have never seen one as small as that though. Was it another thrift store find?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 08:57:55 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71069 on: October 03, 2020, 08:56:50 am »
Wow, I have just had a pleasant surprise, reading my many emails this morning and I came across one from DPD and I almost dismissed it as a repeat of yesterday’s one, informing me that the TTi power supply that IT sent me would be delivered on Monday. But no, this one says that they are bringing it to me today between 10:15 and 11:15, great news, I’ll soon have another TTi item on my bench.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71070 on: October 03, 2020, 09:00:49 am »
Lucky there. All my shit is arriving on Monday  >:(

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71071 on: October 03, 2020, 09:10:44 am »

Gotta love the cheesy action movie sequence at the beginning.  :-DD In all seriousness, though, these little radar sets were pretty neat and by all accounts used to great effect (along with early IR riflescopes) in Vietnam to detect Viet Cong ambushes on fire bases at night and remove their advantages in the dark.

That’s pretty awesome. I’ve added it to my YT queue for this evening during discord

(Along with Tony’s lab tour  :-DD)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, 0culus, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71072 on: October 03, 2020, 09:50:48 am »
DPD have been and the new PL310 is sitting in the hall for now, too much to do for the next few days to get around to opening it even, photos to follow when I do  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #71073 on: October 03, 2020, 10:18:29 am »
Yes!! My LCR meter arrived... RuoShui VC4090C  (victor company)
From the official store but via Ali... only these guys put the actual value on the box... needed to pay 30% import taxes.. :--
And the RuoShui allready was a bit more expensive the EastTester., with same spec/buttons (prob. same inside)
But this one has a much nicer front and has an English manual, the Easter does not.

If one of you has the EastTester... i am happy to put a download link, after i have scan it in the comments of teh video i will make.

[Edit] Can confirm the PCB is the same... is says ET44 ... the type of EastTester are ET4401 ,4402. 4410... i just bought an expensive ET but with a propper metal case.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 03:08:36 pm by tonyalbus »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71074 on: October 03, 2020, 10:51:03 am »
I've only done solder bucket ones for that. It's tedious as hell. I once got volunteered to make up 20-odd DB25 null modem cables to go between Sun boxes and a console server. I was suicidal by the 5th one and definitely drunk by the 15th (as it was a pub lunch) :-DD

It is only after the last cable being soldered to the SCSI connector that you find out you forgot to place the housing onto the cable...
Don't ask why I know this...

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, syau, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf