Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16740163 times)

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #70900 on: October 01, 2020, 05:51:23 am »
Ok apparently plugging my headset into my T495s on Linux causes the kernel to dump core ffs  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Back on windows, have rolled back the realtek driver fuckery which was apparently installed by lenovo thinkvantage and it works again.

That was short lived.

We all know you switch gear and opinion faster than most people swap underwear.   :-DD

The thing slowly undermining you is the fact that you -- in the moment -- declare the change to be final. ("Never again! This is it!")

Pattern observation, however, gives a prognosis that it's highly unlikely that this will be so.  You even declared that a week or two back; saying something like "The key is that I keep an ability to switch environments fast while keeping work going".

OTOH, don't stop, it's enjoying to watch.  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70901 on: October 01, 2020, 06:02:32 am »
Ok apparently plugging my headset into my T495s on Linux causes the kernel to dump core ffs  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Back on windows, have rolled back the realtek driver fuckery which was apparently installed by lenovo thinkvantage and it works again.

That was short lived.

We all know you switch gear and opinion faster than most people swap underwear.   :-DD

The thing slowly undermining you is the fact that you -- in the moment -- declare the change to be final. ("Never again! This is it!")

Pattern observation, however, gives a prognosis that it's highly unlikely that this will be so.  You even declared that a week or two back; saying something like "The key is that I keep an ability to switch environments fast while keeping work going".

OMG, nailed it.  :-+ :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70902 on: October 01, 2020, 06:04:45 am »
I esp like that it includes the Holy Trinity,  '3 in 1' , very considerate. 😁

I thought discussing religion was verboten.  :-// ;D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #70903 on: October 01, 2020, 06:39:30 am »
I give up. After multiple attempts to convert the translated QRV-HB100 article to .pdf without copying it to a fucking Word document first, I cut my losses and just zipped the .html. :palm:

EDIT:   And now I see that the problem was Gurrgle all along; they have some DRM crap in the document so it will only open in a new window at Google Translate. The .html below is useless. |O

mnem
Google, man.

Sorted that for you: https://cb.wunderkis.de/wk-pub/HB100_QRV.pdf

Edit: That's the article mentioned on the first page, the link from within the PDF doesn't work: http://www.ham-radio.com/sbms/presentations/Walt_Clark/DROplexer.pdf

Awrrrrresome! This is the kind of Macgyver-fyin' that makes me think "Maybe, someday, I'll actually get into this shit instead of just for my FPV..."  :-DD

Thanks for fixing it... after several rounds of different browsers and print-to-pdf plugins repeatedly , I actually braved the raw .html to try and find the source document, but my . Then, feeling utterly defeated, I just went found a nice quiet corner to lick my.... wounds.  :P

mnem
ow.

Never mind. It's been as easy as "Context menu -> This frame -> Show only this frame -> Print to mozilla.pdf"
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #70904 on: October 01, 2020, 06:44:32 am »
Open, Short, Lord ?!?  :o

Not sure what the "Lord" will look like on the VNA  :-DD
You've never needed a saviour when working with RF?

The other way. Working RF without a saviour is absolutely not recommended. The crap never cooperates without divine consent.  |O

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70905 on: October 01, 2020, 06:50:23 am »

That was short lived.

This is mostly my inner evaluation monologue leaking into my normal life. We all do this sort of stuff regularly. Think of all those times you all bought something on here and it was a lemon. I think my calculated risk vs return rate is quite good. As for why run like this, 25% of my job is sticking my dick in every hole and see which ones bite. Thus avoiding escalating mistakes into ones being made by large development and operations teams. Seems to scale across other areas of life as well (apart from redheads)  :-DD

Really the point is agility is a survival trait. Agility comes from disparate experience. Disparate experience comes from doing everything all the time.

Yesterday’s Lenovo fun had no impact as I was running Ubuntu off a USB-C external disk so rolling back was pulling the disk out and carrying on. Experiment over. The issue turns out to be the version of Realtek audio drivers that lenovo ship have a compatibility issue with a Dolby component. This pisses about 2000 events a minute into the event log. Thus removing them with driver rollback to the default WHQL MSFT provided drivers solves the problem.

On Linux I learned that the audio issue was not a hardware issue but a software one. The evaluation criteria I have for “works” on a desktop is an spreadsheet which is about 200 odd test cases long. I got to case 81 which was “WebGL works in preferred browser” and was impressed. Hit case 82, test plantronics headset, plugged it in and hard lock, rebooted then did it again with console open instead of X and bam, kernel crash. Evaluation failed.

The only things that have passed these test cases so far are windows and OSX. Unfortunately due to the VPN component I require being deprecated on OSX due to the removal of kernel loadable modules this was added to evaluation and it now fails. So I’m stuck with windows or Linux (if they ever fix all the shitty little bugs)

There is science behind this :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:02:44 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mansaxel

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #70906 on: October 01, 2020, 07:02:03 am »
Open, Short, Lord ?!?  :o

Not sure what the "Lord" will look like on the VNA  :-DD

Maybe it will be a 180 deg phase shift...a DROL...ok I'll show myself out now.

Possible meanings of "LORD"
  • LORD   Legend of the Red Dragon (BBS role playing game)
  • LORD   Loyal Organisation for Rural Development (India)
  • LORD   List Of Required Documents
  • LORD   Late-Onset Retinal Degeneration
  • LORD   Locally-Optimum Rank Detector
  • LORD   Livre des Origines du Rat Domestique
  • LORD   Loyal Order of the Ruptured Duck
  • LORD   Lunar Orbital Radio Detector

Source: The Internet
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:06:48 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70907 on: October 01, 2020, 07:26:52 am »

That was short lived.

This is mostly my inner evaluation monologue leaking into my normal life. We all do this sort of stuff regularly. Think of all those times you all bought something on here and it was a lemon. I think my calculated risk vs return rate is quite good. As for why run like this, 25% of my job is sticking my dick in every hole and see which ones bite. Thus avoiding escalating mistakes into ones being made by large development and operations teams. Seems to scale across other areas of life as well (apart from redheads)  :-DD

Really the point is agility is a survival trait. Agility comes from disparate experience. Disparate experience comes from doing everything all the time.

Yesterday’s Lenovo fun had no impact as I was running Ubuntu off a USB-C external disk so rolling back was pulling the disk out and carrying on. Experiment over. The issue turns out to be the version of Realtek audio drivers that lenovo ship have a compatibility issue with a Dolby component. This pisses about 2000 events a minute into the event log. Thus removing them with driver rollback to the default WHQL MSFT provided drivers solves the problem.

On Linux I learned that the audio issue was not a hardware issue but a software one. The evaluation criteria I have for “works” on a desktop is an spreadsheet which is about 200 odd test cases long. I got to case 81 which was “WebGL works in preferred browser” and was impressed. Hit case 82, test plantronics headset, plugged it in and hard lock, rebooted then did it again with console open instead of X and bam, kernel crash. Evaluation failed.

The only things that have passed these test cases so far are windows and OSX. Unfortunately due to the VPN component I require being deprecated on OSX due to the removal of kernel loadable modules this was added to evaluation and it now fails. So I’m stuck with windows or Linux (if they ever fix all the shitty little bugs)

Generally speaking, I find that Windows10 just works fine until you try to run some older programs that were designed using earlier versions. It is as if the original programmer used certain routines that were in the kernel instead of writing their own, in order to keep the resultant code as short as possible. This “routine” was at location “x” but the location moved in Windows 10 and hence the errors appearing.

I don’t think that I’ve ever noticed problems when running older Microsoft programs on Win10. Of course YMMV.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #70908 on: October 01, 2020, 07:33:38 am »
@Neomys Sapiens:

Are these crimping pliers any good? I want them for crimping BNC connectors on RG316 and RG400 cable

TOOLCRAFT PZ-505 818645

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392718039113

Plan B would be a Knipex 97 52 50:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/353127955942

R U kidding me? Tooolcraft? Blech!

On the other side, that Knipex is not cheap. For that price you could score a M22520/5-01 with a fitting insert, if you forego cosmetic perfection.  I even saw one (without insert) below 100.- on ebay.de.

One of the few SUCCESFULL aquisition in the last month were the fixed-die Suhner crimp pliers for both 50R and 75R BNC/TNC. The seller did offer one again, but I can't say whether there are still more. I payed around 10.- for one and 20.- for the other.

If you need the BNC/TNC inserts for the M22520/5-01 or the M22520/10-01 identified by Mil and Mfg. ID, just drop me a note.

I already thought that you will pull me by the ears because of the toolcraft.  ;D
But in my defense I was left unsupervised I liked the flexibility of it.

I had a look at the pliers from Daniels, very nice! Thank you!

But I think I'll go after the Knipex because I can use it for RG58/59/400 RG174/316 the same time without changing the crimping inserts.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #70909 on: October 01, 2020, 07:40:39 am »

That was short lived.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70910 on: October 01, 2020, 08:05:15 am »
Exactly  :-DD

Edit: quick note ... I ordered something from Amazon USA as they didn't have it in stock in UK. Fully customs cleared via their clearing service. Paid £10 for delivery on it which wasn't a whole lot. This was 2pm yesterday. It is out for delivery today via UPS already!?!?!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 08:11:19 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #70911 on: October 01, 2020, 08:39:43 am »

And very much appreciated. Thanks. Both for the humour and the relentless exploring.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #70912 on: October 01, 2020, 08:43:31 am »

Possible meanings of "LORD"
  • LORD   Legend of the Red Dragon (BBS role playing game)
  • LORD   Loyal Organisation for Rural Development (India)
  • LORD   List Of Required Documents
  • LORD   Late-Onset Retinal Degeneration
  • LORD   Locally-Optimum Rank Detector
  • LORD   Livre des Origines du Rat Domestique
  • LORD   Loyal Order of the Ruptured Duck
  • LORD   Lunar Orbital Radio Detector

Source: The Internet

Maybe I'm late to the party, but surely, if all you're using daily is Chinese script, LORD and LOAD, especially if in some plotter-derived font, are pretty hard to distinguish. Actually, you probably can be a native Latin script reader, as long as you're RF unaware.

/Hits himself, carefully, with Occams razor

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70913 on: October 01, 2020, 08:58:25 am »

Edit: quick note ... I ordered something from Amazon USA as they didn't have it in stock in UK. Fully customs cleared via their clearing service. Paid £10 for delivery on it which wasn't a whole lot. This was 2pm yesterday. It is out for delivery today via UPS already!?!?!
Wow, if they do then thats impressive. You just have to hope and pray that they sent it to Twickenham UK and not Twickenham, Oregon, USA  :-DD

On a different topic, for those drivers at least based here in the UK with access to a local Home Bargains store (not available on the web  :palm:) and your car is needing some new wiper blades and has the newer "Aero" type of blades, then check out in store for your size of blade. Cheapest for my car in Halfords is £28 thats for 1 x 18" and 1 x 24" blade, all blades regardless of size in Home Bargains, £1.99 each. I shall be fitting mine shortly.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70914 on: October 01, 2020, 09:00:57 am »

I can always count on UPS. Between 1130 and 1200 hours, delivered.

Fed Ex is OK.

USPS has their sucko moments.

No Herpes here...thankfully.  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70915 on: October 01, 2020, 09:02:48 am »
On a different topic, for those drivers at least based here in the UK with access to a local Home Bargains store (not available on the web  :palm:) and your car is needing some new wiper blades and has the newer "Aero" type of blades, then check out in store for your size of blade. Cheapest for my car in Halfords is £28 thats for 1 x 18" and 1 x 24" blade, all blades regardless of size in Home Bargains, £1.99 each. I shall be fitting mine shortly.  :-+

Nice. That's quite handy to know actually as my local Currys / PC world, a 5 minute walk away, is being replaced with a Home Bargains at the moment and my wipers are nearly fucked. Thanks for the tip  :-+. I was buying Bosch ones off ebay but they fall to bits after a few months usually so worth a try.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70916 on: October 01, 2020, 09:07:40 am »
I'm awaiting the delivery of my new upgraded dashcam from Amazon, ordered yesterday, delivery was scheduled for Friday, however just had an email, its out for delivery today, seems that Amazon are pulling out all the stops now. New cam has improved resolution, from 1080p to 1440p, ability to add in a rear camera as well, has Wi-Fi so files can be downloaded to phone or tablet etc and also will accept 128G SD cards for upto 8hours of recording before it starts to overwrite earlier footage  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70917 on: October 01, 2020, 09:12:58 am »

Nice. That's quite handy to know actually as my local Currys / PC world, a 5 minute walk away, is being replaced with a Home Bargains at the moment and my wipers are nearly fucked. Thanks for the tip  :-+. I was buying Bosch ones off ebay but they fall to bits after a few months usually so worth a try.
I'm not sure what make is currently fitted to the car, but they are the originals and now 7 years old, and still wipe clean but I thought I'd treat it to new blades as I have to park under a fecking tree and it sheds bloody catkins in the spring all over the bloody wipers and this time of year, thousands of little leaves that keep getting under the blades, meaning I have to regularly wipe them clean. If the new ones last as long I'll be very happy.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70918 on: October 01, 2020, 10:00:29 am »
Update on my delivery from Amazon of the new dashcam, new email, delivery will now be tomorrow before 9PM, eh  :wtf:, what was the earlier email about then  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #70919 on: October 01, 2020, 10:16:31 am »
Update on my delivery from Amazon of the new dashcam, new email, delivery will now be tomorrow before 9PM, eh  :wtf:, what was the earlier email about then  :palm:

Correct: "Was kümmert mich mein Geschwätz von gestern, ..."

Translation: "What do I care about the rubbish I said yesterday?"

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #70920 on: October 01, 2020, 10:27:53 am »
Anybody in need of some nice multimeters from BEHA? NAWTS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402468426523

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70921 on: October 01, 2020, 10:28:52 am »
I love the warm glow of vacuum tubes in the morning...... :-+ ;D

It was chilly in here. Not now with the portable bench heater.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus, K0ELB

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #70922 on: October 01, 2020, 10:31:30 am »

What a crying shame. Doesn't ship to USA. How will I get over this?  :P :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70923 on: October 01, 2020, 10:34:03 am »

Those have a certain resemblance to Fluke 27 meters.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #70924 on: October 01, 2020, 10:38:30 am »

What a crying shame. Doesn't ship to USA. How will I get over this?  :P :-DD

I could play packet proxy, like a BU508A-powered GSP.   8)   ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf