Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18058470 times)

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #69875 on: September 19, 2020, 04:38:22 pm »
New project for me, it's my parent house in Italy:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/upgrade-apartment-intercom-(with-ethernet)-and-mesh-wifi-any-suggestions/

if you guys have any suggestions please jump in. Thanks.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69876 on: September 19, 2020, 04:41:39 pm »
oh Gawd, umm Odin, how many pages did you fill during those few days that I was not really online ?

Looting Reichelt was successful, and I made progress with the speakers.

Discord anyone, tonite ?
Will attend, at least for some time.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69877 on: September 19, 2020, 04:48:56 pm »
RANDOM MODE:

Just stumbled across this at Homeowner Hell while shopping moulding for a bathroom project:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/alexandria-moulding-metal-flat-bar-mira-lustre-1-8-inch-x-1-inch-x-8-ft-/1000675915

8 feet of 1/8" x 1" clear anodized aluminum bar stock for ~US$12. Simply fabulous...   

mnem
 :popcorn:

What is it that makes you remark on it? Aluminium Warehouse here (not the cheapest nor the best metals supplier) has 2.5m lengths of the same for £8.36 (ex VAT, about $14 CAD, $10.80 USD), £10.03 (inc VAT, $17.10 CAD, $12.96 USD). So it's a fair price, but not an especially good one.

Or is it just that it is shiny?  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69878 on: September 19, 2020, 04:50:21 pm »
Ikea sofa assembled. Chicken badness next and then back to the HM605. Today is hard work  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69879 on: September 19, 2020, 04:51:48 pm »
Enabling is what we do best. You're welcome.  :-+ ;D

Now in order for you to be fully accepted into the club you have to turn your pictures right side up.  :P :-DD

Yeah, that's strange. The damn things were right side up when they uploaded.

Must be using an iphone......apple crap.

Med, just because you haven't figured out how to hold it the right way up doesn't necessarily mean that there's anything wrong with the product.  >:D

I won't have to figure it out because even if it were last smart phone on earth I won't buy one.  :--
Med, I think I'm with you on that one, good as they maybe, I just agree with their business model and ethics. Now watch all the Apple fanboys go in to a tizzie about that  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69880 on: September 19, 2020, 04:52:23 pm »
I think I found a pix of Saskia.  :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, ch_scr, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69881 on: September 19, 2020, 04:55:32 pm »
RANDOM MODE:

Just stumbled across this at Homeowner Hell while shopping moulding for a bathroom project:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/alexandria-moulding-metal-flat-bar-mira-lustre-1-8-inch-x-1-inch-x-8-ft-/1000675915

8 feet of 1/8" x 1" clear anodized aluminum bar stock for ~US$12. Simply fabulous...   

mnem
 :popcorn:
The link is not working, I'm getting Access Denied error report on my PC.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69882 on: September 19, 2020, 04:57:00 pm »

Whats not to like, as long as the gun barrel is not pointed at me, I'd be happy  :-DD

Edit, I can't but think, it's a good job those hot cartridges are ejected forwards  :-+
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 04:58:46 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #69883 on: September 19, 2020, 04:57:14 pm »
That was sooo clear ...   :-DD

Sorry, but that is so half-hearted that I can't see how it could be useful.

That's simple. I just want to keep an eye on the mains voltages and how much current some gear is drawing.
It don't need to be super accurate, just to have an idea of the ball park. Besides that, I like the coloured displays.  :D

First, you should not discard the thought of three-phase loads too early. So have at least one CEE outlet in reach and the instrumentation should also be able to cope with that.

*sigh*
Yes, I know deep in my little heart that you are somehow right and I would probably
regret it one day if I do not mount a 16A CEKON in the lab.

Second, what do you want to do with 115V 50Hz outlets? Get a rotary converter so that you can have a true 120/240V 60Hz supply!
Also, have you looked at a standard Pruefschattafel?
 >:D

I have a Grundig RT5A but this I want to use it just only for repairing things.
The idea is: sometimes there is interesting gear around which does only 115V, e.g. these nice power supplies from Power Design. And then I thought, if I have some dedicated electrical outlets for 115V this could be nice. And insulating transformers for 230V~/115V~ 1500VA aren't that expensive.

And yes, a Prüfschalttafel would be very nice.  :D

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline K0ELB

• Contributor
« Reply #69884 on: September 19, 2020, 04:57:27 pm »
[ Specified attachment is not available ]

2nd, build a wheeled cart for it. I originally built it for a 7603N but made it wide enough to accommodate a larger 7000 series as well as an older 500 series scope. I modified it for 7000 series plug-in storage and behind the door is more storage. I also added a collapsible side table for paperwork.

I forgot to mention, I got a cart for free when I bought the 7904. No room in the house for it yet....
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 05:11:05 pm by K0ELB »
Confirmed Tektronix Addict, currently have in use a 556, RM556, 547, 545, three 575 Mod122C curve tracers, two Type 130 LC meters, 75A Power Test Set, Engineering Power Supply, 561A, 564B, 565, 7904, 422, 435 RM503, RM504, RM181, Type 184, two Type 114, 067-0502-01 Calibration Fixture, and plugins

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69885 on: September 19, 2020, 05:01:43 pm »
oh Gawd, umm Odin, how many pages did you fill during those few days that I was not really online ?

Looting Reichelt was successful, and I made progress with the speakers.

Discord anyone, tonite ?
Yeah, I should be there sometime this evening.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69886 on: September 19, 2020, 05:03:11 pm »
Yep will be on discord as well. Should have the HM605 sorted by then. What a shit show that was inside. Much better now.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69887 on: September 19, 2020, 05:05:30 pm »
Get any RTX3080s?  :-DD

https://www.pcmag.com/news/how-a-bot-bought-dozens-of-rtx-3080-units-before-consumers-could-grab-them

I may make it to Discord... if the lawnmower doesn't eat me.

mnem
 :scared:
How is that toe/claw of yours doing? Is it wise to be using a lawn mower given the situation  >:D :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69888 on: September 19, 2020, 05:11:46 pm »

Don't be silly. Saskia would have the good sense to have the thing at her shoulder and would actually be aiming shots rather than randomly peppering the aether with rounds.

Edited to add: This is actually a great lesson in how not to fire any firearm if you're planning in hitting your target. Note the white knuckle grip on both hands, and unstable stance that changes from shot to shot. The grip should be loose, the muzzle ought to return to where it was when you fired the weapon, if it doesn't you've almost certainly missed. This lass would be lucky to hit a barn door at 20 paces.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 05:21:08 pm by Cerebus »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, 0culus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #69889 on: September 19, 2020, 05:41:55 pm »
Skill with firearms isn't going to be the reason the young lady is in the clip. Yes, the pun was deliberate. No, I don't care if you don't like puns.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69890 on: September 19, 2020, 05:55:37 pm »
So what's this? It better not be a gas generator. Didn't order that.  :-//

Whatever it is it was packed very well.

A Tek 310A. Front panel looks good. No damage. But it sure is filthy. Covers look decent too, just dirty. If they clean up no painting will be required. Handle broken, no big deal.

Is it complete and unmolested on the inside? The seller wasn't too forthcoming with that info and I asked twice. I was worried it suffered from audiophool tube rape. If it was raped I was gonna go ape shit and file a complaint. Well, good news. Unmolested but absolutely filthy. What a neat design with the clamshell opening.

First order of business. A good cleaning. 2nd order. Recap (of course). Both electrolytics and it's got suspect tubulars too. They will all get replaced before there's any attempt at power up.   

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, Specmaster, Kosmic, syau, 0culus, tonyalbus, K0ELB

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69891 on: September 19, 2020, 06:09:42 pm »
(Attachment Link)

2nd, build a wheeled cart for it. I originally built it for a 7603N but made it wide enough to accommodate a larger 7000 series as well as an older 500 series scope. I modified it for 7000 series plug-in storage and behind the door is more storage. I also added a collapsible side table for paperwork.

I forgot to mention, I got a cart for free when I bought the 7904. No room in the house for it yet....

That's a 500 series cart. I also spy either a 475 or 475A in that pile. Also some 500 series vertical plug-in's. You need to get a boatanchor 500 series to go along with them. Can't make out what is on the bottom shelf?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69892 on: September 19, 2020, 06:16:48 pm »
Skill with firearms isn't going to be the reason the young lady is in the clip. Yes, the pun was deliberate. No, I don't care if you don't like puns.

People who like puns never care how much suffering they are inflicting on others. For this they should be punnished.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline K0ELB

• Contributor
« Reply #69893 on: September 19, 2020, 06:18:50 pm »

That's a 500 series cart. I also spy either a 475 or 475A in that pile. Also some 500 series vertical plug-in's. You need to get a boatanchor 500 series to go along with them. Can't make out what is on the bottom shelf?

Yes, it's a 465, and on the bottom is a 7313 for parts. I've been looking for a 556 locally but they're non-existent.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 02:18:44 am by K0ELB »
Confirmed Tektronix Addict, currently have in use a 556, RM556, 547, 545, three 575 Mod122C curve tracers, two Type 130 LC meters, 75A Power Test Set, Engineering Power Supply, 561A, 564B, 565, 7904, 422, 435 RM503, RM504, RM181, Type 184, two Type 114, 067-0502-01 Calibration Fixture, and plugins

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #69894 on: September 19, 2020, 06:37:41 pm »

People who like puns never care how much suffering they are inflicting on others. For this they should be punnished.

>:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, 0culus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #69895 on: September 19, 2020, 06:51:21 pm »
Made some RG174 BNC to BNC leads this afternoon. Finally I can connect sig gen (such as it is) to scope directly. Display much clearer as a result.

Been relearning LTSpice, think it's time to pour another Sour and Cranky and connect to Discord...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #69896 on: September 19, 2020, 06:58:41 pm »
Yes yes yes!!  8) 8)
Fluke 8200A fully working ... :box:
Love my WD40  contact cleaner........ :-DD

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, BILLPOD

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #69897 on: September 19, 2020, 07:05:37 pm »

Don't be silly. Saskia would have the good sense to have the thing at her shoulder and would actually be aiming shots rather than randomly peppering the aether with rounds.

Edited to add: This is actually a great lesson in how not to fire any firearm if you're planning in hitting your target. Note the white knuckle grip on both hands, and unstable stance that changes from shot to shot. The grip should be loose, the muzzle ought to return to where it was when you fired the weapon, if it doesn't you've almost certainly missed. This lass would be lucky to hit a barn door at 20 paces.

Yup...some people have watched too many crappy action flicks.  :palm:

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #69898 on: September 19, 2020, 07:07:14 pm »
Enablers. That's what y'all are, a bunch of enablers.

I recently became a ham last year, and decided that I wanted to fix my own gear as opposed to paying someone else to do something that I can do myself. Saving money that way, ya know. So, I quickly became a boat anchor radio fan, you know, because tubes are far cooler than solid state, and things that can kill you are always cooler than those that can't. My only rule of acquisition is that it has to be something I can use.

Anyway, I decided that I needed some essential test equipment, so at first I bought an oscilloscope, gotta have one of those. New digital ones are out of my reach, so I bought a boat anchor, a Tektronix 561A. It works great, but no way to verify transmit frequency, so I needed a spectrum analyzer. After a lot of research, I decided that the best bang-for-the-buck would be an HP 8568B. So I bought one. Then found a second RF section with the cables for cheap, so I bought it too. You know, for "spares". Good idea, right?

Then I needed to align my 75A-4, and needed an RF signal generator. More research, and decided on an HP 8640B. I found one local for $200, so I bought it. Then found an HP 3300A Function Generator for $50, and bought it to. The same local guy selling the 8640B also had a bunch of Tektronix gear, so I bought a 7904 with a bunch of plug ins (and a plug in extender board!) as well as a couple of Tektronix TM504 mainframes, with more plug ins. I have a DMM, a couple of counters, an oscillator, and a few more plug ins as spares.

I thought my test equipment needs were met, until I started reading this thread.

Then I came across equipment that I had no idea existed. I suddenly realised that I needed another counter, this time with nixie tubes, because nixie tubes are cool. So I bought an HP 5245L this week and it arrived yesterday. Seems to work ok, but two of the nixie tubes will have to be replaced I think, because they're "flickering" on certain numbers. Got to get that sorted.

At the beginning of this year, all I had was the Tektronix 561A and a couple of Kenwood TS-830S' and a TS-820S. Now I have a whole wall of radios and test equipment, with more in the garage because I simply don't have anymore room in the living room to put them.

And now I have a want for a good power supply, and I have no idea why....

Yes, yes...good. Another has been assimilated.  >:D

Very nice stuff!  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, K0ELB

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69899 on: September 19, 2020, 07:10:56 pm »
Ok HM605 done and working. Was a complete bastard. Had to remove one of the boards to get at stuff.

Quick reminder of the crime the original owner committed. Unfortunately the two 47uF capacitors don't add up to 220uF which is what is supposed to be in there and the actual 220uF one had gone high ESR.

Patient ready for surgery

After much futzing around, the following bastards (said like Gene Hunt) were removed:

New Panasonic and Nichicon parts stuffed and board cleaned thoroughly. The underside, not pictured here, was disgusting. The gorilla who fixed it last time epoxied the new capacitors on so I had to skin them and remove them. This left a bit of a mess on the board which would have been pretty difficult to remove as the boards are FR4.

Reassembled and plumbing reconnected

Quick power up test examining one of its previous organs with the component tester.

Final tests done on it now after full reassembly and it's a winner. Traces are pin sharp. I'll calibrate it properly when the SDS1032X arrives  :-+
« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 07:12:52 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, Kosmic, 0culus, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf